• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Bloodborne doesn't get good, you do.

It didn't click for me until I cleared Old Yharnam and killed the BSB. And then I got to Amelia and hit my head against a wall. I gave up.

Went back to it 2 years later and got to Amelia again. Wall.

Went back to it a month ago, whooped Amelia's ass, and now I'm at the end of the game.

Also, the beginning sucks fighting all the villagers and stuff. Especially if you pick the wrong weapon. You can't level up yet either.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat Vanguard in Demon's Souls, when the hell does this game get good? I dont get the hype

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've had it since launch.

I've bought the DLC for it.

Yet i've never really...got IN to Bloodborne. I have the trophy for Father Gascoigne earned years ago, but earlier this year I beat Demon's Souls for the first time, and Bloodborne's transforming weapons are sexy.

I've started replaying it, and I'm a bit past Gascoigne this time. I've read somewhere that the beginning is considered the worst part, so when does it pick up?
I wouldn't agree with that at all. Central Yharnam is one of my favorite From Software areas.

But Bloodborne certainly has some major surprises in store later on in the game.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I've had it since launch.

I've bought the DLC for it.

Yet i've never really...got IN to Bloodborne. I have the trophy for Father Gascoigne earned years ago, but earlier this year I beat Demon's Souls for the first time, and Bloodborne's transforming weapons are sexy.

I've started replaying it, and I'm a bit past Gascoigne this time. I've read somewhere that the beginning is considered the worst part, so when does it pick up?
One thing you can tell from the thread if you look past all the positivity (I, too, love Bloodborne) is that there is a lot of variety of opinions on what parts of the game are the best.

I personally, like you, was sort mixed about the opening area. Even on multiple playthroughs I still have to adjust--the part where you're dealing with those hunch-backed dudes and there are crows, and walking on rafters and etc...I have no idea where tf I even am.

You may very well like later areas much better. IMO they are structurally a lot easier to parse, and you'll be more comfortable with the combat too.

I wouldn't give it too horribly much longer, though. If you're not taken in by the time you're running through Old Yharnam, it's probably not your game.

OP
OP
GARlock Spiral
Dec 21, 2017
I spent a good bit of the weekend getting my ass kicked by Vicar Amelia. Multiple times. Not even using Henrietta as a distraction or setting things on fire helped.

So I went left into the forest and murdered some Witches and a Blood-Starved Beast while conquering Old Yharnam, which was a memorable level! After those two, I figured i'd take on Amelia once again. And this time, she went down with less resistance than last time!

At what point in between now and the finale should I access the DLC?

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
when does it get good? lol

more like "when will this masterpiece of a game stop kicking my ass?"

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I spent a good bit of the weekend getting my ass kicked by Vicar Amelia. Multiple times. Not even using Henrietta as a distraction or setting things on fire helped.

So I went left into the forest and murdered some Witches and a Blood-Starved Beast while conquering Old Yharnam, which was a memorable level! After those two, I figured i'd take on Amelia once again. And this time, she went down with less resistance than last time!

DLC becomes accessible halfway through the game but is endgame content. Wait until you are near the end to do it.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017

In my opinion the DLC is a lot tougher than the base game and is best enjoyed right at the end, when the game makes it very obvious that you're about to face the final boss. Although it's always worth a look during your playthrough to find DLC weapons... :D

Edit: Glad to see that you enjoyed Old Yharnam, I think the game clicked for me when I defeated the boss. But what made it memorable was how Djura (the hunter shooting at us) walked off the ledge when I went back to the ladder after being too scared to keep fighting him. Just walked on my head and *poof* Excellent A.I. (Glad I eventually figured out how to talk to him in later playthroughs)

Last edited:

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The doll will comment on each DLC boss you defeat up until you beat the Wet Nurse in the main story. So if you care about the extra lore stuff and don't want to wait until your second play through, tackle the DLC before finishing that boss. After Wet Nurse is also the last chance to fight the DLC before the story cuts you off, then you won't be able to access it again until your second playthrough and after clearing Vicar Amelia again. But like also keep in mind the DLC is endgame content, so if you do choose to beat it before the end it'll consequently make the final story bosses really easy.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Depending how brave you are, as late as possible. The dlc difficulty is endgame level, and probably harder than the ending of the main game.

Don't forget the chalice dungeons too. They can be fun, and you can get some nice weapons there. Google for the glyphs of some.

Arkhanor

Oct 27, 2017
Recife - Brazil
I don't really love Dark Souls (not yet, I think), but Bloodborne clicked with me because of the art style right away. Got invested in the game and stopped after beating Vicar Amelia (and Blood-starved Beast) because of many things happening in my life and other games. I should return to it some day haha.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
When they patch in additional bonfires near boss gates.
That's the only reason I can't replay this game, I hate it that it wastes my time on shit like this

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Gameplay-wise, I'd say it either clicks or doesnt for you around Old Yharnam and the Blood starved Beast. Story wise, it'll be the Rom fight.