• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
This ain't the type of game where you unlock an ability or enter a new level that turns the game around or something.

It is good all the way through. Or bad if you don't like it from the beginning.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Got a question about that actually. I'm on my first playthrough and just got to the final area of the game. Thinking of starting the DLC before I do the final boss. I've been playing with the Axe the entire time though and I hear there's some cool weapons in the DLC that I need to level up certain stats for, is it worth doing that?

It shouldn't take long to level up weapons at that point. If you think they're cool then you can pretty easily max a few out. If you do the last boss you won't be able to start the DLC until you reach that point again in new game +

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly imo that is a loaded question.

InitiallyI platinumed the game in ~15hrs when the game released and never looked back. Thought it was another souls game that lacked the punch that came with its forerunners.

and then I came back to the game a year later after finishing witcher 3 and then....
tumblr_nfquxuIOAD1rss05ao2_500.gifv

But seriously the game clicked HARD for me and mostly its the lore that amplified every parts of the game. I consider Bloodborne to be Miyazaki's Sistine chapel once it clicked for me.

For me, the game didn't begin to pick up until I beat Old Yharnam's boss and I got transported into Yahargul for the first time by a Snatcher. Taking in the atmosphere was when I quite literally gained insight into why people loved the game. This was before Vicar Amelia btw.

Last edited:

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I've had it since launch.

I've bought the DLC for it.

Yet i've never really...got IN to Bloodborne. I have the trophy for Father Gascoigne earned years ago, but earlier this year I beat Demon's Souls for the first time, and Bloodborne's transforming weapons are sexy.

I've started replaying it, and I'm a bit past Gascoigne this time. I've read somewhere that the beginning is considered the worst part, so when does it pick up?
So, I can't speak for you, but I bought Bloodborne at launch, my first Souls game, and it kicked my ass so bad that I gave up on it for a year.

I picked it up again a year later and something about it "clicked" and now its in the running for my favorite game of all time. I know something "clicking" isn't a helpful metric, but my advice is to explore Yharnam a bit rather than just bee line for the next boss. The level design is one of the best parts about the game, and I realized I didn't really appreciate it when I was focused on pushing forward and not dying.

Once I started exploring (accepting that I'd probably die from doing so), it really all came together, I think.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the only good game aside from The Last Guardian on PS4 so I feel p sorry for you, OP.

Also the best Souls-like.

Titchyman

Oct 27, 2017
The first time you fist that pig in the sewers.

Serious answer: the game clicked for me around Vicar Amelia.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
There is a strong chance BB is not for you, OP. Yharnam IMO is one of FromSoft's best designed worlds. The combat systems and weapons are the best out of all Soulsborne games (Sekiro not included) as well, IMO.

The story is told through its atmosphere and environmental clues. If the atmosphere and environment has not hooked you thus far, you most likely won't feel driven enough to conquer much harder challenges than Gascoigne.

However, if you are determined, the gameplay is strong enough on its own to make everything else work if you are patient enough. Just be prepared for an unforgiving challenge.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Honestly imo that is a loaded question.

InitiallyI platinumed the game in ~15hrs when the game released and never looked back. Thought it was another souls game that lacked the punch that came with its forerunners.

and then I came back to the game a year later after finishing witcher 3 and then....
tumblr_nfquxuIOAD1rss05ao2_500.gifv

But seriously the game clicked HARD for me and mostly its the lore that amplified every parts of the game. I consider Bloodborne to be Miyazaki's Sistine chapel once it clicked for me.

How were you able to plat the game in 15 hours when the load times were so long?!

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you try punching the blood werewolf to death in a dingy clinic you've found yourself in. 😂

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019

Yet i've never really...got IN to Bloodborne. I have the trophy for Father Gascoigne earned years ago, but earlier this year I beat Demon's Souls for the first time, and Bloodborne's transforming weapons are sexy.

I've started replaying it, and I'm a bit past Gascoigne this time. I've read somewhere that the beginning is considered the worst part, so when does it pick up?
have NO idea how you beat Father G. I can't do it and actively hate it. I like Dark Souls because you get estus flasks automatically. so i can just die to bosses over and over and over. I have to farm for an hour to be prepped for every boss battle in BB and it's awful.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Father G is a BITCH to beat if you are not getting the hang of the parry system. Once you get better at that, you will find that boss much easier. Without that you can cheese him pretty easy...

Stage 1 - Lure him back to the stairs and just super cheese him by hitting him from behind the railing.

Stage 2 - Either keep him behind the rail, or if he gets out, use the music box that you hopefully got earlier in the level (If not, Google how to get that box) and his 2nd stage is a joke.

Here is a video explaining it --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua5BOe6d_Yc

After this boss, the game slows down a bit and you can really get into it a lot easier.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
To be a contrary voice to most of this thread, honestly the answer is "never." You're either into what Bloodborne is doing, or you're not.

Bloodborne is a game with a great presentation and a strong aesthetic. I also think it never becomes fun to play. I can't say it's From Software's worst game of their modern period (because I think that dubious honour goes to Demon's Souls) but I never got what made people salivate about this title. I love horror, I love the style and narrative of the game, I got the platinum trophy! But outside of a few specific encounters, the game never was fun.

It's okay to just not click with it, OP. It's a game with a lot of serious problems. I often tell people that it's worth checking out, and that a lot of people love it, but if it's not thrilling you then it doesn't get better - it just keeps being Bloodborne. Which for many, is what they want. There are plot twists, but not play twists ahead, so you'll need to decide if that's enough for you. There is cool stuff to see, but the price is high. The last zone of the DLC is one of my favorite areas in a From Software game, but I had to slog through the entire rest of the game and the DLC to get there! Was it worth it? I dunno.

Why did I not have the same issues with Dark Souls 3, which similarly suffers from design issues like massive boss HP bloat and a deceptive lack of strong build diversity? I dunno. Anyway, I don't mean to ramble - only to say that it's okay to stop if you're not having fun. Go, be free. Play something that makes you happy.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
To be a contrary voice to most of this thread, honestly the answer is "never." You're either into what Bloodborne is doing, or you're not.

I disagree entirely. Was my first foray into soulsborne after bouncing off Demons Souls years prior. I did like the aesthetic but hated the loading times and kinda janky frame pacing and it wasn't until much later after beating some really cool bosses that it started to click.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
If you are already a souls fan you typically know what to expect. But for the world and setting to click.

Here are some of my favourite bits
After Rom all the crazy shit start appearing, the creepy brain suckers, giant skeleton spider things
Getting killed by one of those assholes with the sack.
Completing Eileen's quest in my second playthrough. Most notably the Bloody Crow.
Exploring chalice dungeons buffed with various effects such as half health, frenzy mobs etc. The panic when you enter the first room and hear a distant bell ringing.
Most of the DLC
Exploring Upper Cathedral Ward and Cainhurst.

Bloodborne is a game with a great presentation and a strong aesthetic. I also think it never becomes fun to play. I can't say it's From Software's worst game of their modern period (because I think that dubious honour goes to Demon's Souls) but I never got what made people salivate about this title. I love horror, I love the style and narrative of the game, I got the platinum trophy! But outside of a few specific encounters, the game never was fun.

It's okay to just not click with it, OP. It's a game with a lot of serious problems. I often tell people that it's worth checking out, and that a lot of people love it, but if it's not thrilling you then it doesn't get better - it just keeps being Bloodborne. Which for many, is what they want. There are plot twists, but not play twists ahead, so you'll need to decide if that's enough for you. There is cool stuff to see, but the price is high. The last zone of the DLC is one of my favorite areas in a From Software game, but I had to slog through the entire rest of the game and the DLC to get there! Was it worth it? I dunno.

Why did I not have the same issues with Dark Souls 3, which similarly suffers from design issues like massive boss HP bloat and a deceptive lack of strong build diversity? I dunno. Anyway, I don't mean to ramble - only to say that it's okay to stop if you're not having fun. Go, be free. Play something that makes you happy.

It really depends on what people like out of the genre. Is it the combat? Is it the build variety? The feeling of challenge? The overall visual design and aesthetic? The lore? The atmosphere? These factors I feel would be pretty indicative on the overall experience of Bloodborne. Maybe OP likes the visual design and atmosphere but doesn't feel the combat. In the case of someone I know who didn't like the game, he felt the build variety wasn't enough, despite liking the combat.

All of the factors that determine one's reception of Bloodborne are highly subjective.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
If it's not suitable to your palette now, it's a good chance this game might not be the best match for you. It's a much different beast from where the souls games came from. Any aspect(s) that maybe you were hoping for in this title that weren't included?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's poetic that the game everybody here universally loves eventually gets one of these threads lol.

OP, if honestly by the Father Gascoigne boss fight you aren't into it and looking to improve and learn the game mechanics, it's likely not going to do it for you. The other 'first' boss fight you can reach is arguably an easier one and normally the recommended first boss. Father Gascoigne is one where probably using the parry mechanic is recommended and arguably a solid first taste of the rest of the game. There's another boss later on that teaches you even more that you can't just spam the dodge button and get away with it because they hit hard and have a wide range so timing dodges becomes more important.

If one is remotely interested in the game by then, keep pushing. If you're hating every moment? Just stop. There's such a thing as a game never clicking with you. Case in point? Sekiro. I love From titles but Sekiro is too much of a departure of Soulsborne for me pushing me in the complete opposite direction of how I play these titles (super aggressive and close) that even if I was making progress I could tell I wasn't playing the game how the creators intended the combat to be done so I stopped before I kept going because I just wasn't enjoying the constant negativity I felt in mysel for not pushing to play it more aggressively.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
The game doesn't teach you this, which can make the starting area really rough, but what you need is the "insight", and the easiest way to get that is by reaching the boss area. You'll die of course, but that's OK. Once you have that, each time you cash in your echoes you level up. Also, every level usually has two shortcuts to unlock, and once you do that then it's usually a quick sprint from the level start to the boss room.

Find a video online for sprinting to the boss, takes a minute or two, then give the game another go. If you get into it, it's amazing.
Bookmarked for when I finally get around to playing this game

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019

Gascoigne is the learning curve. If the game doesn't start picking up for you after him then the game probably isn't for you because it's just more of Gascoigne, only moreso.

Jan 9, 2018
For me it was shortly after beating Gascoine, the first level was a pain, but not because it sucks, but because i sucked at Bloodborne, but once I beat the father, everything started to come easier and I enjoyed it a lot.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It might very well be a case of the game just not being for you, OP. Aside from the different weapon options--which admittedly can add a decent amount of variety and feel better/worse depending on your preferred play styles, the mechanics are pretty much all on the table from the very start and the only things that improve are your character's stats and own skill as a player. It's very upfront about what it is and the atmospheric vibe it's gonna have throughout.

Sometimes games just don't click for whatever reason, even if you really enjoy everything else by the same developers. Myself, for example -- I love Bloodborne, but find Sekiro kinda lackluster. Still beat the game and all, but the combat never felt good and its story/world never properly managed to enthrall me. Sometimes it just be like that.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's great from the get-go, but there's a creeping layer of WTF that doesn't really start until the cathedral ward, that's where it ascended for me.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The beginning is like the best part. The entire game is the best part. Whoever you've been listening to is a dumb dumb.

Deleted member 25580

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm going with another approach and say that the game clicks when you really start using L1 in your combos. That's where the depth of the weapon system really is. For instance, some L1 attacks makes you step backwards while attacking. That's super important once you learn some attack patterns the game throws at you.

Also, parrying never gets old. It's so satisfying, kinda like landing a deep shoryu in SF2 on a jumping opponent. That, along with the weapon system, if it clicks, should make you want to play more of that game in any part.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Oh no, the game is pretty fine from Start- where I currently am. I can't say I dislike it - It's more Souls, you know. I just kept hearing it picked up [around Old Yharnam sounds about right], and that's what interested me the most since I liked what I had played of it, but it escalates in terms of quality?
Depends what you mean by "quality". If you're not enjoying the core gameplay/aesthetic/atmosphere after the first couple of bosses, perhaps it won't improve for you.

If you mean "When does it flip the script?" then without spoiling anything, probably after you beat Byrgenwerth.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
The game is wondering the same thing about you.

Lol pretty much.

Dont worry OP, in 6 months you can make another LTTP where you can tell us that you have rediscovered the game and finally saw the light and now it has become the best game on PS4 and possibly, ever.

You would be the first person lol (I just couldnt get past the first area of the game, until it clicked)

Last edited:

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019

judging by this take, i'm thinking, for you, never. it'll never pick up...

i mean, when exactly did demon's souls pick up, in your opinion?...