• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I may be recalling the plot incorrectly but it wasn't exactly a "both sides" thing was it?

The rebels/poor where getting revenge on the elite with zero compassion or mercy.

Is having no mercy for the people who oppressed you really a "both sides"?

I mean, the writers wrote the vox populi to be that way and then condemn them. They didn't have to write them that way.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not just killing oppressors though. They're scalping people, burning families and children in their homes, shooting down people trying to flee. They attack Biker for "complicating the narrative".

The final resolution of this plotline when you come up agaisnt Fitzroy has you trying to talk her out of murdering a young white child because of who the child's father was.

I forgot that. What a shit show.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
They had both robots in the game. Abraham's had devil horns.

The developers tried to redeem Fitzroy in the DLC, changing her whole motives, basically ...

But eh, didnt work for me.

Maybe I'm not remembering story details, but I don't get the 'both sides" complaints

A revolution in a place like Columbia would certainly be violent as it was represented (as it should).

But yeah, it was all very surface level. They tried to put way too much stuff in the game, and there was no way to develop everything in a 10h-12h campaign

I respect their ambition, but the story should have been more focused and leaner
The problem with the "both sides" from a gameplay standpoint is that you fight them exactly the same way. They justify it with the story, but it feels like a wasted opportunity to make a story point or a gameplay change.

There is also the story problem as both sides are just as bad to Booker which poses its own problems. It is the video game story equivalent of the Terry Crews "If you get rid of white supremacy, you get black supremacy" which is lazy at best, and racist at worst. If I was to really get to the root of the issue, it is that Booker sucks as a protagonist. I know that he is supposed to suck, but the rest of the game doesn't do a great job of proping up why you should be playing as him as opposed to Elizabeth (which was again solved in the DLC)

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
The problem with the "both sides" from a gameplay standpoint is that you fight them exactly the same way. They justify it with the story, but it feels like a wasted opportunity to make a story point or a gameplay change.

There is also the story problem as both sides are just as bad to Booker which poses its own problems. It is the video game story equivalent of the Terry Crews "If you get rid of white supremacy, you get black supremacy" which is lazy at best, and racist at worst. If I was to really get to the root of the issue, it is that Booker sucks as a protagonist. I know that he is supposed to suck, but the rest of the game doesn't do a great job of proping up why you should be playing as him as opposed to Elizabeth (which was again solved in the DLC)
I understand your criticism, but not with playing as Booker

He is a jerk, but I love his interactions with Elizabeth and redemption storyline

Also, experiencing her development throughout the game wouldnt have been the same in first person view

I loved playing as her in Burial at Sea, but I reckon that I enjoyed it because she was developed previously

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Even as a13 year old, which is how old I was when I played Bioshock Infinite, I remember being astounded that the game's story ultimately both-sided Jim Crow-level racism. like... wtf were they thinking?

You might want to try Life is Strange 2 if you want to see this issue addressed rather well (though both protags are Mexican, not African-American).
I second this. I've been thinking about making a thread about Life is Strange 2 because I can't think of a single other game that tackles police brutality, Trump's America, and modern racism in America as openly and deftly as LiS 2

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
The game both sides the racial struggles and it's fucking trash. The DLC tries to explain some things, but I am not convinced.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
My reaction at the time of its release was that the story was a gross equivocation. It traded on a legacy of racial and class struggle - seemingly as much for shock value as anything else - only to undermine the legitimacy of those viewpoints in order to posture at a centrist conclusion wrapped up in a bunch of poorly conceived plot. It was one of the few games that made me angry to play. Not in frustration at the gameplay itself - though I thought that too was poorly tuned at the higher difficulties - but at the views it was putting out into the world.

I can't imagine going back to play it now, and I wouldn't recommend anyone else does either.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
Not only that, but to me, the gameplay was completely subpar. People joked by calling the game "Call of Bioshock", but it's not an innacurate descriptor. The game systems of Bioshock were so diluted in Infinite that the franchise's gameplay DNA had been completely lost.

At best, this game is a 7/10, and that's if you're generous.

Call of Duty has more interesting encounter designs frankly.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
absolute garbage. one of the biggest disappointments of all time considering the hype that came before it. and the bioshock pedigree coming off the first two games.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking awful, and always has been. If the beginning is offputting wait until they show the oppressed actually becoming worse than the oppressors later. Fuck this game.

It's also a poorly told scifi story even if you ignore all that, and the gameplay didn't really impress anybody even when it was new and shiny.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
You're going to be sorely disappointed.

The Vox Populi are trying to fight for their freedom and end up revolting, but the game goes "LOOK SEE, THEY'RE JUST AS BAD AS THE COLUMBIA PEOPLE!" Both sides!

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Coming from the middle east, the both sides thing just rings true. Iraq after Saddam with its civil war, an armed opposition in Syria that's equally guilty of genocide as the regime, same for Libya.

Historically speaking, the French revolution against the Bourgeois and the mass execution of the noble class, the Bolshevik and the mass execution of the Tsarists.

Having an armed opposition equally guilty of war crimes as their oppressor isn't that far fetched and I don't see how anyone can hold it against Bioshock Infinite's story as a negative point.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I really enjoyed the American Exceptionalism aspect of the game (first 15 minutes of the game are easily among the best in the series), but like many others have said, it does falter pretty quickly.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
One of those rare cases where 'lol' isn't a driveby shitpost but a valid answer to OP's question.

Nothing about BI's writing is good. In addition to poor handling of difficult subject matter, it's facile and self-contradictory. It doesn't make logical sense.

This and a thousand issues with its gameplay do not make me hesitate to call it a bad game, despite high production values and attractive art.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Hey, it's handling of it's themes may be trite, offensive trash, but at least it's got shoddy encounter design and a really terrible alternate worlds/time travel story!

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Prepare for the worst fucking take this game could have settled on.
"Actually, the abused underclass-turned-revolutionaries are just as bad as the racists."

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
The story is really bad. I recall my 1st time through wondering why everyone was dumping on the story. Played through it again and it's awful. Probably the worst AAA story since the 2000s

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
This game takes a very hamfisted approach to racism and nationalism, and it abandons it for a story about redemption and multiple universes for...some reason.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
The most important thing to note about the writing is that it is very bad.

Infinite is actually just a bad game that we all thought we liked