• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So I posted a thread recently-ish (time doesn't make sense anymore so I don't know if that was three weeks or three months ago) that I'd picked up a PSVR. Yeah, getting a PSVR right now with PS5 and hopefully PSVR2 around the corner may seem weird. It may seem doubly weird whenever I also have a PCVR setup. There were, however, enough exclusives that I wanted to play as a VR enthusiast.

hugemistake0.gif

No, not the mistake of buying one. I made the mistake of playing Astro Bot Rescue Mission first, despite also buying a pile of PSVR exclusives. I doubt any will top it, except maybe RE7. But that's fine. Experientially, Astro Bot Rescue Mission is one of the best VR games I've played. And apart from that, it's one of the best platformers I've ever played. Yes, I've played a lot of platformers. I turn 40 on Tuesday. I've been gaming since 1983 as my parents had an Atari. Astro Bot was so good, in fact, that I finished it in three sessions. Not short sessions, either. I was glued to my headset. Or it was glued to me. Whatever.

I'm not going to post screenshots or videos. They never do VR justice. Suffice to say that even stripped of VR it is a great platformer. It does what great platformers do in that, just when you think you've seen everything, it shows you something new. It never outstays its welcome, and trying to find all the bots in each level is a pleasure.

Does VR add to the experience? Absolutely. There is a level where waves are coming towards you and my brain couldn't properly process what was happening and was like, "Alright, get ready to go underwater I guess." Peaking around sides, behind and under you is fantastic. I absolutely adored it. There is part of me that is glad I got a PSVR just to have had the chance to play this. It's so charming and was a great game to play right now. If you have PSVR and you haven't played this, what even are you doing?

Alright, time to go be terrified.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Only played the demo that came with my PSVR last week and yeah, it's pretty cool. Will buy the full game for sure after I'm done with IronMan and Blood and Truth.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a ton of fun with it -- it's a shame that the game is VR exclusive, since the VR stuff isn't really all that necessary to enjoy the game.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Brilliant, inventive game. Kept surprising and getting better as the game went on. Only thing I wasn't keen on was making platforms with throwing stars as it was really tricky haha. Also fantastically fun boss fights.

And Astros Playroom that comes with the PS5 is said to be a few hours long so it's great to be playing more Astro Bot soon and hopefully it'll be VR compatible at some point (before the inevitable VR sequel).

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
yep. those water levels blew my mind, had to replay them several times...

the whole game works SO well in VR. it's amazing, feels old school and super futuristic at the same time. 10/10 experience for me.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I thought the platforming was just okay, but the VR Gimmick was cool.

I am very excited for Astro Bot 2. I really think expanding the moveset and giving Astro more options will make that game nearly perfect. As good as Astro Bot 1 is, its a very shallow and restrictive, almost tech-demo like experience. I really believe AB2 is going to blow people away.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
I disagree (with the thread title statement). The general platforming you do in that game is so basic and dull that I had a very hard time getting in to it. The only real hook is the VR integration and great visual polish.

The boss fights are at least pretty great for a platformer.

If I had to try to point a finger at why it feels dull to play, I'd say the bot himself just doesn't have a varied enough moveset. You can only jump and hover. The controller integrated stuff helps a bit, but the level design and enemy encounters feel constrained by it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought the platforming was just okay, but the VR Gimmick was cool.

I am very excited for Astro Bot 2. I really think expanding the moveset and giving Astro more options will make that game nearly perfect. As good as Astro Bot 1 is, its a very shallow and restrictive, almost tech-demo like experience. I really believe AB2 is going to blow people away.
I agree. I love the presentation and scale of it.

But it's incredibly linear. I'm talking more linear than Super Mario 3D Land.

Heck it's more linear than the original Super Mario Bros. or Sonic 1, even. Just one path through each level with a limited moveset. If they can broaden it for some more interesting level design, it would help a lot.

It has a really great foundation.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
It might be my favorite platformer of all time, it had the exact same level of creativity that made me love Super Mario Galaxy but taken a step further with VR. It's true that Astro's moveset stripped away from VR is rather limited compared to other games in the genre, but that's precisely the point - Astro by himself is only half the package. When coupled with abilities you (as in, the big robot you're in the game) get in the stages, you're suddenly controlling two characters at the same time.

It all really shines in the challenges you unlock with the chamaleons, for example there's one where the floor is lava and you have to use your controller as a hose to freeze the ground for Astro Bot to pass through, or another one where you have to be constantly pulling platforms with a grappling hook in your controller, or one where you play some sort of wave shooter with the hose, I love it. Here's the lava one for example:

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I was a huge VR skeptic and finally took the plunge when PSVR was on sale last Black Friday. This game made me an instant believer. The first time I stood up to get a better view of my platforming and looked around a pillar to see where I was going man, smile ear to ear. Whenever PSVR gets an updated 4k version or something I have to hope they remaster it so I can play it in even higher clarity. It deserves to be seen as one of the best games on the PS4.