• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unmarked Spoilers

Just beat it and damn was it good. Yeah it had some jankines and the Ubisoft collectithon garbage that I mostly skipped, but the story was so good! And visually amazing!

Edward was kind of s weird protagonist because he was just a pirate but then at the end when he realized he had no friends left etc and it's better to have a higher calling. Just good stuff.

Sad to hear how Ed turns out. I guess the after math and his death are mentioned in AC3? Since your playing his grandson there.

And holy shit am I in love with Mary Read. Or possibly her voice actress. That tone and that accent, I just love it. I knew she would die at some point but I was still sad when she did.

DLC should have been about playing as Mary.

Honestly this is the first AC game Ive completed. Probably play Origins next.

Oct 29, 2017
Best story in an AC game IMO. Actually had characters I cared about, gave the protagonist a real arc, and the very final moments were the perfect amount of bittersweet. The ending credits sequence was so quaint and low-key, very un-like AC games which usually go for bombast.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
AC IV is easily one of the best of the franchise. I know a lot of people were not fans of 3 for valid reasons, but everyone who was skeptical should try out 4. It's a massive improvement in gameplay, mechanics and story.

First AC I 100%'d.

Glad you liked it OP! Edward was one of the best written Assassins! Nassau and Havana and the open sea were so much fun. I played this game like crazy my first term of freshman year of college. I stayed up way to late. I recommend going for the
legendary ship battles!

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Best AC game IMO. Actually had characters I cared about, gave the protagonist a real arc, and the very final moments were the perfect amount of bittersweet. The ending credits sequence was so quaint and low-key, very un-like AC games which usually go for bombast.

ftfy :) ...

really enjoyed the original assassin's creed, but, damn, black flag is just so good, & so much fun, in so many ways. an exceptional game, period...

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I loved it when I played it the first time. I tried to get back into it, but I absolutely hated the mandatory mission tasks for 100% the game the second time around.

It's a shame, because the story and the gameplay is by far the best. Plus, a reluctant protagonist is always something refreshing. I just wish we got more of him where he was happy or comfortable, but I guess that's the life of an assassin.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Absolutely loved my time with it. I can see myself playing this again more than once in the future.

In the thread about noping out of a game, I saw someone complain about the present day segments turning them off from the game completely. Which is funny to me, because I don't remember them at all, the Edward stuff was so engaging.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Black Flag, probably more than 2... I think. I don't often (never) 100% a game but I definitely did for Black Flag, the mechanics were so well polished and fun even if it wasn't incredibly deep. I was also probably in the mood for a collect-o-thon at the time. Fantastic game. Decent story, somehow stuck with me all this time. I really ought to go back and give it another go to see if it stands up. Golly, I love that game!

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
They actually explore what happens to Edward after 4 in Syndicate, nothing in AC3 as far as i remember.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Amazing historical story, good modern day story (probably the last time I felt that the series was actually on track to something), incredibly gorgeous locations, awesome "pirate-feel", lovable characters, amazing soundtrack, fun gameplay......

...but god awful mission design. Upon replay I realized how many main missions rely on trailing a target undetected. It's really annoying, the worst type of AC mission for sure.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It is my favorite because I really love the sailing and ship combat. also diving.

I haven't played the last three or possibly four games though, so maybe I'm missing out.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've actually been thinking of revisiting it, which I never really thought I'd want to with the Ubisoft open world format, but Odyssey really had me fall in love with the series like never before. I even recently replayed Far Cry 3 before moving onto 5 and had quite a bit fun. Glad to hear you enjoyed it OP, i'm interested to see how it holds up.

I never did play Rogue either so I might finally get around to playing that.
...but god awful mission design. Upon replay I realized how many main missions rely on trailing a target undetected. It's really annoying, the worst type of AC mission for sure.
I'm definitely dreading that bit.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this is the first AC game Ive completed. Probably play Origins next.

I quite adored black flag and syndicate but the new directions in origins/odyssey really didn't float my boat. Just feels like a very different series that IMO tries to do absolutely everything and doesn't particularly do anything well. Will be interesting to see what you think.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ship stuff was fun, so were the main assassination missions. However the combat, stealth, and tailing missions in the game were annoying. Also the game was way too long.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
The ship stuff gets tedious after a few hours and the normal gameplay is just a bunch of tail missions. The engaging story gets the game through, but it's a bad AC game and not a particularly good game in its own right.

Oct 27, 2017
It was really well done. One of the best in the series for sure. There was still some parts I hated like the many missions where you tail people but overall it was amazing.

I would love to have a straight up sequel about Pirates in the Origins/Odyssey formula.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game was filler af and the gathering money to start missions is where I bailed out

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Love this game. Still one of my absolute favourites, and Edward was such a terrific lead character. The ending was fantastic!

OP
OP
Pilgrimzero

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BTW the Berserk darts are the best weapon in the game.

90% of all my assassinations where done from a rooftop where I had fired the silent life ending dart.

Honestly I kind of wish it hadn't been in the game.

Oh and the last real "boss fight" was some BS. Ends up just running in circles loading my guns and shooting the guy.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Shame you went directly to Origins OP. Was going to recommend you play the Freedom Cry DLC and then Rogue.

Edward's story is wrapped up off-screen unfortunately but Adewale is the protagonist of Freedom Cry and then a secondary villain in Rogue.

The AC Americas saga has some of the strongest writing in games, Charles Lee aside.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Great game, shit protag. Why? How can a pirate be an Assassin? Dumb as rocks.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's absolutely nothing redeeming about Black Flag in my eyes. The ground/assassination game is awful, easily the worst in the series, and I couldn't care less about the naval bits.

I found nothing about Edward or his story at all interesting, either -- only Syndicate was as boring in that regard (but at least had Evie and some okay side missions). In fact, I'm amazed that people speak positively of this aspect. Pirates are awful, Edward is awful, why should I care about any of them?

As a game, Rogue does everything Black Flag does vastly better and with a more engaging story as well (although painting the Assassins as outright bad guys is a bit out there).

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely my favorite of the entire series. It was weird seeing so much praise for 3 in it's revival threads since it was pretty reviled at the time (though I did manage to beat it completely too, it was hardly awful or anything). Basically, it did everything 3 did right, only better, and added a lot of it's own to ship combat and finally the story was top tier.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
BTW the Berserk darts are the best weapon in the game.

90% of all my assassinations where done from a rooftop where I had fired the silent life ending dart.

Honestly I kind of wish it hadn't been in the game.
Yeah, there's several AC games where the berserk darts are too good and too convenient and Black Flag is one of them. They're probably convenient enough to mitigate level design issues, so removing them might have resulted in some frustrating missions, but in general they provide a solution that's a bit too simple to use in too many situations.

How do you guys think Edward would think of his son and grandson and how they turned out?
I don't think there's much need to guess - he'd have been disappointed that Haytham joined the Templars but understanding of much of what he did (especially since the Colonial Assassins, during this time, were...."awful" seems an appropriate word). He'd have been largely proud of Connor but probably would have advised him to lighten up and enjoy things more.

TecTec

Oct 29, 2017
I replayed this recently, and was surprised by the high quality of the writing; it's by far the best in the series and among the best I've encountered in a game. I especially enjoyed the Stede Bonnet character, whom I didn't realize was also a real historical pirate until after completing the game.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Sea shanties.

Actually I would like to hear more opinions on 4 vs Rogue. Never played that one.
Rogue is a more focused Black Flag with less likeable characters and a completely opposite setting (Lush hot caribbean vs chilling north atlantic) but it also has actual mission design... and no tailing missions. So that makes it a better /game/ but a lesser experience (because pirates!) if you know what I mean.