• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
adn49_feature.jpg

I wanted to post this in it's own topic because I don't think this quit fits in well as a simple post on the Board Games community thread.

So, for the past week or so I've been obsessed with learning the mechanics of Android Netrunner. I dunno what specifically gravitated me towards it...maybe it's because recently Team Covenant has been doing some quarantined videos and in one of them they revisited Netrunner for the first time in years; and I watched the entirety of it. It was glorious. You can tell their love for the game was resparked when they revisited it, and seeing them play bluff games was really appealing to me.

However I knew it was more or less a "dead" card game. At least, officially. The truth is the game continues to this day with new cards in the form of a new game that's compatible with Android Netrunner called Nisei:

https://nisei.net/

What I found out was that there was still a thriving community for this, and new releases are still taking place with the latest being from December last year. Of course I'm not expecting regular releases ala a company like FFG can produce, but it's amazing how persistent the game is. The deckbuilding website netrunnerdb and jinteki also see a LOT of traffic even till this day. What I discovered that this "dead" card game was alive and thriving in the form of a dedicated fanbase.

So at first I was thinking about getting a Core System 2019 printed on MakingPlayingCards which is one of the suggested ways of doing it. The problem? Well the cheapest way of doing this with full playsets of all the cards would be...drumroll please...

$130

!!!!!!!!!

Fuuuck that shit! Ain't no way I'm paying that entry fee right now. So I decided to pay for a Core Set on ebay for thirty bucks (the original, not the revised edition which is going for like a $100 dollars a pop YIKES!), which I know is technically out of rotation or some parts of it are but eh I'm ok with that.

So I wait...I wait. This is where I learn the rules extensively, watch youtube videos about how to play and various games. I'm zoned in man. Well...it ain't coming till Thursday so I said fuck it and played it on Jinteki.net. After 3 one hour games - even though I'm probably abysmal - I've already fallen in love with this game.

Where do I even begin? So ok get this shit there's like MULTIPLE win conditions in this game and every single one of them is this meta-game of cat of mouse. It's hard to describe unless you play it for yourself, but the whole dynamic between the Runner player and the Corp player is honestly something I've never seen in a card-game before. The Corp player plays his entire deck like he's playing Trap cards in Yu-Gi-Oh except it's super hard to actually do anything about it; the Runner player plays at breakneck speeds but OH WAIT if I run out of cards in my hand I'll freaking lose and the Corp playing has a bunch of cards in his deck that can do Net damage (aka discard cards at random from their hand).

Literally every decision you make matters in some capacity. Wasting an action can cost you the game, but what's amazing about Netrunner is that even if you make major misplays you can still bluff the fuck out of your opponent to the point where the misplay becomes a pro play. There's so many different things could happen in one Netrunner game that even if you encounter the same cards the games will feel completely different from one another.

Another thing that's unique about Netrunner is that it's a 2 player TCG-style game...but there's no monsters or dudes in it whatsoever. That's because the players ARE the monsters and dudes, and what's cool is that each game forms a unique narrative of sorts. I mean you can literally play as a corp called NBN and your theme is...fake news. What other card game does stuff like that?!

Anyway here's my gameplan with experiencing Android: Netrunner which may or may not go well:
  • I'm going to get everything in release order more or less and play the game as it was meant to be played originally. This might change. One of the reasons why I decided to do this because to make the Nisei System Core 2019 you can simply pull cards from your collection and most of the cards from it are from the Core Set + first two cycles or so. So by the time I have a decent size collection, most of my stuff will be in rotation for Standard format.
  • I'm going to invest a LOT of time in Jinteki and the physical card game. I want to introduce my friends to this.
I'll update my progress on this as it goes along. Already got the Genesis cycle ordered.

Tell me what you guys think about the game below!

Modest Mauser

Jan 12, 2018
The greatest game ever designed. Deep, elegant, thematic, wholly unique. I could write so much on it, I can't praise it enough.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I have a sealed revised core set, two actually. I'd be happy to send it to you dirt cheap. I keep telling myself I'm gonna learn the game but nobody here in SC will play with me. :(

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Before it went OOP, I picked up a bunch of revised cores and the latest full cycle. It was expensive, but this game deserves to be kept on a shelf for perfect asymmetrical play forever.

Just, uh, need to wait til my kids are a bit older so I have someone to play with in the future I guess.

The greatest game ever designed. Deep, elegant, thematic, wholly unique. I could write so much on it, I can't praise it enough.

There is certainly a good argument to be made for this. It's just... perfect.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, how I would love to play this game. Sadly, no one to play with.

I wish some dev would make an official digital version.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Before it went OOP, I picked up a bunch of revised cores and the latest full cycle. It was expensive, but this game deserves to be kept on a shelf for perfect asymmetrical play forever.

Just, uh, need to wait til my kids are a bit older so I have someone to play with in the future I guess.

There is certainly a good argument to be made for this. It's just... perfect.

Have you looked into the new card sets?

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UmeĂĄ, Sweden
It is bloody brilliant. Love the game but have a hard time convincing people to play it with me. :(
Did exactly the same, have a full collection of core sets, latest full cycle and not long ago I had the amazing encounter of finding at a convention a booth that sold all the Deluxe expansions that I was missing and really wanted for about 250 SEK each, which is a bloody steal compared that the regular price for them was about 400. Even considering once DriveThruCards opens up production again to order the fan made expansions.

Oct 28, 2017
Probably my favorite game of all time. I played it weekly for years when it was still being supported. I won a store championship and just barely missed the cut for our last regional (I was literally 1 loss out of the top spot). When the game went bye-bye the local community dried up and I stopped playing. I still have my complete set of cards, I'm tempted to get rid of them but I have so much sentimental value in it I don't know if I can ever get rid of them.

OP
OP
Big One

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Probably my favorite game of all time. I played it weekly for years when it was still being supported. I won a store championship and just barely missed the cut for our last regional (I was literally 1 loss out of the top spot). When the game went bye-bye the local community dried up and I stopped playing. I still have my complete set of cards, I'm tempted to get rid of them but I have so much sentimental value in it I don't know if I can ever get rid of them.
Well like I said in the OP the game is still getting supported in the form of Nisei. You can even buy the sets they made from MakingPlayingCards officially.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'd drop 60 bucks to whichever developer makes a digital [1 player] videogame out of this.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I have a revised core edition here, but I got it just before it got discontinued and have never actually played it.

I should probably do something about that...

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I love Magic to death, but Netrunner is absolutely the best card game I've ever played and probably my favorite overall card/board game ever. The marriage of theme and design is just *chef kiss*

If you don't want to spend a lot of money to get all of the OOP sets, a good option is to track down a revised core and then pick up a couple of world championship decks. They have powerful cards plus full art design, very cool and you can still track them down a little more easily than the deluxe packages and such.

Same, lol...my son is three months old, I have this and a bunch of games I want to play with him in like...nine years.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
What a perfect timing for this thread. I have fallen down a deep rabbit hole. With legends of runeterria, i was just thinking if they made a netrunner version. I would never leave my house again.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
Netrunner is still my favorite game of all time. I've been watching the Team Covenant lockdown videos as well and it just reminds me how incredible this game is.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
Can confirm, it is an incredible game. Only have the original core set and a few extra packs, but it is just an excellent game that always delivers a memorable and enjoyable time.

MikeRahl

Oct 27, 2017
There was a FLGS in my area that closed down and I managed to get a whole bunch of packs for real cheap.

I've spent more time sorting out my cards than actually playing though

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Definitely the best themed card game from what I've seen. A friend introduced me to it after I got out of card games, and the amount of freedom it gives you with how you can use your clicks is ridiculous. OG VS System still has my heart, but it may have been different if Netrunner was around back when I was playing stuff at my local shop.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to try Netrunner, but I don't have anyone to teach me. I have very little patience for learning card games on my own . . . all the possibilities and research overwhelm me. (even Arkham Horror LCG is a bit much for me)

But I just know I'd love it if I got over that hurdle.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Is Android: Netrunner the same game as the 1996 WotC game Netrunner?

I have a pretty big collection of the original cards from back in the day. Here are the two preconstructed decks I keep around to teach new players the game and an original rulebook:

EVGRitXUYAAmCpj

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
It really is a great game.

I played regularly when it first came out, but got overwhelmed by the speed of the new packs. Didn't help that our local community was a little uncomfortable.

My partner also plays and we've kept all of our cards. Just haven't had the time with grad school to go back.

Oct 27, 2017
I have wanted to get into Netrunner for too long. Between the legacy of cards and not having a partner willing to play I never did.

OP
OP
Big One

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
So I FINALLY got my Core Set (2012) in and me and my brother have been playing nonstop since lmao.

Some impressions of the different factions after some gameplay on Jinteki and IRL:

Anarch - I think pound-for-pound might be the strongest of the three Runner types in the Core Set. There's so many cards here that allow you to just annoy the Corp player to no end.

Criminal - The most consistent of the three Runner types, and Gabriel feels like he's the strongest of the three runners. I can see why they reused him in the Revised Core Set he's got a fairly simple - but powerful - ability. I feel like Criminal decks are the best if all you have is the Core Set to gain access to.

Shaper - Tbh I haven't played with Kate all the much yet, but I've splashed plenty of Shaper cards in the above two runner types especially in Noise and the amount of consistency she brings with something like a heavy Virus deck is nuts. However I feel like Kate's built-in Link value would be good against an archetype I'll be discussing below.

Haas-Bioroid - I feel like there's a lot of stuff here that has elements of a great deck, but it's really missing those parts to get it going. I really do not care for the Agenda given in the Core Set for example as it's easy to dump cards into the discard pile like Agendas for example. Maybe this deck will become better as I get more data packs. Though what's neat about it is that it's probably the best of the Corps to actually get Ice unrezzed so it has that going for.

Jinteki - Basically Trollface.dek, though it has that easy to learn/hard to master feel to it more-so than the other Corp types.

NBN - Probably my favorite of the Corp types, though I'm unsure if it's the best. I feel like this combined with Scorched Earth is probably the best Corp deck in the entire Core box, and might be one of the best decks in the entire game even as I add Data Packs to it. The consistency of tagging with NBN is truly amazing and all it takes is for a well-placed bluff to turn Scorched Earth into a card that says, "GG"

Weyland Consortium - I haven't played this one all that much, but I've splashed the cards in other decks plenty of times. I'm not a huge fan of placing advancement tokens on Ice tbh even though that's a theme of this Corp type.

The first 5 Data Packs of the Genesis cycle are coming my way...hopefully soon! Also made some proxies of the missing cards from Core Set (2012) in MakingPlayingCards which is 1000 bajillion times cheaper than buying two extra Core Sets.

OP
OP
Big One

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Scorched Earth is a great card, yeah, it's a bit too crazy...IIRC it was soft-banned back in the day or at least put on a sort of a restricted list.
Yeah I was playing a lot of this stuff on Jinteki and everytime I have to switch to Eternal to even get the decks up and running lol. Everything that's been rotated out makes perfect sense on why it's no longer a part of the Standard format.

Also confused in why Astroscript Pilot Program was errata'd to be limited instead of just limited on a restricted list. Wad that change made before the existence of a restricted list?

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
If you ever want to listen to people enthusiastically gab about the game, the old Terminal7 podcast was great for that. God I miss those guys.

Also confused in why Astroscript Pilot Program was errata'd to be limited instead of just limited on a restricted list. Wad that change made before the existence of a restricted list?

Yes. Prior to the Most Wanted List being a banned/restricted list I think it was simply additional influence that was required to include the card (regardless of the deck's faction). So they had to errata it out before removing from the Revised Core so it was going to rotate out of the tournament scene anyways. Also, Astroscript is kinda broken so allowing people to use 3x even outside of competitive play isn't terribly fun because it allows NBN to do things like scoring the final agenda point out of hand with no opportunity for the Runner to respond. https://netrunnerdb.com/en/card/01081 is worth reading just for how nuts the card was in the right hands.

Also if you're interested, this article provides a nice summary of how the MWL worked at the time of the errata: https://ancur.fandom.com/wiki/NAPD_Most_Wanted_List

Shaper - Tbh I haven't played with Kate all the much yet, but I've splashed plenty of Shaper cards in the above two runner types especially in Noise and the amount of consistency she brings with something like a heavy Virus deck is nuts. However I feel like Kate's built-in Link value would be good against an archetype I'll be discussing below.

Shaper 4 life. Kate's main strength (and I think why she was rotated out) is the inherent money saving ability, not her link. The equivalent H-B identity was also rotated out for similar reasons. A lot of Netrunner in my mind comes down to the economy and recurring abilities that earn you credits or help save credits tend to be some of the more powerful abilities (even if they're not as inherently sexy like Scorched Earth).

---
It is a reboot of the game, set in Fantasy Flight Games' "Android" universe. The rules are mostly the same (with a few tweaks), but A:NR has different Runner and Corporation "factions" that affect deckbuilding.

The major change aside from deck building is the tweaks to how tracing works. Which make for a much better game since tracing used to suck a lot in the CCG version. It's faster and less awkward in the LCG, and far less dependent on having certain Runner cards available in order to not be a sitting duck. The old model also wouldn't work in an LCG when everyone has access to the full card pool. The CCG had a "base link" card in the Rare rarity that was basically "pay next to nothing to win the current trace"

It really is a great game.

I played regularly when it first came out, but got overwhelmed by the speed of the new packs. Didn't help that our local community was a little uncomfortable.

My partner also plays and we've kept all of our cards. Just haven't had the time with grad school to go back.

Same. Used to play pretty regularly with my ex but we kinda burned out around the time the campaign expansion came out (to the point where I bought the last two cycles and the final expansion and barely touched them). Which was a shame because that set introduced one of my favorite Shaper runners. (I also had a real soft spot for Sunny as well. FFG did a bang up job with diversity amongst the runners with them all representing a good variety of backgrounds. It wasn't perfect but it was far better than a lot of other games in my mind)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big One

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Shaper 4 life. Kate's main strength (and I think why she was rotated out) is the inherent money saving ability, not her link. The equivalent H-B identity was also rotated out for similar reasons. A lot of Netrunner in my mind comes down to the economy and recurring abilities that earn you credits or help save credits tend to be some of the more powerful abilities (even if they're not as inherently sexy like Scorched Earth)
Oh for sure. I forgot to mention the bolded but my first impression of it is that she'll def become more versatile as my cardpool grows. I'm about to put some extensive time into playing her I just haven't done so yet. I think I played one game with her and that was with her Core Set starter deck.

Played a few games with a Gabe deck in Core Experience on Jinteki and man that format transcends what I'm playing right now. XD It's so much more balanced and has a lot more variety of things in it.

Modest Mauser

Jan 12, 2018
The major change aside from deck building is the tweaks to how tracing works. Which make for a much better game since tracing used to suck a lot in the CCG version. It's faster and less awkward in the LCG, and far less dependent on having certain Runner cards available in order to not be a sitting duck. The old model also wouldn't work in an LCG when everyone has access to the full card pool. The CCG had a "base link" card in the Rare rarity that was basically "pay next to nothing to win the current trace"

I also believe that in the original, the Corp would lose once they took 7 points of bad publicity, though bad publicity had no other effect on gameplay. The A:NR BP mechanic is a lot more nuanced and interesting.

OP
OP
Big One

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Been popping all over the place with this game. Some thoughts on some of the new content I'm encountering:

IRL -

Been slowing going through the Genesis cycle. Been making some paper proxies of cards missing from the Core Set that I need to make decks (my MakingPlayingCards proxy order hasn't came up yet :( ) and been having a blast! Me and my brother have been playing it kind of like if we were slowly getting packs released. Right now we're on Pack 4 of the Genesis Cycle with Pack 5 in que. I also got Future Proof, Creation and Control, the Spin Cycle, Honor and Profit, and the Lunar cycle in as well which I'm going to play with in the same manner. So I have a LOT of playing to shift through but I've been having a blast this entire time.

02001.png

Whizzard is so freaking good btw.

Jinteki -

So I've taken a jump into Standard using the handy old netdeck. To be honest, I still dunno wtf I'm doing here. But here's the decklists I've been using to "learn" how to play:

pIbgxLG.png

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/58469/az-and-az-part-1-of-2-1st-place-out-of-8-q4-2019-pittsbur

eB2HqKq.png

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/58470/az-and-az-part-2-of-2-1st-place-out-of-8-q4-2019-pittsbur

I figured to play them in a pair to honor the tournament this player used these decks in. Tried to find something that focused on my two favorite colors for the most part (though Anarch is slowly becoming my favorite thanks to Whizzard). Had a real blast playing these decks on Jinteki learning all the new cards and interactions they have. First impression based on my experiences is...

med_ADN38_58.png

So you're saying THIS...! (RIP Whizzard ;_;)

01099.png

Replaced THIS?!?!

I thought rotation was supposed to make cards weaker?! Psh yeah-yeah there's a trash cost but still good god at least you can play around Scorched Earth pretty easily.

Also new favorite Nisei era card:

Ow9o4b6.png

This card is freakishly good!

Some other cards I'm interested in playing in Standard format:

1SDlZrC.png
iPK3oI7.png

So moe... Or shall I say, the mechanic of a double sided investigator is pretty damn dope and her ability is pretty solid as well!

med_ADN29_37.png

Love the mechanics of this guy. He comes into play with these Directive cards already on board ready to aid him on runs and shit. He's part of his own mini-faction of sorts as well!

Last edited:

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My partner and I have the core set, and three times we've sat down and tried to learn it. We're new to deck-building games, though, and if you have no frame of reference and no one to teach you, it feels impenetrable.

If anyone knows of any good resources for learning, please let me know!

OP
OP
Big One

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
My partner and I have the core set, and three times we've sat down and tried to learn it. We're new to deck-building games, though, and if you have no frame of reference and no one to teach you, it feels impenetrable.

If anyone knows of any good resources for learning, please let me know!
If you want something brief and simple, go here:

If you want something longer and more in-depth between two players actually playing the game, go here:

After you watch one of these videos (or both), go here: https://www.jinteki.net/

Play a game, pick a starter deck of your choice, change the format to "Casual" or "Eternal" (some of the cards from the Revised Core Set aren't legal anymore) and make a message as the title of the game like, "I'm new and I want to learn." and I guaranteed there will be one player to jump in immediately to teach you.

Don't feel bad if you make mistakes or misplays everyone does it.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want something brief and simple, go here:

If you want something longer and more in-depth between two players actually playing the game, go here:

After you watch one of these videos (or both), go here: https://www.jinteki.net/

Play a game, pick a starter deck of your choice, change the format to "Casual" or "Eternal" (some of the cards from the Revised Core Set aren't legal anymore) and make a message as the title of the game like, "I'm new and I want to learn." and I guaranteed there will be one player to jump in immediately to teach you.

Don't feel bad if you make mistakes or misplays everyone does it.

Thanks for this. Always wanted to play this game.

if I have a friend who I want to play with can we use that site? How can I make a deck or make it so that we're only using the core cards?

OP
OP
Big One

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this. Always wanted to play this game.

if I have a friend who I want to play with can we use that site? How can I make a deck or make it so that we're only using the core cards?
You can use the site for that that's how i more or less learned the game for real cause my Core Set was taking forever to come in. Me and my brother played a bunch of games on there so we already knew how to play before I even got my Core Set lol.

When you play on Jinteki it comes with all the starter decks available to you already. So you don't need to build a deck to learn the game.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah, this game looks awesome and this style of card game is super fun. I've been pretty swallowed up by the Arkham Horror card game this year - though I can't say how mechanically similar it is.

OP
OP
Big One

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
4gqGX6G.jpg

Shazam! New avy time! Decided to pick her cause Kate is slowly becoming my favorite runner to play as. Pre-paid Kate decks are no joke! I wonder how viable they are in Eternal format (or some variant of it).

Currently I have a collection up to Order and Chaos (the Weyland and Anarch set) with the SanSan cycle slowly coming to pieces. Wanted to talk about some stuff here...

06005.png

04015.png

med_ADN20_86.png

I feel like there is some type of deck here, I'm just not sure what. I built something with these three thinking I could draw into the "pieces" i need and I played traditional Tag & Bag. To be honest, it didn't perform as well as I hoped. Also, am I assuming correctly that Daily Business Show stacks? I'm assuming multiple copies cause each one to trigger like it would with R&D Interface for example. I think a Fast Adv deck might be better suited for this type of draw power but we'll see. I feel like I need a couple of more solid agendas for this to work (maybe SanSan will provide that hrm...).

med_ADN19_68.png

New contender for favorite Corp identity card here! Gosh, the amount of cool shit you can do with this is astonishing. And it's Standard legal too! looking forward to seeing how this evolves with my growing cardpool. I haven't quite played too much with the Order and Chaos cards yet so hrm...we'll see if there's anything in that box that allows me to do something special with this.

On the runner side, some cards I'm looking forward to trying out:

med_ADN22_29.png

med_ADN22_32.png

med_ADN22_36.png

Maxx lookin' like all the girls I had the hots for in high school rolled into one person. Psh! In all seriousness though, these cards are FIRE as fuck! I can't even count the amount of games I would've saved if I had an "I've Had Worse" in my hand good lord.