• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
He never killed a kid. He claimed he killed a woman who was holding a toddler. The film makers as an artistic liberty decided it should be a kid he was shown killing.

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory commentary
Kyle was scumbag, racist occupier and the person that killed him is the hero of the story.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The guy he went to the gun range with was also a veteran who had intense PTSD. Something at the shooting range triggered it, I imagine.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I still havent seen this. I told myself then that I needed time before I watched it to get ready for some likely heavy handed 'othering' I expected the film to have. I might check it out sometime soon.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Chris Kyle was a piece of shit and also a serial liar who fantasized about shooting looters in Hurricane Katrina.

Oct 27, 2017
The movie lost me when the protagonist saw a terrorist attack in TV and his line of thought was literally "They attacked America! I need to go to the Army!". And then they unironically used the Punisher logo for their unit...

As european this movie felt like a low key propaganda movie. And not even a very entertaining one. The pacing was just off for a lot of long stretches.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
movies that use actual footage of a subject's funeral are exploitative & gross and even if the rest of the movie weren't jingoistic propaganda, that scene would have killed any positive response to the movie. This was the highest grossing movie domestically in 2014 (grossing most of it in 2015) and it's just dancing around the issues at the core of his life story instead celebrating his toxically masculine diatribes on life. I'm ideologically opposite whatever this movie is, so my response to it is especially pronounced, but man what

Last edited:

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The movie lost me when the protagonist saw a terrorist attack in TV and his line of thought was literally "They attacked America! I need to go to the Army!". And then they unironically used the Punisher logo for their unit...

As european this movie felt like a low key propaganda movie. And not even a very entertaining one. The pacing was just off for a lot of long stretches.
I mean that's how plenty of American felt after 9/11. Also the movie is called American sniper so I don't know what you were expecting.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was a harmful endorsement of the whole Brave Hero Killing The Brown People For America's Safety thing, lacking any self awareness. I'm sure many young people saw it and thought he was the coolest guy ever. Maybe I just can't stand anything resembling nationalism in today's climate.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Chris Kyle was a good soldier and a shit human being who probably shouldn't be immortalized in film.

Oct 29, 2017
I still can't believe some of the most standard VFX work on that film was approved as final, all the digital blood looked silly compared to much older war films of the last two decades.

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
Everything about this movie - the people it represented; the people who made it; and the ideology it represents - is shit!

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I've never understood the propaganda argument against this movie. The guy was your all American good guy that went to war for stupid patriotic reasons and came back an absolute wreck of a human being, almost completely destroying his mental health. He threw everyone he loved under the bus just for another "fix" of war.
I don't understand how anyone watches this and thinks to themselves "I wish I could be like him".

I understand the argument about the real person and the valid criticism of his real life persona, but not of the content in the movie... outside the clumsy ending.