• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think about Final Fantasy XV?

• I loved it!

Votes: 361 34.0%
  • Not as good as the others, but still good

Votes: 248 23.4%
  • Average game

Votes: 145 13.7%
  • Not great

Votes: 151 14.2%
  • Absolutely terrible!

Votes: 123 11.6%
  • Conflicted

Votes: 30 2.8%
  • Conflicted

Votes: 4 0.4%

• Total voters

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Loved FXV. First FF I enjoyed since X.

Actually, I liked it so much, I bought it again on PC.

Last edited:

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
The story was an absolute mess and handled in pretty much the worst possible way, but I really enjoyed the gameplay, main four characters, and world such that I still sunk over 90 hours into the game and played the first three DLC episodes. I liked it a lot in the end despite the major, major problems it has. Tabata deserves all the credit in the world and then some for essentially pulling off a miracle and repurposing Nomura's messy husk of an incomplete concept into a mostly coherent game.

It also has some of the best dungeons in the whole series, which I wasn't necessarily expecting.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an old 80's kid that grew up on the franchise. Played em all and XV ranks probably at the bottom or very close to it.

I'll give it some credit for having a pretty likeable cast. Well Noctis did nothing for me, but his mates won me over. Some occasional well delivered moments, despite a lot of forced drama and poorly managed exposition. Although absolutely nothing of merit or substance stemmed from the combat, the world, or quests. Just tepid all around and I really tried to be optimistic throughout playing. Very little ever satisfied about the experience.

OP
OP
IronFalcon1997

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
The story was an absolute mess and handled in pretty much the worst possible way, but I really enjoyed the gameplay, main four characters, and world such that I still sunk over 90 hours into the game and played the first three DLC episodes. I liked it a lot in the end despite the major, major problems it has. Tabata deserves all the credit in the world and then some for essentially pulling off a miracle and repurposing Nomura's messy husk of an incomplete concept into a mostly coherent game.

It also has some of the best dungeons in the whole series, which I wasn't necessarily expecting.
I haven't heard much of the development woes of this game, so that's interesting to hear. As far as story goes, I'm honestly not too put off by it. Maybe it gets really bad, but if the ending is good, I'll probably be fairly happy with it. It's nothing incredible, but I do really love the themes present.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I only played the Royal Edition, but I also absolutely loved it. It's even my second favorite Final Fantasy game. Watching both the anime and the movie and playing the DLC at the right moment is mandatory for enjoyment, though.

OP
OP
IronFalcon1997

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I only played the Royal Edition, but I also absolutely loved it. It's even my second favorite Final Fantasy game. Watching both the anime and the movie and playing the DLC at the right moment is mandatory for enjoyment, though.
I haven't watched either yet. Should I watch them before I get any farther into the story? I'm in Chapter 10.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game got so many nice additions with the royal edition. I hope one day they are able to merge the DLCs episodes with the main game.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I just replayed this for the first time since the first batch of DLC. I was MASSIVELY hyped for the game, and felt it turned out... alright, even if a bit disjointed. Playing it again, now that it's as "complete" as it'll ever be has been a truly transformative experience -- I LOVED it, and it might go down as one of my favorite games of the generation.

-Wanted a better explanation of the world-building lore?
Episode Ardyn starts with a gargantuan info dump about the astrals, and how Noctis's bloodline fits into it all.

-Want freedom to explore?
The game basically gives you the monster truck Regalia at the start, and my save had an accessory for unlimited stamina.

-Want better gameplay?
You can now freely switch between party members after spending a few AP, and they all have their unique styles from their DLC.

-Didn't like the stealth section?
They completely revamped chapter 13, so that you're super powerful instead of weak.

-Didn't like the sloppy storytelling in chapter 13?
They completely revamped too. My favorite character in the game is now actually Ravus, Luna's brother -- you know, the guy who was originally so insignificant that you find out he died by a random piece of paper lying on the ground.

-Liked the fishing?
They added a boat you can freely control to explore the sea between Gauldin Quay and Altissia. You can see a whale, catch new super boss fight, and have some pretty wonderful photo ops.

-Felt like they really rushed things at the end?
They added a whole giant area with a billion extra boss fights and cutscenes before the final area, and so you can spend time with your boys and get closure.

-Watched Kingsglaive and messed around with Comrades and wondered what the point of it all was?
They added late game stuff that heavily ties in the story threads in both of them, and it truly feels like the culmination of everything they set up.

-Didn't feel an emotional connection to the characters?
I only slightly embarrassed to say that episode Ignis serves as the real emotional ending of the game to me now, and got me pretty misty in the eyes.

-Find the OST repetitive even though it's one of the best soundtracks in ages?
They added an mp3 player, so you can play Nier songs as you run around fighting giant birds in volcanos.

The game is still gorgeous and the video-gamey open world is a nice change of pace after living in FF7R for a while. I followed this story guide (because there's just SO MUCH easily missed cutscenes and optional dungeons) and despite still being a little disjointed, by the time the credits rolled around, I felt like I truly had closure and played the game I was so excited for, those fleeting few years ago when it first came out.

It was really the perfect quarantine game to get lost in, and I'm sad it's over now.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
For the DLCs, you should only play Ignis and Ardyn after finishing the game.

You can already play Gladiolus's, I would've recommended to play it right at the start of chapter 8, I think? When Gladiolus comes back basically, after the power plant.

As for Prompto, play it after finishing chapter 13.

There will not be any spoilers if you play it after chapter 13, I recommend doing it that way for a better experience overall.

Ignis and Ardyn should absolutely be played after finishing the main story though.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
Started streaming it for my friends this week, haven't played since episode Prompto released. I really enjoyed it when it was released, it finds a really good rhythm in the first few hours. The story becomes kinda nonsense but seeing the subtle ways the boys interact is still really neat. Overall FF7R was a much tighter experience but this still holds up as one of my favorite open world RPGs.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I haven't heard much of the development woes of this game, so that's interesting to hear. As far as story goes, I'm honestly not too put off by it. Maybe it gets really bad, but if the ending is good, I'll probably be fairly happy with it. It's nothing incredible, but I do really love the themes present.

I would personally say that the ending is really good. In fact I think the story itself is really good too, it's just very badly told. But the ending holds up for sure.

OP
OP
IronFalcon1997

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I would personally say that the ending is really good. In fact I think the story itself is really good too, it's just very badly told. But the ending holds up for sure.
That's good to hear! Hopefully the Royal Edition changes help the storytelling later on. If not, that's fine, especially since people are saying that the ending is good.

Oct 25, 2017
I just replayed this for the first time since the first batch of DLC. I was MASSIVELY hyped for the game, and felt it turned out... alright, even if a bit disjointed. Playing it again, now that it's as "complete" as it'll ever be has been a truly transformative experience -- I LOVED it, and it might go down as one of my favorite games of the generation.

-Wanted a better explanation of the world-building lore?
Episode Ardyn starts with a gargantuan info dump about the astrals, and how Noctis's bloodline fits into it all.

-Want freedom to explore?
The game basically gives you the monster truck Regalia at the start, and my save had an accessory for unlimited stamina.

-Want better gameplay?
You can now freely switch between party members after spending a few AP, and they all have their unique styles from their DLC.

-Didn't like the stealth section?
They completely revamped chapter 13, so that you're super powerful instead of weak.

-Didn't like the sloppy storytelling in chapter 13?
They completely revamped too. My favorite character in the game is now actually Ravus, Luna's brother -- you know, the guy who was originally so insignificant that you find out he died by a random piece of paper lying on the ground.

-Liked the fishing?
They added a boat you can freely control to explore the sea between Gauldin Quay and Altissia. You can see a whale, catch new super boss fight, and have some pretty wonderful photo ops.

-Felt like they really rushed things at the end?
They added a whole giant area with a billion extra boss fights and cutscenes before the final area, and so you can spend time with your boys and get closure.

-Watched Kingsglaive and messed around with Comrades and wondered what the point of it all was?
They added late game stuff that heavily ties in the story threads in both of them, and it truly feels like the culmination of everything they set up.

-Didn't feel an emotional connection to the characters?
I only slightly embarrassed to say that episode Ignis serves as the real emotional ending of the game to me now, and got me pretty misty in the eyes.

-Find the OST repetitive even though it's one of the best soundtracks in ages?
They added an mp3 player, so you can play Nier songs as you run around fighting giant birds in volcanos.

The game is still gorgeous and the video-gamey open world is a nice change of pace after living in FF7R for a while. I followed this story guide (because there's just SO MUCH easily missed cutscenes and optional dungeons) and despite still being a little disjointed, by the time the credits rolled around, I felt like I truly had closure and played the game I was so excited for, those fleeting few years ago when it first came out.

It was really the perfect quarantine game to get lost in, and I'm sad it's over now.
My feelings. I liked it at launch but after Royal it's a way better game. Under normal circumstances I would've loved to see this teams vision completely realized. But between having to use already made assets, turn a trilogy into a single game, a rushed development time frame. They clearly just couldn't do it

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
When you're cruising around with the boys, going around on quests and taking in the scenery, it's a pretty good experience. The boy band, while not really deep, are a likeable bunch and and their quips and banter liven up the exploration. Considering that the majority of the game consists of just that is great since everything else is an utter mess.

Everyone except for the main 4 characters is woefully underdeveloped which leads to some incredibly jarring moments where our protagonists are visibly upset by some event and I'm just there watching the cutscene and being like "ok" (remember Jared lmao). It's evident that the development of XV was tumultuous and that the story suffered the most because of it. The last quarter, where the majority of the story was crammed in, is the worst part of the game for a reason. So many baffling twists, characters who fail to justify their existence in the story with how irrelevant they turn out to be, emotional story beats that fall flat on their face... It was wild seeing a story so poorly executed that even the ending, while a successful sequence in its own right, failed to move me.

XV is best when you ignore the overarching plot and just take your time exploring and fighting your way through the gorgeous fields and caverns of the world. That's what I did and I had a blast for the most of my time with the game and I'd recommend the same to anyone interested in playing it.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I can't. The open works is boring and the combat is meh. I feel very meh about it.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it quite a bit but I think it highlighted that SE really needs to relook their open world designs or try to go back to what it was like pre PS2 era. It was a beautiful world but it felt pretty shallow in regards to quest variety. The main characters were really good and felt like an actual group of friends.

I left the game with high praise for the villain but then FF14 just had to do it better with the villain in Shadowbringers lol

Combat was okay but it felt like it still needed some time in the oven. Especially more apparent after FF7R.

Luna was a massive disappointment tho.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
So, let me give some background. I've never, ever played a Final Fantasy game before, and FFXV seemed interesting to me. I have GamePass, and XV Royal Edition was on there, so I decided to try it out. I'm on chapter 10 and enjoying it immensely! The characters are all likable, relatable, and believable, the story is intriguing and has a lot to do with growing up and learning to take responsibility, which is something that's super relevant to me as I'm about to graduate and move out on my own, and the world is beautiful, compelling, and fun to play around in. My favorite part may just be driving around the world, especially when it's rainy, and just chilling with my bros. It's something that I love to do in real life, and it's very well done in the game
However, I know that FFXV was somewhat mixed upon release. Even though that tended to get better with the Royal Edition, I've still seen a lot of hate for the game, which I feel is a little unwarranted. I realize that, as someone with no background in the series, I'm just judging the game on its own merits rather than how it stacks up to the others. What I want to know is: what did you guys think of it? Did you like the game or not? What tips would you give to me as I continue to make my way through this adventure?

EDIT: I want to post updates in this thread as I get farther in the game. Hopefully I still really like it at the end!
It is deserving of its rating. I have played it twice, once on vanilla and once with windows edition.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Poll needs a 'Conflicted' option. I find it an extremely fun game to just play and run around the main continent in and I love the bros' banter, but much of the plot is atrociously executed with a whole slew of characters left embarrassingly underdeveloped. Several scenes I can't even watch without snorting or rolling my eyes at cuz they're just so badly handled. Yet despite that, I still find myself thinking 'man playing XV sounds fun' and wanting to go back to it every so often. I have a real love-hate relationship with it. :/

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Having played up to around Ch8 around the original launch and shelving it until after Royal released, it felt like a new game when I came back to it.

I liked it enough when I first played but really came to enjoy it, warts and all, with all the updates. It's definitely a lot better than people on ERA like to act like it is. Still has a lot of issues but it's a good time!

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's imo a mediocre game, that could've been good, maybe even great had they not split the game into a hundred pieces to create the FFXV Universe. The game should've been that universe. Even though they cut so much out they still weren't able to actually finish it. Reaching Altissia the game is just barely holding together by its seams. I outright hated the last chapters and the end.
It's crazy that I still cared so much for Noctis... He's one of my favorite FF characters actually.

And this is one of the best trailers ever made:

Why doesn't the actual game have anything on that level of awesome? :/

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nope it's not great the disjointed mess of a story, shitty combat and the terrible camera where the main offenders for me personally. But as posts like this show time and time again it seems to be the perfect Final Fantasy for ppl who don't actually like Final Fantasy games i guess that's at least something.
I've played every Final Fantasy game except 3 and XI, loved all of them. XV is still in my top 3. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Y'all quit needing to act like only people who don't like Final Fantasy like the game.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i to haven't really played a FF game (just the original on NES). And also started it on Game Pass today. Was digging it until i stumbled into a fight with a lot of enemies. And it was so hectic and i kept getting killed by parrots. The camera was all over the place. i kept getting disoriented

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've played every Final Fantasy game except 3 and XI, loved all of them. XV is still in my top 3. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Y'all quit needing to act like only people who don't like Final Fantasy like the game.

Well i never said "only" and it's no secret FFXV was made to reel in a new audience for the franchise cause hardcore fans would buy it anyway.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31140

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm playing it right now and I don't get/like the combat at all. Also playing at level 1 (apparently completely possible due to food buffs) because of reading that the game is super easy, and its been rough for all the wrong reasons due to the combat. Any tips?

never

Oct 28, 2017
I went into it thinking it was going to be awful based on the way people talked about it, but I came away from it loving the game. One of my favorites in the whole series.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it a lot, but my first experience with it was the Royal Edition on PC with a lot of DLC/patches already so that probably helped. Can't complain though!

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The last third of the game is 8/10 for me but the stuff before that....6/10 absolutely boring open world. Played the Royal edition with the DLCs.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I will say this about FFXV, the bros were awesome. The dialogue between them semed very natural and everyday sounding in, tone and speech pattern insted of the very anime like mannerism in a lot of other Square RPGs. They were the best thing about the game and lt's why the ending sticks so well, FFXV has one of the best endings I've seen in a game, just a shame the rest of the game is very uneven (eventhough I loved it).

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I played it at launch and was mostly disappointed. Story felt like it was chopped up and served piecemeal at the cost of coherence. Combat felt clumsy and I remember getting through every encounter by just spamming potions. Best thing was the characters and their interactions.

I've been slightly interested in replaying it with all the DLCs and Royal edition improvements. I really wanted to like the game.

cloudy

Nov 10, 2017
Just finished FF7R and was gonna try XII or XV again (never really got into them at release). Can I play the regular version of XV or must it be Royal?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I was very hyped about this game, loved the Episode Duscae Demo, I liked the movie and the Brotherhood anime, but when the game came out I just didn't want to go on after 5 hours. It felt incomplete, strange and devoid of meaningful activities. I also read a lot about the unfinished story. So I just put the game down and didn't think much about it.

I waited until last year, bought the Royal Edition and I ended up loving the game despite all its flaws. But I got very invested in the characters and loved the story. I think I've never played a game with such a big tonal shift in the middle. It went from light-hearted adventure to grim fantasy in an instant and I found the ending really sad and moving but also very epic. The additional content helped to flesh out the story and characters.

I also enjoyed Episode Ardyn a lot. He is one of the best Final Fantasy antagonists IMO. A tragic figure.

And this is one of the best trailers ever made:

I wish we got this game. There were so many good ideas here that were squandered. Imagine a sequence where the boys need to put on Nifleheim soldier outfits to sneak back into Insomnia. Then you can have that sequence where they ride the train and walk through the city and soldiers are everywhere. And when they escape you can have the sequence where the ships chase the car out of the city and wreck it. Ugh so many missed opportunities

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I voted average though I think it's slightly better than average when considering the cute road trip aspect, which was where most of the joy derived from for me. And the music, as with any Final Fantasy.

Combat's serviceable but pretty boring by the midway point. Open world looks pretty at times and has its moments of discovery but feels kinda hollow still.

The banter is fun and Noctis has a great voice actor but the story mostly sucks. Many characters are uninspired or under developed and the central premise of the whole story just isn't relatable.

Ardyn's one of the series more interesting villains though. Had great potential.

OP
OP
IronFalcon1997

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
The last third of the game is 8/10 for me but the stuff before that....6/10 absolutely boring open world. Played the Royal edition with the DLCs.
It's interesting to see the split here. People who played it at launch tend to say that the last third is what caused them to dislike the game, while people who played the Royal Edition tend to really like the latter third.

Zutter

Oct 19, 2018
I just started this about 2 weeks ago and I'm actually enjoying it more than I thought I would. I guess going in with zero expectations after constantly seeing it get shit on also helped. The only major grip is despite how pretty the world is, exploring it just feels like a whole lotta nothing. So far the game is just fine.

Granted I'm not that far in yet because I'm stuck on side quest and I have a problem ignoring them.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! I'm really hoping I love it as much as I do now when the game is over.
I certainly did and I only played vanilla XV. I replayed it when Windows Edition came out on PC so in total XV gave me 300 hours of joy. One of my favourite games of all time, something just so charming and satisfying about what they crafted, you're so lucky to experience the complete version with all the QoL improvements on first go!

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I replayed it recently with the Royal Pack and all the DLC on NG+ and actually liked it less than the first time. The intent was to do a sort of story run with no exploration. I had the best time with the Ardyn DLC. I thought that was great. I wish the whole game played like that.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Its a game that has a lot of good ideas poorly implemented which is much different than a game with poor ideas.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
It's interesting to see the split here. People who played it at launch tend to say that the last third is what caused them to dislike the game, while people who played the Royal Edition tend to really like the latter third.

Probably because of the updated final chapter from the Royal Edition, it is the best chapter of the game imo.

The ending was good in the og but the updated chapter is amazeballs

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I really liked it. I was going to say that I probably wouldn't have played ff7 remake without that game, but idk if that's true. Maximilian dood 100% influenced me into buying ff7 remake. Him alone. I fell for it. Someone sold me the game through being an influencer. RIP me

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's kind of all over the place, but I really enjoyed it. I don't know if I'd say that I loved it, but I enjoyed it very much. The plot kind of ricochets from one thing to the next without any connective tissue, but I found the main cast of characters charming. I also just really love running around in the open world, and that goes a long way for me. Getting on a chocobo and seeing the wonderful vistas and landscapes roll out. Definitely worth playing, but temper your expectations.