• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Recently, I've been looking to get into more Japanese games, as I've predominantly played Western games throughout the years. My friend recommended this game to me on the DS. I've heard of it before (and it's sequels on 3DS), but didn't know much about it. It was also my first "visual novel" type game, as well.

And, honestly, this game was just amazing. The story especially, with it's twist and turns, kept me engrossed during the entirety of the game. Best story in a game I've ever played (that bar is pretty low to be fair, cause as I said I mostly play Western games, but that's not to take away from 999).

Basically the game is that you you've ended up on this stranded ship with 8 other people, while having to through some of the hidden doors numbered 1-9 (with escape puzzles in each of them(, with door 9 being the exit, with a 9 hour time limit (or else the ship sinks and everyone dies). Checks out, huh. Slowly, you get know the other people, who you can trust, who's gonna betray you, depending on the choices you make (mainly, which of the available doors to choose). That's a very rough explanation, I think some of you can do way better/

The only part of the story I didn't like was the very ending, where Junpei, the main protagonist, just goes unconscious after someone just throws another smoke bomb and you go unconscious, with no clear resolution regarding if you and your friends got out alive. Pretty anticlimactic after the great buildup in the last few hours.

The puzzle segments weren't half bad either. They were pretty simple, but still gave a sense of accomplishment after finishing them.

Thoughts? Additionally, what are some good recommendations for similar games (on any console).

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You haven't finished the game. It's meant to be replayed for the true ending.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Bruh, leave this thread and just keep playing.

You'll know when to stop.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely check out Hotel Dusk and The Last Window on DS. They're up there with 999 as the best visual novels on the system.

Also recommend Snatcher and Policenauts if you want more science fiction VNs in the vein of 999.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
If I recall correctly, after completing the game for the first time, you unlocked a "trailer" for the game. It has a hint for what you should do on your next playthrough. (Or just look up a spoiler-free guide.)

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Man, I don't even remember that ending.
But you aren't close to done.

Get ALL the endings, this game DEMANDS multiple playthroughs

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Go play the game again and again until you get the true ending, OP. It's going to be a tad repetitive because you will have to replay bits you've seen before, but it's absolutely worth it.

Oh and don't look anywhere for information or opinions on the game, perhaps not even this thread, because you might get spoiled. As someone who's normally fine with being spoiled and actively looks for spoilers, trust me when I say this game is best experienced blind.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It does make you think about how many people must have played this game and never realized they didn't get anywhere close to the full experience after finishing it once.

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go play the game again and again until you get the true ending, OP. It's going to be a tad repetitive because you will have to replay bits you've seen before, but it's absolutely worth it.

Oh and don't look anywhere for information or opinions on the game, perhaps not even this thread, because you might get spoiled. As someone who's normally fine with being spoiled and actively looks for spoilers, trust me when I say this game is best experienced blind.
Doesn't the new releases have the feature that skips text you've seen from other routes?

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Keep playing blind until you solve it and get to the true ending. I think the progress tree in the remaster and later games kinda ruin the experience a little.

Kudos if you're playing the DS version though.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
It does make you think about how many people must have played this game and never realized they didn't get anywhere close to the full experience after finishing it once.
Less than 50% judging by the trophies

Keep playing blind until you solve it and get to the true ending. I think the progress tree in the remaster and later games kinda ruin the experience a little.

Kudos if you're playing the DS version though.
I would have given the game a 7/10 without the progress tree

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Less than 50% judging by the trophies

I would have given the game a 7/10 without the progress tree

Nah. Figuring out everything myself without a progress tree made the later moments extra special.

Not to mention how several of my failed runs of trial and error was tied to the story was super cool

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Bruh, what? There's multiple endings to this game?
I thought the only real difference was the puzzles changing cause all the diverging doors lead to the same place anyways.
So I got a "bad" ending then (more ambiguous than bad), and there's a separate canon ending?

Welp, time to restart I guess. Idk how much longer I can sit through it though, the text scrolls pretty slow.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Bruh, what? There's multiple endings to this game? I thought the only real difference was the puzzles changing cause all the diverging doors lead to the same place anyways.
So I got a "bad" ending then (more ambiguous than bad), and there's a separate canon ending?

Welp, time to restart I guess. Idk how much longer I can sit through it though, the text scrolls pretty slow.
Are you playing on DS or PC?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Bruh, what? There's multiple endings to this game? I thought the only real difference was the puzzles changing cause all the diverging doors lead to the same place anyways.

There's a way to fast forward through text that you've already seen iirc

Have fun with it dude, you're in for a treat

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
Yooooo I was just about to make a thread about this game -- except I actually beat the game ;)

The true ending is not optional! I couldn't imagine playing one ending and being done. The true ending is worth.

This is likely my favorite visual novel, and I agree that it likely has the best story in any game I've played. The bar is low, yes, but it's not just western games. JP games aren't necessarily special. Most games have bad stories in general, but visual novels likely have a larger % of good ones. If anybody has recommendations for games with good stories, let me know. Bonus points it they're not visual novels.

999 kept me on my toes and was a roller coaster of twists. It wasn't until I tried explaining the story of this to a friend that I realized how nuts it gets.

I played the steam version, which has voice acting, and this is the first anime game I've actually enjoyed the voices for. They actually sound like real people, except for maybe

kids' voices.

I hear the best of the series is yet to come. Excited to try them out!

Legendary thread HAHAHAHA
funyarinpa

Last edited:

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Yooooo I was just about to make a thread about this game -- except I actually beat the game ;)

This is likely my favorite visual novel, and I agree that it likely has the best story in any game I've played. The bar is low, yes, but it's not just western games. JP games aren't necessarily special. Most games have bad stories in general, but visual novels likely have a larger % of good ones. If anybody has recommendations for games with good stories, let me know. Bonus points it they're not visual novels.

999 kept me on my toes and was a roller coaster of twists. It wasn't until I tried explaining the story of this to a friend that I realized how nuts it gets.

I played the steam version, which has voice acting, and this is the first anime game I've actually enjoyed the voices for. They actually sound like real people, except for maybe

kids' voices.

I hear the best of the series is yet to come. Excited to try them out!

funyarinpa

oof
oh no

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
OP stop reading this thread and finish it lol
I'm so glad I got this game when I did. I just asked the ebgames person if they could recommend a DS game and they had just gotten a shipment of this with the new cover art so i just grabbed it

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Figuring out everything myself without a progress tree made the later moments extra special.

Not to mention how several of my failed runs of trial and error was tied to the story was super cool
VNs are far too specific in what you need to trigger that it would have just drug the game downward for me. Plus it's just waiting for text and scenes to speed by otherwise, it's a waste of time.
IIRC you can hold X to make previously read text scroll faster. Also I highly recommend using a spoiler free guide to getting the true ending without wasting playthroughs.
There this one if you don't want to even tempt yourself with puzzle solutions (the one I posted earlier had no spoilers but had hidden puzzle solutions)

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
anyway, i'm waiting here for OP to deliver.

God, remember the good old days of the VLR threads? Also when there were finally 9 LTTP 999 threads I was so jazzed

iag

Oct 27, 2017
There's a button to speed up text you already read in DS OP, look for it.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

you're playing the correct version.

there's also a spoiler-free faq for how to achieve the true ending. now that you've gone through the game once, i do recommend it, because just guessing will make you do this:

qgbtrmd-JuJn3AZflbQ-aBlS8v4=.gif

Last edited:

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
OP, you can speed up text you've seen before once you begin another playthrough!

Can't wait for you to really finish it, LOL

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
These threads are the best, eagerly awaiting further impressions. Possibly my #1 "wish I could erase my memory and play it for the first time again" game.