• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
LSU is investigating whether Odell Beckham Jr. gave real money to players after his alma mater's victory in the national championship game on Monday, according to associate athletic director Robert Munson.

The investigation is being conducted after the university initially claimed that the money was fake. LSU released a statement Wednesday evening stating that "information and footage reviewed since shows apparent cash may have also been given to LSU student-athletes."

Quarterback Joe Burrow said that Beckham gave him real cash after the game, but did not address the money given to Jefferson and Kirklin.

"I'm not a student-athlete anymore so I can say it, yeah," Burrow told Pardon My Take.

Video

God forbid the players who put their lives on the line get a few hundred bucks the same night they make the NCAA and tv networks millions of dollars right?

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
This rule pisses me off so much. The students are the ones doing the work, they should be allowed to profit from it.

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
Fullscreen-capture-5262011-74037-AM.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
The NCAA is shit but honestly OBJ should know better than to be doing this in front of a zillion cameras. He knows exactly that he's jeopardizing their college careers to give them cash. Like come on.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's dumb for OBJ to do this on TV when he knows the rules and how it can hurt the kids and the rule itself is disgusting greed from the NCAA.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
Shouldnt of done it in front of the cameras.

LSU isnt stupid they're already under some shit when one of their Boosters embezzled from a childrens cancer charity and gave the cash to a prominent players father back in 2015.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
The indignation universities show toward paying the athletes who bring in millions of dollars to their schools is absurd. Pretending these kids are all students instead of minor league NFL prospects who can suffer career-ending injuries before they're even allowed to collect a paycheck is grotesque.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
He is just an alumni/booster donating to the football program. How is this a breech?

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
He can't give his friends a gift? Wtf?
No the "Student-Athletes" are not allowed to have any gifts or compensation from anyone unless it's authorized by the NCAA. Especially if the person doing the give has some form of conflict of interest.

For example Mike Golic is a radio personality for ESPN and his son played for Notre Dame. While his son played for Notre Dame he couldn't take his son and his friends out to dinner because he worked for ESPN and that would have qualified as a possible rules violation.

Its idiotic.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
He should have invited the team to dinner and gave them money there but I guess he wanted the attention in front of the cameras.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No the "Student-Athletes" are not allowed to have any gifts or compensation from anyone unless it's authorized by the NCAA. Especially if the person doing the give has some form of conflict of interest.

For example Mike Golic is a radio personality for ESPN and his son played for Notre Dame. While his son played for Notre Dame he couldn't take his son and his friends out to dinner because he worked for ESPN and that would have qualified as a possible rules violation.

Its idiotic.
That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I know this happened in New Orleans but did Odell expect them to start stripping? It's all about the unmarked envelope like a mafia wedding.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The Odell shit is now all over the sports radio this morning.

Literally every station i have heard is laughing at the NCAA and the absurdity of the situation given the fact that the players are getting AT MOST a few hundred bucks while the NCAA and tv networks just made millions.

How is this real life?

Oct 25, 2017
It's a couple hundred bucks at most

Dude bought Beats for their entire staff and players. Nobody thought twice

Fix college football, goddammit

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Odell just can't help himself. That said, if I understand it correctly, the players he handed money to technically were no longer college athletes the moment the clock struck zero.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Odell is an idiot for doing this so everyone would know. Do it at a private party or something so it doesn't get out with this amount of ease it has right now. I was just talking to a boss of mines about how terrible the NCAA is but rules are rules.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
The indignation universities show toward paying the athletes who bring in millions of dollars to their schools is absurd. Pretending these kids are all students instead of minor league NFL prospects who can suffer career-ending injuries before they're even allowed to collect a paycheck is grotesque.
Even during the game they were talking about how the LSU quarterback has already graduated, but takes a couple of online classes to remain a "student" there while actually spending all of his time on football

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If it was after the game, what the fuck is the NCAA gonna do. Honestly, I know Odell isn't trying to do this, but this conversation needs to keep happening to show how idiotic the NCAA is

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Odell is an idiot for doing this so everyone would know. Do it at a private party or something so it doesn't get out with this amount of ease it has right now. I was just talking to a boss of mines about how terrible the NCAA is but rules are rules.

The private party would have been a rules violation. Like, really, the football team can't even have an unauthorized pizza party under NCAA rules.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
The private party would have been a rules violation. Like, really, the football team can't even have an unauthorized pizza party under NCAA rules.
Yeah the NCAA is dumb as shit. Odell should have just not given em cash. Maybe after their done playing get them all gifts or something unless the NCAA is so evil that they can't except shit even after out of College Football. Odell I think could have taken pictures with them, IDK. This whole thing is idiotic.

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Stupid in every direction, but especially on the part of OBJ. He knows that he can't do what he's doing, and he's doing it in front of 300 cameras.

But yeah, fuck the NCAA, too. I love college football, but when a coach gets a cool half mil to play and win a game, how can his players get nothing? It has to change, and I hope players strike eventually in mass as they did at Northwestern.

War Eagle

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Video

God forbid the players who put their lives on the line get a few hundred bucks the same night they make the NCAA and tv networks millions of dollars right?

FUCKING LOL. How stupid can OBJ be? Don't get me wrong--the NCAA are fucking crooks, but until we have an actual change, how on earth could you be so stupid to do that on national TV? Hopefully, for LSU's sake, the only players who received that money are NFL-bound this spring anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Detach the NFL's minor league from education. Pay the players. It's silly pretending this is anything other than what it is.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
Noboby cares about the money. It's just easy to bash attention whore OBJ for always being in these situations.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
FUCKING LOL. How stupid can OBJ be? Don't get me wrong--the NCAA are fucking crooks, but until we have an actual change, how on earth could you be so stupid to do that on national TV? Hopefully, for LSU's sake, the only players who received that money are NFL-bound this spring anyway.

This.

It's against the rules, even if those rules are stupid. You don't do it.

Weed should be legal everywhere, you don't light up in front of the police in a State where it's illegal though.

OBJ is an idiot for doing that in front of cameras.

Noboby cares about the money. It's just easy to bash attention whore OBJ for always being in these situations.

People absolutely care about the money...or this wouldn't be a thing.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't he make them look dumb by saying 'I was giving some gifts to friends, that's all, prove I wasn't.'