• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Love-Live-School-Idol-Festival-after-school-ACTIVITY-Wai-Wai-Home-Meeting_2020_12-06-20_003.jpg

Love Live! School Idol Festival ~after school ACTIVITY~ Wai-Wai! Home Meeting!! launches March 24th next year, but the bigger news to me is its cost. It's a free-to-play game, but you only have access to 8 songs off the bat. Each individual song costs 440 yen (Western price TBA), with song packs that have currently unknown pricing. They could announce additional free songs or different versions for the west that actually come with a good amount of content, but the current pricing is wild. Here's our very own Mr. Gematsu with the numbers.

NhLokHJ.png

Personally, not really a Love Live fan, but I was looking forward to another PS4 rhythm game. We'll see how it ends up.

Source:
www.gematsu.com

Love Live! School Idol Festival ~after school ACTIVITY~ Wai-Wai! Home Meeting!! launches March 24, 2021

Love Live! School Idol Festival ~after school ACTIVITY~ Wai-Wai! Home Meeting!! will launch for PlayStation 4 via the PlayStation Store on March 24, 2021 worldwide, publisher Square Enix announced.…

edit:

Last edited:

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I was pretty disappointed when I saw this earlier today though I guess it is kind of expected with something like Love Live. I enjoy rhythm games but not when they are this predatory. Apparently Japan does have two retail editions (one for µ 's and the other for Aquors) and they come with their own respective dlc but it is just a code in a box with some goodies and no physical disc. No idea if it includes everything or just some songs for each group either. I kind of hope the US version ends up having a disc but it feels like something I will probably end up just trying the free version and playing the 8 songs.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The bundle packs have yen pricing, they're just varied:
I was pretty disappointed when I saw this earlier today though I guess it is kind of expected with something like Love Live. I enjoy rhythm games but not when they are this predatory. Apparently Japan does have two retail editions (one for µ 's and the other for Aquors) and they come with their own respective dlc but it is just a code in a box with some goodies and no physical disc. No idea if it includes everything or just some songs for each group either. I kind of hope the US version ends up having a disc but it feels like something I will probably end up just trying the free version and playing the 8 songs.

Yeah, those aren't retail editions. They're art books that include post cards and costume DLC.

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018

Yeah, those aren't retail editions. They're art books that include post cards and costume DLC.
That sucks they don't even come with songs? lol I remember being sad when Future Tone for Miku was digital only but that one at least had season passes and stuff.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy they don't even have a complete package, behind a limited collector edition at $100+

But its even crazier to think that would be okay.

We got used to these practises... the DOA business model

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The sticker shock is real, but if you're a Love Live fan it's probably not that bad considering you're into gacha hell already.

I think in comparison I've spent $100-$150 on Groove Coaster DLC, so...again, not completely insane. Don't blame anyone for looking at this and walking away though. The extremes of F2P

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I would only pay for this version of Snow Halation:

Oh, thanks! My bad. I clicked your link in the comments that showed me the english site with TBH pricing.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Oh no, I love Love Live but I don't want to pay a million dollars for the full game. I hope it's good tho!

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Just looked at gameplay, and that is very hard to look at. The spacing of where the notes line up on a phone works out since it's so small, but those prompts being spread to the edges of a 55" TV would surely make me miss tons of notes. Even watching it on my computer, I found it hard to follow... like harder to follow than harder Project Diva songs. Maybe you'd get used to it, but I think I'd hurt my eyes.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Ngl I might still buy the µ's pack anyways. It's ridiculous pricing but I love Love Live and I've spent more on rhythm game bullshit in the past.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I'm a huge Love Live fan (it's one of my favorite franchises of all time) and I'm pretty good with not spending all that money lol

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
That's fair. I've spent probably like 400 bucks or more between all the Taiko games and their DLC that I've bought. Rhythm games ain't cheap!

I spent upwards of several hundred dollars on the Rock Band franchise between peripherals, DLC, and instruments when I was in high school. Then later I basically bought an Xbox One for RB4, only to not even play it that much past the first few months it was out.

I also regularly imported rhythm games like Project Diva, Ouendan, Band Bros, etc. back when import fees were higher. And probably spent a lot of money at arcades to play DDR/PIU/ITG/IIDX growing up too.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I spent upwards of several hundred dollars on the Rock Band franchise between peripherals, DLC, and instruments when I was in high school. Then later I basically bought an Xbox One for RB4, only to not even play it that much past the first few months it was out.

I also regularly imported rhythm games like Project Diva, Ouendan, Band Bros, etc. back when import fees were higher. And probably spent a lot of money at arcades to play DDR/PIU/ITG/IIDX growing up too.
I don't even know how much yen I spent on rhythm games in arcades when I was living in Japan... kinda scary to consider, though I was never one of those "Stop at the arcade every day before/after work" people.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of Love Live but do enjoy similar rhythm games so I was going to buy this, but at those prices? Hard nope. Project Diva Arcade: Future Tone offered more content and cost a fraction of that when it launched in Japan.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
That's bad, but not as egregious as some niche simulators' DLC which can often total thousands of dollars (thank god Polyphony didn't take Gran Turismo down that path... they were considering an a la carte DLC business model back when they were first trying to find their footing in the HD era).

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of Love Live but do enjoy similar rhythm games so I was going to buy this, but at those prices? Hard nope. Project Diva Arcade: Future Tone offered more content and cost a fraction of that when it launched in Japan.

It is hard to buy anything again after that. Can always just go back and work on more songs

But even that game had some of those later questionable dlcs that were more in line with the usual, if not a little sparse for the price

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sheer price aside, at least it is deterministic. Otherwise it is either worth it for you or it isn't.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Between the Taiko Drum games on PS4 & Switch got to be getting to a comparable number for me lol

Will there be ongoing content? At this point jumping in day one I'd rather it be a sub service