• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 18, 2017
Lmao this isn't 'gender politics'. Every girl I know thinks Amber is a bellend too. She's annoying because she's constantly trying to stir shit up, get her nose in other peoples business and laughing in peoples faces/smirking. Started arguments then just defaulting to childish 'hmmm ok then *smirk'. It would infuriate me too.

Hmmmmmm...

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
I used to say Amber was waifu material but as series gone on see gotten worse with attitude, arguments over nothing, sticking nose where does not belong and the whole Danny situation was peak embarrassment

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
vRvryPe.png

YE CHILDISH

Oct 27, 2017
Even if you want to talk gender politics, there is absolutely fuck all empowering or progressive about the way Anna and Amber have carried themselves.

Their attitude fucking stinks. There is a reason (aside from money and "fame") that some of these people are here.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not liked Anna at all since the way she behaved when Danny rightfully chose Arabella over Yewande (the whole BYE BYE BYYYE thing) and the way she was shouting down to Maura with the over the top laughing when she first came in.

Both her and Amber struck me as school bullies in those situations. At the same time Arabella showed poise and class throughout it.

Michael didn't handle it well but I think he's made the right decision.

Curtis is the fakest you could ever wish to see, every move he makes is with a career in mind, he knows what the producers will lap up and thrives on it.

Can't see how it's gender politics to point any of that out, seems a straw man to suggest criticism of a girl is due to inherit sexism

Oct 29, 2017
Not liked Anna at all since the way she behaved when Danny rightfully chose Arabella over Yewande (the whole BYE BYE BYYYE thing) and the way she was shouting down to Maura with the over the top laughing when she first came in.

Both her and Amber struck me as school bullies in those situations.

Michael didn't handle it well but I think he's made the right decision.

Curtis is the fakest you could ever wish to see, every move he makes is with a career in mind, he knows what the producers will lap up and thrives on it.
I don't think I've ever agreed with someone more. Good post.

Oct 27, 2017
NHS Pharmacists can even prescribe medicine for patients on their own on the spot without consulting a doctor apart from in a few situations, which in a weird sense puts them higher on the medical authority scale than, say, nurses. So, y'know, she's a dickhead but she must have academic chops and absolutely is in a scientific discipline.

The acid test is whether Anna is GPhC (sorry) and HCPC Registered and to what competancy.

A Pharmacist is not going to be making 'on-the-spot' decisions to prescribe Medazolam.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Watching this show after watching Terrace House really made me appreciate it more.

Nov 18, 2017
Reading this thread has made me appreciate not getting the views of a bunch of gamers on the behaviour of reality TV women. It's not ok to call the guys "pricks", but the girls are "scrotes" and that's ok because "every girl you know" thinks so. And Michael was totally fine and not at all a controlling freak and that's exactly the same as what Anna did.

O. K.

Bye Bye Byeeeee.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading this thread has made me appreciate not getting the views of a bunch of gamers on the behaviour of reality TV women. It's not ok to call the guys "pricks", but the girls are "scrotes" and that's ok because "every girl you know" thinks so. And Michael was totally fine and not at all a controlling freak and that's exactly the same as what Anna did.

O. K.

Bye Bye Byeeeee.
When did I say it wasn't ok to call the guys pricks? You're free to do whatever you like. I'm not getting my panties bunched up over it. But insinuating that I'm sexist or my gender politics are off because I think a girl is a dickhead is weird.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
This is my first season, a bunch of guys and girls in work made me promise to watch this years because I'd be into it, which they were completely right about.

But if you had told me I'd be rooting for a guy who couldn't make a peppermint tea and a girl who came in with a toy elephant, I would have called you crazy. But they've become so darn adorable, I said to the WhatsApp work group we have for Love Island that I hope Tommy would be standing there with EllieBellie (spelling?) waiting for Molly and he was.

Curtis and Amy were pretty high in my books, burn Curtis over the last week has come out as so fake and such an actor. He seemed to have no chemistry with Jourdan, they barely seemed to speak, and then he's saying he would lick her in a coupling, such BS, wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him.

I think if Michael has just said he had more chemistry with Joanna and moved on I think they'd be getting over this much quicker. He's gone into this situation with completely the wrong attitude which has just made it all worse.

Both Michael and Curtis have come back from this telling Amber and Amy that they both had problems in their relationships that they ignored, and both have tried to come out as if they weren't the ones who had the problem that got them into this situation.

Oct 29, 2017

O. K.

Bye Bye Byeeeee.
Oh mate nobody even said you can't call guys pricks.

You came in, got mardy, tried to call people sexist, got called out and now you're running off with 'dont even care what a bunch of gamers say anyway whatever.'

As is evidenced by the fact you can't quote people, because your argument hinges on a straw man of shit people never said.

Bye hun. You'll be missed.

Right, back to the show.

Any thought of Maura being after Curtis feels contrived.
Curtis tried to slide into her DMs before, didn't he? Not sure why Maura is coming up with this now. She may have made some comments before but I do wonder.

I don't think I'd mind, Curtis is clearly playing a game so if anyone wants to play it with him, fuck it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Why do so many people adamantly hate this show? I bring it up to people I know and they look at me like there's something wrong with me for liking the show.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Why do so many people adamantly hate this show? I bring it up to people I know and they look at me like there's something wrong with me for liking the show.

Because they haven't watched it usually.

I didn't start watching til last year and just assumed it was vacuous trash TV.
Well, it kinda is, but god damn is it entertaining.

The show does have a lot of issues, like promoting unrealistic beauty standards and reinforcing a lot of gender stereotypes, so I can understand people's problems with it.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
how is Anna going to call Ovie a child? Anna was insufferable in that conversation and Ovie had taken the whole thing on the chin up until then

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know where this idea came from that you have to talk to the ex before you talk to the person you're interested in. I mean it's nothing more than a heads up. It doesn't exactly change anything.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
This show makes me glad I'm in good relationship and no need to date because fucking hell all these rules you need now and none make sense.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Amy redeemed. what a twist ending for her, i have to assume the counselor planted that seed but this was spectacular television.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I watched the first episode, but I don't know. This is my first attempt at any kind of dating relationship type show, but it's on one of the few OTA channels I get. Five nights a week? It seemed like they stretched the hell out of it just to fill time. I don't know how much of this I can stomach.

Oct 27, 2018
I watched the first episode, but I don't know. This is my first attempt at any kind of dating relationship type show, but it's on one of the few OTA channels I get. Five nights a week? It seemed like they stretched the hell out of it just to fill time. I don't know how much of this I can stomach.
Actually six nights a week. And there's an "unseen bits" on the seventh, but I've never watched that.

I know a few of people who like reality TV but have said they don't watch Love Island purely because it's such a massive commitment, which I completely get. Worth it though.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK

Actually six nights a week. And there's an "unseen bits" on the seventh, but I've never watched that.

I know a few of people who like reality TV but have said they don't watch Love Island purely because it's such a massive commitment, which I completely get. Worth it though.

Think that might be the US one, that started yesterday over there and is 5 nights.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

If this is the US one you mean, we don't really know how it's going to pan out... it's an export of the UK show (which is what this thread is primarily about), and the UK show is a TV phenomenon here and has been successfully imported to Australia and some European countries already.

The reason that it's so many nights a week, though, is because the show is 'real time' - so at 9pm you see the previous nights' events from like 7, plus the whole day up until about 7pm, and then the same the next day and so on. So what's different to a lot of reality relationship stuff on TV is there's a sort of immediacy to everything, and viewers are usually pretty highly engaged in voting on things to shape what happens through the app etc (so a good example is in your average show, they might leave public voting open for a day, several hours, or even a week... in Love Island votes are only open for 30 minutes, because they need to get the result and action it so they can feature the result and the aftermath in the following night's show. There's less padding than you'd think.

Not sure how the US one is going to turn out, anyway, but the UK one this thread will I'm sure heartily recommend, and it is available there on some service or another.

Mar 29, 2018
Why is Amber an "annoying little scrote"?

Some real insights into posters' gender politics rearing in this thread... in terms of how behaviours are judged differently based on gender...
I'd agree that Amber is annoying, but it's definitely nothing to do with her gender - it's to do with how she handles arguments/confrontations. Same with Anna.

Basically they're pretty sound amicable people, but the minute an argument begins, they regress to being 13 year olds. Snide remarks, smug smiles - and the worst - constantly interrupting, not listening, picking on specific phrases/actions and building straw men/ad hominems out of it. Anna's dialogue with Ovie was basically unbearable for this. My blood was boiling watching the conversation.

The exact opposite is Maura who is completely true to herself and the others around her, listens, is direct about what she feels/thinks, etc. Whereas Amber is a lot of teenage-level performative gunk.

HOWEVER Amber has definitely matured a lot even in the last week. Her "I'm hard nothing can touch me" facade has began to slip and she's clearly showing her emotions/true colours more.

Was so chuffed when he said that

This show makes me glad I'm in good relationship and no need to date because fucking hell all these rules you need now and none make sense.
These "rules" are basically bullshit. There are no rules. Be open and kind to people. Those are the only rules.

On Radio 4's Women's Hour the other day they had two young feminists on analysing the show and it was fascinating.

Talking about how the majority of "characters" on the show are firmly trapped within structurally sexist/patriarchal norms regarding relationships. For example the guys are firmly in traditional ideas of the "bro code" (bros before ho's, interventionist, relationship lines a little more blurred) and the girls firmly in "girl code" (nominally supportive but often just reiterate "what the girl wants to hear", stay completely in-lane regarding relationships) and that the dynamics are basically all two-dimensional because of that.

The only exception they noticed? Maura. Two times Maura broke out of "relationship lanes" and told boys they liked them even though it was another girl's "lane". Several times Maura has told the a girl in drama not what she wanted to hear but what she had to hear - was honest, harsh, where all the other girls were just trying to be nominally supportive ("you're in the right no matter what").

It's the fucking wild west, man!

Last edited: