• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Then no. I believe they were colonists.
No it's not a videogame. I'm not even sure what you're referring to. That episode was pretty straight forward
Must be just you because I didn't get that feeling at all ever and I'm not even sure how you got that feeling other than maybe someone telling you it was like Starcraft?
So it was only me!
It had a video game feeling for me. From story, creatures and robots to graphic style that were like Fortnite somehow. I thought it's an online game and we'll know it in the end as a surprise, but it wasn't!

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it was only me!
It had a video game feeling for me. From story, creatures and robots to graphic style that were like Fortnite somehow. I thought it's an online game and we'll know it in the end as a surprise, but it wasn't!

It could have probably been fitting as a game cutscene but the story and world were played pretty straight.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Suits felt very much like it had been pulled from a larger film.

Also I watched Helping Hand today šŸ˜¬

OP
OP
Kinthey

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Suits felt very much like it had been pulled from a larger film.

Also I watched Helping Hand today šŸ˜¬
Really liked that one. It's a bit of an uphill battle because in the beginning it just feels like an alternate version of "Gravity" but I think they put a good twist on it.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have to agree on noticing how the series seems overly "masculine". Wonder how many women were involved in their development.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Lucky 13 is all CG, right? I honestly couldn't tell at times. That was incredible looking.

And yeah, a longer story in that world would be great. (Even though it looks a lot like Halo).

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just an edgy pokemon, hardly original.

I want Aquila Rift to be made into a horror movie. Like a crew get stuck on that place and try to get out alive or something.

... it doesn't need to be original. It just needs to be amazing visually.

That would get tedious after a few episodes.

There wouldn't be a battle every single episode. I imagine you have to create a team, catch the monster, train with it, and fight it. Get a new one when you lose. Throw in some edgy adult theme plot and there you go. Suspense, drama, love, betrayal. Everything you need.

You talking to someone with a PokƩmon avatar. It'll take more then a few episodes for me to find something tedious.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure many people realize but Sonnie's Edge is an adaptation of a short story written by Peter F Hamilton. You can read it online here and its actually a part of a larger universe of his with other stories based in it.

Sargerus

ā–² Legend ā–²
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Someone please take Beyond the Aquila Rift and make a full movie out of it. Might probably be the best thing i watched this year so far.

Just finished another one...

Good Hunting - Nice animation. Felt too short to really let it breathe, but was all right.
Sonnie's Edge - Cool CG but poor writing, didn't finish.
The Secret War - Really liked the concept/angle and the CG was great. Would love a bigger series on this one.

Next up should be...?

You didn't have 15 minutes to spare?

Just to see the end of a monster fight? Not really. I'm more interested in the people side of things, and it just wasn't enough to keep me going. I've since moved on to some of the others. Is there more to it that warrants a second look?

Three Robots - Very cute. Loved the Metronome-looking robot.
Blindspot - Felt like it was written by a teenage Rob Liefeld. Very, erm, classic '90s?

There's more ham, but I think the ending is interesting.

As long as it doesn't end with her rolling in bed with a 'golden trophy' I guess it's not a total waste of time. I should probably give them more credit. Most of these have been pretty cool, actually.

Just finished Shape-shifters. The marine looks eerily like a marine I dated a few years ago... Made for an interesting viewing.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I'm not sure many people realize but Sonnie's Edge is an adaptation of a short story written by Peter F Hamilton. You can read it online here and its actually a part of a larger universe of his with other stories based in it.

Several of these things being originally short stories or from other writings being adapted at least makes me excited by the idea that Netflix could do several more of these anthology series doing vignettes of short stories out there in the atmosphere.

Though for some of these which like Sonnie's Edge feel like small parts of larger stories it seems to possibly also work as pilots for potential series down the line. I mean I'd love to get a series that goes into that universe with a bit more depth. Good Hunting is in that same boat for me.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching this and even though I liked some episodes, I think it's a shame that so much time and talent was wasted on so many bad scripts.
In an artfrom where you have to commit 100% to the script, why greenlight so much undercooked stuff? In general, there was too much exposition, flashbacks, talking (no need to spell out the subtext) and too many clichƩs. You rarerly have the time to breath and contemplate. My favourite shorts were Zima Blue, When The Yogurt Took Over and Helping hand.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Good Hunting easily could be expanded into a full movie or even an entire show. The world was really interesting but mostly unexplored and it would be cool to see a lot more of the characters.
Play 80 Days! It's a lot like that in tone! Alternate history, lots of focus on non-anglo countries, what if scenarios with steampunk tech progression, post-colonial/anti-colonial themes, automata, etc.

Wow @ The Witness. That's a level of CG I've never seen before. The movement, the weight of the clothes, the people... Incredible. Hair always seems to be a struggle, though. Still, amazing visually and tight story. Finally!

I also saw Suits and liked it. It wasn't anything original (everybody seems to love
that kind of monster design)
, but I'm a sucker for that kind of scenario (why I liked The Secret War as well). Dialogue was much more natural as was the feel overall, too.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Wow @ The Witness. That's a level of CG I've never seen before. The movement, the weight of the clothes, the people... Incredible. Hair always seems to be a struggle, though. Still, amazing visually and tight story. Finally!

Uh, but the Witness was real footage and real people with weird makeup and CG on top. ( I think?)
But yes it was visually stunning and unique.

Watched it all in a couple days.
I enjoyed it for what it was: I had no expectations and I hadn't read a single review or opinion (I understand those expecting a "revolutionary sci fi classic" were more critical, or pissed even) but it was entertaining and the 8/12 mins format works so well for me.

Always loved the twilight zone/tales from the darkside narrative structure and even if most stories were rather weak, not at all smart or downright pointless (Dracula, werewolves, night of the fish -which had some nice sequences- went absolutely nowhere) I still enjoyed it and I hope they make more.

Zima Blue was very interesting despite the inconsistencies and visuals which I thought were striking but not as strong as some of the other episodes.
Good Hunting was pretty good all around and I'd like to see it fleshed out and expanded upon.

Uh, but the Witness was real footage and real people with weird makeup and CG on top. ( I think?)
But yes it was visually stunning and unique.

Watched it all in a couple days.
I enjoyed it for what it was: I had no expectations and I hadn't read a single review or opinion (I understand those expecting a "revolutionary sci fi classic" were more critical, or pissed even) but it was entertaining and the 8/12 mins format works so well for me.

Always loved the twilight zone/tales from the darkside narrative structure and even if most stories were rather weak, not at all smart or downright pointless (Dracula, werewolves, night of the fish -which had some nice sequences- went absolutely nowhere) I still enjoyed it and I hope they make more.

Zima Blue was very interesting despite the inconsistencies and visuals which I thought were striking but not as strong as some of the other episodes.
Good Hunting was pretty good all around and I'd like to see it fleshed out and expanded upon.

Was it? I'd told my husband I was watching them and he was chatting about it with one of his coworkers and they said The Witness was something else because of how it was all CG. Just went off that. Didn't look it up myself. Still, what a cool technique.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I though also, but the director and main animators involved with it claim the whole thing is not only not rotoscoped or uses any live footage at all - they claim it's all manually animated with key framing without even using any mocap. Which is still mind blowing and almost unbelievable to me, even though I've rewatched it now with that knowledge in mind.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Saw about half of it throughout the week. Fucking incredible so far. I hope Netflix turns this into a yearly thing and contracts more studios to do some shorts. Loving the variety and incredible CGI.

Aquila Rift is so damn interesting that I'm actually considering buying books from the original author. The weakest one might have to be the farm one, but only because I get reminded of those screaming mobile game icons everytime I see the artstyle. Not fair to them at all lol, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were behind some trailers to those games.1

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what I though also, but the director and main animators involved with it claim the whole thing is not only not rotoscoped or uses any live footage at all - they claim it's all manually animated with key framing without even using any mocap. Which is still mind blowing and almost unbelievable to me, even though I've rewatched it now with that knowledge in mind.

I refuse to believe this. It's clearly rotoscoped.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Watched a few of these and man this is some try hard edgelord shit. The production is fantastic and the action is great though the dialogue and writing is pretty cringe.

I liked the art style in the mech farmers one.

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to see the end of a monster fight? Not really. I'm more interested in the people side of things, and it just wasn't enough to keep me going. I've since moved on to some of the others. Is there more to it that warrants a second look?

It's actually more than just a fight. It's a solid story and at least deserves a watch.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
This is exactly geared at me and I didn't like it. The stories are trying so hard to be edgy and a lot of them just fell flat to me - super predictable and a lot of this ground has been thoroughly covered by other movies/books. There wasn't a single short that showed me something I've never seen before - I feel like that should be the whole point of these things. I guessed the ending to 90% of them. They are also very, very visually impressive in a technical sense, but there isn't any imagery that really delivers that "wow" factor. Don't use incredibly well-done CGI to just show me the sort of thing I'd seen in any big budget live-action sci-fi movie.

Next, I'm all for sexiness but some of the erotic stuff/nudity felt really forced and juvenile. Reminded me of the first issues of Heavy Metal from back in the 70s - "Hey this, ain't yo DADDY'S SCI-FI -- this time we got boobs and dicks!" Again, I'm down for sexy stuff, but the way it was done here was just...cheesy and uninteresting. The Witness was probably the worst with this...interlude for some random gyrations at a bondage club, then back to the chase, smh.

The comedy episodes were also awful. Bad internet meme-level humor that is stretched out too thin.

This was a big disappointment for me. I'm down for this kind of show...concept is an A, execution is a D.

Watched a few of these and man this is some try hard edgelord shit. The production is fantastic and the action is great though the dialogue and writing is pretty cringe.

I liked the art style in the mech farmers one.

I'm watching Soul Sucker as we speak and...it's killing me. I like the animation style, I enjoy that kind of set-up, I'm
amused by cats,
but holy hell the dialogue, the jokes. It's like I'm reading my Wildstorm comic collection from the '90s.

It's actually more than just a fight. It's a solid story and at least deserves a watch.

If you guys think it's worth a finish, I'll see it to the end, but did the dialogue/paint by numbers stereotypes not annoy you at all (in the first half(?))? Maybe it's building to the ending for some better use, but even the low hanging pussy joke in Soul Sucker didn't irritate me as much as this short.

Here's a making-of of another animation made by the director, which he made precisely to refute rotoscoping claims.
http://www.albertomielgo.com/-making-of
I don't know what to think. Either they are absolute geniuses, or all lying through their teeth, lol.

So then it was all CG? That is what I'd heard, but I could totally see Eso's take on it because it was just that real-looking. The way he went up the stairs was uncanny. I could feel the weight on his hips, the way his jacket slithered about... Crazy.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
So then it was all CG? That is what I'd heard, but I could totally see Eso's take on it because it was just that real-looking. The way he went up the stairs was uncanny. I could feel the weight on his hips, the way his jacket slithered about... Crazy.
And a hand key framed CG at that...
Note also that there's something like four people in the credits credited with cloth simulation. Why would they need that if it was rotoscoped?

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017

Wait, they claim it's hand drawn and animated ?
No mocap and no rotoscoping on top of that ?
Just using CG to interpolate between hand drawn keyframes if I understand correctly ?

No, sorry.
Granted I watched it on my mobile but I will NEVER believe those claims. I'm actually pretty sure its real footage, prosthetics, CG effects, heavy retouching and a couple details drawn on top (some are even painted on the actors themselves).
The only part where something looks off is when she gets off the taxi and they both run up the stairs to the club, so maybe that.
Otherwise it's real / hyperreal stuff

Last edited:

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, they claim it's hand drawn and animated ?
No mocap and no rotoscoping on top of that ?
Just using CG to interpolate between hand drawn keyframes if I understand correctly ?

No, sorry.
Granted I watched it on my mobile but I will NEVER believe those claims. I'm actually pretty sure its real footage, prosthetics, CG effects, heavy retouching and a couple details drawn on top (some are even painted on the actors themselves).
There's just no way in hell anyone would nail those lighting changes, reflections (even on her leather pants! Glasses etc) even on a single static image, let alone with such smooth and absolutely perfect and consistent animation in every minuscule detail, from clothes to jiggly physics.
The only part where something looks off is when she gets off the taxi and they both run up the stairs to the club, so maybe that.
Otherwise it's real / hyperreal stuff
I believe they claim it's 3D software rendering, bu the animation is hand key-framed in Maya. No Mocap and no rotoscoping. Basically like what Pixar is doing.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I believe they claim it's 3D software rendering, bu the animation is hand key-framed in Maya. No Mocap and no rotoscoping. Basically like what Pixar is doing.

AHH, ok, silly me.

I still don't believe it.
Sure, *parts* of it are 3d rendered, no doubt. Backdrops especially, and the actors in a couple instances where they do look somewhat off (her getting dressed after the club scene).

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Wha? I watched Witness close up on a iPad and it didn't look anything like live people in makeup. It also has moments (running down stairs was one) where it looks more like animation than live action rotoscoped.