• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
huh it seems like it sets people up in a randomized play list since everybody has different episodes they've seen first and the rest

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Have seen spiderverse on imax and really appreciated its animation, the witness is different, more fluidity, would like to see more of it, hopefully in the near future
Spiderverse doesn't look as fluid because they did a few frame tricks with movement, didn't really use motion blur, etc.

Don't have the link on hand, but there's a yt vid that discusses what they do and why.

And yeah, some of the shorts were duds. But overall would love to see the series continue. And some episodes expanded into movies or short series.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got done watching all the shorts. I need to sleep and think it through before I give any in-depth opinion.

Sonnie's Edge is hands down my favorite. That Monster versus Monster control by humans triggered the fuck out of my imagination. What I wouldn't give to have a fleshed our full season of this universe.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. I've completely missed this, but it looks like it could be fun. Might check it out tonight!

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I must have gotten all the trashy T&A first because I was mostly thinking wow you get to make a dream animation short and this is all you can come up with? The stories got better as they went along though.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Is the team that did Good hunting available for commissions?
owo
Wasn't a fan of the plot of that, but high budget 2D furry animation = OwO
Actually never mind this is really cool and also the anti-colonialism stuff is cool.

Last edited:

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea about this, just saw a trailer on Netflix last night and decided to try it out. The animation, art styles and graphics are so damn good.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
Watched about half of these last night and they were well worth a watch. Less bothered about the animated boobs that kept being thrown in for almost no reason, but, OK whatever.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I must have gotten all the trashy T&A first because I was mostly thinking wow you get to make a dream animation short and this is all you can come up with? The stories got better as they went along though.

Yeah a lot of the shorts felt like they were written by edgy teen boys. But the art in all of them were amazing. Zima Blue being the stand out for me.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I think the reason Zima Blue is the highlight is because it feels like a story that is complete and doesn't drag on too long or feel too short for character development. I agree with a lot of the thread that there's some stuff that would make good series material here, but that's partially because a lot of them feel like pilot episodes for shows that never got made.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll try this tonight. I really want it to be good, but that trailer looked like it was trying way too hard to be edgy.

Seems like it's getting pretty reasonable reviews.

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
Halfway done, I'll finish them and rank them later today.
Thus far "Beyond the Aquila Rift" is my #1.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Watched about half of them and am quite enjoying it all. There are a lot of really talented creators involved in this.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished it. I'll agree that story-wise most of them aren't too special, but many of them look just incredible. My favorites were probably The Witness for its visuals, Good Hunting for how it managed to actually surprise me with its steampunk stuff and Zima Blue for actually being a nice, little complete story that actually made me feel something.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Just finished it. I'll agree that story-wise most of them aren't too special, but many of them look just incredible. My favorites were probably The Witness for its visuals, Good Hunting for how it managed to actually surprise me with its steampunk stuff and Zima Blue for actually being a nice, little complete story that actually made me feel something.
Good Hunting was maybe the only big twist that I really liked. The setting was really cool.
Anti-colonialist steampunk with rapist colonisers getting murdered is really cool.

Beyond the Aquila Rift's twist kinda ruined it for me, though it did kinda contextually justify how ridiculous that sex scene was.

Cycas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Only had time to watch Sonnie's Edge but wow that was really good, pleasantly surprised! If the rest are within this quality bracket then LD+R is a big winner for me.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I liked them all. Hard not to when they all feel like some really talented and creative people were able to do what the fuck they wanted. Zima Blue is by far the best though. I desperately hope this series becomes a Netflix mainstay.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Sonnie's Edge was CRAZY awesome, wow.

Three Robots was neat, a little on the nose though. But still great visuals.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Witness had me questioning is it animation or live acition with post.
Softbody physics, cloth simulation, I just can't tell anymore.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Sonnie's Edge felt like an alternate Dishonored story or something. Even the character models looked just like Dishonored. Pretty cool stuff.
In the characters' faces I totally see it, but in terms of world it felt ten times more Deus Ex Eidos-era to me with the opening shot of a golden futuristic city and a story that is pretty literally transhumanist. Shit, maybe both are influences! Us seeing those related things in it would be rather coincidental.

Last edited:

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Anthology works are of course, by their very nature, inconsistent. I think the majority of these shorts aren't very good (with some being pretty bad) but I still like the idea of this project overall and I hope we can see more projects like this in the future.

I think the only one's I'd recommend are "Good Hunting" and "Zima Blue". Those two feel like complete stories in themselves and they both look great.

OP
OP
Kinthey

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The visuals in "The witness" are amazing. I don't know if it's the camera or the animation but it almost feels rotoscoped

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would bet good dollars that that Werewolf one was a "failed" movie pitch by Miller.
I think these "short films" are a good way for them to get founding for some ideas that they can then later
develop into something. Or a way of saying goodbye to something that never got traction.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of a like a modern Heavy Metal minus the framing narrative.

That's kind of what it is isn't it? Heavy Metal has been a passion project for Fincher for years.

I feel kind of the same. I really like The Witness' Hong Kong aesthetic but some of it is also random and off putting and not particularly great for attracting people not already into the medium.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
If you must compare Beyond The Aquila Rift to an anime then a better reference would be Magnetic Rose which was directed by Kōji Morimoto and written by Satoshi Kon.

Of course, I sincerely doubt its "copying" either of these works. The basic story idea goes back thousands of years and is a variant of the siren myth. The idea of getting lost on a long sailing voyage and encountering some otherworldly entity is a very old one.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
I binge watched the whole season last night and my favourite shorts are Sonnie's Edge, Three Robots, The Witness, Beyond the Aquila Rift, Lucky 13 and Zima Blue. I'm not too keen on Suits, Fish Night and Ice Age, but they were adequate for one watch.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I does bug me the some of the Chinese signage in The Witness is mirrored or the wrong way round. The street scenes are pretty straight forward and based on photos I guess. I think of the Whampoa Gardens, Kowloon Walled City and the Yick Cheong Building thats been used in movies many times.

1.jpg

Whampao Gardens

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could see some of them becoming full adaptation.