• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It's just wild to me that the people who propose legislation like this, they aren't mystical beings, they are flesh and blood human beings that go out to restaurants, go grocery shopping, they live relatively unaffected lives. There is something seriously wrong when someone knows they can do shit like this and still live a normal life and not constantly have it follow them. Hell I get concerned if I forget to say hello to someone that they might be upset with me.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
There's no gaming the system from our angle. Gaming the system is only possible for the people putting the system in place.

There we go! It might be late and a bit misguided but this is/was the correct energy. Just need to direct it at obstructionists and republicans instead of the beat down masses that would say "both sides are the same" through their desperation/frustration.
Don't worry. I'm not a violent guy.

Just feels good to say it and get it out at times like this.

Its easy to get frustrated.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Louisiana? Any word on whether the Democratic governor will sign it? I know he's a pro-life nut job.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Louisiana (along with Mississippi) is rightfully considered one of the two worst states in the Union - maybe they should be focusing on how to be a less shitty state to live in than on focusing on this sort of bullshit.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Edwards is pro-life, but he's also not an absolute monster. (Plus he seems to understand the Constitution a lot better than most legislators.) My hunch is he'll veto it.

Sadly he's been vetoing a lot of the shitty bills and then they override it. Hopefully enough Dems don't cross the aisle to allow it for this bill, if it passes.

Oct 30, 2017
To my understanding, "stand your ground" only is applicable if the perceived threat from the person you kill is a deliberate action. This would be hard to argue for an unborn child; the threat to the mother's life does not stem from a threatening action of the unborn child. So, I would say no (perceived) attack - no applicability of stand your ground.

Ah, okay. Thank you. So it would need to be perceived as deliberate, then.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
It's just wild to me that the people who propose legislation like this, they aren't mystical beings, they are flesh and blood human beings that go out to restaurants, go grocery shopping, they live relatively unaffected lives. There is something seriously wrong when someone knows they can do shit like this and still live a normal life and not constantly have it follow them. Hell I get concerned if I forget to say hello to someone that they might be upset with me.

I don't see these fuckers as people anymore. I just fucking can't. Not when they take every single fucking opportunity to spit on the basic notion of human decency.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't see these fuckers as people anymore. I just fucking can't. Not when they take every single fucking opportunity to spit on the basic notion of human decency.
Yeah it's understandable, I do think though that if we don't view them as humans we lose sight of how piddling they really are at the end of the day. There's like this veil of civility and decency they operate with, because they are "elected officials" some people just write them off as untouchable deities or whatever. They will probably get upset at people protesting outside of their home, or being told they are a piece of shit while out grocery shopping with their families, eventually having their time disrupted would get to them. Having to wonder "should I even go anywhere because I don't want to deal with this" would probably get to them over time.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
To my understanding, "stand your ground" only is applicable if the perceived threat from the person you kill is a deliberate action. This would be hard to argue for an unborn child; the threat to the mother's life does not stem from a threatening action of the unborn child. So, I would say no (perceived) attack - no applicability of stand your ground.
Holy shit do I hate that this is even a valid conversation to be having in 2022.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
LA Dems have been reaching across the aisle to override his vetoes?

The previous abortion restriction bill was co-sponsored by Katrina Jackson, an anti-choice, pro-criminal justice, anti-death penalty, pro-welfare African American female Democratic legislator (https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2019/06/10/louisiana-abortion-bill-katrina-jackson).

That's why I think the "it's all white males" arguments being pushed into this thread fall kind of false, because there's no evidence of wildly more support for abortion rights among women than men, or even among various minority groups. In general, minority groups are actually closer to the median of the country, as opposed to either white liberals or white conservatives, who make up the support for most of the either no restrictions or total restrictions side of polling.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The previous abortion restriction bill was co-sponsored by Katrina Jackson, an anti-choice, pro-criminal justice, anti-death penalty, pro-welfare African American female Democratic legislator (https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2019/06/10/louisiana-abortion-bill-katrina-jackson).

That's why I think the "it's all white males" arguments being pushed into this thread fall kind of false, because there's no evidence of wildly more support for abortion rights among women than men, or even among various minority groups. In general, minority groups are actually closer to the median of the country, as opposed to either white liberals or white conservatives, who make up the support for most of the either no restrictions or total restrictions side of polling.
Sure there are conservative minorities. But minorities in general make up a much smaller percent of the total voting population. It is nearly exclusively white conservative males and females that have enacted some of the most heinous damage on this country and destruction of basic human rights and they should continue to bare the brunt of people's ire.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Remember the people who told us for the past 6 years that we were overreacting?

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously there can be no legislation ever restricting the use of the penis... because that would be barbaric.

I said to my wife that a state should pass a law that says if a man gets a woman pregnant and she dies due to any complications and couldn't get an abortion he should be charged with murder and face the sentence that comes from that, because the moment such a law was put in place then these same fucks would be losing their collective shit at the idea. It really is fucking ridiculous how backwards huge parts of the usa are and I'm so glad my wife doesn't have to deal with the GOP shit anymore because she moved here instead of me moving there.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I guess Margaret Atwood was the author who guessed right about what americas actual apocalypse would look like.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
Are they gonna prosecute the mother's family after she dies and can't take the baby to term?
No, but if she gets diarrhea from eating out and that leads to miscarriage it could be grounds for the charge of manslaughter, she didn't intend for her actions to kill her fetus, but they did, indirectly, and courts could decide that is enough for conviction.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
You assume States care about such things. The problem in the USA right now is some lawmakers are ignoring laws because know their judges will rule in favor of them despite settled laws.
Yes I would assume that, because if they don't Republicans should maybe reconsider their use of the term rogue state.

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Because people didn't take that Trump run seriously. They have a much better blueprint on how to manipulate and sell people on BS. They've always had it, but Trump added the missing components of credibility and courage. His run and RBG not stepping down will be felt for decades.
Very true, especially on the RBG portion. She had an amazing career, but had she stepped down at a more modest time frame for her age, we'd be in a far better situation.

Gov Edwards pledges to veto
Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
www.theadvocate.com

John Bel Edwards call anti-abortion bill to prosecute women 'patently unconstitutional'

Gov. John Bel Edwards noted Wednesday he has consistently supported anti-abortion legislation, but said he opposes a controversial bill that would authorization prosecuting women who terminate their pregnancies.

Gov. John Bel Edwards noted Wednesday he has consistently supported anti-abortion legislation but said he opposes a controversial bill that would authorize prosecuting women who terminate their pregnancies.

"It's self-styled as a pro-Life bill, but in my opinion, it moves in the wrong direction," Edwards told the Baton Rouge Rotary Club.

Edwards called the bill "patently unconstitutional" and said it would make illegal the use of certain kinds of contraceptions. He pledged he would veto it if it reached his desk.

"There is a much better way to do this," the governor said.