• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I dont understand the the point of this part. Would it be ok if those jokes were funny? Would it still be not ok?

Are comedians supposed to check with every single audience members what their personal tragedies are?
The point is that not only are his offensive jokes unfunny and offensive with and without the context of his real life sexual misconduct, they are also clearly unresearched and rooted in nonsense. The point is to show that it's not just "snowflakes" (read: people with moral fiber) who disliked his routine. It's very generically offensive and just kinda shit. Also, going after mentally disabled kids in jokes is such a tired and lazy case of punching down that it would be terribly boring if it weren't so fucking insulting and ableist. Humor doesn't absolve an offensive joke of being offensive, nor does it make punching down worthwhile over punching up.

Oct 27, 2017
How is it mansplaining if he is just explaining his view on comedy to a crowd, only because there are women in the room?

Transcribed jokes are never really funny so I can't really judge if these jokes are actually bad, I guess that's what this thread is about? Pretty funny they are paying someone to follow Louie around to transcribe all his sets though.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is it mansplaining if he is just explaining his view on comedy to a crowd, only because there are women in the room?

Transcribed jokes are never really funny so I can't really judge if these jokes are actually bad, I guess that's what this thread is about? Pretty funny they are paying someone to follow Louie around to transcribe all his sets though.
Comedian is accused of rape
Comedian goes on stage a few months later
"I like sex. I don't like being told no"
The crowd erupts in laughter.

But hey, you'd have to see it in person to understand why it's funny !

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's also historically been used as a tool to talk about taboo subjects and address social injustices in a disarming manner. Court jesters would often make fun of the royalty.
But Louis isn't talking about social injustices, unless you think Parkland kids talking about guns or women coming forward to talk about being sexually assaulted by Louis is an injustice.

Comedians really need to stop thinking they are speaking truth to power just because they are saying edgy shit. The amount who actually do that is not that high, and the amount of white male comedians who do it is vanishingly small. And not all taboos are created equal. Punching down, talking shit about marginalized groups who don't have the platform you do, that's not taboo. That's just being an un-self-aware ass.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Why do we even need Louis CK in comedy if his entire set is just shit you coulda read off 4chan for free? Like people say he's important but right now his entire shtick is 9/11 and attack helicopter jokes and "oh no I can't say that lol" and oh man is it fuckin boring. Even completely detached from the fact he's a creepy sex pest and owning it

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
i9duNN8.png

Bold strategy.

God, I wish he'd just fuck off forever. He's not adding anything of value.
Goddamn, I got a good laugh from that custom emoji but agreed.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And his Netflix show is basically that, "I'm just a guy who through no fault of my own ended up with this wife and family and now I am forced to deal with their bullshit." It's just a show about a guy who loathes his life and makes everyone in his family unhappy. And this is in the 70's, Burr's golden age. So is this how he thinks men should be? Hateful pieces of shit who dream only of escaping their families so they can binge drink in lawn chairs in their driveway? Is that peak manhood?

Hate to break it to you, but young people were forced out of their homes/educations/jobs/whatever in the draft, sent over seas, came back from Korea/Vietnam with extreme PTSD and substance abuse problems and no way to make their lives better, realizing that the American Dream was a lie. That's what the show is about.

If you didn't grow up in that environment then good.

I don't follow him or watch him. Just seen the show. So I don't know if he particularly endorses that life style. Hard to think anyone would though.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
But Louis isn't talking about social injustices, unless you think Parkland kids talking about guns or women coming forward to talk about being sexually assaulted by Louis is an injustice.

Comedians really need to stop thinking they are speaking truth to power just because they are saying edgy shit. The amount who actually do that is not that high, and the amount of white male comedians who do it is vanishingly small. And not all taboos are created equal. Punching down, talking shit about marginalized groups who don't have the platform you do, that's not taboo. That's just being an un-self-aware ass.

Yes I'm aware of that, I wasn't implying that Louis was talking truth to power, just responding to the comment that I quoted, which came across as naive.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Why do we even need Louis CK in comedy if his entire set is just shit you coulda read off 4chan for free? Like people say he's important but right now his entire shtick is 9/11 and attack helicopter jokes and "oh no I can't say that lol" and oh man is it fuckin boring. Even completely detached from the fact he's a creepy sex pest and owning it

Who is "we"?

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I get needing to workshop your set. I'm not even in the group of people who thinks he should never work again. But man, the only reason his offensive stuff worked in the past is cuz he had that winking "heart of gold" implication with it that is pretty much gone.

which is strange considering how many stories of him being a creep were out there, long before people started to care. I remember a very vehement defense force on other sites.

It didn't stop me from enjoying his sets and loving his FX show but it was never not in the back of my mind.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I'm of both sides of the coin. I think it's fine for him to try to go back out there and do his thing, if people want to pay to see it or whatever then fine. But I also think the consequences are fine i.e. people recording it or overanalyzing every joke even if he is workshopping, and finally, angry people on the internet.

If people are free to pay and see the show and enjoy then people are free to react to his actions however they want as long as they are non criminal. Though recording his show might be criminal, no idea.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I'm sick of this guy. Not even too surprised at how bad the joke was since he lowkey fell off before the jerking off debacle.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I laughed at the joke in the thread title, guess I'm a horrible person now.
Yeah, you are, just like all the other "edgy" people who laughed at it knowing it was a real thing that happened to unwilling participants and letting a sexual predator know that it's okay to be a sexual predator. Do you want a prize?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't have put it quite how he did, but he's not wrong in terms of its social 'function'.

It's also historically been used as a tool to talk about taboo subjects and address social injustices in a disarming manner. Court jesters would often make fun of the royalty.

If he just wants to take about taboo subjects he can go to Hyde park.

Making fun of royalty is punching upwards. There's nothing funny in what he's doing and there's no social justice either.

A comedian can play an asshole on stage, not actually be one.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing other members
Yeah, you are, just like all the other "edgy" people who laughed at it knowing it was a real thing that happened to unwilling participants and letting a sexual predator know that it's okay to be a sexual predator. Do you want a prize?
Depends on the prize I guess.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Making fun of royalty is punching upwards. There's nothing funny in what he's doing and there's no social justice either.

Point is, from my fairly limited reading around the subject, what he said about comedy is, in the very broadest sense, correct; it's not just about being entertaining.

A comedian can play an asshole on stage, not actually be one.

Anyone can be an asshole, unfortunately. I've no doubt that assholes are disproportionately represented in comedy too.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I literally said nothing about this. Please stop with the strawman crap, thanks.

Well, you do go on this whole tangent about how you can disagree with some jokes and still laugh at them. Unless that's in some way relevant for the topic at hand (LCK joking about his assaults), you're mentioning it here why precisely?

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Like dude jack off all you want in front of people after asking them for permission. This isn't fucking hard.

I sometimes do wonder if he realises why he got in trouble in the first place.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Dudes gonna be on Dave Rubin any day now. Bari Weiss is getting ready to welcome him into the intellectual dark web.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Like dude jack off all you want in front of people after asking them for permission. This isn't fucking hard.

Actually i think he did lol, but that's not better in some context!
Anyway Louis is capitalizing on his heel turn badly i see...

Let's also remind people that Louis "bragged" about his behavior many times in the past, except we didn't know it was actually true! Really if you see some of his old stuff, tv show etc.. it's crazy the number of time you're like.. "ho i see now.. " Knowing the guy there are lots of things that just seem wrong now.

That Lucky Louie show (that is actually amazingly written i think...), is fuulll of weird stuff, extremely sexual, having a barely legal emma stone wanting to suck his cock etc lol.. Also a full episode of him having intercourse with Pamela Adlon, and showing briefly his genitalia without any reason. I mean, knowing the guy.. it's like he was basically using tv to play with all his fetiches.

He's going to be in way more trouble when some of the sexual jokes with kids (in one episode of Better Things he wrote i think) are exposed!

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Point is, from my fairly limited reading around the subject, what he said about comedy is, in the very broadest sense, correct; it's not just about being entertaining.

I don't disagree, I'm just saying they're not mutually exclusive. His primary goal is to entertain, if he can do that while talking about taboo stuff then more power to him.

People pay money to be entertained and to laugh.

There's nothing funny about a white comic of privilege complaining he can't be a shit head to people of less privilege.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
You can have both of those things, champ. You just gotta ask and get consent first.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Actually i think he did lol, but that's not better in some context!
Anyway Louis is capitalizing on his heel turn badly i see...

Let's also remind people that Louis "bragged" about his behavior many times in the past, except we didn't know it was actually true! Really if you see some of his old stuff, tv show etc.. it's crazy the number of time you're like.. "ho i see now.. " Knowing the guy there are lots of things that just seem wrong now.

He did, but it was clear he was in a position of power in that moment and it was not what you might call "enthusiastic consent"...

Either way, I'd be interested to know what some of his material was way back that he'd work on in comedy clubs. His finished products, funny as they may be to me, were still generally considered dark humor. Does it just feel "sloppy" to me because he's testing things out? Or is he truly just in a downward spiral and comedically bankrupt now? Try as he might, I don't think he's going to have much luck fashioning his recent past into joke material. "Edgy" shit obviously doesn't seem to work, either.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, you do go on this whole tangent about how you can disagree with some jokes and still laugh at them. Unless that's in some way relevant for the topic at hand (LCK joking about his assaults), you're mentioning it here why precisely?
Because of the quote in the article:
"The whole point of comedy is to say things that you shouldn't say. That's the entire point," he said.

I think that's true to an extent. Maybe not that it's the whole point, but that the greats have all done that. I don't think comedy needs to be held accountable to be true or fair or right to be funny. And in fact most comedy falls apart when held to this sort of account.

That doesn't mean everything a comedian does or says is okay, but I agree with the general sentiment of that sentence.

Last edited:

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Burr is an idiot himself. He was on Conan's podcast a few weeks ago and went off on a tirade of the most stereotypical, insecure "why can't men be men anymore, real masculinity is being made illegal" retrograde shit. He sounded like a fucking moron.

I used to love listening to his podcast until it became nothing more than those types of bad takes. They weren't even funny and it felt more like an old man yelling at stuff than comedy. I would say it's a generational thing but man, is he an idiot more now than ever.

Probably means EtcetEra is where humour goes to die.

This thread, you have people taking a comedian's on stage bit as biographical indictable offence, people in "Think of the children"-mode, satire blind, Post #174, #183 etc.

By Louie pre-FX standards, the new material isn't different, he was always foul and shock humour based, 2010 on-wards gave people selective memory because he liked cinematography and smooth jazz. Then the wankery scandal stuff happened, huge shitstorm, he addressed it/apologised outside of his act and returned to work, probably too quickly but it would stick with him regardless.

Some people are still going to see him for comedy reasons™ despite the scandal,. Some people don't like him anymore which is obviously justified, so you get the "look at that bitch eating crackers" crowd who want him exiled for eternity.

His new material is hackneyed and scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Crude introspective humor has always been hit or miss depending on the comedian. Him being outed as being a fucking creep/dirtbag only adds to the negative reaction of him essentially saying, "fuck it, i'm going all in."

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018
I dont understand the the point of this part. Would it be ok if those jokes were funny? Would it still be not ok?

Are comedians supposed to check with every single audience members what their personal tragedies are?

You didn't get a "Are you Okay With?" survey before the show at the last stand up you went to? That comedian should be shot.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, someone has the courage to call out sexual harassment victims had have had their careers stunted to keep them silent as well as high school shooting victims.

You can dance around it, but it's pretty clear why this isn't funny; it's just abuse being labelled as comedy.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree, I'm just saying they're not mutually exclusive.

That's not really what you originally wrote, but okay; I can't disagree with that.

="Kernel, post: 16992834, member: 6558"]There's nothing funny about a white comic of privilege complaining he can't be a shit head to people of less privilege.

Certainly isn't, but unfortunately there is a market for it. :/

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he used to do jokes on how crazy it was to hit your kids since they were so little and defenceless and how white people could happily use time machines because they've been privileged for so long throughout history.

The whole thrust of his mockery went from upwards punching to downwards punching after his fall.
Hmm, that's a good point I hadn't thought of. I mean, nowadays I know he's a creep, but I hadn't noticed that shift in his "jokes". He's turned into like Bizarro Louis or something. Not a great choice for him, lol.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Hate to break it to you, but young people were forced out of their homes/educations/jobs/whatever in the draft, sent over seas, came back from Korea/Vietnam with extreme PTSD and substance abuse problems and no way to make their lives better, realizing that the American Dream was a lie. That's what the show is about.

If you didn't grow up in that environment then good.

I don't follow him or watch him. Just seen the show. So I don't know if he particularly endorses that life style. Hard to think anyone would though.
Yeah, I know. The show doesn't make him a sympathetic character at all though.

DJGolfClap

Avenger
Apr 28, 2018
Vancouver
Louis CK: *masturbates in front of women without consent*
Women: that's not cool
YouTube Comments Section: SJWs HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOUR

Louis CK: *masturbation joke*
YouTube Comments Section: ahhhhh truly comedian of the century, what an incredible gift we've been given *chef's kiss*

Oct 25, 2017
There's something funny about missing a reference plus still being completely off-base with a equation.

I understand the reference. You're misusing the meme. Bitch eating crackers means that a person hates someone regardless of how innocuous their behavior is. Louis C.K. is disliked for things that are anything but innocuous.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
User banned (1 week): dismissing sexual harassment

To be fair, as per the NYT article, he always did ask permission. Nobody said no. The issue is the power dynamics that were at play where these women may have felt obligated to comply. Not that it makes what happened alright, but it's a different issue.

Back on topic, I was hoping Louis would begin addressing this stuff in his act, but not like this.

Louis CK's ongoing comeback tour, ca. 2020:

384149.gif

This is probably not far off.

Oct 28, 2017
It's so bizarre how he went from being this funny self-deprecating guy to a complete shithead. I guess he was always an undercover shithead though.