• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
This really doesn't seem that far away from the material CK was known for in the first place. Not my cup of tea, but it just seems weird that everyone's jumping his shit for the same kind of routine he's pulled throughout his entire career.

This one seems far worse to me than whatever he said recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF1NUposXVQ

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're acting like Louis has never done edgy comedy before and doesn't know how to do it.

He knows how to do it. He's written entire sets in a year and then scrapped them entirely and workshops new shit. He knows what he's doing when he makes dumb jokes about his real sexual predator behavior.

The jokes didn't change. He hasn't changed. What changed was the information his audience now knows about him, and the fact that he still hasn't changed, doesn't know how to properly address it, and seemingly wants to workshop new "edgy" jokes before addressing it.

And what exactly is he workshopping with these jokes about his own sexual predator behavior: "hey you think I can get away with just joking about it? Let's find out!", you really think that's something he should be "trying out"?

Unless he has masturbated in front of more women than he has changed. And while not condoning it that has been CK"s whole schtick from the beginning. He's gotten away with saying the N word, calling gay people the F word etc so this is nothing new.

Deleted member 25445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User banned (1 month): mocking and antagonizing other members for criticizing a sexual abuser + history of severe infractions
This man would have faded into existence in my mind if it wasn't for the site, and I used to love him.

Anyway, I'm just gonna say that there are a bunch of fucking grandma's on this forum.

Oct 29, 2017
I agree that he's actively testing out the waters to see if he can be a complete asshole about it.

I don't think his behavior is ok if the audience let's him do it.

I'm saying that he's going to continue to do it until you hit him in the pockets. Clearly he doesn't actually feel bad, he just doesn't want this situation to fuck up his money.

Fair enough. Unfortunately as a former fan I can't control what the rest of his audience does so the only thing I can really do is continue to disapprove his shitty behavior.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Hmm. He's going for shock value, falling back on the old "It's just a joke, man", but it makes it sound like he's trying to justify that everything he's done is ALL just a joke.
No dude. You did gross things. It's not all just a joke.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The joke about masturbating in front of someone, I get it. It would get a chuckle given his history. But he should follow that up with acknowledging he fucked up, even if he does it as a joke. Otherwise this comes off as if he has no remorse.

Also, we're gonna lambast him about a dead baby joke? I'm not a fan, but ppl have been saying those stupid jokes forever. Why are we getting upset that Louis ck did? At some points in this article it seems like the writer is reaching. I mean using the term mansplaining... Give me a fucking break.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I was disappointed in CK and stopped following him. BUT what's the point of making every shitty joke that he makes into news? I just don't get it' It's not like he didn't joke about dead babies before, or jerking off, or 9/11, or jerking off on 9/11. It's literally nothing new. What is being accomplished by giving him more publicity?

This whole trend of writing stories about various people and their opinions just to get other people pissed off has to stop. There's absolutely no value in this. It's worse than gossip.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
What a piece of shit. He's just gonna steer directly into the "anti-PC culture" crowd like a fucking coward.

Oct 27, 2017
I get needing to workshop your set. I'm not even in the group of people who thinks he should never work again. But man, the only reason his offensive stuff worked in the past is cuz he had that winking "heart of gold" implication with it that is pretty much gone.

Dude is gonna have to completely reinvent himself if he wants to keep doing stand up, because that illusion he relied on is shattered. I'm not sure he's necessarily up for it.
Yeah, part of his appeal was that he was a regular, good hearted dude who voiced the shitty, petty, and selfish thoughts people have, but dont act on. The audience could project on him all their insecurities of not living up to our own moral standards.

Now...its like some kind of career suicide as performance art.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
This shit's not even good shock humor. It's just not funny, it's hurtful, and he shows zero remorse about what he's done. In fact he seems to celebrate it.

I used to respect the shit out of this guy, I feel so gross about it now. I say this as a big dirty pervert myself, this is one of the fucking grossest humans around.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Stupid dude could've just waited a few years and been ok. Couldn't even wait a single year and then cements the fact that he'll be stuck as a hated comedian.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a certain extent to which it's true that every truly great comedian has said fucked up shit that I disagree with. Bill Hicks said everyone who works in marketing should kill themselves. I'm a copywriter but I find that bit hilarious. Carlin, Pryor, Bruce, Patrice Oneal, all the funniest guys on stage were always troubled and always said things I'd disagree with. A lot of that might be exagerrated for comedic effect, but some of it probably comes from a perspective I'd genuinely disagree with, too. But I'm able to laugh and disagree at the same time.

All that said, the issue people have with Louie is less about what he said on stage than what he did off. That's fair, I suppose.

Stupid dude could've just waited a few years and been ok. Couldn't even wait a single year and then cements the fact that he'll be stuck as a hated comedian.
He probably needs the money. He got pretty wiped out and had a good bit of debt, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's just trying to keep up with his mortgage.

Choco Momonga

May 24, 2018
George Carlin always talked about punching up, never punching down, which is why he always went after crooks in government or abortion protesters. Anyone can enjoy whatever they want, but there's more skill in going after people who can defend themselves like the rich or people in power.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thankful I've never watched a comedian in my life, these people can keep their "dark and edgy" humor and crude "jokes" I find nothing funny in the slightest about making sexist, phobic, racist, etc... "jokes" if that's what passes as "humor" to many people then I'm glad I have no interest in it at all or American "comedy" as a whole.

None of the above even touches the fact that this Louis person is a disgusting human being who should be behind bars for what he forced on women... bleh

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This feels like what a comedian in, like, 2003 would think is edgy.

Ooh, 9/11 jokes! Ooh, dead baby jokes!

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Edgy comedy = it's fine. Let's not become church ladies over it just because of who is delivering it.

The thing about edgy comedy, is that it's gotta be delivered with nuance and a point for it to be anything but hacky. And there's been so much of it in the last decade that it truly is usually hacky now.

It'll never stop being weird to me that people who like "offensive" comedy get mad when some folks are offended by it, or point out the ways in which a specific bit is shitty (punching down), because if no one gets offended or annoyed, then it's not offensive or edgy, is it? it's just comedy at that point.

Mainstream stand up was getting pretty tedious for a while there because so much of it was "edgy" in extremely predictable, tired ways...

a great contrast is the movie Pink Flamingos. 47 years later it still manages to be genuinely shocking and transgressive and yet doesn't feel mean spirited or cheap (as in a cheap joke) in the slightest.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I had thought that this was the way to redemption for Louis; to use what he did as the basis for jokes, but I assumed he would be self-aware enough to make them at his own expense. His previous act was variations on I'm-a-sad-sack-of-shit anyway. Acknowledge and own up to it. Instead he's being defiant and unapologetic, and telling racist dick jokes, making fun of murdered children, and mocking disabled kids.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I just don't get the jumping to his defence. What is there to defend? The material isn't even good any more, and I've loved tapes of Louis working out material in the past. Take this for what this is. Louis hates himself, he hates the people who show up to his new shows, he hates the world that turned its back on him. He couldn't do anything constructive with the guilt and pain so he took the indignance route and decided to pander to right-wing lugnuts that would commiserate with him and share in his resentment.

I'd wager we are watching the overarching theme of this year becoming more apparent. 2019: the year of powerful men using their platforms to spread their mess as they self-destruct.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thankful I've never watched a comedian in my life, these people can keep their "dark and edgy" humor and crude "jokes" I find nothing funny in the slightest about making sexist, phobic, racist, etc... "jokes" if that's what passes as "humor" to many people then I'm glad I have no interest in it at all or American "comedy" as a whole.

None of the above even touches the fact that this Louis person is a disgusting human being who should be behind bars for what he forced on women... bleh

American comedy and comedians have a lot to offer besides CK.

Oct 30, 2017

John Mulaney is the king of light-hearted comedy

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I'm not even offended by the 9/11 thing; it's just not even a joke at all.

"I disembarked a plane because a guy didn't want to sit next to his wife. Then the plane crashed."
How does that constitute a joke?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The downfall of this guy is truly one of the most bewildering things I've witnessed. To go from being as respected as he once was to completely falling apart and abandoning what made his comedy great because he has decided to blame everyone else for his own actions.

He spent years working his way to the top, becoming one of the most respected comedians in the industry, only to completely throw it away.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I almost can't believe how terrible the 9/11 joke is. It's not really that offensive like a lot of the other stuff in the OP, it's just fucking terrible.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I used to think Louie was kinda funny but he's cringy at best anymore. He's a living embodiment of all of the worst things anyone would have thought of him and it's creepy.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I'm thankful I've never watched a comedian in my life, these people can keep their "dark and edgy" humor and crude "jokes"
You sound fun.

Louis... This is fucked up. Man, you need to actually reckon with this shit somehow. Like, do a tearful Barbara Walters interview. Show some thought and contrition; if you want to bring attention to that subject, do it in the right way. If all you're going to do is make a big joke out of the shit you pulled then that's basically like Cosby making that joke that "women should be careful drinking around him." I can laugh at pretty much any subject but when you actually did that shit that's like, OJ "If I Did It" levels of fucked up.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think bill burr is a bad guy, but he constantly aligns himself with fucking idiots
Burr is an idiot himself. He was on Conan's podcast a few weeks ago and went off on a tirade of the most stereotypical, insecure "why can't men be men anymore, real masculinity is being made illegal" retrograde shit. He sounded like a fucking moron.

Last edited:

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So do I but I deal with my suicidal loneliness by getting therapy and medicine not by harassing women. He is a piece of human shit.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You sound fun.

Louis... This is fucked up. Man, you need to actually reckon with this shit somehow. Like, do a tearful Barbara Walters interview. Show some thought and contrition; if you want to bring attention to that subject, do it in the right way. If all you're going to do is make a big joke out of the shit you pulled then that's basically like Cosby making that joke that "women should be careful drinking around him." I can laugh at pretty much any subject but when you actually did that shit that's like, OJ "If I Did It" levels of fucked up.
He has some horrible PR people it seems.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So fucking ask for consent you fucking creep. Or join a local masturbation group.

Maybe I like to place comedians who spontaneously start jacking off in front of unsuspecting or trapped women into running wood chippers. Not only do I not like doing this alone, it can't even be done alone! Come on down to my place Louis and help me out.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I don't think Louis will ever really recover from this (though I don't really care if he does or not, and certainly think people are valid in thinking he shouldn't) because his brand of humor is kind of contingent on him not being a shitty person.

A lot of his jokes can be boiled down to "I did a fucked up thing. It was a fucked up, harmful, dirtbag thing to do, and I shouldn't be like this," and it can work when there's just a sense of rapport between him and the audience, a sense of "yeah, that's wrong, let's do the right thing," but a lot of that charm is lost whenever we, as the audience, are instead going "Yeah, but you ARE a dirtbag."

That said, a good amount of the leaked material of his is just bad. Some of it I might be willing to chalk up to a comedian workshopping his material, but some of it has me like come on man :/. Like there is maybe some way to get some humor out of what he did if handled in a clearly self-deprecating way that makes it clear that he understands (and is telling his audience) that it was fucked up and that it shouldn't have happened to those women, but going out and instead framing it as "yeah I did it. I'm weird, okay?" is just bad in a variety of ways. It's not funny, and it's just gross to seemingly dodge the gravity of his actions.

Arozay

Oct 29, 2017
User warned: antagonizing other members with insensitive remarks
Expand on this please
Probably means EtcetEra is where humour goes to die.

This thread, you have people taking a comedian's on stage bit as biographical indictable offence, people in "Think of the children"-mode, satire blind, Post #174, #183 etc.

By Louie pre-FX standards, the new material isn't different, he was always foul and shock humour based, 2010 on-wards gave people selective memory because he liked cinematography and smooth jazz. Then the wankery scandal stuff happened, huge shitstorm, he addressed it/apologised outside of his act and returned to work, probably too quickly but it would stick with him regardless.

Some people are still going to see him for comedy reasons™ despite the scandal,. Some people don't like him anymore which is obviously justified, so you get the "look at that bitch eating crackers" crowd who want him exiled for eternity.

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Probably means EtcetEra is where humour goes to die.

This thread, you have people taking a comedian's on stage bit as biographical indictable offence, people in "Think of the children"-mode, Post #174, #183 etc.

By Louie pre-FX standards, the new material isn't different, he was always foul and shock humour based, 2010 on-wards gave people selective memory because he liked cinematography and smooth jazz. Then the wankery scandal stuff happened, huge shitstorm, he addressed it/apologised outside of his act and returned to work, probably too quickly but it would stick with him regardless.

Some people are still going to see him for comedy reasons™ despite the scandal,. Some people don't like him anymore which is obviously justified, so you get the "look at that bitch eating crackers" crowd who want him exiled for eternity.

maybe people just don't find his jokes funny, some people probably think a guy who sexually assaulted women and then used his influence in the industry to kill his victims' careers shouldn't be welcomed back to the industry.

Last edited: