• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Well, unlike with music, there's no rehearsal with comedy.

Comedians have to go up on stage to a paying audience to try out new material. They add new pieces to their jokes to try to get the most laughs out of them.

If the jokes don't get laughs, they get the axe and the comedian has to come up with new stuff to fill the void.

Posting an entire joke in an article (whether people like it or not) spoils it for people who haven't had the chance to see the comedian.
Oh, so you really were defending these "jokes"

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
What a great audience he has, laughing at such an horrendous joke. Well, just buying the ticket is already a good indication that they don't really care about it...

Yeah, I am sure they see it as subversive act to support a persona non grata, and were thrilled when he went there.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017

Comedians have to go up on stage to a paying audience to try out new material. They add new pieces to their jokes to try to get the most laughs out of them.

If the jokes don't get laughs, they get the axe and the comedian has to come up with new stuff to fill the void.

Posting an entire joke in an article (whether people like it or not) spoils it for people who haven't had the chance to see the comedian.

Really? Sure, some things require polish, but that 9/11 joke isn't unpolished. It's just bad. Anyone can tell you that. That's not what's going on, here. You're coming across as defending him for the most pointless of reasons.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
My first tweet wasn't a defense of Louis, it was to point out that people shouldn't post entire jokes from comedy sets in articles online.

Really? Sure, some things require polish, but that 9/11 joke isn't unpolished. It's just bad. Anyone can tell you that. That's not what's going on, here. You're coming across as defending him for the most pointless of reasons.

Ok. If it's awful, then hopefully people didn't laugh and he dumps it. It's as simple as that.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I know he is a persona non grata for his rapey behaviour, and I have no problem with people writing him off and boycotting him forever more... but I think it's weird how we're litigating comedy now and rushing to declare how offended we are over intentionally edgy dark comedy.

It's simple:

Being a sexual predator = wrong.

Edgy comedy = it's fine. Let's not become church ladies over it just because of who is delivering it.

I'm not going to his shows. But if anyone else said this, I wouldn't bat an eye.
If any other sexual predator said this, you wouldn't bat an eye?

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I can understand that. And that is the headline.

But then we go through his whole act and point out all the things that are offensive, when we wouldn't have cared 2 years ago. It's weird.

Yeah, it's almost as if his jokes about sexual assault would be only a weird attempt at edgy comedy 2 years ago, as opposed to when an actual sexual predator makes them.
C'mon, it's not that hard to understand.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I get needing to workshop your set. I'm not even in the group of people who thinks he should never work again. But man, the only reason his offensive stuff worked in the past is cuz he had that winking "heart of gold" implication with it that is pretty much gone.

Dude is gonna have to completely reinvent himself if he wants to keep doing stand up, because that illusion he relied on is shattered. I'm not sure he's necessarily up for it.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's kinda always been like this, but now the cuffs are off. difference now (like the article says) is that he doesn't bring the joke back to a self-deprecating punchline. Also, the racist stuff is more flagrant. I've always remembered him saying stuff about Black women, Mexicans, Chinese babies, but this stuff is different. It's not even fresh anymore.

He wasn't shitting on school shooting victims, trans people and referring to children with developmental disabilities with a slur, 2 years ago.

It's almost like he's become a worse person ya know

I propose that his act hasn't changed much. He used to say offensive things about people all the time. He used that exact slur in a lengthy bit during a celebrated comedy special a few years back.

Now the knives are out for this individual. Understandably so. But then we go through his act bit by bit in these articles that tell us about the bad things the bad man has said, and it makes me worry about consistency... I don't care about Louis CK, but if someone else were to make these jokes, I wouldn't consider this a societal wrong to be making jokes that offend.

Yeah, black edgy offensive comedy is offensive to someone. So are we against all dark offensive comedy now? Or are we against the sexual predator making dark comedy? If it's the latter I totally understand (some in this thread have responded to me with this point, and I get it). If it's the former, It makes me uncomfortable that the fall of a predator is being used to take down black comedy as a whole.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I propose that his act hasn't changed much. He used to say offensive things about people all the time. He used that exact slur in a lengthy bit during a celebrated comedy special a few years back.

Now the knives are out for this individual. Understandably so. But then we go through his act bit by bit in these articles that tell us about the bad things the bad man has said, and it makes me worry about consistency... I don't care about Louis CK, but if someone else were to make these jokes, I wouldn't consider this a societal wrong to be making jokes that offend.

Yeah, black edgy offensive comedy is offensive to someone. So are we against all dark offensive comedy now? Or are we against the sexual predator making dark comedy? If it's the latter I totally understand. If it's the former, It makes me uncomfortable that the fall of a predator is being used to take down black comedy as a whole.

Shit on trans folk and other minorities and you can get fucked. Period.

That's not dark humour or black comedy it's just being an asshole and a shitty human being.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, black edgy offensive comedy is offensive to someone. So are we against all dark offensive comedy now? Or are we against the sexual predator making dark comedy? If it's the latter I totally understand (some in this thread have responded to me with this point, and I get it). If it's the former, It makes me uncomfortable that the fall of a predator is being used to take down black comedy as a whole.
Making jokes about minorities is not funny and never has been funny to anyone with two brain cells to rub together, so yeah, I wouldn't be sad if """"dark edgy humor"""" died.

Oct 29, 2017

You're acting like Louis has never done edgy comedy before and doesn't know how to do it.

He knows how to do it. He's written entire sets in a year and then scrapped them entirely and workshops new shit. He knows what he's doing when he makes dumb jokes about his real sexual predator behavior.

The jokes didn't change. He hasn't changed. What changed was the information his audience now knows about him, and the fact that he still hasn't changed, doesn't know how to properly address it, and seemingly wants to workshop new "edgy" jokes before addressing it.

And what exactly is he workshopping with these jokes about his own sexual predator behavior: "hey you think I can get away with just joking about it? Let's find out!", you really think that's something he should be "trying out"?

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know he is a persona non grata for his rapey behaviour, and I have no problem with people writing him off and boycotting him forever more... but I think it's weird how we're litigating comedy now and rushing to declare how offended we are over intentionally edgy dark comedy.

It's simple:

Being a sexual predator = wrong.

Edgy comedy = it's fine. Let's not become church ladies over it just because of who is delivering it.

I'm not going to his shows. But if anyone else said this, I wouldn't bat an eye.
It's almost as if context is everything.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Thread-whining.
Are we seriously going to get articles every fucking time Louis C.K. does a set at a comedy club?

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
somebody on twitter said he would joke about being a sex creep because he always did that in some way. but he can't joke about being a rich career-ruining bully.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get needing to workshop your set. I'm not even in the group of people who thinks he should never work again. But man, the only reason his offensive stuff worked in the past is cuz he had that winking "heart of gold" implication with it that is pretty much gone.

Dude is gonna have to completely reinvent himself if he wants to keep doing stand up, because that illusion he relied on is shattered. I'm not sure he's necessarily up for it.

đź’Ż

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
You're acting like Louis has never done edgy comedy before and doesn't know how to do it.

He knows how to do it. He's written entire sets in a year and then scrapped them entirely and workshops new shit. He knows what he's doing when he makes dumb jokes about his real sexual predator behavior.

The jokes didn't change. He hasn't changed. What changed was the information his audience now knows about him, and the fact that he still hasn't changed, doesn't know how to properly address it, and seemingly wants to workshop new "edgy" jokes before addressing it.

Basically this. He either needed to wait long enough for his controversy to cool and becomes an old hat or rework his material.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm somewhat willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and that he doesn't really think that - he got famous entirely on his dark humor and edgy shtick. Seems like a joke that didn't land. People seem to forget that he made his way on riding the line.

This reminds me of that Dane Cook bit that happened in the news a year or two back about him workshopping some jokes that got leaked online.

Being a high profile celebrity comedian must suck, can't rehearse shit.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Every situation is the same and can't be judged on case by case basis. Way to go broad with the philosophical musings on dark comedy.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
And what exactly is he workshopping with these jokes about his own sexual predator behavior: "hey you think I can get away with just joking about it? Let's find out!", you really think that's something he should be "trying out"?

Well, he went on stage to a packed house and got a standing ovation from a group of people who knew about his sexual assaults. With that in his back pocket, yeah, he decided to test the waters.

If you want him to cut this behavior out, you have to stop rewarding it. People need to stop laughing at that material and stop buying tickets. Until that happens, he's gonna lob sexual assault jokes to see if they stick.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I'm somewhat willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and that he doesn't really think that - he got famous entirely on his dark humor and edgy shtick. Seems like a joke that didn't land.

This reminds me of that Dane Cook bit that happened in the news a year or two back about him workshopping some jokes that got leaked online.

Being a high profile celebrity comedian must suck, can't rehearse shit.

Being a high profile comedian making multi millions on comedy must suck.

A normal person caught doing what CK did would be in jail right now

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the "it's just early material" excuse is so wild. No sensible person would run jokes like this given his situation.

Oct 29, 2017
Well, he went on stage to a packed house and got a standing ovation from a group of people who knew about his sexual assaults. With that in his back pocket, yeah, he decided to test the waters.

If you want him to cut this behavior out, you have to stop rewarding it. People need to stop laughing at that material and stop buying tickets. Until that happens, he's gonna lob sexual assault jokes to see if they stick.

Ah so now we've moved from "c'mon he's just trying out material" to "well if people didn't like it they shouldn't laugh about it". That attempts to place responsibility for his bad behavior on the audience and, well, I dunno why you'd do that.

My point is I don't see what he's supposed to be workshopping if not "can I just bulldoze over my sex scandal". He's actively testing out to waters to see if he can be a complete asshole about it. And the answer to that shouldn't be "well if his audience lets him do it there's nothing wrong with that".

This also doesn't cover the instances in which he comes on stage unannounced, as is frequent when famous comedians want to workshop new material. It's not always a question of the audience specifically wanting to see Louis.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Every situation is the same and can't be judged on case by case basis. Way to go broad with the philosophical musings on dark comedy.
I'm just interested where people's heads are at with this. I think it's revealed that there are two responses to this. Some people are saying "I can't enjoy Louis CK trading in offensive comedy anymore" while some people are saying "I don't like offensive comedy at all, and a predator trading in it is an opportunity to declare that it was always wrong".

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
My point is I don't see what he's supposed to be workshopping if not "can I just bulldoze over my sex scandal". He's actively testing out to waters to see if he can be a complete asshole about it. And the answer to that shouldn't be "well if his audience lets him do it there's nothing wrong with that".

I agree that he's actively testing out the waters to see if he can be a complete asshole about it.

I don't think his behavior is ok if the audience let's him do it.

I'm saying that he's going to continue to do it until you hit him in the pockets. Clearly he doesn't actually feel bad, he just doesn't want this situation to fuck up his money.

Studge

Oct 25, 2017

This is it right here. He went from being a down to earth dude who loves his daughters and is trying his best to be a good person to a creepy asshole who enjoys jerking off in front of women without their consent. He could make offensive jokes because we all just knew he was a good guy at heart. Well, now we know he's not a good guy so the entire context of his material and performance of it has changed.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Great observation btw.