• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah fuck this dude.

I remember reading about his sexual misconduct allegations on one of the Gawker websites years ago, way before all the #MeToo stuff. I always thought about it when people would praise the dude and it made me feel kinda gross, even back then, and that was when I didn't even know if those allegations were true or not. That's why I was never really a fan.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it yersterday and it was pretty funny. And to be honest all the jokes described in the OP are alright in the context of the way he tells them. Like saying he did a racist japanese accent as a way to imply he's actually racist is ridiculous. That's not what the bit was about at all.

Same with the negro spiritual bit. The OP makes it sound like he's serious doing that comparison. It's obviously not the case.

Whacamole

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Minimizing Sexual Abuse, Account in Junior Phase
He sure did a bad thing. No question. Thing is.. having followed Louie for years, seen basically all his material including various interviews I just can't believe he's some kind of monster or predator.

He's a truly great comedian if nothing else.

This special was ONLY advertised trough his email list and published on his own website, how he is forcing this upon anyone is beyond me. That the media chose to pick it up knowing it's good klicks isn't really his fault?

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He sure did a bad thing. No question. Thing is.. having followed Louie for years, seen basically all his material including various interviews I just can't believe he's some kind of monster or predator.

This special was ONLY advertised trough his email list and published on his own website, how he is forcing this upon anyone is beyond me. That the media chose to pick it up knowing it's good klicks isn't really his fault?
Oof. what a take.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

can really you say you know a man if you haven't seen his penis though?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
The sad thing is that Louis CK had the power to make this right specifically to his victims, leverage his influence to protect women from other abusers, AND use his immense talent to make great comedy out of it all because there's along history of comedians using their fucked up lives to make strong comedic points to make amends. But he's a fucking coward, as a sex a abuser and as a comedian.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
You very clearly were not paying attention. All this shit has been smeared on the walls since the beginning. The only surprising thing about what Louie did is that people were actually surprised by it.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I tried to look at the clearly self-referential parts of the show from a perspective of his processing things and moving on from them but once it became clear he was still doing that shit, it was completely impossible for me to rewatch shit like the scene of him forcing himself on Pamela. Like...it's too much.

The show is not without some artistic merit, it was astoundingly well produced. But I can't ever watch it again and stomach it.

I think your original viewpoint was accurate. By all accounts his uh... behavior was long since over by the time he was making Louie. I can still enjoy the show for what it is. However, I have found I have flexible morals when it comes to the entertainment I enjoy and it's probably something I should work on.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I struggle with this feeling too. I think its similar to Michael Jackson syndrome where people can't grapple with reality because it doesn't fit into the image they "know" of the person already. Louis was a huge influence on my sense of humor and I still can't see him as anything other than that guy making edgy jokes with a smile on his face. I even bought one of his specials growing up because I wanted to support him, which was a big deal for me since I rarely had pocket change growing up.

In the end I've stopped supporting Louis but I can't bring myself to hate him. Its weird to say but it would feel like hating a part of myself.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I struggle with this feeling too. I think its similar to Michael Jackson syndrome where people can't grapple with reality because it doesn't fit into the image they "know" of the person already. Louis was a huge influence on my sense of humor and I still can't see him as anything other than that guy making edgy jokes with a smile on his face. I even bought one of his specials growing up because I wanted to support him, which was a big deal for me since I rarely had pocket change growing up.

In the end I've stopped supporting Louis but I can't bring myself to hate him. Its weird to say but it would feel like hating a part of myself.

I mean that's the problem with all art you loved and found out the creators were problematic. We all have examples, big and small. I just personally don't give em any (more) cash, but I would be lying if I said I never enjoyed their art. I try to separate the art from the artist, but I just don't ever forget the artist is a fucking dickhead and needs to be ostracised and sent to an island far far away, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I think your original viewpoint was accurate. By all accounts his uh... behavior was long since over by the time he was making Louie. I can still enjoy the show for what it is. However, I have found I have flexible morals when it comes to the entertainment I enjoy and it's probably something I should work on.

It just appears to me now that because he created a show to be therapeutic for himself, he thinks he's absolved himself of all the wrongdoing. He can stand on stage and lecture others about how the ways some women are able to protect themselves in awkward/dangerous situations is somehow partly responsible for your sexually assaulting them. He now has the perspective of someone who has gone through some sort of trial and come out of it a better person, despite his showing no apparent remorse for what he did. Through his comedic success, he was able to build a way to make himself feel better about it, while the women he wronged just have damaged careers or trust.

So watching the show now knowing the outcome and that it didn't do a damn thing for his sense of right or wrong...it ironically comes off as a bit masturbatory and it makes it harder to sit through it in any attempt to appreciate what was good about it.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yeah fuck this dude.

I remember reading about his sexual misconduct allegations on one of the Gawker websites years ago, way before all the #MeToo stuff. I always thought about it when people would praise the dude and it made me feel kinda gross, even back then, and that was when I didn't even know if those allegations were true or not. That's why I was never really a fan.

At least a year before the news broke a female comedian(s?) seemed to strongly suggest it without saying his name on one of the Doug Loves Movies podcasts/shows. It was clear though who she/they was talking about, and the other comedians there seemed to be in on the know.

It may have been Garfunkel and Oates but I just can't remember who it was.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It only seems fair. Standup comedian wants to keep making standup, and launches it his own site. Anyone can make up their own mind up, and either support or no.

I will probably buy it myself. What he did was bad, of course, but I don't think it was to the point that he should never be allowed to work again.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It only seems fair. Standup comedian wants to keep making standup, and launches it his own site. Anyone can make up their own mind up, and either support or no.

I will probably buy it myself. What he did was bad, of course, but I don't think it was to the point that he should never be allowed to work again.
Nobody is saying he should never be allowed to work again. People are criticizing others for willingly giving a sexual predator money in an industry that he ruined for other people though!

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
At least a year before the news broke a female comedian(s?) seemed to strongly suggest it without saying his name on one of the Doug Loves Movies podcasts/shows. It was clear though who she/they was talking about, and the other comedians there seemed to be in on the know.

It was, and I wouldn't be shocked if he exposed himself to both of them at some point. I can't recall if they were insinuating that they just knew about the behavior or if they were victim to it themselves.

Dec 13, 2018
Guy was nearly as big as a comedian can get ( tv series, movies, Netflix specials, celebrity voice work, cameos, on and on ) and it all came crashing down so hard...

can't say I'm not curious if it's any good, but I'm not paying for it

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on the delivery.
Like if you're going to be offensive, you have to be pretty funny and self-aware to balance it out.
He honestly is a pretty good comic and I'd probably find it funny. It's just disappointing his inability to own up to his real life antics properly. Real Bojack Horseman moments there (Bojack the character actually being objectively worse in the harm he's caused).

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
I was never a fan of CK, even before his scandal. Always felt his comedy was... I guess I can't quite put a finger on it, because I mostly avoided it, but he always grossed me out a bit? And I'm not a prude at all, so it's not that I was uncomfortable with the subject matter. I guess he always just seemed like a creep to me.
Yah I know what you mean. He takes his jokes to a rather obscene level. It's a little weird hearing people used to be fans of his in this thread tbh

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
None of his "jokes" described here really surprised or shocked me, considering this is the same person who made a joke about having his dead wife jerk him off while he sets his house on fire with his kids in it. 50 year old 4chan edge lord.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
"I like jerking off, I don't like being alone, that's all I can tell you. I get lonely, it's just sad. I like company. I like to share. I'm good at it, too. If you're good at juggling, you wouldn't do it alone in the dark. You'd gather folks and amaze them," he says.

Oh fuck off

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
i see a lot wrong with that part of the quote, tbh

he's framing what he did in an incredibly self-serving way: it's not that he's specifically a really shitty person, no. it's not that men like him don't particularly care about the comfort and boundaries of the people around them. it's just...damn, aren't women good at convincing you they're comfortable? that was his crime, apparently: not continuously asking "are you okay?" as opposed to, you know, just straight up being a sexual predator

"they said yes!!" is the poorly thought out, poorly informed argument his defenders always make, and he's very happy to let everybody believe that he's just another dude who stumbled while maneuvering around a more expansive conception of consent
The quote in itself is fine tho. The context of him saying it is the problem because that's not why he got into trouble. Its him using his power to do what he wants. He technically asked but he shouldn't have asked to begin with given the situation. You don't ask a co worker if you can jack off in front of them which is what he did. It was extremely unprofessional and manuiplative given his power in the industry. He didn't care how it affected them after, he just wanted to get his sexual urge met. That is the issue with the quote, not the quote itself which i again think is fine. The quote after doesn't help either which is weirdly racist.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I watched a few video clips of him some time ago and found them funny. But this here, like that slave joke or that jerking off joke, and I'm a sucker for dark humour, isn't even funny. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be, idk, but I don't really feel like watching his show.

I stick to Bill Burr for my daily dose of morbid "honesty" humour.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
and do what? don't get stuff like this. He did a bad thing, no one will deny that. But what is he supposed to do stay in hiding forever? Never ever attempt work again?

if people don't wanna support they can ignore
Oh the poor rich man can't do his stand up anymore without criticism and calls for him to leave the public eye because of his despicable actions and these "surprise" shows that certainly aren't building any goodwill.

He can take up woodworking or bird watching if he's looking for something to do.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
should've swallowed his pride like Aziz. people are eager to forgive celebrities. all they have to do is give an ounce of effort. Louis chose not to do that.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
None of his "jokes" described here really surprised or shocked me, considering this is the same person who made a joke about having his dead wife jerk him off while he sets his house on fire with his kids in it. 50 year old 4chan edge lord.
Yeah, this is the same humor that everyone in this thread loved 3 years ago. Nothing that shocking about it.

He's a piece of shit who does not deserve support, but the claims that he was always a bad comedian are pretty transparent. Y'all were laughing at his racist and sexist jokes a very short time ago.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Oh the poor rich man can't do his stand up anymore without criticism and calls for him to leave the public eye because of his despicable actions and these "surprise" shows that certainly aren't building any goodwill.

He can take up woodworking or bird watching if he's looking for something to do.
who said people can't criticize him? it's just the sentiment that he should go away forever that is weird.

if the man wants to make a living doing what he does then he can give it a go and the public will decide, for better or worse

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
he should get back to his hole and fuck off. He have more than enough money to last several lifetime, don't ever want to see this shitface again

Deleted member 45211

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
So according to you, saying that "Trump's policies are harming minorities, women and LGBTQ+ persons" is okay, but saying that "Trump is a racist, sexist, transphobe" is not okay? Because all those things are true. Labels apply to people when they display behavior deserving of those labels.
Labels exist because they help us parse the world. Sometimes those labels are wrong and need to be updated. Sometimes a person may grow and change and old labels may no longer apply. Neither of those circumstances provide a compelling argument to stop using labels.

Your argument is like saying that since we can't really judge a book by its cover/title, we shouldn't have covers or titles at all. That's a nonsensical take. Imagine if you went into a library and none of the books had covers or titles. How would you make a decision about what book to buy? By reading the first page, or the summary? But those things are just longer labels. They don't accurately convey the nuance, depth or complexity of the story, just like outward actions don't accurately convey people's nuanced internal lives.

How would you talk about the book with someone else?
"So there's this book where the hero rides giant desert worms, you should totally read it!"
"Hey, I read that book about the hero who rides giant desert worms, it was awesome!"

You've gotten tangled in semantics, and left logic at the far shore. I hope you find your way back.
Saying "Trump is a racist, sexist, transphone" is shorthand for describing the actions he takes, actions that discriminate and promote the discrimination against vulnerable groups. Notice how almost no one was saying these things when he was merely a gaudy New York real estate tycoon. In fact, he was embraced by many progressives. It stands to reason then, that when we call him these things we are judging the actions he takes, not the character. Now, as I understand your claim, you say that this doesn't matter because Trump is obviously a terrible person, and any difference between judging his actions and his character is a practice in semantics. And for judging negative qualities, I'd agree: there isn't much difference in the short term. The problem, however, is that when we judge character, we also judge it in the positive, and that's where problems arise.

When we judge (prior to scandal) a Louis CK, a Shaun King, a Bill Cosby, an Amber Heard to be "a good person," there's a tendency to lionize them and make them our role models. We form relationships with some degree of dependency. Sure, you may see yourself as above this phenomenon, but nevertheless, it happens to many. What happens then, is that if and when the bad behavior is discovered, there's a tendency to excuse it and sometimes model it. Each of the people mentioned, and many other public people, retain a lot of their fans because of that emotional connection of them being "a good person" we should emulate. And some of their bad behavior gets ingrained into our culture and normalized. Once we have made a judgement of character, it colors our perception of their actions. Rather, if we see someone who seems very progressive, helpful, and empathetic, we an describe him just in that fashion: "He really listens to people; she really fights for civil rights." When we go further and say "She's such a great role model" or to some extent "He's a national treasure!" (the latter, a metaphor for the "goodness" of a person) we make an unnecessary, unfounded, and perhaps misguided judgement on the internal life of a person, something we have next to no information about.

I claim that there is little to no positive value to making character judgements of people we only know from afar, and quite a bit of potential negative value. Character judgements are best reserved for our family and intimate friends, where loyalty has social and moral value. For people we only know through the public, it's much more helpful to just describe their actions.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
C.K. then makes a racist and misogynistic comparison to women having sex and slaves singing while they were forced to work.

"It's kind of like a Negro spiritual. It's sort of similar. So to assume that she likes it is like if they heard slaves singing in the field and you're like, 'Hey, they're having a good time out there,'" he says.
this fucking guy...

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017

It was, and I wouldn't be shocked if he exposed himself to both of them at some point. I can't recall if they were insinuating that they just knew about the behavior or if they were victim to it themselves.
It wasn't G&O, it was Dana Min Goodman and Julia Wolov.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Saying "Trump is a racist, sexist, transphone" is shorthand for describing the actions he takes, actions that discriminate and promote the discrimination against vulnerable groups. Notice how almost no one was saying these things when he was merely a gaudy New York real estate tycoon. In fact, he was embraced by many progressives.
Source on this? Any real progressive knew the guy was ownership-class and greed incarnate.