• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is Mario?

• Lou Albano

Votes: 56 20.8%
  • Charles Martinet

Votes: 213 79.2%

• Total voters

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Like who in your opinion is the definitive voice of Mario? I know people would say Charles Martinet, but before Super Mario 64, Lou Albano was seen as THE voice of Mario in a lot of people's ears. In fact, Charles Martinet got the job because he was the only one who DIDN'T do a Lou Albano impression. This is tricky for me. I gotta think.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No love for Bob Hoskins?

I like Martinet, but he's way too silly, cartoony and stereotypical to ever use for a fully voiced game or adventure. With the tone he uses, you couldn't have the character deliver more normal and straight-faced dialogue. It works for games where he just says "Yipee" and "Wah-hah" and other catchprhases, but beyond that I think his interpretation is pretty limited. If he had done the voices for Super Mario Brothers Super Show it probably would have come off as kinda dumb and cloying.

Who is doing the Mario voice in the upcoming CG movie?

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No love for Bob Hoskins?

I like Martinet, but he's way too silly, cartoony and stereotypical to ever use for a fully voiced game or adventure. With the tone he uses, you couldn't have the character deliver more normal and straight-faced dialogue. It works for games where he just says "Yipee" and "Wah-hah" and other catchprhases, but beyond that I think his interpretation is pretty limited. If he had done the voices for Super Mario Brothers Super Show it probably would have come off as kinda dumb and cloying.

Who is doing the Mario voice in the upcoming CG movie?
We don't know.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Tohru Furuya, duh

No, it's Martinet, mostly because he'll likely surpass the 25-year mark of owning the role before handing it off to another voice actor. That kind of voice actor consistency is rare.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
The DEFINITIVE Mario:
bobhoskins.jpg

Everything else is a cheap imitation.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Martinet speaks very fluent Spanish, so he wins by default for me. It'd be nice to hear him speak an actual paragraph while trying to keep Mario's voice recognizable though, in case future games or media need that.
Plus he's an all around great person if you follow himno Twitter.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Martinet speaks very fluent Spanish, so he wins by default for me. It'd be nice to hear him speak an actual paragraph while trying to keep Mario's voice recognizable though, in case future games or media need that.
I think he does speak full sentences in a Mario vs. Donkey Kong game.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see Charles Martinet try to manage the Moondogs to tag team gold, brother.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Charles Martinet Waluigi is the best voice of all time.

"I'll get you next time, cheaters!"

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I was pissed when they gave Mario the high pitched voice in 64. I mean I know why they did it, but it felt so off to me. At least it was a lot of fun to half make fun of 'yah wah woohoo'

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Martinet is great but only Albano told me to please go to hell before I die. So Martinet.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Plus he's an all around great person if you follow himno Twitter.

I'm sure Mario will be spending sentences in the movie that is currently being developed. Likewise he'll likely be talking in the Universal Nintendo land during a preshow or something. Unless they have Toad do the preshow or something.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I don't ever want to hear Martinet Mario actually speak, he's essentially a sound effect machine. Perfect for the way they currently use Mario, but when I think of the characters voice, I've got to give it to Albano.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Had to pick Captain Lou, he isn't even the first voiced Mario:

I don't have nothing against Martinet, he does a good Mario, this is just nostalgia talking. I prefer my Mario sounding older, less falsetto-y. That being said, Martinet's the one I emulate the most when I played Mario Galaxy. Everytime I'd die, I'd say, in a Martinet Mario-voice, "SunuvaBEEEETCH!!"

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I want it to be Lou Albano but we're going into decades with Charles Martinet at this point.

I'm just old and remember the Mario craze of the late 80s and early 90s.