• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Not to steer to much off topic but due to this being Mistwalker I must say that I was also slightly disappointed with Blue Dragon.

Like it had the lore, great character designs, great battle system. If only they polished it up more for release and add actual content that adds variety. Quests were basically nowhere, extra bosses were turds (💩literally), and the animation, voice acting, and script needed a lot of work... and that damn boss theme 😖

I dream for a fully realized jrpg from Mistwalker, with the right team, and amount of time (oops it's coming to mobile).

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I downloaded the game when MS gave it away for free and still haven't played it yet.

Maybe it's time to sit down and finally see what it's all about.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I made a custom cover a long time back that used the Japanese lost odyssey cover with the final fantasy 11 moniker photoshopped in because it fucking IS final fantasy 11. To me.

Brivs

Creative Director, BancyCo
Verified
Nov 4, 2017
Toronto
The combat was simplistic, with just enough nuance, but turn based, so it had the classic PS1 turn based feel. Nobuo does the soundtrack, so that also gives nostalgia FF vibes.And the world design, character design, some simple puzzle solving just gave it a classic FF feel. If you liked PS1 era Final Fantasies, you'll love this.

Thank you. :-) I am so in!

teraMEL0S

Oct 27, 2017
Lost Odyssey is honestly one of my favorite games ever, regardless of its flaws. I wish Microsoft or somebody was willing to fund a sequel, although Sakaguchi simply may not be interested.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
The part when MC meets Lirum and the text novellas were gold... everything else about that game I loathed, especially the constant random battles

I honestly felt Nier (the OG, not Automata) did everything better

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I liked LO a lot but the battle system got pretty tedious towards the end. battles just took too long. haven't played it in a decade because of that, but I'd like to give it another go again since I've totally forgotten the entire plot.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
It is perhaps the best JRPG I have played. Thousand Years of Dreams really puts it on another level. No other RPG has anything like it.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
i remember people calling it the true Final Fantasy Game (last Gen)
Given how dissapointed i was with FFXIII, Lost Odyssey was my saviour.

sadly the Ip stayed exclusive on the Xbox (such a ambitious JRPG has its audience on Playstation and/or Nintendo)

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest 11 fills in some of those gaps you mentioned with Lost Odyssey.

Still, incredible game and criminal that we'll never get a sequel. I genuinely think there'd be a decent market for it on Xbox One and PC, but whether or not Sakaguchi wants to make another AAA game and Microsoft see's something that'll make them money is another story.

The last of good JRPGs. These days only persona is still around that's worth playing.

Plenty of great JRPG's on handhelds still, and even on console games like DQ11 exist. One of the best JRPG's ever imo.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i remember people calling it the true Final Fantasy Game (last Gen)
Given how dissapointed i was with FFXIII, Lost Odyssey was my saviour.

sadly the Ip stayed exclusive on the Xbox (such a ambitious JRPG has its audience on Playstation and/or Nintendo)
LOL @ Sadly. It stayed exclusive because MS paid for it otherwise the game would've never been made.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was Lost Odyssey the last true attempt at a new Triple A JRPG? I still remember the massive marketing campaign.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Seriously, MS should port this to Steam/W10 and Switch. major $$$, could help fund LO2

Last edited:

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Ok let's just post this and make this thread complete:

This is the theme for the last boss fight.
It is like 6 genres or something in one song.
It is to this day the absolute most badshit insane final boss fight song for a traditional jrpg.
If you have never heard this full song, please listen to it.
It's monumental.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was mediocre. And while I understand your fascination with PS1 RPGs, I don't think there's much reason to yearn back for those times. We have fantastic JRPGs in this day and age and the genre has evolved with much success. Here's a list of modern JRPGs that are better than Lost Odyssey:

- Xenoblade
- Xenoblade 2
- Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age
- SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked
- Etrian Odyssey IV
- Nier
- Nier Automata
- Ys VIII
- SMT: Strange Journey
- Persona 3 and 4
- Radiant Historia
- Resonance of Fate 4K

All within the last ~10 years.

Few have anything to do with PS1 era JRPGs though. I'm glad the genre has moved on from FF9-like JRPGs.

Insane Dead

Oct 25, 2017
Easily one of my favorite games of last gen. It's a dream of mine to have a sequel or at least One X enhanced.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
It's crazy to think that in the first year or two of the 360 you had an exclusive Ace Combat, Ridge Racer, Katamari, Dead Rising, and 2 full budget JRPGs. Microsoft really did as much as possible to make in roads in Japan.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
One of the best JRPG's of last gen, along with Blue Dragon!

I'm glad the genre has moved on from FF9-like JRPGs.

I disagree. People act like Action RPG's are very new when they're really not (& also acting like that they're the best thing since sliced bread when not all of them are terrific). It's why Final Fantasy blew chunks after X or X-2 (with the exceptions of XI & XIV).

They're just as old as Turn-Based RPG's are.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't figure out why the game reviewed poorly after i finished it, it was 9/10 easily for me

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty flawed game, but it's also the closest a jrpg has come to giving me the feeling I got playing ps1 era FF games.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for this. :-) Adding Lost Odyssey to my Xbox One X backwards-compatible RPG list. I've always been curious about it; can you elaborate on what particularly gives you this feeling? The combat? Style?
The load times are super fast on the Xbox One X. I mean they got pretty fast after the 360 update where you could install games to the hard drive, but they seem even quicker on the XB1X when going into battle. Especially Blue Dragon.
LO was my fav Xbox 360 RPG.

I hope MS funds a sequel one day.

Blue_Dragon_Plus_US_Boxart_Small.jpg
Blue_dragon_awakened_shadow.jpg

ASH_-_Archaic_Sealed_Heat_Coverart.png
Seriously, every E3 one of my hopes is that Mistwalker shows up on MS' stage. Sounds like they might not want to work with them again from what I remember them talking about how strained the relationship got in that excellent "Oral History of FFVII" article.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Not a great story (not to be confused with the in-game short stories, many of which were definitely great), and it had quite a few ups and downs for me, but a tremendous game overall. One not to be forgotten.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Fantastic game. Love the non-traditional mother and son duo (you know the one I mean mean) and in general probably a pretty weird setup a bunch of the characters being parents. Honestly what I wanted from Square-Enix but they strayed too far into GFX and style over substance and haven't dropped that mentality even today.
LO's story was still intriguing enough to keep me hooked till the end and the characters are interesting and have unique personalities, even if there are some brats.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I feel Lost Odyssey was overrated by GAF and now ERA

I bought it and beat the main story, but in no way is it as good as FF7. (and I don't even consider FF7 the best FF)

Lost Odyssey is a solid game, but ultimately has way too many boring parts. some of the cutscenes were absolutely too long and boring. I'd give the game like 7.5/10

whereas I'd give FF7 a 9.5/10

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best JRPG's of last gen, along with Blue Dragon!

I disagree. People act like Action RPG's are very new when they're really not (& also acting like that they're the best thing since sliced bread when not all of them are terrific). It's why Final Fantasy blew chunks after X or X-2 (with the exceptions of XI & XIV).

They're just as old as Turn-Based RPG's are.
Gotta agree. ARPGs aren't an evolution from turn-based RPGs, they are just a preference. That's how I see it. For me, there will always be a place for both to coexist.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Ok let's just post this and make this thread complete:

This is the theme for the last boss fight.
It is like 6 genres or something in one song.
It is to this day the absolute most badshit insane final boss fight song for a traditional jrpg.
If you have never heard this full song, please listen to it.
It's monumental.

Howl of the Departed was such a good way to end the game. Probably in my top 3 of battle songs.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
It had its problems but yeah, it's the most "Final Fantasy" JRPG there is that isn't Final Fantasy. One of my favorite games from that gen. Some top tier music as well.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Oh, man. If I'd have heard at the time 'it's like a PA1 FF' I would have bought it straight away. I think they messed up the marketing for this game. I remember thinking it looked a bit generic at the time. A bit too 'fantasy' (whereas I like the future/fantasy mix of FF7 and 8). I wish I'd have bought this back when I had a 360.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Had some fucking great battle music. But the battles themselves were soooooooo sloooooooooow. The time it took to issue a command, see it performed, and get prompted to issue another command just took way too long. Also, I recall some pretty atrocious writing. The story-book vignettes (I forget what they were called) were excellently written. But the actual plot and dialog casually strayed towards horrific way too often. There were ideas there for a great experience. But the Lost Odyssey we got wasn't it, IMO.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
The mechanics werefun enough but the story was blah. Makes me wonder what it would have been like if the writer of the dreams had written the scenario too.