• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If it's on his contract, he can't do much besides leaving the agency. I mean, he can try convincing the higher ups how stupid this is, but I doubt it'd help anyway, Johnny's is not known for being reasonable.

I also highly doubt this is something he'd threaten to leave them for either, especially since he's apparently been with them for so long now and he's so damn popular. Probably not something he'd care about much I'm guessing lol.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
...like, they do know consoles can connect to the internet and have build-in web browsers, right?

RIGHT?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If this actually kills this franchise I wonder what the long-term fallout will be.

Tomba

Mar 10, 2021
and that's why you should keep celebs away from the games. create original characters instead

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda impressive they are willing to end it just for no PC port. Shows how important PC ports have become for companies, but also kinda hard to believe, honestly.
Maybe Sega is just pissed at a mere talent agency dictating terms like this and is going full scored earth on them.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking as a toku fan, the actions, control, business, and influence of Japanese Talent Agencies are very powerful. They're incredibly strict and have some backwards ass rules. None of this surprises me and reading on up Johnny's and their influence and controversies...it's a whole other level.

If SEGA decides to make a new series after this, I can't blame them.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just him replace him in the pc version with the same model used for the other characters that had been cancelled due to drug use in japan

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Just him replace him in the pc version with the same model used for the other characters that had been cancelled due to drug use in japan
Except this guy is a super star in east asia. But if a western only PC version were to be made with some different actor, that would be alright but you would obviously not cater to the japanese and asian markets anymore.

Jun 24, 2021
This is too batshit crazy and too fucking idiotic to be made up. I believe this 100%.

I dunno shit about Japanese talent agencies but if I was the actor (assuming he gives a shit about the biggest role he's ever played and the only one that ppl outside of Asia know him for) I'd be banging on the door of my agent screaming their ears off at this stupidity.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018
This is too batshit crazy and too fucking idiotic to be made up. I believe this 100%.

I dunno shit about Japanese talent agencies but if I was the actor (assuming he gives a shit about the biggest role he's ever played and the only one that ppl abroad know him for) I'd be banging on the door of my agent screaming their ears off at this stupidity.
Pretty sure I'd say the Yamada Samurai Trilogy, or the Hero TV show are his biggest roles and not a video game spin off where a lot of people can play the game with dubs.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Possible it has something to do with the existence of PC modding, so they see Steam and PC as a platform they can't really predict or control? I don't know a ton about Stadia, but I assume you can't really mod / access modded versions of games on there.

Same reason Nintendo doesn't love Super Hornio Bros. Wouldn't want some modded version of the game where your actor is doing or wearing something unsavory to blow up on YouTube and suddenly everyone is talking about how he was in that game where all the cars were loli-bots or something.

Sep 17, 2020
Probably afraid of mods and what could be seen being done with his likeness.

Not really relevant but as a Yakuza fan i was really disappointed with the first Judgement..had to force myself through it, the "detective gameplay" was terrible.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
As someone currently playing the first game on PS5, come on don't fuck this series up. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Good on Sega for sticking to their guns with regards to PC releases. Fuck Johnny's. Really not much more to say, I'm livid such an amazing series has to die like this and it's all because of executives living in the 19th century.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you ask why the talent agency prevent Sega from publishing the PC version, as I say in the post, the talent company "Johnny's" have a very strict portraiture right policy, they don't want their talents' portraits on "a PC platform that is not a game console platform and connects directly to Internet."

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Am I reading this wrong? Consoles have web browsers now. That's been the case for Playstation since 2006.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
I read the wiki:

From 1988 to 2000, Kitagawa was the subject of a number of claims that he had taken advantage of his position to engage in improper sexual relationships with boys under contract to his talent agency. Kitagawa denied these claims, and in 2002 was awarded an 8.8 million yen judgment against the magazine that had published such allegations. An appeal by the magazine followed, resulting in a partial reversal of the judgment. The Tokyo High Court reduced the damages to ¥1.2 million, concluding that the reports of drinking and smoking were defamatory but that the allegations of sexual exploitation of adolescent boys by Johnny Kitagawa were true. A 2004 appeal to the Supreme Court by Kitagawa was rejected.
This used to be the founder and president of Johnny. He dies in 2019, may he rest in piss.

Yikes.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory generalizations. The stance of one company does not represent all of Japan.
It's amazing how backwards Japan can be with things like this sometimes.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
this might be the dumbest reason to end a game series I have ever heard.

Replace the actor, or make someone from the supporting cast the new main character.

Nov 1, 2020
Speaking of stardom in Japan, isn't TV 'bigger' than film there, as far as celebrity power goes? Or have I got my wires crossed there?
I'm aware that KimuTaku is still a TV god a few decades strong. In comparison, someone like Sanada Hiroyuki apparently hasn't done Japanese TV in a couple of decades, going by his entry on the D-addicts wiki.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Can't they just replace his ingame model and stick another face on it for the ports ?
i mean they already did that before.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
This is 100% believable. It really sucks but it's also hilarious how absurd it is.

I wonder if they would just get someone else to replace the character and continue the series in some way…

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
i mean didn't they change Peter Parker in the ps5 spiderman release , unless im missing something i don't see that being so hard

overtoncanon

Mar 14, 2021
PC gaming is way larger than Playstation in a world wide scale. Unless you mean the market slice that would buy a game like this. In which case Playstation is probably bigger, but you're probably right, not by that much.

I don't understand how they can't just communicate this to them. Just say here, look st these sales numbers. That should be all it takes.

Try saying that to japanese people, pc gaming is not part of the conversation to them. It's mobile first, then switch then playstation and much much lower PC.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
seems the easy solution would be to just replace him or create an original character and not have to deal with this weird stuff.

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017
Is it possible that lost judgement does well enough on consoles that a third can happen but on console only or is no PC version to big of a risk.

I wonder if this is actually less about PC versions and more about them realizing what a pain in the ass it is to deal with Johnny's. I'm sure if they agreed to no PC ports it wouldn't hurt them too much but what other BS demands would they have to deal with in the future?

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Why don't they just do what TV shows do over here when an actor leaves and subject the character to a horrible death?