• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Update: Found her safe and sound. Slight injuries. Will have to relax a bit before our long drive tomorrow.

Original:
Not too sure why I'm posting this, mostly just for some words of encouragement I suppose. The girlfriend and I are in Vancouver for a week on a fun trip, and of course brought the dog along to go to Capilano Bridge and other places. Got here Sunday night, and after a day of activities on Monday, we went for supper. The Airbnb we're staying at was chosen because of their dog friendliness, they have a yard completely fenced in and for dogs themselves.

But turns out, not completely. Our dog got worried while we were shortly out for supper, and decided she could get under the fence at a point near the entrance (small hole). She was chased by one of the owners and kept running apparently quite a few blocks away. We had her crate in the room but when we left thought it would be fine with her in the yard since she did that Sunday night.

So, missing since Monday evening. We were only gone for 40 minutes or so. Going to extend this vacation it take a few extra days off if I need to as were supposed to be heading to another city today. I personally feel like shit and can't get a good night's sleep. Cold sweats and stress and anxiety. Hoping my post doesn't turn out to word vomit as I'm running on a few hours sleep and it's half past 5am.

Anyone have stories of lost dogs you've had to deal with? Btw we have posters put up, Facebook and Reddit posts made, and hired a team of bloodhounds specializing in searching for lost pets.

And of course, here's a picture of her. Hana is her name.
hqAG7YF.jpg

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I know this isn't going to make you feel much better, but if she's only been gone for a little more than 24 hours you still have a chance of her coming home or being found by a neighbor. I'm not going to tell you not to worry, just that I've seen dogs run away for longer than that and still come home safe and sound.

Fingers crossed you get your pup back soon, Keyouta.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus.

That sounds awful. I've got no advice to give but I wish you best of luck.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know this isn't going to make you feel much better, but if she's only been gone for a little more than 24 hours you still have a chance of her coming home or being found by a neighbor. I'm not going to tell you not to worry, just that I've seen dogs run away for longer than that and still come home safe and sound.

Yeah but they aren't at home or anywhere near it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I hope you find her, OP.

I've had a couple of my dogs get out before. One tunneled under the gate in the middle of the night but eventually came back, and for the other time, someone left our gate unlocked and he went out exploring. Some college students ended up bringing him back.

Is she chipped or anything like that?

OP
OP
Keyouta

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I understand, and you're right. We're just a bit more worried since we were only in this place for a day before she ran off. I'm from Alberta so we're not really anywhere near home. Luckily we have lots of people helping and giving advice. Stuff like putting her bed below the car here at our rental. We have traps set up as well in areas she was sighted but it's been over a day since the last sighting.

I'll keep positive, thanks for your advice.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Get on Facebook and find the local/regional lost dog page. There are people that will spread the word and actively join the search. Hell even contact a local tv station.

OP
OP
Keyouta

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Get on Facebook and find the local/regional lost dog page. There are people that will spread the word and actively join the search. Hell even contact a local tv station.
Facebook is covered, we haven't really considered local news yet, but we'll see as it develops. The biggest thing is posters to get the word out for a sighting. The bloodhounds should be able to track her from there.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Facebook is covered, we haven't really considered local news yet, but we'll see as it develops. The biggest thing is posters to get the word out for a sighting. The bloodhounds should be able to track her from there.

My boss' son was moving back to the US from Japan and sent his dog back to his mom's(my boss). The dog bolted at some point, it was on the news and a ton of people from Facebook were out searching. I believe one of the Facebook volunteers ended up catching the dog after about a week.

Your story seems like one tv stations would be interested in.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Don't lose hope! Assuming she's microchipped and registered I'd say there's still a good chance she could make it home. Make sure all your registration/contact info is up to date though.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
When hunters around my parts lose their dogs in places that might be unfamiliar to the dog they place food and water where they last saw the dog, along with a bundle of clothes bearing their scents so that the dog knows that they are coming back for them. Just an idea. I really hope you find your buddy soon.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
There aren't any wild animals around where you're vacationing right? Sending prayers for your pup to return back to you safe and sound!

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Feel bad for you OP. If it was me, I would print off a bunch of pictures of the dog with your phone number. I would then knock on every door in the vicinity telling them that your whole family including your little kids (make it up if you don't have them) are heart broken over the missing dog.
Sadly people steal dogs, and if it's the case here it might make them feel bad and call the number.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Leave out a t-shirt or something that smells like you, that might help draw her back.

Oct 25, 2017
no
Oh no :( Make sure you check the local SPCA and maybe even the nearest vet office, too. When people find strays, sometimes they bring em there.

I hope you guys get your pupper back. ❤️

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Is she chipped?

That's your best bet.

If not, she'll probably get picked up and sold.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no! Best of luck finding your dog, OP.

Can't really think of any advice that hasn't already been given.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Someone told me you should put their crate outside if they're unfamiliar with the area. That way if they find their way back they have a place to stay and a familiar scent to follow.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful dog, sorry to hear about what's happening. Best of luck, OP, try not to get too stressed out!

OP
OP
Keyouta

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is she chipped?

That's your best bet.

If not, she'll probably get picked up and sold.
She's chipped and has her collar with a tag and our number on it.
Someone told me you should put their crate outside if they're unfamiliar with the area. That way if they find their way back they have a place to stay and a familiar scent to follow.
Done a couple nights ago, we put some of our clothes in too. Were told that 9/10 times a dog will eventually go back to where they ran from. Right now I'm at the dog park where she was last seen, with the car doors open. Apparently good for a scent trail. Crate is inside the gate right now as we were told the trap should be up front outside.
Have you contacted any animal shelter about a stray being brought in?
Contacted all the ones around the area, and have looked at the BC SPCA. Hana is microchipped and has a collar on so if anyone can get a hold of her hopefully they'd call. Problem is she's lightning quick.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
That's really sad :( I hope you are able to find your dog, but that really is scary :/ I hope if someone finds your dog they return it and I really hope coyotes don't come by since your dog is tiny :(

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, not putting her in a crate in leaving her in a yard was incredibly irresponsible. hope someone finds her

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, not putting her in a crate in leaving her in a yard was incredibly irresponsible. hope someone finds her
It's a dog friendly Airbnb that says it has a fenced in yard. And the OP is already having a tough time without people telling them they're incredibly irresponsible lol. Read the room.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Insensitive commentary over a series of posts
It's a dog friendly Airbnb that says it has a fenced in yard. And the OP is already having a tough time without people telling them they're incredibly irresponsible lol. Read the room.
nah, leaving a dog out unattended is irresponsible regardless if its at home or an airbnb. hope this is a learning opportunity for them.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
nah, leaving a dog out unattended is irresponsible regardless if its at home or an airbnb. hope this is a learning opportunity for them.

Pet parent shaming on the first page, stay classy ERA

Hope you find your dog safe and sound OP, i have a huge back yard and i still go back there to check for spots to make sure nothing can get in or out

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Even if you can't find her, know that she's with another family now. My family found two lost dogs growing up that were never able to find the owners of, but we gave them a loving and happy home.

Best of luck to you and your search OP <3

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you can call it what ever you want, but im correct. the only reason to post this on here is for sympathy, and i dont think its deserved.

Whether you think it's deserved or not, perhaps a little tact is in order for someone who is feeling bad about the loss of their pet?

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
you can call it what ever you want, but im correct. the only reason to post this on here is for sympathy, and i dont think its deserved.
Venting, maybe suggestions on what else to do/try to recover the dog? You can feel correct in your assessment of the OP's judgment but IMO that's not exactly helpful at this time. Empathy is nice.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I genuinely hope you aren't ever in this situation, but if you are hopefully folks aren't there to immediately shame you. You actually don't have to post in every thread you see.

I hope you make progress OP. My dog got out of my house when I got back from vacation last month. I eventually found him in my neighborhood a few blocks away rolling around in a flower bed, but the 15 minutes or so of searching was full on panic in my mind. It was recent so I feel optimistic for your situation. Hope you find your pup.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Venting, maybe suggestions on what else to do/try to recover the dog? You can feel correct in your assessment of the OP's judgment but IMO that's not exactly helpful at this time. Empathy is nice.

he already is doing most of it, its mentioned in the OP. only thing to do is wait at this point.

I genuinely hope you aren't ever in this situation, but if you are hopefully folks aren't there to immediately shame you. You actually don't have to post in every thread you see.

i havent been in my 20+ years of dog ownership, but if i fucked up the shame would be earned