• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have recently been playing Lost Ark on the Russian servers with a (spotty but funny) English fantranslation and have been absolutely blown away by what this game does with it's isometric gameplay.

The game is simply GORGEOUS even if it "only" runs on Unreal Engine 3. The developers are extremely ambitious and expressive with the use of the isometric camera, freely moving it during gameplay, using it for cutscenes (all cutscenes I have come across in 30hours so far are completely in-engine and seamlessly go back to gameplay) and generally setting the mood. It's even used for puzzles where the camera will shift and rotate to give you an easier time of for example evading traps on the floor.
It will zoom in tight or zoom out so far that your character is almost a tiny speck in the giant setpieces that you then actively play in.

Below some examples I quickly found on Youtube of times I could not believe what they were suddenly pulling off and apparently the game gets even crazier as I keep playing:

SPOILERS AHEAD

Here you have a siege against a huge castle city that you actively play and fight your way into the palace. And afterwards this becomes one of the main hub cities of the game!

Later on, in the same country, you defend a Helm's Deep style fortress from an insane demon invasion and when all hope seems lost they basically send in fucking Gandalf!

Oh and did I mention how they have tons of different looking areas in the game? Like for example a village of tiny people that you enter by drinking a shrinking potion!?

I absolutely can't wait till this (rumors say this year finally) releases in the west so my friends can check it out too.
The game has been an absolute blast. it's basically a singleplayer isometric ARPG but you also have other players in the world and eventually get to huge dungeons and raid bosses. Just completely nuts.

I hope ERA doesn't sleep on this game when it comes out. I fully believe that a single player playthrough of this is 100% worth the time of anyone who like isometric ARPGS.
I could gush on and on about how amazing the different classes play too but you know, just look at this video:

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Is there any news on the release date since Amazon picked it up?
It's one of my most anticipated games.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Oh yeah and did I mention that they let you freely rotate the camera during giant boss raids so you can always see your character better?

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to play this game. God knows when it'll get released in NA though. I know that Smilegate partnered with Amazon to publish it in the west, but I'm not sure what's the progress on that.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I would love to play this game. God knows when it'll get released in NA though. I know that Smilegate partnered with Amazon to publish it in the west, but I'm not sure what's the progress on that.
The rumor is that it will release sometime this summer. HOPEFULLY.
Also hopefully with a proper release that has all content Korea currently has and not like 2 years behind...

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
And did you know that after you finish the first continent in the game, which took me like 20 hours, you unlock the rest of the world and a SAILING WORLD MAP where you sail around, get new ships, hire sailors, find small islands to explore/fight on etc.. and can then travel to the continents in any order you want to progress the main story? WTF right?

Sorry I'm basically just gushing for weeks about this game now

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
This is one I've been waiting for a long time. I think last update was that publishers were bidding against each other to secure Western localization rights but not sure if that ended up being true or not.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
This is one I've been waiting for a long time. I think last update was that publishers were bidding against each other to secure Western localization rights but not sure if that ended up being true or not.
The latest info we have is this:

www.amazongames.com

Amazon Games enters publishing agreement with Smilegate RPG

Amazon Games today announced it has reached an exclusive publishing agreement for North America and Europe with Korean developer Smilegate RPG.

It is basically assumed that this will be Lost Ark

Kurumi

Oct 26, 2017
The rumor is that it will release sometime this summer. HOPEFULLY.
Also hopefully with a proper release that has all content Korea currently has and not like 2 years behind...

I really hope that's true. And I hope I'll have internet again by time it releases. I've been so interested in this game since the first time I saw it.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Another thing I find fascinating about their ingame cutscenes is that they pull off proper anime fights in it. Like over the top hand to hand stuff and such.
Here's one of the shorter fighters, there are much crazier ones

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Amazon: Where is the EU release?!
I'm having huge fun on the RU server but it just isn't the same with the weird fantranslation.
I really hope this actually properly comes out, I really want my friends to experience it too and I wanna stream so so much of it, maybe even make a guild!

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I still hope to see the EU release but I can't deny that I have limited expectation when it comes to F2P.
How that impacted the design of a game like Black Desert has really tempered my excitement for F2P games.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I want to be excited for this game, but its style such a turn off. After years of playing MMOs out of Korea, I just can't get into that particular style of fantasy design anymore.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Diablo 4 comes out before this gets a western release mistakes have been made.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
After playing the game last year via VPN connection to the Russia server, it's somehow plays even better than it looks. I was very impressed by the combat, skills and visual style. It's not perfect and it's starting to look dated due to UE3 being used, but it def showcases what can be done with isometric combat to be more interesting. I'm looking forward to the Western release by next year hopefully, and also at seeing what competing products like Lineage 3/eternal/Project TL will do

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I want to be excited for this game, but its style such a turn off. After years of playing MMOs out of Korea, I just can't get into that particular style of fantasy design anymore.
There certainly are a lot of the "usual Korean designs" but I have been very surprised by how diverse all the continents are. They got regular medieval continent, techno-western continent, chinese/korean continent, weird elven magic fairy forest continent, etc...

raangz

Oct 30, 2017
i played this on korean server thru VPN a couple years ago and while it did seem like a perfect game i would love.... i hate how railroaded i felt throughout the leveling process :/ like New Zone, talk to some NPCs, do some quests, return quests at end of zone, onto next zone, rinse repeat throw in dungeons sometimes. Probably only a minor gripe as i know it's all about the endgame, but wondering if the leveling/grinding part ever gets more interesting.
Otherwise i loved everything about this I think? I played a Bard and it felt really fun! Really want this to release over in the west so I can truly try it again...

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Ah yes that game that will never come out. This was the game i was most hyped about a few years ago. At this point i don't even care anymore.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I still hope to see the EU release but I can't deny that I have limited expectation when it comes to F2P.
How that impacted the design of a game like Black Desert has really tempered my excitement for F2P games.
It doesn't help that this is an korean game. These are usually extremly grindy.
On the other hand I am not even too interested in endless endgame. Just a proper story mode and playing around with one or two characters.

Ashgarth

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to play it in 2073.

Jokes aside, this game would have been great to have in the west. But, at this rate, if it ever comes out it will bash against PoE2 and Diablo IV and end up dead on arrival.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Been waiting for this game forever. The skill & abilities trees seemed so interesting for me. As many others have already pointed out, Diablo 4 will be out by the time this hits North America.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Can't wait to play it in 2073.

Jokes aside, this game would have been great to have in the west. But, at this rate, if it ever comes out it will bash against PoE2 and Diablo IV and end up dead on arrival.
Outside of being isometric, they aren't really the same genre.
Lost ARK is an MMO with MMO itemization. PoE2 and Diablo 4 are random loot collectors
It also has dungeons, raids, open world pvp, pvp sieges etc...

It will of course at that point also be 3-4 years old while PoE2 and Diablo will be brand new

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
i played this on korean server thru VPN a couple years ago and while it did seem like a perfect game i would love.... i hate how railroaded i felt throughout the leveling process :/ like New Zone, talk to some NPCs, do some quests, return quests at end of zone, onto next zone, rinse repeat throw in dungeons sometimes. Probably only a minor gripe as i know it's all about the endgame, but wondering if the leveling/grinding part ever gets more interesting.
Otherwise i loved everything about this I think? I played a Bard and it felt really fun! Really want this to release over in the west so I can truly try it again...
That's really not how i see the game. The game basically is build like a singleplayer ARPG with a cinematic story.
Once you are out of the first continent, Lutheria, you get your boat and you can go to any other continent and search for the ARK pieces there in basically any order. The story seems HUGE from what I am playing, like really really long and as you can see in some of the videos, the cutscenes are super well made.
I am doing all the dungeons and such solo as well, I never interacted with another player. It's even more solo than FF14 which is already basically a solo MMO.
I don't know how the whole moving into the raids and such happens,if you finish all the story first or if it opens up concurrently or what, but so far this is basically a singleplayer game for me that I am playing for free.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Been waiting for this game so long that I'm not even sure if I'm still interested lol. I'm guessing this doesn't have controller support at the moment right?

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Been waiting for this game so long that I'm not even sure if I'm still interested lol. I'm guessing this doesn't have controller support at the moment right?
9wqdO8r.png

It does

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Btw I am a little weirded out that a lot of the discussion in here is about like "PoE2 and Diablo 4" are coming and stuff like this.
I didn't really make a thread like "Lost Ark is the best game" or "You should play Lost Ark somehow" but it's about the presentation of an Isometric Game.
A little sad that isn't really discussed that much.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Are raids and dungeons the only endgame? I never play these kinds of games with other people so it would suck to be locked out of the actual content at the end.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Are raids and dungeons the only endgame? I never play these kinds of games with other people so it would suck to be locked out of the actual content at the end.
I have basically no idea about the endgame of this. I still got huge amounts of story ahead of me and I am 40+ hours in.
As far as I am aware they add constant new story content as well. I heard a lot of people play the game how I usually play these kind of games: Do all the content they can/want and then take a break till new content they want releases

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting since the first announcements. Diverse, flashy, and weighty skills and attack animations are what pulls me into ARPG's so it makes me happy that an ARPG MMO is accomplishing this. Just hoping any rumors of it coming this year is true, I need more MMO's to play.

And I don't remember seeing Reaper in any class videos I saw ages ago but that already looks like it'll be my go-to class. Berserker, that Gunlance-like class, and the heavy gauntlet class all look super fun too, and I admire the heavy gunner class with the giant fuckoff laser beams and mortars.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I've been waiting since the first announcements. Diverse, flashy, and weighty skills and attack animations are what pulls me into ARPG's so it makes me happy that an ARPG MMO is accomplishing this. Just hoping any rumors of it coming this year is true, I need more MMO's to play.

And I don't remember seeing Reaper in any class videos I saw ages ago but that already looks like it'll be my go-to class. Berserker, that Gunlance-like class, and the heavy gauntlet class all look super fun too, and I admire the heavy gunner class with the giant fuckoff laser beams and mortars.
Reaper was the second to last class added, with the female Gunslinger being the current "newest class".

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
Played Lost Ark Kr for a few months. Lots of fun, but yes without a proper translation and always guesswork I stopped. Still hoping to jump on the game when it comes to NA most likely with Amazon.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Nice! Another MMO for me to play.

Guess it's either this or Conqueror's Blade.

...Though apparently this is isometric, which I already like.