• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So i bought dmc v at launch, paid 60 bucks for it digitally. Ive been an on and off gamepass subscriber, usually only when there is a deal. Anyway i moved and dont have internet yet, i wanted to play dmc v and it told me that i cant because its part of game pass which i cant access because of my lack of internet. My other gamepass games that i purchased before they hit the service like shadow of war and forza horizon 4 work just fine. So am i fucked? Did i just completley lose my digital license to play the copy of dmc v that i own because of game pass? My subscription ends in february, am i just not allowed to play it after that?

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
So the Game Pass layer overwrote the ownership layer while playing offline? If that's really what's happening then that's kinda fucked up considering you own the game.

I'm sure it'll work itself out when you connect online though. Maybe connect using your phone as a hotspot for a minute?

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Turn your Xbox offline, there's an option in network settings to disconnect it from the internet that should solve your problem.

It helps when xbox live is down.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
Can you temporarily access the internet via tethering your mobile device? Might be worth a shot if not then go straight offline.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I don't if it will work but try putting your xbox in offline mode, that sometimes fixes internet issues.

OP
OP
Secretofmateria

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the advice guys, i really appreciate it, ill definitely be more careful with game pass from now on.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the advice guys, i really appreciate it, ill definitely be more careful with game pass from now on.

The issue isnt gamepass, its how xbox handles connectivity and checking for licenses. Happens with GWG titles too. Starting offline usually fixes it. It's just a pain in general to use a xbox without internet, certainly a holdover from the og xbox 1 plans

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I think, ironically, that you need the connection to the internet when you switch it to offline mode. I don't think it'll work without it. I ran into this with a game recently.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I think, ironically, that you need the connection to the internet when you switch it to offline mode. I don't think it'll work without it. I ran into this with a game recently.

Nah, it works (or at least worked for me). I had a similar issue with Fallout 4 which i own and its also on gamepass. You just need to reboot the system already in offline mode, it doesnt work if you change it and try to use without rebooting.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
nope, you 100% do not need to be online to switch to offline mode
Nah, it works (or at least worked for me). I had a similar issue with Fallout 4 which i own and its also on gamepass. You just need to reboot the system already in offline mode, it doesnt work if you change it and try to use without rebooting.

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe my situation a couple weeks ago was fucky. I swear that I went through this.

OP
OP
Secretofmateria

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Turns out taking my console offline didnt help. I should be getting my internet installed today, hopefully once that happens the license issue will resolve its self

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Turns out taking my console offline didnt help. I should be getting my internet installed today, hopefully once that happens the license issue will resolve its self

Just FYI, I just went back and checked. I did have to enable hotspot on my phone, switch my console to the wifi, enable offline mode, and then I could play my gamepass game. I would think that this is not how it is supposed to be designed, but yeah, this is what I had to do when the fiber line broke at my house so I could play offline.