• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going through the process of trying to recovery all my accounts and its been sort of a hassle. I had written down all my secret one time passwords/codes, but this has failed me for my Nintendo account and Coinbase account. I'm assuming that at some point, they were all automatically reset? I don't even recall this though.

If I was using Google Authenticator before and switched to Microsoft, my secret pass code should work on both right? I'm wondering if this was the issue the entire time because Nintendo says to specifically use Google Authenticator. After resetting my phone, I decide I didn't want to deal with Google's back up-less solution and I heard of a lot of issues with Authy, so went with Microsoft's. So far it blows Google's app out of the water.

Just a heads up that if you're in North America, Nintendo is pretty good about the recovery process so they were able to get 2FA turned off for me.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Authy and haven't had any issues — I have it on my Android phone and ipad. Google Authenticator doesn't backup or sync across devices (like Authy does) so if you get or switch to a new device, you pretty much have start all over.

XSystem

Apr 1, 2019
If I was using Google Authenticator before and switched to Microsoft, my secret pass code should work on both right?

Google Authenticator is simply an implementation of the OATH TOTP standard. Whenever a service asks you to use Google Authenticator you don't actually have to use Google Authenticator, but simply an app (or physical device) that implements this standard. If you wrote down the TOTP secret and reentered it later in a different app that also supports OATH TOTP, there shouldn't be an issue.

But yeah, backups can be a hassle with 2FA. Since I use a YubiKey as a 2FA / FIDO2 device, loosing my second factor is as simple as loosing this small USB device. That's why I keep physical printouts of the TOTP secrets in a secure location, just in case.

OP
OP

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Google Authenticator is simply an implementation of the OATH TOTP standard. Whenever a service asks you to use Google Authenticator you don't actually have to use Google Authenticator, but simply an app (or physical device) that implements this standard. If you wrote down the TOTP secret and reentered it later in a different app that also supports OATH TOTP, there shouldn't be an issue.

But yeah, backups can be a hassle with 2FA. Since I use a YubiKey as a 2FA / FIDO2 device, loosing my second factor is as simple as loosing this small USB device. That's why I keep physical printouts of the TOTP secrets in a secure location, just in case.

OK, thanks for clarifying

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Microsoft's Authenticator has a backup and restore feature, btw. You can easily move everything to a new phone. :)

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Google Authenticator doesn't have a backup/cloud sync. I learned this the hard way.

OP
OP

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I see here many are using Authy with no issues. I only went with Microsoft because of the higher rating on the Play Store and I saw that there latest update was the cloud back up feature a week ago (which makes me wonder - why was it so high in the first place if it DIDN'T have this feature).

Anyways, I'm happy with it so far and almost all set up.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How has it failed you? If you have the keys, there is no issue.
BTW, Coinbase migrated from Authy to Google Ath because of security issues (related with the authy tokens).

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here to echo how good Authy is.

It also has an Apple Watch app which makes it super easy to get to.

I went through this process myself fairly recently (going through Amazon's recovery process was a pain unto itself 😑) and am using Google but have also recently downloaded Microsoft due to work moving from Okta to Microsoft.

Since Microsoft has a backup feature, how easy is it to migrate over from Google? I'd rather have everything in 1 place rather than split across 2 different apps.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Authy is what I use. Syncs with my iPad too, so there are a couple of failsafes in place.