• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I lost 50 lb in 10 weeks when I was 35 last year, dont give up. I did it with calories deficit, with barely any exercise for my first 7 weeks. Removing all sugar from diet is also the key. I was super strict to my meal for the good 10 weeks because I find if you stretch out your goal for too long, you always fail. So loosing as much as possible in the shortest time possible worked for me. And no cheating ever, you cheat once then you are done, I have seen too many people fail like that. Just because friend or family come over to visit doesn't mean you have to eat the same food.

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus your comprehension. I know you said I was being sarcastic... I was saying "while I was being sarcastic, the poster I was quoting was not" pointing out how absurd that statement is. Can't believe I had to translate that for you.
Calm down there bud.

Just a misunderstanding. Also it's confusing as you didn't quote the person you were directly mocking with your bread comment and were quoting a somewhat serious post, likewise, this post (https://www.resetera.com/threads/losing-weight-after-35-is-hard.149162/post-25805597) was more so in response to the diabetic comment that someone made above.

Chill.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Calm down there bud.

Just a misunderstanding. Also it's confusing as you didn't quote the person you were directly mocking with your bread comment and were quoting a somewhat serious post, likewise, this post (https://www.resetera.com/threads/losing-weight-after-35-is-hard.149162/post-25805597) was more so in response to the diabetic comment that someone made above.

Chill.

It's very clear what I was saying, and it's funny you snap back with "try reading" when you need to try to do the same.

edit- it's also frustrating because again if you read what I had written to you initially, you would've understood much earlier.

Oct 25, 2017
It's very clear what I was saying, and it's funny you snap back with "try reading" when you need to try to do the same.
Again.. calm down? Like I said, it was confusing as the original post wasn't quoted about the kit kat items. You claim I "snapped back" but you also told me "try reading what I was responding to" but it wasn't what you responded to via your quote.

EDIT (Since you added this)

edit- it's also frustrating because again if you read what I had written to you initially, you would've understood much earlier.

The post about the kitkat that you edited in on this post was after I had read it. But I did see it and acknowledge that you were being sarcastic which I then understood. :)

Anyways..

RE: CICO and no exercise - I did this back in 2016 and lost about 15lbs just eating less calories. I didn't care what I ate but just ate less calories. It worked but I then fell into a really bad skinny fat situation. I've now corrected that as of late. Been going pretty ham on working out and eating at a clean cut in terms of calorie deficit.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Again.. calm down? Like I said, it was confusing as the original post wasn't quoted about the kit kat items. You claim I "snapped back" but you also told me "try reading what I was responding to" but it wasn't what you responded to via your quote.

Anyways..

RE: CICO and no exercise - I did this back in 2016 and lost about 15lbs just eating less calories. I didn't care what I ate but just ate less calories. It worked but I then fell into a really bad skinny fat situation. I've now corrected that as of late. Been going pretty ham on working out and eating at a clean cut in terms of calorie deficit.

Just linked you to my first response to you where I linked the quote and explained it clear as day.

You were the one who started with the sarcastic "maybe try reading" adding the lol at the end driving home the snark.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Since people in this thread seems to go over peoples diets I wanted to ask if mine sounds okay? I've been on and off with diets due to high stress but my best weight was 122 and that's my goal again. I'm seeing results with my current meal plan but still just want to make sure it's okay.

Week days it's green tea and fruit at 9:00am(I alternate between an apple and banana one day or container of watermelon on the other which I estimate at 100 calories for the container) and at 4:00pm I have oatmeal(2 packs maple and brown sugar), 2 eggs and one piece of white toast. Calculated my calories end up between 900-1000 though I like to overestimate just in case with the watermelon and say it's like 1100.

Is this okay for week day diet? I need to work on weekend meal because I generally cheat on Saturday and do about 1300 calories from junk and Sundays I might do that again or avoid it. My defecit is 1400 apparently and I'm 5'6 female.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Since people in this thread seems to go over peoples diets I wanted to ask if mine sounds okay? I've been on and off with diets due to high stress but my best weight was 122 and that's my goal again. I'm seeing results with my current meal plan but still just want to make sure it's okay.

Week days it's green tea and fruit at 9:00am(I alternate between an apple and banana one day or container of watermelon on the other which I estimate at 100 calories for the container) and at 4:00pm I have oatmeal(2 packs maple and brown sugar), 2 eggs and one piece of white toast. Calculated my calories end up between 900-1000 though I like to overestimate just in case with the watermelon and say it's like 1100.

Is this okay for week day diet? I need to work on weekend meal because I generally cheat on Saturday and do about 1300 calories from junk and Sundays I might do that again or avoid it. My defecit is 1400 apparently and I'm 5'6 female.

Do you exercise a lot? is your TDEE 2500?

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I am having great results lately with intermittent fasting. Each day I try to only eat within a 4-5-hour window. I am mostly not hungry during the interim, just like on keto.

r/intermittentfasting is a good resource for whys and hows.

I'm going to try a water fast in the medium-term future to see if I notice the autophagy benefits.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Right now I'm not excorsing since my work schedule was a bit hectic(office job) so it's all diet focused for me. I plan to add some cardio in soon but at the moment nothing.

My calculation for TDEE said 2000.

I'm a bit confused, how do you get a deficit of 1400 from an intake of 900-1100 when your TDEE is 2000. For 1400 you'd have to be doing 600 calories a day which is dangerously low.

Oct 25, 2017
By the way -- This was my progress over the last few months. Didn't get a real DEXA (Body Fat Scan) until early August

I'm 35 (36 in 3 weeks), 5'11 and weigh about 148lbs. (First pic I was 158)

EHr8CpQVUAAJNtQ.jpg

Pretty happy with the results so far. Over 35 and it is still possible, I promise :)

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit confused, how do you get a deficit of 1400 from an intake of 900-1100 when your TDEE is 2000. For 1400 you'd have to be doing 600 calories a day which is dangerously low.
I think I screwed up my calculations lol

It says I can have 1420 calories in a day to lose weight and when I just calculated my TDEE again I got 1780. I'm consuming between 900-1000 per day which is under my daily calorie intake of 1420.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its mostly a bunch of nonsense and misunderstanding why it works.

The diet Ive been on since weight loss surgery has basically been a keto diet and I'm down 150 since February. I use to think it was just a fad too but there is something to it. Carbs are really bad, protein good basically. Don't pay too much attention to calorie count.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
By the way -- This was my progress over the last few months. Didn't get a real DEXA (Body Fat Scan) until early August

I'm 35 (36 in 3 weeks), 5'11 and weigh about 148lbs. (First pic I was 158)

EHr8CpQVUAAJNtQ.jpg

Pretty happy with the results so far. Over 35 and it is still possible, I promise :)

Great work! I hover around phase 3 on the TurtleSnatcher barometer. I got to phase 4 for a bit but found it really tough to maintain. I bet the weight difference between the two is less than 10lbs as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Great work! I hover around phase 3 on the TurtleSnatcher barometer. I got to phase 4 for a bit but found it really tough to maintain. I bet the weight difference between the two is less than 10lbs as well.

Haha thanks! Phase 1 was 158lbs. Phase 4 is 148lbs. Phase 3 is like 150.2lbs. Not a huge difference but just shows that fat can fall off from anywhere and muscle can add to the weight and help you maintain :P

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
For everyone saying cut carbs, what is the rationale behind that?
For me, it's basically cut back on starchy foods. Basically, if you eat 100 grams of pasta or bread that's almost 400 calories of fast absorption carbs. Those foods are very calorie dense. If you swap those for vegetables, you will feel the same satiation but eat fewer calories, and the carbs will be of slower absorption.

Other people will talk of keto and things like that, for me it's simply reducing calories while being satiated.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Haha thanks! Phase 1 was 158lbs. Phase 4 is 148lbs. Phase 3 is like 150.2lbs. Not a huge difference but just shows that fat can fall off from anywhere and muscle can add to the weight and help you maintain :P

Dang the difference is even less than I though. I am 6'3 and looked very thin when I was 190lbs back in my 20's. I am around 200lbs but would love to get back in Phase 4 permanently.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
I drink GNC lean shakes and try to eat salad 5 times a week. I drink water and lots of hot tea (with little to no sugar) I vary between a keto mix and just not eating much carbs.

Also staying active helps but fuck I hate doing dedicated exercising routines

Oct 28, 2017
I drink GNC lean shakes and try to eat salad 5 times a week. I drink water and lots of hot tea (with little to no sugar) I vary between a keto mix and just not eating much carbs.

Also staying active helps but fuck I hate doing dedicated exercising routines

Doesn't that defeat the point of a keto diet? If you're just randomly eating carbs, your body is never going to enter ketosis.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
good for you i guess?

i want something thats easy, accurate but im not willing to pay for it!

From what she showed us it has loads of restaurants on there that show the points of different meals. Even when we cooked together, she said things were X points, like quarter lb of ground beef is more points than quarter lb of ground turkey.

Its also the only thing my wife will recommend her patients, other than a certified dietician.

Well yeah, I'm poor so I'd only be willing to pay for something like this if I was convinced it would work for me.

I feel like these sort of things work better for people the more 'normally' they eat, I'm vegetarian and eat a lot of meat substitutes and stuff that tend not to have default listings, though with the current veganism boom they're probably getting better for that.

Oct 25, 2017
i'm so glad i've made this thread. Made me realise that my weekends are fucking me over. I've never bothered to sit down and calculate the amount of calories i'm taking in over a weekend. I'n my head i thought that i live really well on the week days by exercising and eating well (bar the odd slice of toast and the daily kitkat) that i could afford a few drinks and some chocolate on the weekend. When you add the calories up its a huge amount. One poster saying that its like the equivalent of an extra 300 a day has been an eye opener.

I think i've crossed one barrier which is making exercise a routine. I genuinely loving running, cycling not so much but i do that as part of my commute so its a win win. Mentally i feel great. I just need to make these adjustments on the weekend. Its going to be hard.
Losing mid body pudge is never easy. (Doing that now)

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
Fat can be a humans primary energy source if they don't eat carbs. or something
e: for more context it's about maximizing the time your body spends in ketosis. Diabetics need to do this.

Please do not say that people with a medical condition need to follow a very physiologically changing diet like this. If you're type 1, keto might be outright dangerous. There's the same risk with type 2, albeit a much lower risk. Blanketed statements like this is never OK.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I am almost 32 and since summer last year I changed my diet by cutting back on sugar and salt. I went from about 200lbs to now sitting around 175lbs. My exercise amount has been about the same with maybe a slight increase since before changing my diet. This goes to show that diet is way more important to losing weight than exercise.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Please do not say that people with a medical condition need to follow a very physiologically changing diet like this. If you're type 1, keto might be outright dangerous. There's the same risk with type 2, albeit a much lower risk. Blanketed statements like this is never OK.
I'm not a doctor recommending shit. That edit was made because there are posters here who think that kind of diet is a fake fad. If you need to do keto a doctor will tell you to do it.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a doctor recommending shit. That edit was made because there are posters here who think that kind of diet is a fake fad. If you need to do keto a doctor will tell you to do it.

That is completely irrelevant. No matter who you are, you should never say something like that. Stop backpedaling.

Jun 10, 2018
1. Fasting, start with IF 16:8, later OMAD, it's always always always work.
Water fast, artificial sweeteners drink like coke zero was ok for me but many avoid it, up to you.

2. Cut all the carbs, if want sweet use sweetener like sucralose. This is important really much, you will crave for it like weeks or a month but when if go away and it will you will have an enlightenment.

3 Do resistance training some time.

I help dozen of people lose weight easy with these method, do one or two first, fasting and cut alll the sugar are the recommend, no need keto, just treat carbs as enemies of your family.

Good luck.
Keto is essentially the cutting of carbs so you're recommending the same thing.

Also yes, treat sugars and processed wheats/flours as your enemy. Our bodies are simply not designed to invest the copious amounts of it we eat.

Jun 10, 2018
one slice of bread is like 110 calories. It was 100% not the bread.
Processed carbs are treated no differently than alcohol, and when digested stimulate insulin which can turn off your TCA (or fat burning) in favor of storage.

So yeah, for a person who has gone an extended period without sugar or processed carbs and is STILL in the middle of losing weight, 1 slice of bread can really be the difference.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Processed carbs are treated no differently than alcohol, and when digested stimulate insulin which can turn off your TCA (or fat burning) in favor of storage.

So yeah, for a person who has gone an extended period without sugar or processed carbs and is STILL in the middle of losing weight, 1 slice of bread can really be the difference.
Glycolysis and TCA is stimulated by insulin and food. Gluconeogenesis is what is gonna burn fat and is promoted by low blood glucose levels.

Jun 10, 2018
Glycolysis and TCA is stimulated by insulin and food. Gluconeogenesis is what is gonna burn fat and is promoted by low blood glucose levels.
I'm not talking about food in a general sense. I'm specifically pointing out a high glycemic item like white bread and how during digestion the body will not use all of the glucose created from it's breakdown. The excess of this unused energy, which can't be put away as glycogen if those reserves are full, is stored as fat during a process called De novo lipogenesis. And it is during this storing of fat, that the TCA cycle is shut down precisely because the body is in the process of storing fat instead of burning it.

The only known way you can avoid this is the oft known carb load method partaken by many world class athletes, in which you eat a whole bunch only to burn them off during the prime sporting event. Most people aren't world class athletes however, and they are exceeding quite abundantly the amount of glucose they can use and store sometimes in ONE MEAL, let alone over the course of a day and then a week.

Oct 25, 2017
Keto isn't for everyone. I do recommend consulting with others that actually are nutritionists, doctors, etc before going on it. It works for some but has the worst boomerang effect on people who have no clue what they are doing or doing ease their way off of it into a more normal program. It's also a bit hard to do for most people as you are literally taking carbs to 5% or less of your daily macros. This causes people to give up or absolutely dread it.

There is just a lot of generalization in this thread that keto and low carb is what you MUST do and I will say that isn't true at all. Consult with experts and find the best method for you :)

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most recent meta analysis about Intermittent fasting says that it's not superior to regular ole caloric deficit for weightloss but it still improves your blood markers and is probably better for targeting body fat.

Key here is that still needs to be a caloric deficit whether you are fasting or not. 90%+++ of any body weight manipulation is down to diet and calories.

Last edited:

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's definitely hard, but not impossible. I just turned 40 this summer, but I weighed 180lbs last year. I'm down to 134lbs now. I'm a short guy, so I should not have been that heavy, but I didn't really notice how much weight I had gained until I had compared an older picture with a more recent one later in the year after I had started

Most of it was a change in diet. I cut back significantly on fried foods and sugar, cut out fast food completely, watched the portions I was consuming, would do some light cardio and weights roughly 4-5 times a week, and just overall tried to stay active. The biggest contributor was my change in diet. I was eating incredibly unhealthily last year, and once that changed, the weight loss followed, then I supplemented the diet change with some exercise regularly.

If you were interested in a comparison, here's a before and after of me. The first pic was around February 2018, the second was about April 2019, and the third is the most recent weight loss update I've done, so September 2019:

Just try not to get discouraged and disheartened. If this 40 year old can do it, I'm 100% sure you can too!

Last edited:

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Echoing what others have said in here - count your calories. Get a calorie counter on your phone and use it every day for every meal and snack, no matter what.

At 45 I did this and dropped from 232 down to 180 in a few months. I also went off sugary drinks 100%.

Keep up the exercise, for sure, as that is making you healthier, but calorie counting works.
Somebody recommend me a calorie tracker for Android, I started using 'hiki calorie counter' and balked when it wanted me to pay a monthly subscription to use more than 10 "recipes"
Like I don't mind spending $5 on a pro version but I ain't gonna pay a monthly fee

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
The very best advice is to be consistent.
Do not think that just because you're doing your thing for the past 10 weeks means anything in the long run.
Any progress you made during that time is easily reversible by stopping your rhythm and going back to what your previous way of life.

Motivation will only get you so far, so your consistency basically needs to turn into a habit like waking up and brushing your teeth.
Remember, be consistent.

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody recommend me a calorie tracker for Android, I started using 'hiki calorie counter' and balked when it wanted me to pay a monthly subscription to use more than 10 "recipes"
Like I don't mind spending $5 on a pro version but I ain't gonna pay a monthly fee
I just use MyFitnessPal. It's free. Can scan barcodes, can add my own stuff and it saves it. Sometimes barcodes and nutrition labels are updated so you have to re-add them for the correct info but it takes like 30-45 secs to do that.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
The diet Ive been on since weight loss surgery has basically been a keto diet and I'm down 150 since February. I use to think it was just a fad too but there is something to it. Carbs are really bad, protein good basically. Don't pay too much attention to calorie count.

It's not that it's a fad it's exactly what youre saying though. Carbs are really bad? Nah that's not universally true at all. A lot of people think 2 things about keto- 1. You drop weight faster at the same deficit (false), and 2. You can eat as much as you want on keto! ( Also false). As I've said numerous times in the thread, keto is calorie restriction by cutting out sugars and also carbs which tend to be more calorie dense. On keto you're eating things that are generally low calorie which is why you're losing weight. If you eat a keto diet at a surplus you will absolutely gain weight. Almost always, when I hear people talk about keto, I hear "you can eat as much as you want!". Sorry that's not true at all, our bodies don't work that way.

Yes it is, which is why I said "mostly" nonsense and misunderstanding of how it works. You're losing weight through a deficit. I understand how ketosis works, but at the end of the day your losing weight because of the caloric deficit.

Last edited:

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
"I can't lose weight but also drinking 8 pints of beer + unspecified chocolate"

Sounds like my girlfriend sometimes who goes all surprisedpikachu after eating "just one slice of pizza and one slice of cake and one serving of pasta and…"

Like, cmon, be honest with yourself and actually count calories, i'm almost 40 (sigh) and i have no problems dropping weight, just need to drop that toxic "i deserve a treat" mentality.

Deleted member 20202

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
44 and just dropped 28lbs in 2 months on Keto.

I don't even consider it a diet and it pretty simple to make it a lifestyle change. Though I just had my first cheat day and had beer and carbs last night for the first time in 2 months.

Feel shitty today. So back to no carbs.

Just to confirm its quite hard to hit anything but a calorie deficit when you just eat Fats and protein hence the weight loss.

Last edited:

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
all these people in here wanting such low weights...
I'm 5'11 and I'd be perfectly happy if I could get to 185.
I was on my way then got married and a bunch of other nonsense excuses and now I'm up at 227.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
44 and just dropped 28lbs in 2 months on Keto.

I don't even consider it a diet and it pretty simple to make it a lifestyle change. Though I just had my first chest day and had beer and carbs last night for the first time in 2 months.

Feel shitty today. So back to no carbs.

Just to confirm its quite hard to hit anything but a calorie deficit when you just eat Fats and protein hence the weight loss.

Bingo! I'm sure it's much easier to build up a database of low/no carb options rather than individually counting calories based on a million different variables. Keto simplifies the calorie counting process and it's also good to keep your protein up for muscle gain.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I have just about zero alcohol these days. Previously I'd have a beer socially with friends, but now I just have water. And I literally only have a beer if I'm by myself watching football (the round one), because football and beer is great!

For dinner, I try to reduce my portions, and if I'm hungry late, I have a cup of tea. I don't think its helped all that much, but it feels good to reduce consumption.

I'm 5'5", 158lbs. By BMI standards I'm overweight - 25.8 :/

Last edited:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is another reminder that I hate the dogmatism regarding CICO. If Krejlooc ate enough bread to be kicked out of ketosis (probably pretty easy given all the garbage that's added to American bread) it might take him a few days to get back into ketosis and fat adapted again. Like if CICO worked for you then I am delighted but for some people what they eat is as important as how much they eat and that needs to be respected.