• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Possibly, I've just never lost weight like this on "low-calorie" diets. Hard to know because we've never paid the "calories" attention so far. I've done them before, and lost a lot with vigorous workouts...but it's so hard to maintain. I think I could maintain this. We cheat once on Saturdays when we go on dates.

I'm basically barely trying and losing weight, where as with my "low-calorie" diets it was a struggle when I was only focused on calories and not the food itself.

Take a look at your chicken and broccoli/cauliflower dinner. Outside of the cheese, you're not talking a lot of calories, and it's very filling. Imagine it was chicken parm and spaghetti instead. Both have cheese, so that's a wash. A shit ton more calories in the pasta vs. the broccoli/cauliflower. The sauce undoubtedly has more calories than the broth. The chicken in the chicken parm is breaded and fried, so it has more calories than your chicken.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
Once you lock in on exactly how many calories are in certain meals, counting calories gets a lot easier. When I lost 50 lbs I used my fitness pal and after a month I had most of the meals I ate saved, and it was relatively easy to log entire weeks at a time.

I can't say how much it helped just replacing my unhealthy lunches with a salad and cottage cheese. Of all the changes to my diet, that was the biggest difference maker. Just having one or two meals a day that you can bank on being a certain amount of calories makes the process SO much easier.

When it came to exercise, it's really important to find something that you enjoy, because weight loss is all about transforming your lifestyle which means finding sustainable methods of weight loss. Don't rely on running for weight loss if you can't run inside in the winter, if you hate lifting weights, don't lift weights, etc. If you find something you really enjoy, it really helps with compliance in the diet. Which, as other have noted, is the lynchpin.

Weight loss for me is kind of like keeping a budget. If I don't go into each day with a plan, I'm a lot more likely to slip up. Take five minutes every day to plan out meals, make sure you have the groceries you need, and think ahead whenever possible.

oh yeah, and you should probably drink more water than you currently are. It helps a ton.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
What do you guys say about microwave meals under 400 calories as a way to diet without really thinking too hard? I'm talking about the good stuff too, not garbage TV dinner type stuff.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
The average man's diet is 2500 calories a day according to google. To reduce calories would mean making it 2000 calories a day. Or 20%?

Yup that's the best way to look at it. If your maintenance is 2500 and you knock down to 2000, plus mix in a half hour+ of intense cardio and some weight lifting, you should be able to burn roughly 2 pounds a week. Easiest way to think of it is every 500 calories you slash is a pound a week.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys say about microwave meals under 400 calories as a way to diet without really thinking too hard? I'm talking about the good stuff too, not garbage TV dinner type stuff.
There are no "good stuff" microwave meals. Checking your calorie intake is important. Not eating crap is important too.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Take a look at your chicken and broccoli/cauliflower dinner. Outside of the cheese, you're not talking a lot of calories, and it's very filling. Imagine it was chicken parm and spaghetti instead. Both have cheese, so that's a wash. A shit ton more calories in the pasta vs. the broccoli/cauliflower. The sauce undoubtedly has more calories than the broth. The chicken in the chicken parm is breaded and fried, so it has more calories than your chicken.

Makes sense. Sugar/Carbs = Calories

I think the approach just makes it easier. I use to stare down "calories" on packages and do math. Now I just look quickly for 0 Carbs or very low carbs and go.

I really do suggest people focus more on carbs if they want to make it "easy". Process wise, it makes things far simpler. Eat a burger, but without bread. Eat a steak, eat cheese, eat veggies, etc. It makes it simple

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

I think the approach just makes it easier. I use to stare down "calories" on packages and do math. Now I just look quickly for 0 Carbs or very low carbs and go.

I really do suggest people focus more on carbs if they want to make it "easy". Process wise, it makes things far simpler. Eat a burger, but without bread. Eat a steak, eat cheese, eat veggies, etc. It makes it simple

Eating cheese is very dangerous for calorie sake. Yeah a slice melted over something is fine, but if you're snacking on cheese you can rack in caloriesquick.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
lots of those microwave meals have a bunch of fillers or sodium is high on it. even if they are "healthy" labeled. probably just take one day out of the week to prep food.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

It's definitely the most appealing diet. Steak, salami, and cheese are far more appealing than baked, poached, and broiled chicken breasts. Makes it a hell of a lot easier to stick to.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Yup that's the best way to look at it. If your maintenance is 2500 and you knock down to 2000, plus mix in a half hour+ of intense cardio and some weight lifting, you should be able to burn roughly 2 pounds a week. Easiest way to think of it is every 500 calories you slash is a pound a week.

Cool, thanks. :) I've gone from being on the low end of the oveweight range to the high end of the overweight range on this BMI scale: https://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/Images/body-mass-index-chart.gif

Looks like to get back to where I was would be 8 weeks of consistency. And to get to green would be 9-10.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
We've not had to count/watch calories at all. I eat whatever I want and don't cross the 50grams of Carbs a day line (technically that would be "low-carb" and not "Keto").

I had two steaks (lol), unsweetened Almond milk (with vanilla), and a glass of no-calorie/no-carb "sweet tea" last night. Night before it was cheese covered broccoli and cauliflower rice, with chopped chicken breast, and a carb free gravy/broth on it. Stuff was insanely good. Also had bacon, salami, egg, and swiss cheese wraps (no bread) for lunch the same day. At the end of those 48 hours I was down another pound.

I'm eating some swiss cheese, salami, and left-over steak for lunch. 🤷‍♂️, probably will be down another pound tonight too.

We're probably eating "less", but the calorie count really hasn't changed...heck it may be worse, IDK. Cutting sugar/carbs has worked well.

I'm about to turn 37 and my wife is 32. We both work 12 hour days typically, and don't have time to exercise. So our weight loss has been without any extra physical activity. I've also just been stuck behind a desk here lately. That's probably why she has lost 20lbs and I've only lost 10 in the same month.

I do agree with OP that losing weight in my 30s has been a PAIN.

I've lost about 8 pounds in 5 weeks on keto (carb count approx 20g a day). No exercise or anything. Not overweight but wanted to attack this belly that started to form. It's not for everyone but it definitely works. Clothes feel looser and down a notch on the old belt. Only going to do it for another couple of weeks.

Op, if your up for it, give it a go. What have you got to lose (apart from flab!)

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
The average man's diet is 2500 calories a day according to google. To reduce calories would mean making it 2000 calories a day. Or 20%?

If 2500 is your maintenance calories then yes, but 2500 is actually for a pretty big guy.

For example if I calculate TDEE for a 6'0" person you'd have to be 225 pounds to get 2500. That's obese.

The average height in the US is 5'9". To be a healthy bodyweight you'd want to be around 170 pounds. Maintenance calories at that weight is 2,126. So if you're heavier and want to go down you probably want to go further than just 2000.

Obviously not taking into account if you have a good amount of muscle, etc. This also depends on how sedentary you are. I'm calculating on being pretty lethargic through the day. Obviously if you have a fast paced moving job then sure you can move that upwards.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
If 2500 is your maintenance calories then yes, but 2500 is actually for a pretty big guy.

For example if I calculate TDEE for a 6'0" person you'd have to be 225 pounds to get 2500. That's obese.

The average height in the US is 5'9". To be a healthy bodyweight you'd want to be around 170 pounds. Maintenance calories at that weight is 2,126. So if you're heavier and want to go down you probably want to go further than just 2000.

Obviously not taking into account if you have a good amount of muscle, etc. This also depends on how sedentary you are. I'm calculating on being pretty lethargic through the day. Obviously if you have a fast paced moving job then sure you can move that upwards.

I'm actually even smaller, 5'3''. So I've gone from ~140 to ~160 in a few years.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

yeah 2500 at 225 is for a sedentary person. If you're moderately active 2500 isn't super high at 6'.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
yeah 2500 at 225 is for a sedentary person. If you're moderately active 2500 isn't super high at 6'.

Personally when talking about losing weight I always calculate on being sedentary because if you're wrong that's just a bonus. If you over estimate how much you move in the day then that's just gonna make it harder. And a lot of jobs nowadays are really sedentary. If you're in an office chair and driving into work for like 9 hours a day there isn't a lot you can do to balance that in a huge way.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Personally when talking about losing weight I always calculate on being sedentary because if you're wrong that's just a bonus. If you over estimate how much you move in the day then that's just gonna make it harder. And a lot of jobs nowadays are really sedentary. If you're in an office chair and driving into work for like 9 hours a day there isn't a lot you can do to balance that in a huge way.

That's fair, but also risky. You should look into calculating your basal metabolic rate rather than TDEE in that case.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
That's fair, but also risky. You should look into calculating your basal metabolic rate rather than TDEE in that case.

Yeah when I was losing weight I was actually using BMR directly.

I wanted to hit things hard so my strategy was to figure out my BMR and beat that by about ~500 calories plus exercise on top of that. And also overestimate anything I didn't quite know by about 30% when inputting into the app.

I still somehow managed to have cake and pizza and all sorts of shit while losing 100 pounds over about 6 months.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm about your age OP, middle of September i was 237 pounds, weighed myself today again and I'm 221 pounds! No exercise, doing intermittent fasting, i eat from 7am to 3pm every day, normal breakfast, big lunch, just water the rest of the day. I also cut sodas completely out of my diet.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
There are no "good stuff" microwave meals. Checking your calorie intake is important. Not eating crap is important too.
Those microwavable vegetables are the best. Seriously, often better than cooking them yourself as they're flash frozen immediately after picking. Add a little butter and pepper *boom* good microwave meal.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Here's another question, so long as they are zero calories and you aren't letting the snack cravings get to you, is drinking carbonated zero calorie drinks like La Croix or even a Coke Zero okay?

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
I've lost 35 pounds since April, and the thing that did it was replacing soda with seltzer water, calorie counting, and allowing myself to eat out at times, but only buying the smallest portions of things on the menu. Like, I'll get taco bell once every week or two when I feel like I need it, but I'll just get one thing off of the menu instead of 3 like I used to. Also, I started making more spicy food to force myself to eat slower, and over time my body just recognized when it was "done" eating a meal before I felt super full.

Fighting that "full" feeling has been a gigantic challenge for me, since I was definitely raised to be a "finish everything on your plate" person. I used to feel pretty bloated and bad after most meals, since I was essentially overeating every time I made or bought food. I'd definitely advocate for calorie counting. A pint of beer on my calorie tracker is like 300 calories for the IPAs I like, and if you have 8 a weekend, that's enough to completely throw off any progress during the week.

This is also coming from someone who has a heart disease that prevents strenuous exercise. I have a desk job, though I do spend most evenings at rehearsal for theater stuff which provides some moderate exercise. It's all about the diet, IMO.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I really wish there was an easy and accurate way to track my calorie intake. It would take me about an hour a day to attempt to correctly input all the things I eat into MyFitnessPal.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I really wish there was an easy and accurate way to track my calorie intake. It would take me about an hour a day to attempt to correctly input all the things I eat into MyFitnessPal.

I honestly find those trackers make it way worse. The best I've found is keeping a small notepad or keeping a note on my phone that I add a rough estimate of what I ate. It sucks not all things are calculated for you, but it's worth the effort.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Weight loss is 90+% diet, no need to go crazy with exercise.

The most simple and effective way is to simply consume less calories per day than what you need to maintain your current weight.

Consume less calories every day and you will lose weight. It just takes will power.

I've lost 120 or so the past 2.5 years. Never did anything out of the ordinary, The times periods where I would do more "movement" (life, yard work, etc) I would see an uptick in weight loss, but you by no means have to go to the Gym 3 times a week, etc. Though, it does HELP, but I was the type that if I went into it knowing I had to do this or that, I would just revert back to my old ways eventually. This time I around, I just changed the diet and have been holding strong since.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

I don't see how this is possible unless you're eating wildly different every single day. Even then that's way overestimating the work if you have a food scale. After a while of doing things you'll have meals saved and can throw them in really quickly.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I've lost 120 or so the past 2.5 years. Never did anything out of the ordinary, The times periods where I would do more "movement" (life, yard work, etc) I would see an uptick in weight loss, but you by no means have to go to the Gym 3 times a week, etc. Though, it does HELP, but I was the type that if I went into it knowing I had to do this or that, I would just revert back to my old ways eventually. This time I around, I just changed the diet and have been holding strong since.

My cousin is currently on a similar yo yo cycle to what I used to be and I'm tryin gto break him away from that. That being said he gains and loses around 50 pounds a year where he diets for a few months and eats whatever he wants the rest of the year. He never does any form of cardio or weight lifting at all, he's one of the most sedentary people I know. He still loses the weight. What I try to sell to him though, is lets say he does a 20 week diet. If he just did cardio a few times a week, he'd have burned 15 more pounds by the end of the diet, or he could end his diet weeks earlier.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I'm 36 and just lost over 100 pounds this year. But I exercise an hour every day so I don't have to worry about eating and drinking so much. Hell yes it was hard at first. It gets easier. If you live a busy life, having access to something like a treadmill can help. You can try and squeeze in a 30 min workout before or after work.

Reading the OP more it seems like you do workout a fair amount. In the end you have to weigh things. If you're not gaining weight and can live healthy the workouts all the time might not be worth it. Also, strength training seems more like what you should focus on as opposed to cardio.

Nov 9, 2017
CICO is always the way to lose weight and getting older does not change that. I do, however, think getting older does make all of your fat seem to gather/settle in your belly and ass and getting those areas back to normal is harder work than if you were younger.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Remember it's 80% diet, 20% exercise. Exercise doesn't really touch the sides unless you're a training to be athlete or something.

Also note that doing cardio isn't super useful unless you do strength/weight training, too. Strength training means you have bigger muscles - which means you burn more energy even just doing simple things.

Diet-wise, try an experiment like not drinking beer (drink something lighter instead) or cutting bread out of your diet (use rice cakes or rye crackers instead)

You'll be amazed what remove one high calorie/carb foodstuff from your diet can do.

My uncle-in-law who is 47 went from being a big guy with a serious belly to being a tall lean guy entirely by cutting out beer.

This guy knows whats up. You wanna use sports to lose weight faster? Lift. Bigger muscles require more food. Worked great in my case :)

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Those microwavable vegetables are the best. Seriously, often better than cooking them yourself as they're flash frozen immediately after picking. Add a little butter and pepper *boom* good microwave meal.
I guess there are specific ingredients that are good for microwaves (hooray for popcorn!), but whole instant-meals are usually filled with flavor enhancers, perservatives, too much salt / sugar and so on. There are very bad, cheap and trashy instant-meals for the microwave and others that are "just" bad. I don't think that there is a single instant-meal for the microwave that would count as healthy or that you should focus a diet on.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
whats the best way to diet for a picky eater?

im in the same boat as OP where im 35 and need/want to lose weight but everything i try i get bored of whether its trying to exercise or diet

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What has worked for me, and what I think a lot of people should do, is eat more fiber, like a LOT more. Oatmeal, wheat bread, stuff like that. It really helps you feel full longer and makes those awful hunger pains go away.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
My cousin is currently on a similar yo yo cycle to what I used to be and I'm tryin gto break him away from that. That being said he gains and loses around 50 pounds a year where he diets for a few months and eats whatever he wants the rest of the year. He never does any form of cardio or weight lifting at all, he's one of the most sedentary people I know. He still loses the weight. What I try to sell to him though, is lets say he does a 20 week diet. If he just did cardio a few times a week, he'd have burned 15 more pounds by the end of the diet, or he could end his diet weeks earlier.

Main problem is, if he does get down to his "normal" weight, or a "goal weight", and if he doesn't have the discipline to maintain that weight, then why even bother with trying the diet? It s a life style change. I've slowly added back in "treats" but basically I gave up a ton of stuff to make the maintaining part work. I still have a ways to go, but I am confident that I will reach where I want to because I know I have the discipline now. Doing it Keto was also helpful because it meant my system lost the feeling of sugar. It was hard for me to diet will still taking in carbs of any kind. 120 pounds in 2.5 years isn't that fast. Some people lose 120 in a year. But I don't care. croping the weight hella fast then just going back to who you were will just catch up to you. Unfortunately I had to get rid of things I eat that I love, but that doesn't mean every once in a while I can't still have it.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
try weight watchers? it just assigned a point value to all your food and it's easy to scan stuff so you know how much it's worth.

How do you assign points to food though? Scan what, pre-packaged foods with barcodes?

What if you make your own meals?
To accurately find out the calorie intake you would have to measure the amount of each ingredient, find out how many calories X amount of that ingredient is, tally it all up, then divide it by your portion size. That is a huge effort.
I know MyFitnessPal has preset meals like 'mushroom risotto' but given that the presets are extremely unlikely to be the exact recipe and amount as whatever you've actually consumed, it's likely that the sum total of your daily calories could be significantly inaccurate.

Even just the first meal I had today - muesli, simple enough right?
I type that in MFP and hundreds of options come up - ranging from 80 to 500 calories.
I didn't have a brand though, I made my own large batch with a base and then added dried fruits, nuts, seeds and protein powder in varying quantities.
I don't know precisely how much I ate, I just filled a bowl, no idea how many grams or cups it was.
It's tempting to just pick one and think 'close enough' but it could be hundreds of calories out, so what's the point?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Main problem is, if he does get down to his "normal" weight, or a "goal weight", and if he doesn't have the discipline to maintain that weight, then why even bother with trying the diet? It s a life style change. I've slowly added back in "treats" but basically I gave up a ton of stuff to make the maintaining part work. I still have a ways to go, but I am confident that I will reach where I want to because I know I have the discipline now. Doing it Keto was also helpful because it meant my system lost the feeling of sugar. It was hard for me to diet will still taking in carbs of any kind. 120 pounds in 2.5 years isn't that fast. Some people lose 120 in a year. But I don't care. croping the weight hella fast then just going back to who you were will just catch up to you. Unfortunately I had to get rid of things I eat that I love, but that doesn't mean every once in a while I can't still have it.

I totally agree, but he says he'd rather be fat and happy. The thing that concerns me is his fathers history of heart issues and clogged arteries, especially given how healthy he was prior to passing :/

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I don't see how this is possible unless you're eating wildly different every single day. Even then that's way overestimating the work if you have a food scale. After a while of doing things you'll have meals saved and can throw them in really quickly.

Yeah, I eat a fairly varied diet. Breakfast consists of one of a few things usually so I entered those, but lunch and dinner vary a lot.
I don't have a food scale, and find it hard to find time to cook these days. What if you grab something from a street food stall or a restaurant, how would you measure the calories in that? There's just no way of being precise about it which makes it all feel kinda futile to me.

Come on technology, hurry up and invent some sort of chip I can install in my throat to record and analyse everything I consume!

Oct 27, 2017
How do you assign points to food though? Scan what, pre-packaged foods with barcodes?

What if you make your own meals?
To accurately find out the calorie intake you would have to measure the amount of each ingredient, find out how many calories X amount of that ingredient is, tally it all up, then divide it by your portion size. That is a huge effort.
I know MyFitnessPal has preset meals like 'mushroom risotto' but given that the presets are extremely unlikely to be the exact recipe and amount as whatever you've actually consumed, it's likely that the sum total of your daily calories could be significantly inaccurate.

Even just the first meal I had today - muesli, simple enough right?
I type that in MFP and hundreds of options come up - ranging from 80 to 500 calories.
I didn't have a brand though, I made my own large batch with a base and then added dried fruits, nuts, seeds and protein powder in varying quantities.
I don't know precisely how much I ate, I just filled a bowl, no idea how many grams or cups it was.
It's tempting to just pick one and think 'close enough' but it could be hundreds of calories out, so what's the point?

Weight Watchers has pre-assigned points to food items. So if you eat some chicken, you search for the kind (chicken breast, thigh, etc) and tell it how much you ate and it assigns it a point value. If it's prepackaged stuff with a barcode, you can scan the barcode and it'll tell you how many points it is. When you sign up you tell it what your goal is and your current height and weight and it assigns a daily point value. Your goal would be to stay within the point value so you aren't overeating, or stick below if you want to lose weight.

You can also build your own meals based on calories and stuff but I never used that. I generally eyeball it because the differences aren't that dramatic. But you can get specific with measurements, add a bunch of items to a meal and then pre-save it so next time you can just search for it again without having to do all the manual work.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
What can you eat that doesn't have sugar and actually have some semblance of taste? (I hate salads and need to lose 15 lbs)

Oct 25, 2017
So i'm making this thread as i'm looking for tips and help as I feel like i must be doing something wrong. So for the last 10 weeks or so i've been trying to get into shape. I'm 36, 12.5 stone (175 pounds) and around 5 10 in height. So i'm not over weight by any stretch. I was starting to get a little podgy around the middle so i wanted to do something about it. For the past 10 weeks I've ran 3 days in a week for around 3.5 - 4 miles doing a mile every 9.2.min roughly. I also cycle once a week for about 23 miles. I'm also doing intermittent fasting. I tend to exercise in the morning around 11ish then have my fist meal of the day after that at lunch time. I make sure i don't eat anything past 7pm. On the weekend i don't do any IF and i'll have a drink and a couple of treats.

So after 10 weeks i weigh the same, which i'm not overly concerned with as this process isn't about losing weight, but i look exactly the same. I've lost zero from my waist and my podgy belly that i'm trying to lose is still exactly the same. The only place i could be going wrong is on a weekend. I really don't want to have to change my weekends treats, but if all this exercise i'm doing now is simply maintaining my weight due to my over indulging on a weekend then i'll have to make changes there.

At 36 is there any room to indulge is you want to stay slim?

I'm 35. 36 in less than a month.

We have similar stats. I was a little lighter than you. I'm 5'11" and 158lbs. I've lost 10lbs in the last 3 months and I've gone from 25% body fat to 18.2% body fat in 2 months. You can do it.

It really is about Calories In. Calories Out. Also doing some exercise can help but diet is everything.

Your age isn't related to the rate you lose weight at.

This but should caveat that as you get older, your RMR will decrease thus meaning that if you eat the same amount of food a day at 35 as you did at 21, you will gain weight.

One mistake the OP is making is skipping an early morning meal. Eat a small breakfast (I eat a banana myself) to kick start your metabolism. You will lose more weight by eating, basically.
Just don't be the person who eats a big ass greasy hash brown, sausage and egg breakfast. That's not what I'm talking about.

The whole metabolism kickstart thing is such a nonfactor. Just factor in CICO (Calories In, Calories Out).

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I totally agree, but he says he'd rather be fat and happy. The thing that concerns me is his fathers history of heart issues and clogged arteries, especially given how healthy he was prior to passing :/

It is going to have to be his idea then. Who buys his food?

As I mentioned up there, carbs caused me to continuously be hungry and as a result I would eat too much, too often. I felt like I had to because I was hungry. You are supposed to eat when you are hungry, right? So I would tell myself, well I'm hungry, so it is okay. I would literally have 800 calories in the morning then 4 hours later my stomach was going ape shit with hunger pains. Hungry? I'm supposed to eat. So that made me fat and happy.

It might be a situation though that he only increases his food intake and he just keeps gaining. That's basically what happened to me.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I eat a fairly varied diet. Breakfast consists of one of a few things usually so I entered those, but lunch and dinner vary a lot.
I don't have a food scale, and find it hard to find time to cook these days. What if you grab something from a street food stall or a restaurant, how would you measure the calories in that? There's just no way of being precise about it which makes it all feel kinda futile to me.

Come on technology, hurry up and invent some sort of chip I can install in my throat to record and analyse everything I consume!

A lot of places are required to post calories, so it's really not too hard. Yes there are some local restaurants where you don't know, but I personally overestimated those and really you shouldn't be going out that much that it'd swing things wildly like that. You can usually find something equivalent. And after a while you know what's going on if you're doing it well.

Nothing is ever going to be 100% precise, I guess until you microchip yourself because there's just a lot to account for. But once you get going it gets so easy to just pop it into the app.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
I guess there are specific ingredients that are good for microwaves (hooray for popcorn!), but whole instant-meals are usually filled with flavor enhancers, perservatives, too much salt / sugar and so on. There are very bad, cheap and trashy instant-meals for the microwave and others that are "just" bad. I don't think that there is a single instant-meal for the microwave that would count as healthy or that you should focus a diet on.
I don't eat them, but looking at some of the 'healthy' microwavable meals, they don't look too bad. Probably doable in a pinch, but no, I wouldn't focus a diet around them.

Healthy Choice Power Bowls Italian-Style Chicken Sausage & Peppers

COOKED ITALIAN CHICKEN SAUSAGE (CHICKEN THIGH, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SUGAR, SPICES, DEHYDRATED RED BELL PEPPERS, WATER, SALT, NATURAL FLAVORINGS), ROASTED RED, YELLOW AND GREEN BELL PEPPERS, COOKED BROWN RICE (WATER, BROWN RICE), TOMATOES IN PUREE (TOMATOES, TOMATO PUREE), CARAMELIZED ONIONS, WATER, CHARD, KALE, COOKED BLACK BARLEY (WATER, BLACK BARLEY), COOKED RED QUINOA (WATER, RED QUINOA), COOKED RED RICE (WATER, RED RICE), PARMESAN CHEESE (PART SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), SPINACH, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: TOMATO PASTE, ONIONS, OLIVE OIL, DISTILLED VINEGAR, CORN STARCH, GARLIC PUREE, CHARDONNAY WINE, GARLIC, SALT, NATURAL FLAVORINGS, CRUSHED RED PEPPER, SUGAR.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
30 checking in, I can't say that it has been specifically harder now as compared to 20 in terms of biology. I bet its mostly lifestyle differences that's all. When I was 20 I went to the gym 4 days a week for 1 hour sessions, now I don't have the care for that.

Also when I wanted to lose a lot of weight a few years ago when I lived by myself, I just did extreme dieting and controlled my calories for every meal.

Now when you live with someone it's a little harder to deal when they don't have a need for dieting and you are both preparing meals for each other.