• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No it's not. You wouldn't believe how I was at 35 and how I'm I now. All it takes is determination, discipline and patience. Go for it đź’Ş

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Very likely you're underestimating the calories you're eating both during the week and during the weekend as "treats".

Exercise is good but only a minor part of the the weight losing process.

Maxximo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
33 and eating more than 3500-4000Kcal daily to mantain weight. Having hobbies that involve exercise helps a ton .

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Just turned 38, and since I've finally understood things, it's been so easy to lose weight... that I've been letting myself go on purpose by eating sweets at work....and at times at home.

This week I'll do the low carb thing consistantly and some push ups. I've got too comfortable these past few months since I got back from vacation. It's been fun with these chocolate chip cookies...and brownie fudge ice cream. I'll see you again for a few days during Thanksgiving week.

But yeah OP, like most are saying... diet first and foremost. It makes working out easier. I don't even work out ab stuff, until after I lose alittle weight. Once you get in a groove, everything else is easier.

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
over the weekend around 8 pints of beer and a couple of share bags of chocolate.

I think my diet is good. Tend to only eat red meet twice a week. fish and veggie make up the other meals.

I'm a sucker for white bread and i'm borderline chocoholic. But while i've been doing this i'll probably have 1 2 finger kittkat a day
WTF lol

And here is your problem. Good thing is you have lots of room for improvement.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Prety much what im doing, i do a 20 min walk to the job to go and to come and i went from 80kg to 75kg in 1 month. Still drink time to time and eat some unhealthy food.

I know its obvious to some people but I still can't quite believe how much weight I have lost while still having a relatively bad diet (pizza multiple times a week for example). I was drinking farrrrrr too much it seems.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am almost 31, and with no exercise (cushy IT Job and Games at home), low carb diet and no soda at all I managed to lose 2kg in 6 days. Something is wrong with your routine OP, and I 100% sure its your diet. Either you are eating a ton of carbs, or a lot of calories.

Jan 20, 2019
I know its obvious to some people but I still can't quite believe how much weight I have lost while still having a relatively bad diet (pizza multiple times a week for example). I was drinking farrrrrr too much it seems.

That and eating more then a person needs. Peopel think that because they go to the gym the problem goes way.

OP
OP
Thornton Reed

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
ok i'll see if cutting back to one treat day on a weekend will make a difference. I'm not giving up alcohol though.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
over the weekend around 8 pints of beer and a couple of share bags of chocolate.

I think my diet is good. Tend to only eat red meet twice a week. fish and veggie make up the other meals.

I'm a sucker for white bread and i'm borderline chocoholic. But while i've been doing this i'll probably have 1 2 finger kittkat a day

That is probably your problem OP, alcohol is awful for calorie intake and beer is one of the worst offenders. A pint of beer is approximately 200 calories and a share bag of chocolate will be easily over 500 calories. So your weekend indulgence is adding probably over 2500 calories to your diet every week, which is like eating an extra 300-400 calories every day. That's massive, and most likely an underestimate.

Last edited:

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I've lost zero from my waist and my podgy belly that i'm trying to lose is still exactly the same. The only place i could be going wrong is on a weekend. I really don't want to have to change my weekends treats, but if all this exercise i'm doing now is simply maintaining my weight due to my over indulging on a weekend then i'll have to make changes there.

At 36 is there any room to indulge is you want to stay slim?

No.

Eat less. 1500kcal per day, maximum.

ok i'll see if cutting back to one treat day on a weekend will make a difference. I'm not giving up alcohol though.

Stop drinking.

Nothing you can do will make a bigger, better difference to your life and weight.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
So i'm making this thread as i'm looking for tips and help as I feel like i must be doing something wrong. So for the last 10 weeks or so i've been trying to get into shape. I'm 36, 12.5 stone (175 pounds) and around 5 10 in height. So i'm not over weight by any stretch. I was starting to get a little podgy around the middle so i wanted to do something about it. For the past 10 weeks I've ran 3 days in a week for around 3.5 - 4 miles doing a mile every 9.2.min roughly. I also cycle once a week for about 23 miles. I'm also doing intermittent fasting. I tend to exercise in the morning around 11ish then have my fist meal of the day after that at lunch time. I make sure i don't eat anything past 7pm. On the weekend i don't do any IF and i'll have a drink and a couple of treats.

So after 10 weeks i weigh the same, which i'm not overly concerned with as this process isn't about losing weight, but i look exactly the same. I've lost zero from my waist and my podgy belly that i'm trying to lose is still exactly the same. The only place i could be going wrong is on a weekend. I really don't want to have to change my weekends treats, but if all this exercise i'm doing now is simply maintaining my weight due to my over indulging on a weekend then i'll have to make changes there.

At 36 is there any room to indulge is you want to stay slim?

As I've learned over the years exercise has very little to do with weight loss. If you were already at a surplus and add 500 calories a day off from exercise (which is a lot by the way) you're losing less than a pound a week. Also if you're not weight lifting your TDEE, which is basically how many calories you use a day, will naturally be lower. You need to find out your TDEE and for every 500 calories you subtract from that you'll see a pound a week.

Also you may have lost something and didn't realize, you may have put a bit of muscle on or are holding extra water. EIther way yes you can indulge once in a while, but you need to figure out what your TDEE is and work around that with your calories. The calories lost from "slower metabolism" at your age is not nearly enough to make it impossible to lose weight. You can completely counteract any possible metabolism lost through weight lifting. You probably are just less active than you were before and it has slowly caught up to you.

edit- welp nvm, it's your diet. Not shaming you or anything, but you won't be losing weight if you're just taking all the calories in on the weekend that you burned during exercise.

OP
OP
Thornton Reed

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
That is probably your problem OP, alcohol is awful for calorie intake and beer is one of the worst offenders. A pint of beer is approximately 200 calories and a share bag of chocolate will be easily over 500 calories. So your weekend indulgence is adding probably over 2500 calories to your diet every week, which is like eating an extra 300-400 calories every day. That's massive.

I've never looked at it like this before. Think i may have to change my weekend treat snack to some unsalted home popped popcorn.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Do you lift at the gym?

Are you seeing appreciable strength gains? For the first ~ year of regular lifting bumping large muscle group sets 5 lbs. per week (like bench press) and more isolated muscle group (like bicep curls) by 2.5 lb. per week is a pretty reasonable push to see gains at comaprable set counts.

Living on a vegetarian, low fat diet, especially if your exercise is primarily cardio, might be resulting in you not getting the muscle gains needed to keep your metabolism up.

At the same time you aren't going to exercise weight off when you eat >2000 calories. If counting calories is too much trouble on the regular then establish known quantity meals where the math is easy and rely on those through the week. Something like 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/4 cup granola, 1/4 cup fresh berries is an easy to add up breakfast that you can pretty accurately repeat and then have a fixed caloric intake each morning you do it. If you need variety construct enough known quantity meals you can make at home/prepare to take with you so as to meet the variety you'd desire.

Calorie control doesn't mean weighing every meal and counting up every possible tablespoon of oil in a dressing you have out. It means knowing with ~90% accuracy what each meal is at, then aiming to come in below 2000 cal. plus exercise total.

Yeah I lift at the gym, but i am not seeing any appreciable strength gains. Some days I can lift more, some less.
Depends on my energy levels really. I work two jobs so it's hard to have regularly scheduled gym sessions and meals, I just have to fit things in where I can.

I usually have the same thing for breakfast every day - a protein shake with added banana and peanut butter.
I really want to do the whole meal prep thing but I just don't have time to make the meals, I get home so late and I'm tired and just want to chill. And when I do make things I often forget them in the morning as I'm in a rush etc.
I often have to grab food on the go but I try and make sure it's reasonably healthy like salads with grains/beans or a falafel wrap or something.

It all just feels like so much effort for very little return.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but lol

8 pints of beer is almost 2,000 calories, and I looked up the calories in a share bag of Maltesers as an example and a 189g bag is about 900 calories, so 1,800 calories total there.

So a drink and a couple of treats = nearly 4,000 calories, and I'm assuming that's not all you eat at the weekend.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Stop drinking.

Nothing you can do will make a bigger, better difference to your life and weight.
Drinking is well known to be damaging to the body in many ways, but most people really don't know about one of the biggest problems which is the amount of calories in alcohol. I was shocked when I found out that 1 unit of alcohol is approximately 100 calories, no matter what kind of alcohol you drink. Made me really rethink my lifestyle of a big binge night out every week, and now I pretty much never drink alcohol casually.

Alcohol is just so awful.

OP
OP
Thornton Reed

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
If you are drinking quite a bit that will make it so so difficult. 8 pints is like an extra whole DAY worth of food which you will need to work off.

here in the UK 4 pints or the equivalent is nothing. On a Saturday we tend to stay in as we've got small kids, so on the couch we'll watch a film with a couple of drinks and some chocolate. on a sunday we always tend to go out as a family and i'll squeeze in a couple of pints somewhere then maybe a glass of wine in the evening once the kids are down. the 8 pints was probably a worse case scenario.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I compiled all the advice so far listed in the thread. Some seems based around science, some seems highly anecdotal. I'm not claiming support for any of it, just thought it was fun to see it all listed out:
  1. Eat less
  2. Intermittent cardio
  3. Count your calories
  4. Cut out sugar
  5. Cut out soda
  6. Weight-lifting / resistance-training
  7. Fasting
  8. Cut all carbs
  9. Use artificial sweeteners
  10. Keto
  11. Switch up your work outs
  12. Use a calorie-tracking app
  13. Smaller portions
  14. More water
  15. Eat food slower
  16. Discipline / Rethink your entire way of life
  17. Start eating fish and white meat
  18. Run 10 miles per run
  19. Drink coffee
  20. 1,500 calories, max, per day

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
I'm 37 now and trying to lose 30 LBS. I'm made it to 15 so far but it is difficult and frustrating but you just have to keep at it, I guess.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was using MyFitnessPal, logging my food, changing my diet with great success. I added in more exercise which allowed me to eat more, was still working great. I tried to throw in intermittent fasting and completely stalled out.

Ultimately my routine got turned completely upside down when my oldest started real school and gained it all back.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
here in the UK 4 pints or the equivalent is nothing. On a Saturday we tend to stay in as we've got small kids, so on the couch we'll watch a film with a couple of drinks and some chocolate. on a sunday we always tend to go out as a family and i'll squeeze in a couple of pints somewhere then maybe a glass of wine in the evening once the kids are down. the 8 pints was probably a worse case scenario.

Yea I know I am also from the UK - and believe me I know how little 8 pints in a week really is.

All I know is I used to drink (sounds like quite similar to you) and it wasn't until I stopped the drink that the weight fell off me. It's just extra calories and a lot of them for nothing.

Edit - for me it was never just the drink though - id share a bottle of wine with my wife so half each but it always led to a bag of munchies too or some toast whatever. It's all that which caused the problem

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This thread is a perfect example of why people struggle with weight loss. They never think to count the things they drink, or the little treats they have throughout the course of the day.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Are you saying i can't have 1 2 finger kittkat a day? I don't drink fizzy drinks and have my coffee black with no sugar. The kittkat is the only sugary thing i'll have in the week. What a crap existence if you can't even have a kittkat with a brew

A 2 finger kit kat is like a slice of bread, calorie-wise. By itself it won't be a problem. But your descriptions of 'pints of beer' and 'share bag of chocolate' and 'loving bread' means your good diet may not be as good as you think. (It might be ok once you have lost weight, but you have to give up a few things to actually lose weight).

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Replace some of the cardio with basic strengh training and measure your waist instead of your weight

And try to replace some of your chocolate snacks with healthier ones. There are some that actually taste good and will help you lose weight.

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People severely underestimate the power of weightlifting when it comes to weight loss. It's fucking amazing what it does to your metabolism.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Don't do this 1500 is a huge deficit for a man of your age unless your are a hobbit.
Deficit must be progressive and not that extreme.

I'm almost exactly the same age, height and weight as the OP.

1500 kcal is my professionally recommended daily intake as I try to drop to 160lbs, it's a perfectly healthy deficit.

If I was trying for 150lbs I'd have been recommended 1250.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
It really is all about diet. I'm 6'2" and I went from 190lbs to 260lbs thanks to a fantastic, years-long death spiral of depression, heavy drinking, and not giving a shit about calories or exercise.

Literally one month after dropping all of that shit I lost 5lbs. Now I'm getting back to the gym (when I can) and walk on all my lunch breaks. I'll maybe have 1 or 2 beers a week now, and my body has already adjusted so I'm not craving sugars.

OP
OP
Thornton Reed

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
Yea I know I am also from the UK - and believe me I know how little 8 pints in a week really is.

All I know is I used to drink (sounds like quite similar to you) and it wasn't until I stopped the drink that the weight fell off me. It's just extra calories and a lot of them for nothing.

Edit - for me it was never just the drink though - id share a bottle of wine with my wife so half each but it always led to a bag of munchies too or some toast whatever. It's all that which caused the problem

you've just described my life

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I know everyone is saying quit booze (easy to say if you've not been a lifelong drinker who's socially reliant on it, but I won't go into that), but I know plenty of people who drink several pints a week (as OP says, here in the UK that is basically the norm for men in their 30s), don't go to the gym, eat far worse diets than me, and are still slim.
What's their secret, just blessed with a fast metabolism?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

Uhh I'm sure not everybody is throwing back 1500 worth of calories of beer, otherwise everyone would be overweight. In order to lose weight you will absolutely need to cut that back. Your habits may have slightly changed in the last few years without realizing it- eating slightly more, doing slightly less, etc. but your age/metabolism aren't the issue here, your dietary habits are not good.

Annoying Old Party Man

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I cycled and started diet and I lost 15kg in 3 months. Then I got it back. And lost it again. And got it back. Maintaining weight is much harder than losing it.

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also alcohol consume reduction is a must if you want to achieve something significant.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even fruit or just products with sugar?

I'm on keto, so any form of sugar, really. For fruits, I basically stick to strawberries as a treat.

I'll use sucralose or xylitol as a sugar substitute from time to time, but pretty rarely. Mainly, the sweetest thing I'll take in will be some sugar free whipped cream or a coke zero from time to time, but mainly stay away from even those. Usually drink water or gatorade zero. For foods, it's normally savory stuff, like nuts or meat. I have to watch veggies too, I can eat things like celery, bell pepper, cucumber.

The diet was actually put together by my doctor because I was boarderline diabetic, however. So totally eliminating sugar was the goal in the first place. The diet wasn't necessarily to lose weight, it was to fix my blood sugar levels. The weight loss was just a very fortunate side effect.

Keto topic here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/keto-diet-yay-or-nay.130295/

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
you've just described my life

Yep! Well in that case for years I tried to lose weight and it wasn't until I stopped or at the very least decreased doing that did I actually lose weight. I did lose a shit load in the end, just have to decide if it's worth it or not.

We are back to drinking just ONE day a week and so far it's going okay.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It's always interesting how you can justify and even hide food from yourself. A drink and a couple of treats becomes 8 pints of beer and a bunch of share bags of candy. Depending on your diet that can equate to one or two days of calories.

The answer really is to stop hiding stuff from yourself. Pretending it doesn't exist doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
I lost around 8 kg by purely cutting out soda and eating less. Drank coffee and water throughout the weekdays probably half a can of soda stretch over the weekend. If I eat fastfood I don't touch the fries and swap soda out for water, if I feel the slightest feeling of fullness is when I stop eating.

All this is without any exercise.