• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just wrapped up my third playthrough of RE4, and I wanted to write a thoughtful essay on how it's a perfect video game, a letter written to the future that we've been trying to decipher for 15 years and barely chipping away at what made it so good.

But that takes effort so instead I'll focus on something else: what the fuck is wrong with the villains in this game?

As you may be aware, RE4 is the story of Leon being a bad enough dude to save the President's daughter. She's been infected by an ancient parasite that will control her every action, and is intended to act like a sleeper agent to destabilize the country.

And once you free her from captivity, the enemies of the game then proceed to nearly kill her along with Leon at every opportunity. Flaming trucks, grenades, boulders launched out of catapults, spiked ceilings, a giant tank with a rotating blade that bursts through a castle wall; these dumb bastards keep nearly killing their meal ticket to domination of the USA when all they had to do was infect her and drop her off on the side of the road so she could go home and wreck everything.

In summary RE4 is a good game because Osmund Saddler makes Skeletor look dignified.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who just played through RE4 for the first time a few weeks ago: seriously though what the heck is wrong with the villains in this game? They're so bad at accomplishing any of their goals, but not in a funny or clever way. They're just bad.

cogedlo, cogedlo, cogedlo...

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
"Where's everyone going? Bingo?"

Now let's dissect the extent to which the actions of this video game's villains meet their stated goals.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
RE4 is a writing mess and was the start of a very pronounced downwards spiral for the series.

Can't wait for the remake.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
d2p0y0w-79b1e416-6d85-441b-9555-38e669ef7f0d.png

RE4 is a game where you shouldn't think about the "why" of things too much

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
RE4 has that real B-horror plot

even Leon barely treats things seriously half the time, if Luis didn't die it would have been a wacky jaunt for him

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 4's plot is really stupid, yes.

I think it makes up for it in entertainment value, though. The cutscenes and dialogue are actually pretty fun. I know the original Japanese script was more serious from some diehard RE fans who do translations, but frankly I think the localization team was on-point with RE4.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I firmly believe that Resident Evil 4 is the goofiest thing to be put on a video game disc. It's like they looked at the first games campy, bad writing and said "hey what if we did that again but like... on purpose this time?", and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Love this one. Doesn't it translate into something like "I'll turn you to mincemeat!"
Heard the Illuminados' dialect was some weird variation of Catalan.

This thread makes me wanna play the game again after I'm done with RE2. But is there seriously gonna be a remake of this one, too?
No one outside of this board is demanding or expecting a remake of RE4.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time I read this my eyes roll so hard I'm already candidate for laser surgery.

It's not perfect, at all, it's old, clunky and cheesy, and it looks awful. The RE engine version can't come soon enough.
Capcom better not get within 10 feet of this game or they'll ruin it. You try to make a "serious" RE4 and you've pretty much already destroyed the entire game.

Also wasn't aware you needed to look pretty to be a great game. Glad you have your priorities straight.

Also. Cheesy? In a Resident Evil game?!? Well I never!

Last edited:

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
anytime Resident Evil actively tries to be serious it goes horribly wrong and we get fuckin' RE6 out of it

even RE5, a mostly serious game and awful for it, has Wesker at his absolutely most hammy and ridiculous, and he redeems every single scene he's in

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
An RE4 remake in RE Engine but keeping everything else the same as the original version (voice acting, script, gameplay, encounters, etc) would be amazing.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resi 2 broke Leon so fucking hard that he barely cares about anything in Resi 4, I Love it.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Sure the whole thing has countless stupid moments where you wonder what the intent was.

but damn the thing was fun as hell and the stupidity seemed to add to it in some way.

also I could watch this all day. The merchant remains an amazing character.

m.youtube.com

Mega64: Resident Evil 4

Rocco from Mega64 spends a day in the life of the merchant from Resident Evil 4, and business isn't exactly booming. http://mega64.comhttp://twitter.com/mega64

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I love that one note towards the end of the game that titled "Our Evil Plan" or something like that and how it basically just describes their dumb evil plot to take over the world. Why would you need to write that down in notebook? Why would you just leave something so incriminating just lying around?

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Every time I read this my eyes roll so hard I'm already candidate for laser surgery.

It's not perfect, at all, it's old, clunky and cheesy, and it looks awful. The RE engine version can't come soon enough.

I have to respectfully disagree , RE4 is a close to perfect video game as it is , it definitely does not need a remake, and RE is cheese 🧀