• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
www.independent.co.uk

LA residents advised to cut showers by four minutes as drought worsens

Outdoor garden watering also reduced from three days to two from 1 June

Los Angeles residents have been advised to cut four minutes off their daily shower as the California drought worsens. The city's inhabitants and businesses will be subject to stricter Los Angeles Department of Water and Power watering restrictions on 1 June, mayor Eric Garcetti announced.

LADWP customers will only be allowed to water their gardens two days a week, down from three under the plan. And residents have been urged to reduce their per person use by seven gallons a day, which is the equivalent of cutting their showering time by four minutes. LADWP says the same amount can also be saved by shutting the tap off during a two-minute tooth brushing cycle and five-minute shaving cycle.
"Los Angeles didn't just become one of the most water efficient cities in the world overnight – but regardless of how much we've already done, today is about recognizing how much further we have to go," said Mayor Eric Garcetti.

"While the reduction in outdoor watering is important, it's just one piece of our larger conservation effort – so if we want our children and grandchildren to be able to turn to the tap with confidence, we need to double down on the solutions that have made conservation a way of life in L.A."
California's water usage jumped nearly 19 per cent in March during one of the driest months on record, state officials announced on Tuesday.

It is the most water used in any month in the state since 2015 and the state's governor Gavin Newsom has asked residents to voluntarily help cut water usage by 15 per cent.

My showers aren't even 4 minutes long and I also don't live in LA but to all LA long showerers, do your best to help out 🌎

And yes, people's showers are probably among the the least of California's water usage problems.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't see this getting better. And Lake Mead is probably going to stop generating power by next year is there isn't record snowfall.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda ridiculous asking people to taking quicker showers, but people that leave the tap running when brushing are serious arseholes.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could shower in 4 minutes, I'm growing out my hair and I need so much more time just to wash my hair now.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already down to a 5 minute shower up in SF. been that way since I was a kid.

we should be tearing apart those golf courses. They always get top priority for watering.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
cutting people's showers arent going to fix the problem lol. they need to restrict companies and the city water usage for that

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
What if I only shower for 4 minutes? Does that mean the city will make sure the funk and bacteria will stop growing on me?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm usually in and out in 5 minutes anyway. But damn, like what the hell are we going to do if things get worse?

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Stop trying to get regular people to compensate for rich and powerful peoples bullshit.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'm cutting my hair to make this possible.

Also fuck corporations, the rich, and corrupt politicians who wont take action on climate change.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I still say we need more desal plants. Move the plants in-land, suck up the water, shoot the new water into rivers, lakes, and storm channels, & dump the waste brine in the middle of the desert in empty mines and gravel pits, or even make evaporation facilities to even recapture that waste water and then use the salt for whatever.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is veggie and fruit farming going in California? Restrictions? New crops/plants that need less water?

I always thought these plantations are what a large share of California water is needed for and I can't imagine that this is sustainable much longer.

Oct 28, 2017
i myself use a cup of warm water to clean the blade when i shave, it helps save water and but the most important reason i do it is cuz most of the facial hair stays away from the goddamn plumbing and doesnt clog it lol

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How about we tell fuckers like these people to stop instead?

www.motherjones.com

Meet the California couple who uses more water than every home in Los Angeles combined

How megafarmers Lynda and Stewart Resnick built their billion-dollar empire.

Resnick_Barchart-630.png

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I don't see this getting better. And Lake Mead is probably going to stop generating power by next year is there isn't record snowfall.
Honestly this is the main reason I'm not too broken up about leaving CA for MI. Sure there are things about SoCal that I miss. But sustainable it surely isn't.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I still say we need more desal plants. Move the plants in-land, suck up the water, shoot the new water into rivers, lakes, and storm channels, & dump the waste brine in the middle of the desert in empty mines and gravel pits, or even make evaporation facilities to even recapture that waste water and then use the salt for whatever.

One of the biggest problems with LA is simply that all the rainwater goes directly into the ocean, by design. LA captures almost none of that within the city. But sure, they want people to reduce shower time instead of the government actually doing something.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
The Southwest is in for a world of hurt over the next 5-10 years. Beyond that it's gonna be intense and unlivable for some places for weeks to months out of the year.

Cutting shower times is some silly posturing, need to reorganize the entire structure of water usage and how much is wasted on beef production and inefficient crops.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
How is veggie and fruit farming going in California? Restrictions? New crops/plants that need less water?

I always thought these plantations are what a large share of California water is needed for and I can't imagine that this is sustainable much longer.
Sorry those gigantic corporate farms bought, fair and square, 150-year-old water rights that were barely understood at the time so they can use as much as they want and nobody's allowed to tell them otherwise

Rufio

Oct 27, 2017
I take 30 minute showers while I contemplate my day/week/life.

I'll cut it down when they start closing golf courses and other agricultural amenities.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Agriculture is by far the largest active usage of water. Much of the stuff grown is also done for animal feed and not even direct human consumption.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
One of the biggest problems with LA is simply that all the rainwater goes directly into the ocean, by design. LA captures almost none of that within the city. But sure, they want people to reduce shower time instead of the government actually doing something.
Well, that's dumb.

Is there any reason there's no desalination plant in LA?
Because people are dumb. But it doesn't just need to be in LA. They need one in Baker too. And they need one here in Nevada and one in Utah. If we can have transcontinental oil pipelines, we need the same shit for water.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
My dad used to tell me to shower like this:

1. Turn the water on, get wet
2. Turn the water off.
3. Lather up with water off
4. turn water back on, lather up.

This was mostly for ventilation reasons, but I still never did it.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
Is there any reason there's no desalination plant in LA?
Requires a shit ton of energy and infrastructure planning. Energy equals water usage and we can barely extend rail lines or fix streets, let alone build actual infrastructure. It also creates a lot of brine and disposing of it without ruining ecosystems is very challenging.

Tech solutions for overuse problems don't work out in the long term, and we can't do anything in the short term.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I already take 5 minute showers. I'm not going to take less time than that.

Start setting up desal plants.

Edit:
My dad used to tell me to shower like this:

1. Turn the water on, get wet
2. Turn the water off.
3. Lather up with water off
4. turn water back on, lather up.

This was mostly for ventilation reasons, but I still never did it.
I actually have showered like this for almost 2 decades. So the government asking me to reduce further is only going to get a middle finger from me.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
How about CA stops farming stupid crops like alfalfa, and even wine.

The average citizen isn't the issue here.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm moving from FL to CA soon. Trading hurricanes and rising shoreline for fires and droughts. Honestly think I prefer the former.

Gonna be weird adjusting to such a dry environment coming from such a wet one.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry those gigantic corporate farms bought, fair and square, 150-year-old water rights that were barely understood at the time so they can use as much as they want and nobody's allowed to tell them otherwise

Yeah, this pisses me off so much. Those water rights need to be revoked.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
How many of the almonds or pomegranates go elsewhere? Would people cutting back in the US have any impact on water usage?

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I already take 5 minute showers. I'm not going to take less time than that.

Start setting up desal plants.

Edit:

I actually have showered like this for almost 2 decades. So the government asking me to reduce further is only going to get a middle finger from me.
Good on you, man. I'll do it tomorrow just to see what it's like, but not because the government tells me to or because my dad said.

Phoony17

Oct 27, 2017
Narangba, AUS
Feel you LA fam.

Off topic.

Feels like a lifetime ago but during 1997-2009 south east Queensland (Australia) had a 'millennium drought' where most areas had the lowest rainfall on record. Residents were down to 2 min showers and no watering gardens. The government mandated that any new homes had to have rainwater tanks installed. Was a massive wake up call as SEQ has a sub tropical climate, like Florida.

Now it's swung the other way. February just gone saw many areas hit record rainfall. Most parts of SEQ got 31" - 38" of rainfall in 3 days, with flooding everywhere. Biggest dam went from 50% to 187%.