• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biggest adjustment will be going from a city where you don't need a car to one where their public transportation is still trying to catch up.
Yeah. I'm mostly not worried about driving since I did it before when I lived in the south east. I am curious how I'd adjust dating wise as in NYC it's no hassle to go to a bar and worry about getting home.

Also, heard some things it's a bit harder to make friends since everybody is cocooned in cars and just is driving to and from places. I've met most of my friends at bars and local spots. Don't want to be lonely haha

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I'm mostly not worried about driving since I did it before when I lived in the south east. I am curious how I'd adjust dating and socializing wise as in NYC it's no hassle to go to a bar and worry about getting home. I was much less social and had a lot of lame nights alone when I was in suburbia.

Also, heard some things it's a bit harder to make friends since everybody is cocooned in cars and just is driving to and from places. I've met most of my friends at bars and local spots. Don't want to be lonely haha

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why I quoted myself but my biggest concern are making friends in such a car heavy city without serendipity.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why you are fixating on cars = no friends. I will say that most young people who live in LA, come here to make it in the biz (music, film, tv, etc) so you will run into some 'tude here and there. But it depends on where you plan on hanging out and what kind of crowd you are going to keep around you. What's your current social circle like? Nerds, artists, musicians, etc?

Last edited:

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
I found and continue to find it difficult to make friends in this city.
yuuuup. This is why I hate LA and feel like anyone who calls this place Greatest City is lying to themselves.

LA is a place where ppl think they know other ppl but nobody actually knows each other.

as mentioned above, you meet lots of ppl who move here to be in entertainment or any type of attention seeking day job, then lots of ppl move out when that doesnt happen lol. Nowadays I learned it's all about podcasts, ppl moving here to start the newest big podcast lol.

I did love LA for that kinda reason, a lot of transplants since I've always felt like a fish out of water. I hate it here in OC where everyone is pushing 30s and still lives with family or still hangs out with ppl they went to high school with... a different california reason for why it's hard to make friends :(

DecentDuck

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
yuuuup. This is why I hate LA and feel like anyone who calls this place Greatest City is lying to themselves.

LA is a place where ppl think they know other ppl but nobody actually knows each other.

as mentioned above, you meet lots of ppl who move here to be in entertainment or any type of attention seeking day job, then lots of ppl move out when that doesnt happen lol. Nowadays I learned it's all about podcasts, ppl moving here to start the newest big podcast lol.

I did love LA for that kinda reason, a lot of transplants since I've always felt like a fish out of water. I hate it here in OC where everyone is pushing 30s and still lives with family or still hangs out with ppl they went to high school with... a different california reason for why it's hard to make friends :(
LA is a cesspool and after living here for 17 years, I'm ready for a change.

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
LA's my third home (after SF and my native country). Here again at the moment for personal reasons...

and I still despise this place.

Long Beach isn't too bad though.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, it's not cars, it's more that a lot of the city is insulated into smaller neighborhoods that people dont' venture out of as much. When you're in a cool place, it's cool and you know people and so on. I have my local joints. When you're not, and you have to travel to one of the cooler areas, it sucks. I lived in Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks years ago and all we ever wanted to do was sit around in a house and wonder if it was worth driving over the hill.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been here almost a year and still drive down the highway sometimes and feel the cold air, see a mountain ridge in the distance or grab food from hole-in-the-walls and go "oh wow LA is really cool"

But then again I come from Florida so.

As for the friends thing: I guess I never ran into that problem because all the people I'm really close friends with are the people I went to uni with in Florida

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well if I come I'll be going to law school so that will be 200 or so built in friends plus the wider community of the school and jobs/internships. So I don't think I should worry about that too much.

My plan is to go back to NYC after school and just enjoy the 3 years but if it works out then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been here almost a year and still drive down the highway sometimes and feel the cold air, see a mountain ridge in the distance or grab food from hole-in-the-walls and go "oh wow LA is really cool"

But then again I come from Florida so.

As for the friends thing: I guess I never ran into that problem because all the people I'm really close friends with are the people I went to uni with in Florida
Yeah i visited and thought it was cool. It's so "big and vast" compared to NYC and the mountains are an amazing back drop.

If I want to be a big shot lawyer in NYC I figure I might try to enjoy the last 3 years of freedom rather than staying here and going to lesser school.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Well if I come I'll be going to law school so that will be 200 or so built in friends plus the wider community of the school and jobs/internships. So I don't think I should worry about that too much.

My plan is to go back to NYC after school and just enjoy the 3 years but if it works out then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sounds like a great starting point. There is loads to love about the area.
Do yourself a favour and pick up hiking!

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah i visited and thought it was cool. It's so "big and vast" compared to NYC and the mountains are an amazing back drop.

If I want to be a big shot lawyer in NYC I figure I might try to enjoy the last 3 years of freedom rather than staying here and going to lesser school.

I honestly don't think I could stand living in NYC. It just feels so cramped to me. At least in LA you can drive and change scenery pretty quickly. Theres always a means of escape

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a great starting point. There is loads to love about the area.
Do yourself a favour and pick up hiking!
If I come hiking is one of the things I'm certainly going to do. NYC its hard to do things until from November-Late April
I honestly don't think I could stand living in NYC. It just feels so cramped to me. At least in LA you can drive and change scenery pretty quickly. Theres always a means of escape
I love NYC and don't really WANT to move, its just this school offers me a much better career path and learning opportunities to be a better lawyer (the NYC school, could in theory do the same but its outcomes aren't as great). I want to come back and don't really want to stay in LA long term but I figure three years isn't horrible to be in good weather.

I was just worried a bit that those three years wouldn't be great.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
You'll make do. Most of the people who run screaming from LA are those who tried to "make it" fell flat on their face.

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it's not cars, it's more that a lot of the city is insulated into smaller neighborhoods that people dont' venture out of as much. When you're in a cool place, it's cool and you know people and so on. I have my local joints. When you're not, and you have to travel to one of the cooler areas, it sucks. I lived in Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks years ago and all we ever wanted to do was sit around in a house and wonder if it was worth driving over the hill.
oh yes I know this feeling too :(

I was driving from OC to Culver City for a few years to dance, met some good friends, but they were all the type of ppl who never wanted to venture past a certain radius. Turns out they werent actually good friends as none were willing to make effort for me :(

I grew up in Lancaster, I absolutely HATE the idea of feeling trapped in a confined area as that's how I did feel growing up, but I also felt like I lived in a cool state with a lot to offer, hence why when it was time to move out for college I did not consider going out of state, but rather relocating myself to a nicer city far away from home. I do like to crap on locals of any modern CA town, but there's no doubt that I do envy their hometown comfort and often wonder how different my life decisions would be if I did grow up somewhere nicer and more comfortable.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is about to graduate from masters program there next month, you'll have no problem meeting people. USC is an amazing school and if you choose to live Downtown you'll have a great (yet expensive) time. LA is different than NYC but it's so god damn fun.
I'll probably live close to campus my first year then try to get a room in silverlake/los feliz/echo park. Downtown itself seems a bit too manhattan-y (I'm in brooklyn now so I prefer they vibe).

Yeah. After visiting LA last week I'm a little less worried about friends and now reading too much on earthquakes and deciding not to live in a concret building :/ haha.

I'm probably gonna put the deposit for the seat now. Though I'm still on some NYC schools waitlists which could lead to another tough decision...

OP
OP
Dr. Feel Good

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably live close to campus my first year then try to get a room in silverlake/los feliz/echo park. Downtown itself seems a bit too manhattan-y (I'm in brooklyn now so I prefer they vibe).

Yeah. After visiting LA last week I'm a little less worried about friends and now reading too much on earthquakes and deciding not to live in a concret building :/ haha.

I'm probably gonna put the deposit for the seat now. Though I'm still on some NYC schools waitlists which could lead to another tough decision...

Makes sense. Shitty part is lack of train access in those areas but they are fun regardless. Area around USC is kind of hit or miss but given you're there to study it's probably not a bad idea. Most MBAs live in downtown first year and hit west side second year. I'm more of a fan of Hollywood and Silverlake.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere

Downtown LA is far from Manhattan (maybe only because only wealthy people can currently afford it?), and it's pretty small once you realize that there's only so much to do there before you branch out. However, Angelenos do have a certain air about them, as do people from anywhere "big".

---

Also, I have been back in LA for almost two months. I'm from here, and was in the (boring) Bay Area for a year. I miss some aspects like clean air and nice roads and no traffic (since I was going the opposite way), but I like the LA vibe, the places to be, and the general city-like atmosphere, where as the Bay Area (outside of SF) has more of a small town feel with tech companies commandeering all the available space for their employees. The bay consists of 95% suburbs, I feel, but not really meaningful cities. While LA is a sprawl of burbs, they're all "LA" minded, until you go further out.

The best thing rn is that I work from home and don't have to deal with traffic. Best LA? I just go out at night and do whatever I want.

Once I move back to the Bay, I'll be scouting SF, because there's no point for someone like me to live in the burbs again.

Last edited:

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017

Just make sure you don't move into a dingbat apartment if earthquakes worry. Look up dingbat to see what i am talking about. Also i would recommend just finding a place in your preferred neighborhood now (you're going to regret it if you don't). Scene/neighborhood around the school is very different then the rest of LA. USC is full of rich spoiled OC children who only got in because their rich parents made a massive donation to the school. Pick a place close to a red line metro station and you can just take the red > blue one way with connection for $1.75.

Also you can use this http://graphics.latimes.com/soft-story-apartments-needing-retrofit/ to search for bad buildings in LA.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm moving out there in August. I just did the seat deposit. So the only thing that would stop me is if I get off the waitlist at another school.

I'm excited and a lot less fearful now that I know it's happening. Will likely be in LA for three years but gonna make the most of it.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

Fight on!

Cross-posting this from IronERA because I'm feeling proud of myself:

Very happy with my recreation of the super-trendy Sorrel Pesto rice bowl from Sqirl in LA. I swapped out the sorrel for kale and lemon juice per the Bon Appetit recipe; it features brown rice, watermelon radish, a poached egg, preserved lemon, feta and fresh dill:

hcsib.jpg

I don't have a mandoline to slice the radish as thinly as I wanted, but on flavor it's pretty damn close to the original!

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LA fashion GAF

My hair is long as fuck right now and I want a haircut. Any recommendations? I was thinking of going back to Daniel Alfonso (he cut my hair once like in 2013) but I'm open to new suggestions. Kinda maybe want to go to a salon cause I love getting my hair washed lol

Note: I have long thick azn hair

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't everyone just got Rudy's till they find a stylist they like and then follow them to whatever salon they end up going to once they quit?

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm visiting LA this week, so shout out to the guy browsing Era on his phone at the Culver City In-and-Out in front of me in the queue.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
BurgerQuest update: Just had an amazing burger at Electric Owl on Sunset. Probably didn't need to order the double but the tater tots are also aces. Already thinking of going back lol

32035641_606402669720763_6649789961933422592_n.jpg

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
wait wait wait! Did I miss BurgerQuest?!?! What happened, is there a recap on all the quests? This is important, I need to know!

I'm going to Minneapolis this weekend, gonna eat the famous Jucy Lucy. It's like BurgerQuest Gaiden or something.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
wait wait wait! Did I miss BurgerQuest?!?! What happened, is there a recap on all the quests? This is important, I need to know!

I'm going to Minneapolis this weekend, gonna eat the famous Jucy Lucy. It's like BurgerQuest Gaiden or something.
Sorta started on the other site, I think someone was asking about visiting LA and having a good burger or something and people were chiming in. Recommended a backyard grill (literally in someone's backyard in Hollywood). They were closed down but are looking to open at a permanent location (www.instagram.com/burgersneversaydie). Also posted the Big Mec a page back here.

Let us know if you find any great burgers out there! Have to say the Electric Owl burger was really juicy and tasty.

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018
Hello, I am a bot! I come bearing 1 gifts from Cloud-Hidden!

This is a raffle that will expire in 3 days. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

t1527543907z0.png

How to Participate:

To enter this giveaway click here to send a private message to me, GiftBot, with the subject line entry.

In the message body, copy and paste the entire line below for the prize you wish to win. You are allowed only 1 entry per giveaway.

Available Prizes:

Eorzean Symphony Final Fantasy XIV Orchestra Concert Symphony Tickets (2) -- GB-de44a6e4-9fb3-43d5-8227-e236a82fb7d6 - Won by Junior

Last edited:

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Hello LA brothers and sisters!

I've been working with Square Enix on some cool stuff, and they were kind enough to give me a few tickets for the upcoming Eorzean Symphony concert in LA on June 15. I have a pair of tickets to give away here, and you can enter above with the help of good ol' GiftBot! Good luck!

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
Sorta started on the other site, I think someone was asking about visiting LA and having a good burger or something and people were chiming in. Recommended a backyard grill (literally in someone's backyard in Hollywood). They were closed down but are looking to open at a permanent location (www.instagram.com/burgersneversaydie). Also posted the Big Mec a page back here.

Let us know if you find any great burgers out there! Have to say the Electric Owl burger was really juicy and tasty.
oh yah that was me! lol, I just didnt know if there have been more burger questing I've missed out on =P

they opened a new spot here in Santa Ana called Graze at the 4th Street Market. Their basic cheeseburger is quite good. The other menu item I tried (BBQ Burger) was not...

anywayz...

umm... it looks like there's an election coming up next week? 6/5.

Any voting cheatsheets? Who's the best new governor? Feinstein still cool? And anybody else worth keeping out of office??

I've never been much of a political dude, so this kinda crept up on me, and of course with today's political climate we all kind of have to care now more than ever >_<

golem

Oct 25, 2017

Any voting cheatsheets? Who's the best new governor? Feinstein still cool? And anybody else worth keeping out of office??

I've never been much of a political dude, so this kinda crept up on me, and of course with today's political climate we all kind of have to care now more than ever >_<
Probably a touchy subject but I'm going to vote for De Leon in Senate. Don't feel like Feinstein is progressive enough lately. The rest of the defaults seem alright

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh yah that was me! lol, I just didnt know if there have been more burger questing I've missed out on =P

they opened a new spot here in Santa Ana called Graze at the 4th Street Market. Their basic cheeseburger is quite good. The other menu item I tried (BBQ Burger) was not...

anywayz...

Like the poster above a went DeLeon

On judges follow those endorsed by the Democratic Party, candidate websites list who they have support from.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
LA is nearing the sun right about now. It's over 90 degrees at almost 10pm. Are we in Palm Springs or what?

latex

Jul 5, 2018
I moved here 3 weeks ago from NYC and ugh it's been so tough. There are so many amazing things I'd love to do but fuck I am so broke. I just want to finally start working so I can really dive in. However, I am volunteering at the Outfest Film Festival so yay!

ETA: This may be a bit odd but how's the vogue/ballroom scene here? I was very active in the NYC community so I really need to find that here.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO why'd you move to LA with no job already in place? SMH

I have never heard of a ballroom scene in LA at all. Try Google? First result was this http://banjeeball.com/. Pretty sure the ballroom thing is mostly a New York/east coast thing.