• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 12, 2017
LA,CA
Hey y'all! Moving to Windsor Square (tiny neighborhood between Hancock Park and Koreatown) soon. Y'all know of any great restaurants or fun stuff to do around there?

Also been thinking about getting into golf. Anybody know of a non-snooty cheapo course for beginners? Thanks!

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty much Hancock park and kinda suburban. Not much on Wilshire in that area and you usually have to go to western (ktown) for anything interesting. There's Larchmont if you want to walk it, which has some nice restaurants and shops to discover, a bit yuppy if anything. It's a little boring for my tastes but has some swag AF mansions you can gawk at while walking the hood. Say hi to the mayor!

Nov 12, 2017
LA,CA
It's pretty much Hancock park and kinda suburban. Not much on Wilshire in that area and you usually have to go to western (ktown) for anything interesting. There's Larchmont if you want to walk it, which has some nice restaurants and shops to discover, a bit yuppy if anything. It's a little boring for my tastes but has some swag AF mansions you can gawk at while walking the hood. Say hi to the mayor!

Thank you for the heads up! Been living in a very congested part of Manhattan after living in a very wild part of New Orleans, so I'm kinda psyched to have some quiet outpost of suburbia to work on music and stuff. A strange thing to miss. LA is such a beautiful city with no predecessors. I feel the same way about it as Werner Herzog :)

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey LA Era, what are the best places to eat and drink around Koreatown? Nothing extravagant, but good beer and food is always appreciated.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I miss going to Pinks and In-N-Out, then driving down to Santa Monica and stuffing my face on the beach.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
There is a newish all vegan German Cuisine Restaurant in Los Angeles, Hinterhof. We went for the first time yesterday.
It was amazing. The Seitan Schnitzel was fantastic.
There is also an all vegan donut shop (Donut Friend) just down the road at which we overindulged on a variety of donuts...

qiFF23Z.jpg

3GE4IqH.jpg

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Repost-

Can somebody give me Downtown LA ideas for a first date? I was just going to do food but then she's like "surprise me" uhh..so maybe food and some activity that is fun would be nice

Scorch

Oct 28, 2017
California
Repost-

Can somebody give me Downtown LA ideas for a first date? I was just going to do food but then she's like "surprise me" uhh..so maybe food and some activity that is fun would be nice

Depends what you're into - plenty of museum options downtown (like the Broad, which is free), there's also Grand Central Market, etc. See what sticks out for you in here: https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/things-to-do/things-to-do-in-downtown-los-angeles

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Repost-

Two-Bit Circus is a popular place with a variety of things to do so you don't get stuck if she's not into one particular activity (i.e. doesn't like escape rooms, or VR makes her motion sick, etc)

https://twobitcircus.com

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate everyone who recommended me places, I'll have to write them down for a next time.

I'm cursed when it comes to dating so plans never work out. But whatever,

I need to join a club or event to socialize and just meet people.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Moving to LA on Monday finally! Driving out 40 hours from Philadelphia! (Lived in Orlando for college!)

Super, super, SUPER nervous but incredibly excited. All of my creative friends/industry friends have told me that this is where I need to be - and I've dreamed of being there since I was eight!

I have a place to stay with a family friend for a couple of months. $750 a month for a room - which I am not complaining about at all. I don't have much savings or anything though, but I am blessed to have a supportive family and am willing to work my ass off to make ends meet.

Quick question though. I know everyone says how important networking is out there - but just exactly what does that fall under? Do I have to have the person on speed-dial, or is it more so of who you have interacted with out there? I'll give you guys an example I guess.

So, I have a fairly decent online presence on Twitter thanks to my music and films/documentaries. I've had my work featured on BILLBOARD, COMPLEX, MTV, BET, etc. I did a full length Rihanna documentary about a year ago that went viral, and a friend of mine who worked with her, Farren Jean Andrea, let me know that she watched it and loved it (she ended up following me on Twitter)! More recently, a mashup that I did of upcoming artist Normani and R&B sensation Aaliyah, is currently being performed by Normani on Ariana Grande's tour right now. She followed me and her choreographer let me know that they were really into my stuff! And even MORE recently it was revealed to me that Beyoncé & Jay-Z were originally going to perform a mashup from my 'Bey-Z' mashup tribute album that went viral in 2017 during their OTRII tour, but it was scrapped along with a number of her songs due to time constraints. But due to the fact that the original setlist was posted with the mashup title there, as well as video of her rehearsing the mashup, and the fact that (thank goodness) I somewhat have a platform, I was notified immediately by plenty of fans/supporters when it was posted!

I'm lucky that a lot of the creative people involved with those artists are really excited and are pushing me to head out there but I feel as if dinvr I don't "know" them just yet that it doesn't really count.

So, I say that all to ask - does that count as "networking"? If I were to say to someone that Rihanna is a fan, or Normani is a fan - would that technically count? I really suck at selling myself but was just hoping for clarification before I really jump out into the waters out there.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm lucky that a lot of the creative people involved with those artists are really excited and are pushing me to head out there but I feel as if dinvr I don't "know" them just yet that it doesn't really count.

So, I say that all to ask - does that count as "networking"? If I were to say to someone that Rihanna is a fan, or Normani is a fan - would that technically count? I really suck at selling myself but was just hoping for clarification before I really jump out into the waters out there.
When it comes to business networking imo it doesn't mean you have to be friends or drinking buddies or anything like that. For me it means that you did good work or showed some talent, got noticed and appreciated for it. If you feel like you can reach out to these people and say something like "Hey im new in town and was wondering if you knew of any work in -field that you want to be in- available?" and they give you a slice of their time to consider your request, then you've networked. Networking is about helping people with opportunities or solutions. But remember people don't know what you might want/need unless you tell them.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Ha you are like a walking LA cliche right there. Make friends, go to bars, get invited to parties (or crash them if you are in the know), and most importantly don't be afraid to talk to people and they will almost always ask you "What do you do?" Everyone in LA will ask you this and a lot of times they are looking for connections/collaborations. This can work both ways so make sure to put yourself out there. Make business cards and keep some on you. But most importantly don't feel bad if after a couple of years you have gotten nowhere as that's the norm around here.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there gonna be any resetera meet ups or other e3 events people can attend around LA? (that aren't for people actually attending e3. It's my first E3 living in LA (saw the insomniac thing but it's sold out :( ) Damn law school finals studying!!!!

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
So sick of this weather, it's raining again! I want the sun and warmth now. Spent last weekend in Palm Springs where it was 85+ and sunny, damn I miss that.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Glad its not raining anymore but this is some weird weather. Its basically been 60-65 degrees and overcast all day long in my area for seems like a few weeks now.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Weekend is finally supposed to warm up again. Here's hoping we get over 90s soon. I have a dirty rug i've been wanting to wash for ages and want to hang it out to dry lol.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Finally moved out here about a week and a half ago. Drove 42 hours.

Interesting city so far. (got my car towed on my first day as i arrived at like 1 AM and just went straight to sleep hahahahhahahahah UGH!!!)

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Did you park on a painted curb? If you aren't sure about parking rules in la do an internet search while on your phone. Native here and I still scratch my head sometimes at our crazy parking rules. Also store parking lots are bad. Lots of shady tow companies out here looking for a quick buck.

Senator Tube

Jun 12, 2019
LA ERA, I do not want to die this summer from the heat...does anyone have any portable AC recs?

this is my first post on this site. i live in east hollywood. i'm in the same boat, but i can't get a window unit. so if anyone's got any freestanding ac suggestions, please let me know it's already bad and it's going to get so much worse in my small ass apartment

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Is there a place in or around town that is renounced for having loads of thrift/second hand stores?

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly are you looking to buy? Clothes, art work, furnishings? Depending on what you are looking for La Brea and Melrose have quite a few thrift stores for different things but it's pretty scattered (this is LA afterall). If you are looking for vintage furnishings, Palms Spring is killer especially modern mid century stuff.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah forgot to mention Robertson Blvd which should have quite a few vintage stores as well. It will be mostly high end considering it's proximity to the weho/bh.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Thanks both. I will bear that in mind. My folks are in town and they love good second hand/thrift stores. Not so much for furniture, but more for clothes and children's toys.
I'm in Long Beach, but if they decide to go up north for a day I will be sure to mention your suggestions, thanks!

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone. I'm going to be in LA for the week for business. Seems like after 4pm the day is mine. I'm from San Diego, but hate going to LA because of traffic and parking, but might as well indulge since I'll be here for the week. What are some good places to eat while here?

I've got on the list:
Burgers Never Say Die
Burgerlords
Howling Rays (which I probably won't go to because I refuse to wait that long for food)
EDIT: What the hell is up with all these food places not being open on Monday? This wild.

Not food, but I plan on hitting up the new Alamo Drafthouse to see QT's flick in 35mm.

How's the subway system? I really do not want to struggle with parking.

Last edited:

golem

Oct 25, 2017
If you like burgers I would defintely add Electric Owl and maybe La Petit Trois to your list

if you dont want to stand in line for Howlin (which is worth at least a hour wait) I would take a look at Hotville Chicken

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Hey everyone. I'm going to be in LA for the week for business. Seems like after 4pm the day is mine. I'm from San Diego, but hate going to LA because of traffic and parking, but might as well indulge since I'll be here for the week. What are some good places to eat while here?

I've got on the list:
Burgers Never Say Die
Burgerlords
Howling Rays (which I probably won't go to because I refuse to wait that long for food)
EDIT: What the hell is up with all these food places not being open on Monday? This wild.

Not food, but I plan on hitting up the new Alamo Drafthouse to see QT's flick in 35mm.

How's the subway system? I really do not want to struggle with parking.

Howlin Rays is fine if you go on Wed/Thurs around 5-6ish. Just watch their twitter but you can get a 45-60 minute line if you time it right on a weekday.

Burgers Never Say Die is in my immediate hood in Silver Lake and is terrific. Do the walk around the reservoir while you do that.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Random question: Does anyone know of any groups or meet ups where you can practice your spanish? Like a language exchange. My spanish is super rusty and I don't really know "mexican" spanish (I speak spanish spanish so I pretty funny if I want to "take a bus" somewhere because it means something vulgar in Mexican vs. Castellano)

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Visiting LA for a few days this week. Looking for suggestions on things to do, and like.....3 killer places to eat that won't break the bank.

Things I've already done in LA:

Hollywood + West Hollywood
Venice Beach
LA Brea tar pits
Universal City
The Getty

And that's all I can remember. I was also downtown once. I was thinking of visiting Highland Park and Little Tokyo and the LA County Natural History Museum. How does that compare to the one in Chicago? That's my gold standard so far (haven't been to DC).

Also we're going to Long Beach for one day.

Things I like doing:

Exploring cool neighborhoods
Eating out at awesome/unique places
Going out to cool bars
Awesome coffee shops

Also, where else is the nightclub scene? I've only been out in WeHo.

Last edited: