• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that area is not the nicest but west [derp meant to say west not east -sorry] of la brea things get a bit nicer along the border of Culver City. Culver city itself is a good option as well. Traffics pretty gnar there though but you got the expo line going through there. People have saying the expo/crenshaw/western area is going to gentrify but has not happened yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Feel Good

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that area is not the nicest but east of la brea things get a bit nicer along the border of Culver City. Culver city itself is a good option as well. Traffics pretty gnar there though but you got the expo line going through there. People have saying the expo/crenshaw/western area is going to gentrify but has not happened yet.

Thanks. We just haven't spent much time in those areas so are completely in the dark. I think Culver City is still a bit too expensive for us in terms of buying a house, we could probably do a condo but the idea of a 3 bedroom house sounds appealing I just don't want to die to do it. I feel like once Crenshaw LAX line goes live there will be a ton of development near there?

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm visiting later this year and I usually stay in/near Culver city. It's great but it is expensive. The good thing is everything seems to be within walking distance in Culver so I don't need to worry about commute time. Though of course that's not going to be true for everybody.

I'm planning on hiking Topanga and also visit some of the usual spots (NHM and Griffith observatory). Every time I've visited it's been for business so I'm 9-5 which means I don't get much free time to do what I want. Hopefully this time I'll get at least a couple of weekends for myself.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
lol thats a choice quote.

Speaking of which-- my birthday is coming up this Friday and my gf is asking where I'd want to go but I'm coming up with a blank. Friends and I went to Button Mash last year. There will be around 12 of us total. Was thinking KBBQ but a few of my friends are vegetarian and I feel like I've spent too much time in KTown.

Any ideas?

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Heading back to LA this December to see my family. I'll have some free days and was wondering if anyone knows any good men's clothing stores/boutiques you recommend. I'm from NYC so I have all the same brand/company stores here so mostly looking for small-ish independent stores that carry a range of brands and labels.

NYC examples are Nepenthes, CHCM, Creatures of Comfort, etc.

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks. We just haven't spent much time in those areas so are completely in the dark. I think Culver City is still a bit too expensive for us in terms of buying a house, we could probably do a condo but the idea of a 3 bedroom house sounds appealing I just don't want to die to do it. I feel like once Crenshaw LAX line goes live there will be a ton of development near there?

You could try Jefferson between Crenshaw and La Brea.

This area is right before Culver City.

This entire area is being improved as we speak and Jefferson already has some work/live lofts and It's becoming some type of art district in a way.

OP
OP
Dr. Feel Good

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
You could try Jefferson between Crenshaw and La Brea.

This area is right before Culver City.

This entire area is being improved as we speak and Jefferson already has some work/live lofts and It's becoming some type of art district in a way.

Thanks. Yeah we need to drive around and just get the feel of the neighborhoods. I wouldn't mind trying to buy a house in that area but parts of it seem a little sketchy around Crenshaw.

I also need to get around to putting together a full list of things to do in the OP for this thread.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Does Disneyland get busy when the Holiday lights go up? I want to go to either Disneyland or Universal Studios this weekend.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Does anyone know how conditional voter registration works in LA? CA gov sites say I can register and vote same-day but only at the the election center (which is 15 miles from me) or at a selected polling location but I can't find anything that says where that specific location would be. All their links just lead me in a loop.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how conditional voter registration works in LA? CA gov sites say I can register and vote same-day but only at the the election center (which is 15 miles from me) or at a selected polling location but I can't find anything that says where that specific location would be. All their links just lead me in a loop.

Going by this page:

https://www.lavote.net/home/voting-elections/voter-registration/conditional-voter-registration

The only place you could vote same day is at the County Clerk HQ in Norwalk. You could have also done a same day registration at one of the 10 designated weekend early voting locations in the county, but since it's not the weekend anymore, that leave just same day at Norwalk.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Also, you can always try living in a pod share (http://podshare.co) and seeing how it is for yourself.

Finally moving towards that Deus Ex future!

NVoZaNg.png

OP
OP
Dr. Feel Good

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how inflated the prices in Santa Monica have gotten, but if you can't find a nice 1br for 3k, that would suck.

Also, you can always try living in a pod share (http://podshare.co) and seeing how it is for yourself.
Definitely seem doable just a lot of the places seem very run of the mill, cookie cutter mega plexes which are not my favorite. We were fortunate to buy in Hollywood but we can't justify the commutes anymore and we sure as hell cant afford to buy on the west side. . :-/

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Finally moving towards that Deus Ex future!

NVoZaNg.png
That looks more like the Japanese hotels.

But it's pretty much communal living for the "share" economy, in which these people are probably making a lot of money.

Definitely seem doable just a lot of the places seem very run of the mill, cookie cutter mega plexes which are not my favorite. We were fortunate to buy in Hollywood but we can't justify the commutes anymore and we sure as hell cant afford to buy on the west side. . :-/
Get a self-driving car? Jk. (Though, I do have a model 3, and I really like it.)

You can try moving somewhere near the expo line. I know that would be my plan if I were to have a job in Santa Monica. :?

However, I'm currently in the bay area where prices range from 2K and up for 1br in the most boring place ever--the silicon valley. Oh, wait that's pretty much the entirety of the peninsula. 60 miles of nothing to do. It makes me almost miss LA though I wouldn't be caught saying that. :P (But I do.)

Last edited:

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Heading back to LA this December to see my family. I'll have some free days and was wondering if anyone knows any good men's clothing stores/boutiques you recommend. I'm from NYC so I have all the same brand/company stores here so mostly looking for small-ish independent stores that carry a range of brands and labels.

NYC examples are Nepenthes, CHCM, Creatures of Comfort, etc.

Didn't see any response to this one and I just remember the thread was even here (subscribed now!)

RSVP (downtown; streetwear
Horror Vacuo (downtown; vintage/designer)
Just One Eye (La Brea/Santa Monica; designer)
2nd Street (Melrose; vintage/consignment, Japanese designer)
Opening Ceremony (La Cienega/Melrose; designer)
American Rag (La Brea; designer + local brands)
Row DTLA (Arts District; multiple shops, Oak NYC, Bodega, Shades of Grey, etc)
Self Edge (La Brea; denim, leather)

OP
OP
Dr. Feel Good

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Officially moving to Santa Monica next week after 4 years in Hollywood. Excited for change but seems like a completely different world over there.

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
heyyyyyy has anyone ever been here?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/yup-dduk-la-los-angeles?osq=Restaurants

was searcching food in ktown and this place oooks real goof! like, I've nbever eaten this type of food before.

but the portions look so huge! do theye xpect ppl to always come eat in a big group?

I'm gonna be in the area next week and wanted something to eat, so gotta start doing my rtesearch now lol

golem

Oct 25, 2017

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a we tho.

I'm a me!

forever alone :(

so I dont wanna eat somewhere that feeds you like a family... unless someone wants to hang out with me :)

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
They're not absurd portions, you can see the size of the bowls in many pics on the Yelp page. If you're honestly worried about it being too much food, just skip breakfast!

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
lol the whole reasdon why I posted was coz I did look st the photos and got scared!!

I mean look at the size of this bowl compared to the dood trying to ea it!

WjUrrtyl.jpg

it's bigger than the dood himself!!

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
I mean huge ass soup bowls in asian restaurants is pretty common whether it be Japanese, Vietnamese or Korean. They can't be larger then the usual large ass bowls.

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
an update to my life:

first of all, they freakin shut down the Blue Line from Long Beach into LA through late May! that's dang near half of 2019, wtheck?!?!?!

I've grown so dependent on that train to get me to LA and this just goes to show again how terrible southern california is with public transportation >_<

anywayz, I went worst case and just got the chicken burger... not that there's anything wrong with chicken burgers!!!

QojZRuDl.jpg

XV3YVxZl.jpg

I think the peoples who were in charge of the graphic design of this shop had a real fun time lol.

anywayz, this sandwich is real freakin spicy!

not like Howling Ray spicy where you can only eat like half and save the other half for later,

but spicy like you're in pain, but not enough pain that you have to stop eating, so you keep eating until you finish the whole thing, only to feel absolutely miserable after.

like, it's a 1.5 mile walk between this store (Michin Dak) and the kpop shop (Choice Music); and that was a very painful walk indeed >_<

0Wc0mQIl.jpg

I didnt get the Michin Spicy tho (level 4); mine was just the level 3 spicy.

oh but I still got to eat the Sul Lung Tang for dinner... it was good too!!!

LGqRVo7l.jpg

apparently there's a Yup Dduk closer to me... in Cerritos. I'll have to go there one day since I can no longer take train to LA t(-_-t)

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Theres alot of really legit Korean food in Cerritos

Actually a pretty good eating neighborhood, especially with Artesia around the corner

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
I have a date there this week... I'm gonna suggest we go to this new poutine place lol. It looks good actually.

Wish me luck! coz my dating life's been poopoo since August lol.

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
whatuuuuuup! it's me! again! gotta question...

anyone have a dog?

or know where to get one?

story: I really wanted one, last year. Except my apartment at the time had a weight limit on pets (25 lbs) so I decided to find a new place to live.

Rent prices in CA is freakin stupid, so I bought myself a condo instead coz the price of mortgage + HOA is cheaper than paying rent. Seriously.

so come 2019 and I applied to the place I wanted to adopt from, Dove Project, and was rejected with no appeal whatsoever. Like they gave me a reason, and when I said I would rectify the reason (they were against crating) they persisted that I'm a no go.

I'm devastated, for reals. I spent a year reading about pet ownership and even bought myself a fucking home only to get a rejection in a single week.

so I need to find another place to adopt from... if anyone has recommendations let me know. I've yet to make any visits to any shelters, but just looking at online options I can't say I'm too enticed to adopt whatever I'm seeing is available :(

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Well if you have a preferred breed of some kind there are tons of specific breed rescue organizations out there that offer dogs for adoption. Just enter "breedname dog rescue Los Angeles" in a google search you'll get a few hits.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
No idea whom to vote for in this school board special election (I probably should have answered one of those many, many texts and phone calls, lol.)

Thoughts? My neighborhood is lousy with Allison Bajracharya signs.

edit: Jackie Goldberg hates charter schools and helps former inmates get jobs, that works for me!

Last edited:

Pokiehl

Oct 29, 2017
Hi all!

I'll be in LA for the first time as an "adult" for a conference at the end of April/early May. What neighborhood should I stay? I'm gay so my first thought is West Hollywood. But other areas like Silverlake sound cool. Hotel/AirBB reccomendations?

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Hi all!

I'll be in LA for the first time as an "adult" for a conference at the end of April/early May. What neighborhood should I stay? I'm gay so my first thought is West Hollywood. But other areas like Silverlake sound cool. Hotel/AirBB reccomendations?

where is the conference?

If you're in Silverlake, there isn't much for hotels.

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Conference is actually at Disney Studios, but I intend on extending my stay into a vacation and will relocate to a more convenient spot.

West Hollywood definitely is nice in terms of access to the west side (aka, Santa Monica, Venice) while also having its own restaurants and nightlife.

Silverlake is where I live, and is my preferred enclave of the city --- you'll find it's got many restaurants (I'd argue it's better located food wise), probably not quite the same level of nightlife though - similar access to hollywood, but much better access to downtown... while way worse for beach.

It mostly depends on what attractions/ things you want to do while here.

Pokiehl

Oct 29, 2017
Understood. I've no interest in the beach. Basically, I like cool coffee shops and restaurants, walk-ability and a decent nightlife.

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Understood. I've no interest in the beach. Basically, I like cool coffee shops and restaurants, walk-ability and a decent nightlife.

Both are good options then. I think WeHo is a little more refined, Silverlake a little more hipster.

Can't really go wrong tho either way, I think. Good food, nightlife, walkability in both.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Hi all!

Depends on how you like your nightlife: I'm also gay and think WeHo is unbearable both during the day and night. Just the highest possible saturation of obnoxious, fake residents and visitors. Silverlake is very pleasant. The Arts district is dope for an afternoon or evening, but small enough that it's not particularly fun beyond that.

edit: just realized how old that post was, hah. Point stands!

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
What is the best pizza in downtown LA ?

I haven't had anything in immediate downtown that's super memorable. Braazo probably wins by default. Olio in Grand Central is good (small pizzas) for lunch. Baldoria in Little Tokyo is great for non-traditional toppings and has an excellent happy hour (also small pizzas). Purgatory Pizza is my favorite if you're going delivery; they're not in downtown and I've never actually been to their location, but they're my go-to. Crust is different than what I'm used to, so ymmv.