• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Just tryin to get a darn burger in this town ;)

38370192056_beee7af80f_z.jpg

38394511072_2767957daa_z.jpg

It was pretty good!

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do like hamburgers, have eaten many in LA, adding that to the list. Surprised I haven't eaten there I live 5 min away.

Fake edit: Ooof, 18 bucks. Better be worth it.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Also went by the new Sichuan place The Legendary Restaurant... really good stuff. Couldn't really compare it to Chengdu taste because went with someone who isn't that into spicy food but definitely some good eats to be had there

38395099852_316176b8b9_z.jpg

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
golem I believe so, yeah. I got a slider platter, and while the KBBQ ones are easily the best (hard to beat something that's topped with kimchi and gochujang) the plain "cheeseburger" is worth trying: it's surprisingly close to a rare, crumbly hamburger.

Last edited:

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
the Petit Trois burger is aces.

All of Petit Trois is really tho. Ludo is awesome.

My favorite recent spots are Pizzana (omg Neo Marg pizza).

Still obsessed with Howlin' Rays... we should do an LA GAF line-meetup on a weekend

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
We are heading to San Diego for the first time over the long weekend next week. Any recommendations?
This is what we currently considering. :)

Thursday

• Silver Strand State Beach
  • Coronado
  • Seaport Village
  • Gas lamp district
Friday
  • La Jolla
  • Torrey pine trail
  • Del Mar Plaza
Saturday
  • Ocean Beach
  • Sunset Cliffs
  • Point Loma
  • Old Town

Last edited:

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
oh daaaaaang! I found the LA thread! aka thread for the worst city ever lol. I'm serious too.

anyways I'm JEKKI, currently residing in one of the most LA towns in LA, Santa Ana, which is also neighbor to LA's classic sports team the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

I once loved LA, with my dreams of being a huge extrovert and break dancer, lived there until 2011 when work brought me to OC but still commuted back a few times a week for dancing.

Now I'm in my mid-30s, have reverted back to my introvert self after realizing I wasn't actually having fun pushing myself so much, and pretty much hate LA now, even though I still love it for other things it does good :)

So last we left off in the thread on the older forum!! we were discussing the most important question ever...

where is the best burger in LA?!?!?!?!?!?! (or socal general)

I am very sad to say my top choice, Working Class Kitchen in Long Beach, is now closed :( but apparently another local restaurant in that hood (Michael's Pizzeria) is still serving up their burgers

http://www.longbeachize.com/long-be...working-class-kitchen-michaels-re-brands-dtlb

Just tryin to get a darn burger in this town ;)

38370192056_beee7af80f_z.jpg

38394511072_2767957daa_z.jpg

It was pretty good!

2 things! one, that burger is STILL on my list to try!!

two, but shout outs to the homie golem! In the last thread you recommended Burgers Never Say Die which I did have the opportunity to check out last year.

23161606_123162561712752_6150324925136633856_n.jpg

I mean, it's so plain and simple. Is it one of the best burgers in LA tho???

umm... I'd have to say yes.

For as simple as it is, they really pulled it off and somehow focused on what makes a burger good. It inspired me to make my own smashed patty burger (as suggested by broz0rs on the other forum, who does not appear to be here) and now I too am so proud of myself that I can also make delicious burgers!!

Still obsessed with Howlin' Rays... we should do an LA GAF line-meetup on a weekend
Yes let's do this!!!! It's my 2018 resolution to go to this place!!! when are we going?!?!

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's so plain and simple. Is it one of the best burgers in LA tho???

umm... I'd have to say yes.

For as simple as it is, they really pulled it off and somehow focused on what makes a burger good. It inspired me to make my own smashed patty burger (as suggested by broz0rs on the other forum, who does not appear to be here) and now I too am so proud of myself that I can also make delicious burgers!!

Haha glad you liked it (and also confirmed i wasnt crazy). My friend is also obsessed with making his own.. how are you doing it? What type of beef are you using?

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
I dunno, you guys tell me when you want to do a howlin meet-up.

if someone gives me any glimmer of an excuse to go there I will

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
Best burger I've had was at 26 Beach Cafe in Venice. I believe it was called King Kobe IV.
ok it's on the list now! after Petit Trois lol and some other spots in SaMo that made it on Eater's list.

I should also say, here in OC they opened a number of Hopdoddys, which is a texas joint that gets a lot of top hits when searching for the best burger over there.

it's like Umami Burger in that they have a lot of variety in the menu, which I actually do not like... I want a focused menu with only 1 or a few items that the store is very proud of.

however, the burger that I did get was quite good... think it's called "Good Night Good Cause" or something. I'd definitely go back and try again.

Haha glad you liked it (and also confirmed i wasnt crazy). My friend is also obsessed with making his own.. how are you doing it? What type of beef are you using?
just regular 80/20 fat I can get at the grocery, though I wouldnt mind going for a higher fat content one day.

I'm literally just following the instructions that were shared on the old forum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EAQvw0Ml5g

except I do not have a trowel or scraper, so just gotta use old fashioned arm strength and a steel spatula.

first few times I tried I fkked it up pretty bad, also set the smoke alarms off in my apartment >_< but after some trial and tribulation I'm pretty comfortable with the method and can do it as long as I'm making no more than 2 (otherwise I'm back in smokey city, unless I let the cast iron cool off a bit)

I actually plan on cooking one tomorrow. I'll share a pic later :)

La rules. Oc is garbage
they both suck lol. it's just which evil do you choose.

I've tried to move out of california altogether, trust me. Reason why I decided not to was coz new scenery ain't really gonna make me happy. I just want to live comfortably, and glad to say that I can do that here despite my minor day to day life grievances.

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
Counter is trash! that place is so bad! ugh, one of the worst and blandest things I ever ate and feel so bad for anyone who thinks it's actually decent to good.

yah, Counter Burger, terrible terrible place. They opened this spot in Costa Mesa too called Burger Lounge... that place is awful too!!!

anyways, my dinner for tonight:

BWE2lDYl.jpg

my rendition of the ultra smash burger.

so delicious! but my apartment is filled with smoke and smells like ground beef now lol. the price you pay...

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Just moved here to LA from Pennsylvania for work. Its beautiful the weather and all and the beaches, women etc.. Is it worth it though? I'm like paying almost 2k for 1 BR for rent.

Why do you guys like California ? Why do you continue to stay? It just costs too much and I still have 2 years until my contract ends to move or stay.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Just moved here to LA from Pennsylvania for work. Its beautiful the weather and all and the beaches, women etc.. Is it worth it though? I'm like paying almost 2k for 1 BR for rent.

Why do you guys like California ? Why do you continue to stay? It just costs too much and I still have 2 years until my contract ends to move or stay.

Native here so can't really answer your question since I'm biased. But 2k for a one bedroom is way too much imo. You can find one bedrooms in many parts of the city for much less. At that rate you might as well be paying a mortgage.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My gf just found us an apartment and I realized today that AT&T Fiber actually covers the apartment. I'm so excited, y'all. Does anyone else have it?

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So anybody else excited to just stay home Sunday and avoid the Marathon shit? Get that Netflix ready, fam!

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone around North Hollywood see/hear that armada of black police SUVs speed through 101 north? I work on the 29th floor and could hear them so loudly

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Wanna give props that the City of Angels has bar-none the best NPR station in the country and one of the best public broadcast stations in the world with KCRW. I don't even live in LA, but years ago when I took a job that had me on third shift, I'd miss NPR's morning edition here in Texas so I would stream off the west coast so I could hear the show.

KCRW has some fucking phenomenal stuff, music and talk shows.

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, KCRW is fantastic. Their jazz show is great and I've discovered a lot of my current favorite bands with Morning Becomes Eclectic.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
KPCC > KCRW any day of the week for talk programs. They just don't play music which i don't care about cause the KCRW DJ's have terrible taste and all they play is milquetoast tripe.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
41081677542_9e6e39a727.jpg

My friends insisted on swinging by on National Hot Chicken day.. luckily the line wasn't too epic today

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Day time long sleeve shirt wearing time is over. I nearly melted today walking a mile. It was 90 in Glendale =(

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a discord for this? I have the potential to move out to LA for law school but wanted to ask some questions.

I was just in your guys town this week and loved the school but as an NYC guy still iffy.