• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Just look at it.

Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES.

It looks like something out of a Final Fantasy game. Googled and it apparently translates from Spanish to The Angels. That's cool as fuck. Where am I from?

GLASGOW. Uh. So boring.

P.S I've been to LA and Anaheim (dunno if Anaheim is "part" of LA) and Anaheim was a wonderous place. Hollywood sucked tho. But DAT NAME.

phillbott

Jul 21, 2018
Calgary
DildoNewfoundland.jpg

Sep 14, 2019
Do love this city and it's name.

Just don't call us "Angelenos." A perfect way to find out who wasn't raised in the area LOL.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, the english enunciation is whatever, but "The Angels" in its native Spanish sounds dope.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles is actually named after the Virgin Mary, "Our Lady the Queen of the Angels"

The Angels for short... could have gone any other way, like Nuestra Señora (Our Lady), or Reina (Queen) :P

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
1200px-Llanfair_railway_station_sign_banner.jpg

aka ' St Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the Red Cave '

or just Llanfair-pwll

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really think about it because I live there, but "the Netherlands" sounds like something straight outta Tolkien.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
1200px-Llanfair_railway_station_sign_banner.jpg

aka ' St Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the Red Cave '

or just Llanfair-pwll
lmao is that Welsh?

I love that name. Reminds me of Wheel of Time when Perrin shortens a wolf's name because it is like "a cold breeze off the thin ice of a semi frozen pond on a mid-winter day in a cloudless sky with a rabbit in your mouth"

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Just look at it.

Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES.

It looks like something out of a Final Fantasy game. Googled and it apparently translates from Spanish to The Angels. That's cool as fuck. Where am I from?

GLASGOW. Uh. So boring.

P.S I've been to LA and Anaheim (dunno if Anaheim is "part" of LA) and Anaheim was a wonderous place. Hollywood sucked tho. But DAT NAME.
It also helps that with both "Los" and "Angeles" ending in "s", it helps it roll off the tongue and give it a smooth sound.

And yes, Hollywood sucks. Anybody living in LA KNOWS that Hollywood's basically a tourist trap cesspool. Most depictions on television shows and movies showing Hollywood to be some beacon of glamour and movie-star luxury either never been there and are relying on memories from watching movies from the Golden Age of Hollywood (or I Love Lucy), or they know how shit Hollywood is and are blatantly trying to dress it up like a pig wearing makeup.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Always been partial to Hell Gate a bit north of NYC.

For interesting ones though, the lake my grandfather lives on over in Webster always took it.
Lake_Name.jpg

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I was thinking about this a few weeks ago. I lived in San Diego up until this summer when I lost the job opportunity I had due to COVID and had to move, and I miss it there. I'm sure most of this is like speculative dot connecting, but I think there is something to the names of the big cities in California that makes them attractive. Even the state name itself has a ring to it that I don't think most other states have (granted I'm originally from Kansas, which has as flat and neutral of a name as the state itself deserves). But like Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, those are good city names. I think those names carry a mystique. Maybe it's just the length of the city name with the state name. I can't fully explain it, but some names just fit, like how New Orleans, Louisiana and Miami, Florida sound like the perfect names for those cities' cultures, or how most of the big Texas cities have two-syllable names like the state's name does, so when you hear "Dallas, Texas" there's some straightforward, no-nonsense power to it. I think that's a pseudo-cogent phenomenon.

Also there's that weird phenomenon where every city and state's name is somewhat affected by the population's accent (most obvious case is how the two O's in 'Boston' exemplify the Massachusetts accent or how you can diminish the 'r' in 'New York' for that accent too). I don't know if that fits here but I always found it interesting

Sep 14, 2019
I always thought that was the right way... what is the local preference? I don't think I've heard another naming convention...

I mean, we won't give you crap for it (unless you're some gentrifier...), but it's just the perfect sign to know someone wasn't raised in LA.

I was recently thinking about this very thing, though. I don't think we really refer to ourselves as anything... We just say "They're from East LA," "we're from Boyle Heights," "they're from Koreatown," or simply "we're from LA."

this is ridiculous every time.

See what I mean, El_TigroX ? 😆

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Googled and it apparently translates from Spanish to The Angels.

This is accurate. A lot of places in the US have Spanish names. "Las Vegas" for example just means "the meadows", "San Francisco" is just the Spanish name of Saint Francis (of Asis), etc. Pretty much every name that starts with "el", "la", "los", "las" or "san" is a Spanish name.

(special mention for "La Brea Tar Pits"; "brea" means "tar" so it would be "The Tar tar pits").