• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People here will find a way to hate and say it's nothing, but this is an awesome gesture!
I'm not going to hate, and it is an awesome gesture. My problem, however, is that even with the stock market tanking and many businesses shuttered, these corporations and billionaires are still donating large sums of money. So why are we not taxing them way more? Clearly they can afford it.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to hate, and it is an awesome gesture. My problem, however, is that even with the stock market tanking and many businesses shuttered, these corporations and billionaires are still donating large sums of money. So why are we not taxing them way more? Clearly they can afford it.

You guys know that would just lead to layoffs and increased prices. The little guy still gets fucked.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
You can't donate .05% of your net worth? Lmaooo
Hilarious. Yeah I miscalculated. I was calculating 5% of my salary rather than 0.05%

Not really funny though. A guy with that much money in a time of literal world crisis and he's only donating such a flimsy amount? What good are these people, honestly? It's all just a fucking game to him and Bezos etc. By right we should be taking every penny of their wealth whether it is real or numbers on the stock market and fucking putting it to good use. It's shameful we as a species have gotten to this point where some have literally unfathomable levels of wealth and billions can barely even eat or exist.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Good dude, Balmer!

Balmer is doing more for Detroit than the President.

Hell, we have millionaires & billionaires that are doing more for this country than Trump. That's the irony of this, considering that Trump himself has claimed he's a billionaire (which the majority of people like myself doubt).

spwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Hilarious. Yeah I miscalculated. I was calculating 5% of my salary rather than 0.05%

Not really funny though. A guy with that much money in a time of literal world crisis and he's only donating such a flimsy amount? What good are these people, honestly? It's all just a fucking game to him and Bezos etc. By right we should be taking every penny of their wealth whether it is real or numbers on the stock market and fucking putting it to good use. It's shameful we as a species have gotten to this point where some have literally unfathomable levels of wealth and billions can barely even eat or exist.

- We have the right to take other peoples money?
- As species, we are much better off than before.

And yes, good on him for donating it.

1280px-World-population-in-extreme-poverty-absolute.svg.png

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you donated whatever % of your net wealth that this equates to?

25 million of 50 billion is 0.05%. So like, for someone that makes, say, $20,000 a year, that would be $10. At $40k, $20. And so forth. I don't think it would be outlandish to think that someone on this board has exceeded donating this percentage of their wealth.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
No. He's part of the problem.

Agreed. No way should he have so much wealth due to owning large stakes in a company he himself helped start up into a worldwide multi billion dollar company. You know, Microsoft?

You should just be taking people money? By right? Lol.

On what basis do you get to just decide when and where to reach out and take possession of someone else's money?

Also in what world is $25m a flimsy amount? Is he supposed to give up half or maybe a quarter of his worth?

Okay, now next time we have a problem does he give up the other half? Maybe another quarter or so?

It's crazy to read this thread and find posts reacting negatively. The man didn't have to donate anything, but he did. It's a kind gesture and good on him for doing so.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
25 million of 50 billion is 0.05%. So like, for someone that makes, say, $20,000 a year, that would be $10. At $40k, $20. And so forth. I don't think it would be outlandish to think that someone on this board has exceeded donating this percentage of their wealth.

No I don't think it's outlandish, but I guarantee you there are posters who are criticizing this who don't.

And that's to say nothing of the scaling or the jobs he creates.

I just find it outlandish that people cry for him to give more but those same people are well enough off that they plan to use their stimulus check for next-gen consoles and aren't giving anything themselves.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's put this another way, if someone making only $20,000 a year managed to donate $100 to covid, they would be donating ten times as much of their total wealth than Steve Ballmer just donated.

People ITT being like "it's a lot of money" -- primarily, it's a lot of money because the wealth is horded at the top, so to everyone else left over, it's a lot of money. With a more natural distribution of wealth, this isn't a large amount of money. It's only a "large amount of money" because people like Steve Ballmer hold all the chips.

Agreed. No way should he have so much wealth due to owning large stakes in a company he himself helped start up into a worldwide multi billion dollar company. You know, Microsoft?

Oh ya, I know microsoft. They're the company that had an anti-trust lawsuit filed over them on ballmer's reign for anti-competitive practices, who introduced the concept of "embrace, extend, extinguish." Truly, his money was not ill gotten. BTW Steve Ballmer became CEO of microsoft in 2000, 25 years after microsoft was started, and he became CEO when Microsoft was already the world's richest electronics company.

BTW, Steve Ballmer's reign as Microsoft CEO is known in tech circles as the "Lost decade" because they lost a ton of ground compared to when Bill Gates was CEO.

Last edited:

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

More like if someone earns $20K on year in a ROTH IRA and they decide to donate from there, the would have sell their equity/bonds and take a distribution out in the amount of $10.

You're comparing annual salary to overall wealth.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I'm convinced some of you guys make it a goal in life to try to be as miserable as possible.
Even during a pandemic, where everyone feels awful, there's someone pissing on a good story. Do you have to go out of your way to be this miserable? Isn't there already enough reasons to be?
Which is what? Donate all their money to the government? What happens after that? We expect the next generation of billionaires to do that also?

Fuck that. Structural issues require structural solutions, overhaul the tax code, close the loopholes to ensure the wealth gap is never this bad again.

And besides, just saying "pay your taxes" doesn't mean anything on it's own, unless you're implying that Ballmer is engaged in tax fraud or evasion.

You should just be taking people money? By right? Lol.

On what basis do you get to just decide when and where to reach out and take possession of someone else's money?

Also in what world is $25m a flimsy amount? Is he supposed to give up half or maybe a quarter of his worth?

Okay, now next time we have a problem does he give up the other half? Maybe another quarter or so?

It's crazy to read this thread and find posts reacting negatively. The man didn't have to donate anything, but he did. It's a kind gesture and good on him for doing so.
I understand your concern and see the source of your argument, but I beg you to not lose perspective.

A billionaire person possesses such a incredibly, incredibly immense kind of privilege, that it takes almost every measurement unneeded except for the privilege itself. These people are, more often than not, a systematic failure, because there's one point the system glitches itself and starts creating infinite, unending, unlimited amounts of money at a rate you couldn't even fathom while being said billionaire.

If you take that to the point of 54 billions, the most interesting question is not how much privileged billionaires are, but how these people aren't driven mad. Not to mention how their concentrated capitals with few retribution avenues hinder economic (and power) flow and such the basis in which the neoliberal institutionalism is built on seems flawed.

Seeing it under a not-radical view (which would include hard redistribution of their wealth), at the very least, billionaires shouldn't be avoiding paying fair taxes. It's well known billionaires and the companies they build their fortune from avoid paying their share under using grey tax evasion (location tax etc), avoiding a healtier social flow of capital that would ensure subsidies for the system's inherent failures, in which (most) other people suffer on, but are, however, almost inevitable in any human construct.

These types of charity gestures are, of course, thanked, but they ought not being "celebrated", as any kind of sincere humanitarian intent on the billionaires' part would had manifested in many other, less actively unempathetic ways.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

No need "take" anything. That's stupid. What should actually happening is that there should be more opportunities for employees below the top to "earn" a significantly larger share of ownership in the company as a reward for helping drive the value. People like Bezos worth so much strictly due the share they own.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
ymAEowV.png

lol pocket change

It doesn't fucking matter what he is "worth".

Jesus. Just the fact someone is willing to do ANYTHING is awesome.

Heyo wouldn't it be cool if we just taxed them properly and used that money for something that helps everyone all the time?

People need to understand perspective. A million seconds is roughly 11.5 days. A billion seconds is almost 30 years. Now imagine over 50 times that amount, and ONE person owns it all. Billionaires should not exist. He and every other billionaire should have their exuberant wealth redistributed via taxation.

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
Have you donated whatever % of your net wealth that this equates to?
Most people probably have yes.
It's 0.05% so for most people this is like donating 20 bucks.
Literally if you have 100k net worth the equivalent amount is $50.
Still good on him, I'm sure every org who gets this will be great fun, but don't pretend this isn't chump change to him.

brownmagic

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility
ymAEowV.png

lol pocket change

Heyo wouldn't it be cool if we just taxed them properly and used that money for something that helps everyone all the time?

People need to understand perspective. A million seconds is roughly 11.5 days. A billion seconds is almost 30 years. Now imagine over 50 times that amount, and ONE person owns it all. Billionaires should not exist. He and every other billionaire should have their exuberant wealth redistributed via taxation.

Why does everything have to be black and white on this forum.

I don't know about you, but I have enough brain cells to hold multiple opinions:

1) We can celebrate anyone doing something for the betterment of the world.
2) We can advocate and vote for leaders that want to close the wealth gap (via taxation, closing loopholes, etc), with the aim of making sure that billionaires don't have that much money while the majority of people are struggling.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I'm glad he is. More of these rich folk need to step up. I certainly can't because they have all my money.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
The fool.

If only he had donated nothing. Then he could have avoided getting judged for not donating enough.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clearly the solution here is that Steve Ballmer should donate nothing to avoid mass outrage.

Yeah, people only started complaining about the massive wealth inequality between the average citizen and the 1% and how fucked up the system is once Steve Ballmer opened his mouth. Nobody complained about this stuff before. Certainly nobody had any problems with Steve Ballmer's wealth or how he aquired it at "Micro$oft." Note I spelled it with a dollar sign, which is something people totally never did before.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yes, because the only options are donating 0.05% of your total wealth, or donating 99.999% of your wealth.
Donating .005% of His wealth is still.a shit ton more than any of these Hollywood stars are doing

You rather him do nothing at all? In a world where no one else is stepping up like that why should he should donate even more?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Donating .005 of His wealth is still.a shit ton more than any of these Hollywood stars are doing

and because I'm sitting here praising the shit out of how hollywood stars are handling the corona virus and using their wealth, clearly that's a great response to me. Because when I complain about wealth being hoarded by the rich, I mean everybody except hollywood stars, obviously.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
I don't get it. Why would anyone frame this as a bad thing? Yes, for Balmer 25 million is nothing, but for the organizations that receive this money, it isn't.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. Why would anyone frame this as a bad thing? Yes, for Balmer 25 million is nothing, but for the organizations that receive this money, it isn't.

It's not "nothing" for the organization receiving the money, because they have so little, precisely because of the system Ballmer has gamed. Why are hospitals beholden to the owner of a basketball team for financial support? The harm his extreme wealth does, is not even remotely offset by this donation. To disagree is to think that the extreme lopsidedness of the world's inequality in wealth is acceptable.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
and because I'm sitting here praising the shit out of how hollywood stars are handling the corona virus and using their wealth, clearly that's a great response to me. Because when I complain about wealth being hoarded by the rich, I mean everybody except hollywood stars, obviously.
You're not, I don't think you would praise anyone not living in debt. I'm just saying when we live in a world filled with actors and actresses getting paid millions to do a movie and they pretend to be all about humanity and all this other morally righteous stuff on twitter. Where are they now, this guy decided to put some money forward and right away you're complaining it's not enough.

I don't think you will be satisfied until what, he donates 25%, maybe 30% of his wealth? Probably some unreasonable amount.

But maybe what this will do is get the ball rolling and other people will start donating as well, and then maybe we will have a better chance fighting off this virus medically.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're not, I don't think you would praise anyone not living in debt.

Oh yeah, you're the guy who said people want people to give 99.999% of their wealth already, what on earth am I doing still responding to you.

but to give some perspective, I donated more to Talal relative to my net worth, than Steve Ballmer just did for covid-19.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Well, yes. And you're not wrong. And we shouldn't rely on billionaires, and people with this amount of wealth probably shouldn't exist.

But, also, it's $25 million.

I've never liked this argument mostly because the country excuses the wealth inequality and privatization of everything under the argument that the wealthy, corporations, private sector can better serve the needs and are better equipped to help people out of poverty and sickness

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never liked this argument mostly because the country excuses the wealth inequality and privatization of everything under the argument that the wealthy, corporations, private sector can better serve the needs and are better equipped to help people out of poverty and sickness

Yup, good ol' trickle down health care. And don't forget to say please and thank you to the rich for allowing enough money to slip out for supplies to be bought during a global pandemic.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Oh yeah, you're the guy who said people want people to give 99.999% of their wealth already, what on earth am I doing still responding to you.

but to give some perspective, I donated more to Talal relative to my net worth, than Steve Ballmer just did for covid-19.
25 million more than they had the day before. You act like it's chump change. This is where this whole back and forth is stemming from. You think he should give more and I think more people with disposable income should chip in their own $25 million.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
Not really sure what you mean because that sounds pretty in line with what I was trying to say.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We are in this emergency situation because of Ballmer and his peer group to begin with. All those hospitals that closed down in the last decade could have used sheltered tax money to stay afloat.