• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Lore Olympus is a webcomic, currently up on Webtoons, written and illustrated by Rachel Smythe.

www.webtoons.com

Lore Olympus

Witness what the gods do…after dark. The friendships and the lies, the gossip and the wild parties, and of course, forbidden love. Because it turns out, the gods aren’t so different from us after all, especially when it comes to their problems. Stylish and immersive, this is one of mythology’s...

From Wikipedia

Lore Olympus is a third-generation romance webcomic or webtoon created by Rachel Smythe, slated as a modern retelling of the relationship between the Greek goddess and god Persephone and Hades.

It began publishing weekly on WEBTOON on March 4, 2018. Lore Olympus is currently the most popular webcomic on the platform with over 300 million views and 3.9 million subscribers as of May 2020.

And it is amazing! Since the only other thread about it hasn't been responded to since October of last year and Season 2 just started up I decided to make it an OT!

The Premise
The Greek Gods are real and Olympus and the Underworld are much more like our modern world than you would expect. The Gods, nymphs and other mythological creatures walk around wearing modern fashion, using modern technology and the realm itself has business and corporation likened to our current modern Era.

Due to a prank performed by Goddess Aphrodite on the newest Goddess on Olympus, Persephone, Persephone finds herself in the presence of Hades, God and CEO of the Underworld.

What follows in a whirlwind of Greek Mythology told through a modern lense. A story of disappointments, heartbreak, romance, family and obligations.

Content Warning
Lore Olympus does deal with sexual assault, both the act itself and the psychological after effects. It also contains stories of emotional abuse by both family members and partners.

Each issue that deals with them are clearly marked and even state when the content begins in the issue itself so you can skip over it.

The Greek Chorus
(Not Actually but I couldn't help but call the cast this. Also not the entire cast but more the major players who have the most effect on the story)

HADES
latest

God and CEO of the Underworld and one of the two main protagonists. He is feared and looked down on because of his role in the Pantheon, though in reality he is rather gentle.

Also dedicated Dog Poppa.

PERSEPHONE
latest

Goddess of the Spring and the newest arrival to Olympus. She was raised in the Mortal Realm by her mother Demeter. As a result she is rather sheltered and naive.

She didn't even own a phone until given one by...

ARTEMIS
latest

Goddess of the Hunt and Persephone's housemate. She agreed to take care of and protect Persephone while she stays in Olympus.

Sister of Apollo and friend of Hermes. She has a wicked temper and has an extreme dislike of Hades.

EROS
latest

God of Love and Sex. A charming, happy and mostly kind person. However, due to a perceived slight on his mother Aphrodite, he is complicit in the prank that starts off the story.

Could also be considered the God of Social Media.

APHRODITE
latest

Goddess of Love and Beauty. She has a rather fiery temper and is very harsh on those she dislikes. She pulled a prank on Persephone due to the perceived slight at a party done by another.

Stay on her good side.

ZEUS
latest

God of the Sky and King of the Gods. Younger brother of Hades As King of the Gods he demands attention whenever he wants it. Well know for his open secret of sneaking to the mortal world to have extramarital affairs.

His advice is always selfish, either towards what he wants or what he would want.

MINTHE
latest

Hades's executive assistant and lover. A river nymph who seems to be using Hades for his status and possibility of being uplifted past her current position and into Godhood.

Her story... is a journey.

APOLLO
latest

God of the sun, light, oracles, knowledge, healing, diseases, music, poetry, songs, dance, archery, herds and flocks, prophecy, etc. Serious pick a major already! Twin brother of Artemis. I can't say much about this character because of spoilers.

Seriously if I say what I want to say it would give things away.

Support the Creator
If you like the series consider supporting Rachel Smythe on her Patreon.

Patreon

Patreon is empowering a new generation of creators. Support and engage with artists and creators as they live out their passions!

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
YASSSSSSSSSSSSS. Fantastic webcomic. Lovely art and the comedy is genuinely funny.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Love the series. Can't wait for the show, too.

(Though I assume it'll be a while. Damn 'rona.)

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
My friend recommended this to me a while ago because I was talking about how few stories there are with Persephone. I really like it. The characterization of almost all the gods are great, it feels really well researched. It definitely has my favorite take on Hera in a very long time. I had no idea there was going to be a show though, I hope it turns out great.

OP
OP
deimosmasque

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
My friend recommended this to me a while ago because I was talking about how few stories there are with Persephone. I really like it. The characterization of almost all the gods are great, it feels really well researched. It definitely has my favorite take on Hera in a very long time. I had no idea there was going to be a show though, I hope it turns out great.

Hera is great. We've come a long way from Hercules the Legendary Journeys and the original Clash of the Titans for treating Hera as a villain because...

*checks notes*

Zeus cheated on her.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Whilst hiding from some responsibilities I got caught up! Including Fast Pass stuff. So much plot so quickly, it's not good for my heart!

OP
OP
deimosmasque

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
New issue is up.

www.webtoons.com

Lore Olympus - (S2) Episode 117

Witness what the gods do…after dark. The friendships and the lies, the gossip and the wild parties, and of course, forbidden love. Because it turns out, the gods aren’t so different from us after all, especially when it comes to their problems. Stylish and immersive, this is one of mythology’s...

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
New ep!

The "people in Hades' realm freak the fuck out when he shows up" gag shouldn't keep being funny to me but it is. "He's THE BOSS, but he's IN MY SHOP WHAT DO I DO" says the pawnshop owner.

Well, extort him, obviously. You love to see it.

Looking forward to Apollo getting what's coming to him. And Minthe et al, to a lesser extent. I do feel bad for her, she's just got so many toxic relationships.

OP
OP
deimosmasque

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
New ep!

The "people in Hades' realm freak the fuck out when he shows up" gag shouldn't keep being funny to me but it is. "He's THE BOSS, but he's IN MY SHOP WHAT DO I DO" says the pawnshop owner.

Well, extort him, obviously. You love to see it.

Looking forward to Apollo getting what's coming to him. And Minthe et al, to a lesser extent. I do feel bad for her, she's just got so many toxic relationships.
Minthe deserves both scorn and sympathy. The cycle of abuse can be a terrible thing.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamnit OP. From the time you posted this thread until earlier this very day, I have binged this. It's SO good. Now I am caught up sans fast pass. I am going to get it, aren't I?

OP
OP
deimosmasque

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Goddamnit OP. From the time you posted this thread until earlier this very day, I have binged this. It's SO good. Now I am caught up sans fast pass. I am going to get it, aren't I?

The Fast Pass is only 3 weeks ahead. While nice it just means you'll be back to week to week after you do so.

Glad you like it though! My partner had been telling to read it for months and when I finally did, I binged it in two days then starting writing this topic.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You might hold out for a while.
I didn't haha.
The Fast Pass is only 3 weeks ahead. While nice it just means you'll be back to week to week after you do so.

Glad you like it though! My partner had been telling to read it for months and when I finally did, I binged it in two days then starting writing this topic.
Yeah I caved and now I am week-to-week. I am shocked at how much I like this.

It a LITTLE bit reminds me of the videogame "Hades" in that it portrays Greek deities and other mythological figures as people, and I have always been fascinated with Greek myth (I mean it's kinda got it all.) But this goes so much harder! Rachel is also just a really gifted storyteller and artist, so the theme is sorta just icing on the cake.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I didn't haha.

Yeah I caved and now I am week-to-week. I am shocked at how much I like this.

It a LITTLE bit reminds me of the videogame "Hades" in that it portrays Greek deities and other mythological figures as people, and I have always been fascinated with Greek myth (I mean it's kinda got it all.) But this goes so much harder! Rachel is also just a really gifted storyteller and artist, so the theme is sorta just icing on the cake.
how are you liking Hades btw? I've been thinking of checking it out.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
how are you liking Hades btw? I've been thinking of checking it out.
It's amazing. Caveat: you have to be up for some brutal difficulty spikes and have a liking for twitch combat, but you gain something every run and the social stuff with the gods and other mythological figures constantly changes and is really well-written. They are humanized in a way that is quite similar to Lore Olympus, and each of them are well-defined in a similar fashion.

But yeah, it's tough. Great gameplay, but (in a fair way) tough.

OP
OP
deimosmasque

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It's amazing. Caveat: you have to be up for some brutal difficulty spikes and have a liking for twitch combat, but you gain something every run and the social stuff with the gods and other mythological figures constantly changes and is really well-written. They are humanized in a way that is quite similar to Lore Olympus, and each of them are well-defined in a similar fashion.

But yeah, it's tough. Great gameplay, but (in a fair way) tough.

I had actually never heard the game. I'll have to check it out.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I made a thread ages ago and nobody replied so I assumed nobody read it, glad to see there's a small group of fellow fans. Love the art.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yeah, this comic is so fun to read and so stylish!
The fact that Rachel has a cartoon series based on the comic coming out at some point is also pretty amazing..

I even made a bit o' fanart for it back when the #drawinyourstyle meme was happening (the other couples are just my OCs lol):
EgKYzspXYAEWvy4

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Ah yeah, this comic is so fun to read and so stylish!
The fact that Rachel has a cartoon series based on the comic coming out at some point is also pretty amazing..

I even made a bit o' fanart for it back when the #drawinyourstyle meme was happening (the other couples are just my OCs lol):
EgKYzspXYAEWvy4

She said on her twitter that it might not be happening anytime soon, which is a shame. But maybe later!!

Also dang these look fantastic!!!!!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Been a minute, but I read the newest Fastpass chapter and had to get a hearty FUCK APOLLO off of my chest.

Also, for any folks reading this thread who enjoyed Hades (or Lore Olympus fans who haven't played it yet), there's a lot of good overlap there~

OP
OP
deimosmasque

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
As I just started playing Hades this weekend I had noticed a bit of overlap 😉

But I think more of Hadestown than Lore Olympus when playing it.

OP
OP
deimosmasque

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So the last few issues have been really intense. Season 2 has been in my opinion a lot of filler but now it's finally getting to adaptation of the myth its based off, just from its own perspective.

The Kidnapping of Persephone

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Been getting caught up on this. New coin chapter today!!!

Genuinely, I do feel bad for Minthe. She's unquestionably toxic, but unlike somebody like Apollo, it doesn't come from a place of privilege, really. She's just fucked up. I hope they figure out a way to turn her back to a person rather than a garnish.

I'm not sure how to feel about Apollo getting a secondary motive, on that note. On the one hand, he's still basically an asshole - pursuing Persephone for bad reasons does not in and of itself necessitate his behavior towards her or Daphne. That's all on him. But it still feels a little bad, creating a supernatural reason for them interacting instead of it being just about his toxic masculinity.

I'm very happy for Hestia and Athena. Got that vibe off them the first time around. Do feel bad for Artemis, though, she's the only one of the Maidenhood Goddesses not getting any XD

And, latest chapter: omg I love Persephone's sisters(?). "No, the recipe is wrong, that's not enough garlic." PREACH. Very ominous stinger, though. And we need followup on whatever the hell was going on last chapter with Hera!!!