• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Unlike most people I actually enjoyed first hobbit film and second one to lesser extent .

There were certain aspects of the first and some of the second I enjoyed. I even liked Smaug and Bilbo scene in the second movie in 3D/48 fps on an Imax screen, one of my top 5 cinema going experiences. 3rd one is utter trash. Probably would consider picking up the movies if 3D/48 fps ever made to home viewing in some fashion just for the technical merits, otherwise the movies are easy to avoid in this round of releases and will be impossible to avoid next summer.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
As I've said in other threads, the EE of the third Hobbit film makes it watchable. Still not GOOD, mind you, but not the train wreck the theatrical cut was.

It does one thing that was still such a glaring omission from the theatrical release that I'm still in complete disbelief that they didn't include it:

How do you not show Thorin's
funeral which also, more importantly, shows what happens to the Arkenstone? The stone was a key part in the entire quest and they completely omit its true fate in the movie. It's honestly the only redeeming thing about the BoFA and I literally screamed in excitement "IT'S THERE!" when I saw the scene watching the Extended Edition earlier this year.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot I really like in The Hobbit movies - the Misty Mountains song, the Riddles in the Dark scene, Martin Freeman, Cumberbatch Smaug, but also so much that just takes me out of it and ruins it. The Goblin King, Azog's design, the ugliness of the final movie in particular, new Wormtongue, the CGI wizard battle in the third film, the Tauriel and dwarf relationship.

I still contend the cartoon Hobbit is the better version and even feels more serious at times.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen The Hobbit since theaters. I've wanted to check out the EE though.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure there's a bunch of them, but is there a fan cut of the Hobbit Trilogy that's widely liked?

Someone who has taken the 3 movies and cuts out the fat to make a better experience overall?
Taking out stuff like taking out most of the elf/dwarf love triangle, and just make it more focused on Bilbo (THE HOBBIT) and the Dwarves?

I don't hate the Hobbit trilogy, but it would be nice to have a... tighter way to rewatch them in the future.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure there's a bunch of them, but is there a fan cut of the Hobbit Trilogy that's widely liked?

Someone who has taken the 3 movies and cuts out the fat to make a better experience overall?
Taking out stuff like taking out most of the elf/dwarf love triangle, and just make it more focused on Bilbo (THE HOBBIT) and the Dwarves?

I don't hate the Hobbit trilogy, but it would be nice to have a... tighter way to rewatch them in the future.

The "Arkenstone" recut of the first one (I think the editor goes by Kerr?) is one of my all-time favorite fan edits in how it trims some of the fat from the theatrical edition while supplementing with character moments from the expanded cut. All completely seamless, too.

They did edits of the other two movies as well but I haven't watched them.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what projector he's got. Just did a quick search and couldn't find a post with his theater equipment.

He says: Currently, I'm using an Epson 5040UB projector with a 110" diagonal projection screen. Also, a Samsung flat panel for comparison and a newer LG to examine Dolby Vision.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

www.maple-films.com

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit is in the running for Fan Edit of the Month on Fanedit.org! If you enjoyed this edit, please cast a vote in its favor! And while you're on the website, leave a nice review...

ThatThomas

Sep 3, 2018
The first Hobbit movie is probably my second favorite Middle-Earth movie after Fellowship (which is so much better than the other five that it's almost ridiculous). The second one is solid, and the third one was barely elevated to okay-ish by the extended cut.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
The "Arkenstone" recut of the first one (I think the editor goes by Kerr?) is one of my all-time favorite fan edits in how it trims some of the fat from the theatrical edition while supplementing with character moments from the expanded cut. All completely seamless, too.

www.maple-films.com

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit is in the running for Fan Edit of the Month on Fanedit.org! If you enjoyed this edit, please cast a vote in its favor! And while you're on the website, leave a nice review...
Awesome! I'll take a look at these.

Super excited for the 4K LOTR release, but I'll probably wait for a while to get them.
First I need a 4K TV, haha.

And I just did a rewatch of the movies and I want to give myself another few months or a year to do it again.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Man I can't wait. I'm gonna crank that Atmos sound up and piss off my neighbors. Totally worth it. One of the few bright moments of 2020.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I wish there was more news on the special set for next year. Mock-up pucs of the contents, pre-order links... something.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
Sony had slowly shaped it to their shifting purposes, and made it better, as they thought, being deceived - for all those arts and subtle devices for which they forsook their former wisdom, and which fondly they imagined were their own, came but from Mordor; so that what they made was naught, only a little copy, a child's model or a slave's flattery, of that vast fortress, armoury prison, furnace of great power, Barad-dûr, The Dark Tower, which suffered no rival, and laughed at flattery, biding it's time, secure in its pride and its immeasurable strength.

That was a good read!

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Man I am so hyped for this set, can't wait to experience these films again on my LG CX.

The good news is i'm getting the steelbook set but the bad news is I told my wife it would be my Christmas present so I have to wait until after Christmas to watch them.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
90 dollars fuuuuuuuuck... need to cop this. Also people saying they never seen LOTR feels like being 'OK Boomer'd' at age 26.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA

Where do you find these edits? Ive been looking everywhere and cant find a download link

Falcon

Oct 27, 2017
So I have an LG CX65 coming soon but I'm reading some stuff about Dolby Vision not being supported on PS5. What would be the best way to watch these if I pay the ridiculous cost for these blu-rays? Does the XSX support Dolby Vision and would it be a better experience?