• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds like these are gonna be the definitive demo discs then? So hyped, glad I pre-ordered the steel book edition. Been wanting to rewatch these for 6 months now, I'm so glad I waited it out for this release.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Artistic choice I think, I think green was considered to be that movie's colour, like how the EE cover was green, maybe that's why.

Nah from what I remember reading it was a mistake. Something involving the white color balance being thrown off during encoding, I think?

EDIT: Oh and wanted to chime in that those pics look great. Lets hope any DNR is kept to a minimum.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of the Ultimate edition, it would be hilarious if the new bonus content is a secretly filmed Tom Bombadil scene that Peter and co have kept in the vault up until now.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Speaking of the Ultimate edition, it would be hilarious if the new bonus content is a secretly filmed Tom Bombadil scene that Peter and co have kept in the vault up until now.

Would it include the hobbits running around naked

Wait, was Tom naked, too? Been a good number of years since I've read the books. lol

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
So hyped for these, glad I pre-ordered the steelbook set.

It's disappointing the PS5 doesn't have Dolby Vision support as i'll be watching these on an LG CX, hopefully they should still be great though.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
So hyped for these, glad I pre-ordered the steelbook set.

It's disappointing the PS5 doesn't have Dolby Vision support as i'll be watching these on an LG CX, hopefully they should still be great though.
Sony's DV support even on their 4k bluray players is wonky at best so I wouldn't expect too much from it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I might cancel my order and just watch the iTunes versions for now, then get the ultimate edition next year. Quality won't be quite as good, but at least I'll get to utilize Dolby Vision.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
There's a really strong green filter applied to the extended edition of Fellowship on Blu-ray. It's not present on the DVDs or in any of the versions of the theatrical release.

And as someone that saw Fellowship 7 times in the theater, the snow wasn't teal in the theatrical releases either, nor is it native even to the EE. And I saw the FOTR EE in the theater for time #7 on Trilogy Tuesday, along with the TTT EEE and ROTK.

Wish the shiny version of this wasn't all the way to next summer.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
And as someone that saw Fellowship 7 times in the theater, the snow wasn't teal in the theatrical releases either, nor is it native even to the EE. And I saw the FOTR EE in the theater for time #7 on Trilogy Tuesday, along with the TTT EEE and ROTK.

Wish the shiny version of this wasn't all the way to next summer.
Yeah, I watched the Extended Edition of Fellowship on DVD every day of winter break when I was 12. So it was pretty weird seeing the Extended Editions on Blu-ray and immediately noticing that it didn't look anywhere near what I remembered. Put the DVDs in and it was so obvious.

Can't wait until summer too. Not that I necessarily expect I'll watch the appendices again.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
My copy dispatched, I should have it Monday. The Hobbit shouldn't be far behind.

Not expecting much with the Ultimate Edition just a lot of 4k bluray, bluray and dvds.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
it's incredible:

arstechnica.com

Lord of the Rings, Hobbit 4K Blu-ray sets: Must-own home-theater stunners

Next year, even bigger sets will arrive. But these combined 15 discs are plenty.

I held the older comparison images up to the 2020 version and easily came to a conclusion. With the previous Blu-rays, Peter Jackson jumped the gun on ambitions to recast the entire trilogy in HDR. The first home pressings of Fellowship, in particular, bathed the film's scenes in a glow that looks vibrant on SDR panels, only to get drowned in a sickly green in its extended edition Blu-ray version. On the new 4K versions, those have since received much more sensible passes to ground the actors in appropriately warm or chilly tones, depending on the scene, while surrounding the actors with much more realistic, earthy greens, oranges, and blues, as needed. What looked "vibrant" in SDR now looks a bit silly compared to the explosive-yet-balanced images of this year's HDR version.

As good as the LOTR trilogy looks with this year's updates, that has nothing on the higher-resolution, all-digital pipeline used on all three Hobbit films. I haven't watched these nearly as extensively, but I didn't need long to recognize how startling their image quality is. I'll be quite frank: The richness of their pixel density is so intense that I might actually watch this entire trilogy, slow and padded as it is, just to get the most out of my home theater investment. It's that pretty.

But if you were charmed by these film's theatrical versions, supercharged to a 48fps refresh on digital projectors (up from the long-held theater standard of 24fps), you should be aware that the Hobbit 4K Blu-ray releases don't include a bumped refresh rate. Until the 4K UHD Blu-ray format is either overhauled or replaced, you're stuck with 24fps with this one.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really want these, but $90 for each set is too much, especially after dropping $500 on a PS5. Hopefully I catch a deal early next year

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I've got the extended Hobbit films in 3D Blu-ray already, but it looks like it's finally time to upgrade those LotR EE DVDs.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I really want these, but $90 for each set is too much, especially after dropping $500 on a PS5. Hopefully I catch a deal early next year
Are these still only the collector editions? Is that maybe the reason the price is $90?

I just want the movies, but can wait on a deal too (see my avatar)

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Are these still only the collector editions? Is that maybe the reason the price is $90?

I just want the movies, but can wait on a deal too (see my avatar)
The standard version (non-steelbook) coming out Dec 1 will be the cheapest set as far as we know. In the summer there will be a more expensive collector's version.
I with there was a standard version similar to the previous bluray set that didn't include the theatricals and was cheaper. But I'll take what I can get.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Man, I REALLY would want to get these for christmas to feed my new PS5 but I'd prolly regret it if the ultimate edition has all the extra materials and possibly even something new.

I might cave tho and just watch any extra materials online if needed. Urgh.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
There's a Barad-dur joke in there somewhere about all the people who are going to watch this on a PS5.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
IDK how should i watch it. The proper order of release and or hobbit first and LOTR second so it would end on a high note . IDK

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I have the LoTR Gift Set preordered, but I'm conflicted about keeping it and just getting the standard set instead. Is it really just the movies and a ring in a bigger box???

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
There's a Barad-dur joke in there somewhere about all the people who are going to watch this on a PS5.
Sony had slowly shaped it to their shifting purposes, and made it better, as they thought, being deceived - for all those arts and subtle devices for which they forsook their former wisdom, and which fondly they imagined were their own, came but from Mordor; so that what they made was naught, only a little copy, a child's model or a slave's flattery, of that vast fortress, armoury prison, furnace of great power, Barad-dûr, The Dark Tower, which suffered no rival, and laughed at flattery, biding it's time, secure in its pride and its immeasurable strength.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen The Hobbit in years, I saw the 48 fps in theatres and I wonder how good/bad the 24 looks considering the shutter speed would have been 1/96, meaning less motion blur.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I've said in other threads, the EE of the third Hobbit film makes it watchable. Still not GOOD, mind you, but not the train wreck the theatrical cut was.
This is all I remember about the third hobbit film (extended first hobbit otoh I love (mainly the added songs for the dwarves)
Battle%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bfive%2BAlfrids.jpg

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
This is all I remember about the third hobbit film (extended first hobbit otoh I love (mainly the added songs for the dwarves)
Battle%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bfive%2BAlfrids.jpg

Recently watched the first two with my brother in law since he'd never seen them. I am trying to avoid watching BotFA at all costs.

I would sooner burn the house down than watch it, tbh.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Biggest mistake with the Hobbit was trying to force LOTR tone onto it when the LOTR was purposefully darker in tone than the hobbit.

Oh and turning a ~300 page book into 3 movies