• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
My dear US fellas is this version region free? I'm in the EU and planning to get a PS5 will this work on that?

Amazon.com: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended & Theatrical)(4K Ultra HD + Digital) : Mark Ordesky, Barrie M. Osborne, Peter Jackson, Bob Weinstein, Fran Walsh, Harvey Weinstein, Tim Sanders, Robert Shaye, Elijah Wood, Ian Mc

Amazon.com: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended & Theatrical)(4K Ultra HD + Digital) : Mark Ordesky, Barrie M. Osborne, Peter Jackson, Bob Weinstein, Fran Walsh, Harvey Weinstein, Tim Sanders, Robert Shaye, Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortensen, Sean...

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
My dear US fellas is this version region free? I'm in the EU and planning to get a PS5 will this work on that?

Amazon.com: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended & Theatrical)(4K Ultra HD + Digital) : Mark Ordesky, Barrie M. Osborne, Peter Jackson, Bob Weinstein, Fran Walsh, Harvey Weinstein, Tim Sanders, Robert Shaye, Elijah Wood, Ian Mc

Amazon.com: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended & Theatrical)(4K Ultra HD + Digital) : Mark Ordesky, Barrie M. Osborne, Peter Jackson, Bob Weinstein, Fran Walsh, Harvey Weinstein, Tim Sanders, Robert Shaye, Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortensen, Sean...
IIRC all 4k UHD discs are region free.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
9 discs and no sign of the appendices by the looks of it.

c91qpnzgxbs51.jpg

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, Target has their buy 2 get 1 free movie deal this week and both the LOTR and Hobbit 4K trilogies are part of it. You can do the cancellation trick to get each set for $60+tax each. I originally had the LOTR steelbook preordered through Best Buy for $120+tax but I'd rather have both trilogies for that price.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Pre-ordered, might cancel I'll see. I wanted the appendices included but I have them on Blu-ray still and there wouldn't be any difference.

OneEyedKing

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Peter Jackson want to include extra documentaries and stuff in the last releases but WB wouldn't let him?

Hopefully they finally allowed him to do that for the release next year.

OneEyedKing

Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall that happening, but it's been such a long time since the Blu-rays were released, so I could be wrong.

I just looked it up and it looks like it was for that big expensive collection they released in 2016.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/201...e-peter-jackson-not-involved-in-this-release/

"In addition there was the added difficulty of Warners needing to access the original negative and scan the outtakes, bloopers, and additional sequences. They declined to do this, which made Michael Pellerin and my original plans for the comprehensive documentary we hoped to produce for this box set, impossible to produce. Neither Michael nor myself are therefore involved in this release. Maybe Warners will support our planned documentary for the 25th anniversary, because we would love to make it one day."

So hopefully this will be the release where they were allowed to do that.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cancelled my steel books and went for the one ring gift set on amazon. I have a big 4k collection, but only one steelbook, that is ghost in the shell. Otherwise im not super into them, and prefer a slip cover when i can

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I just looked it up and it looks like it was for that big expensive collection they released in 2016.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/201...e-peter-jackson-not-involved-in-this-release/

So hopefully this will be the release where they were allowed to do that.
Thanks for that. Shame we never got to see that documentary. Maybe the 4K Ultimate Edition will have something similar. I'm always up for more documentaries about the production of the trilogy.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I have the appendices on my Blu-ray EE boxset, but I want it for this too. But then again buying the ultimate boxset coming summer 2021 means I would need to own The Hobbits movies as well. Decisions, decisions.

The Hobbit Trilogy really isn't all that bad but even if you really don't like them, the appendices continue on The Hobbit, even continuing the appendices numbers from The Lord of the Rings with Appendices Parts 7 to 12, so worth owning to have the complete appendices.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, Target has their buy 2 get 1 free movie deal this week and both the LOTR and Hobbit 4K trilogies are part of it. You can do the cancellation trick to get each set for $60+tax each. I originally had the LOTR steelbook preordered through Best Buy for $120+tax but I'd rather have both trilogies for that price.

Thanks for the heads up! Snagged!

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Man, that's very tempting. But given how much Steelbooks retain their value, I think I'll keep my Best Buy pre-orders for now and just sell them when the Ultimate Edition comes out.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, forgot about this glitch since I no longer work at target lol. Took advantage of this for my nephew (he's really into fantasy novels and such as of late so this will work alongside some Dune novels)

TriniTrin

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
how do you do the cancellation trick?

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
the differences in versions are a bit confusing. Is the more expensive version with the ring/book just a dumb trinket? I'd rather pay less and get the steel book version I think.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
the differences in versions are a bit confusing. Is the more expensive version with the ring/book just a dumb trinket? I'd rather pay less and get the steel book version I think.

Yes, all the versions being released this December have the same disc contents. They only differ in their packaging. Next year there's gonna be a more substantial release with old and new special features included.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, all the versions being released this December have the same disc contents. They only differ in their packaging. Next year there's gonna be a more substantial release with old and new special features included.
Thanks, I don't watch special features that often, so I'll probably be good with the release this December.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Order 3, cancel 2, use other as reason. Note you'll be paying a higher tax but it'll still be cheaper than buying it separately. If you have a target red card that another 5%off.
Thank you for this.
I originally preordered the steelbooks for both trilogies at Best Buy but that ended up being around $250 total, so getting both for $130 is a lot more reasonable even if they aren't the steelbooks.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm leaning more towards cancelling my BBuy steelbooks... I'm just hoping for 2 things on the 2021 summer 'Ultimate Edition': steelbooks as well, and no super-huge giant box with a lot of stuff in it. I love LEs for games, but not really for movies.

Dr.Horrible

Oct 27, 2017
Never seen them, but as a completionist I'm considering picking up the Hobbit trilogy as well. Is it worth it?

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Never seen them, but as a completionist I'm considering picking up the Hobbit trilogy as well. Is it worth it?
They don't hold a candle to the LOTR but I think they're serviceable.
Just keep in mind that there was a lot of corporate meddling with that trilogy, which is a shame because I believe if Peter and the crew had more time and support it would've been something special.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

While not as good as The Lord of the Rings, they are still entertaining, if you enjoy big blockbuster fantasy movies.

Obviously some people on the internet say they are terrible and the worst movies ever but they say that about all movies, so take those comments with a pinch of salt.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I quite like the first movie. Second movie's okay. Does some things well, others not so much. I didn't care for the third and have not given it a second viewing. I've actually never watched the extended version though I have the Blu-Ray. I've just watched the special features.
The special features are well worth watching for all 6 movies.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I quite like the first movie. Second movie's okay. Does some things well, others not so much. I didn't care for the third and have not given it a second viewing. I've actually never watched the extended version though I have the Blu-Ray. I've just watched the special features.
The special features are well worth watching for all 6 movies.

The EE for the third movie makes it watchable. Not exactly GOOD, but it fixes up so much shit from the theatrical.

Last edited:

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
I think we'll see those included in the Ultimate edition releasing in Summer 2021 as part of the new bonus content mentioned in the press release.
Edmond, is this confirmed? Just listened to them talking on The One Ring's recent YouTube video about it and they didn't mention it. All they've heard is that there's only one piece of extra content (from Warner Bros).

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Edmond, is this confirmed? Just listened to them talking on The One Ring's recent YouTube video about it and they didn't mention it. All they've heard is that there's only one piece of extra content (from Warner Bros).
Nothing's been confirmed yet, no. WB haven't been very forthcoming as to what specifically will be included in the Ultimate edition. If you're will to wait until 2021 for this version, then it may prove to be worth your while, otherwise the edition coming next month is your best bet for seeing LOTR in 4K.

Personally, I'm willing to wait for the Ultimate edition.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Nothing's been confirmed yet, no. WB haven't been very forthcoming as to what specifically will be included in the Ultimate edition. If you're will to wait until 2021 for this version, then it may prove to be worth your while, otherwise the edition coming next month is your best bet for seeing LOTR in 4K.

Personally, I'm willing to wait for the Ultimate edition.
Thanks for the reply (and apols for the necro bump).

In my head I'm working on the assumption that no changes will be made to the core extends edition, and that footage will be available online at some point in the future. May not be best quality but seems preferable to buying The Hobbit again. May stick with my preorder for the 4K set.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

The films added a ton of stuff that wasn't in the book, and most of it is either crap (such as lots of silly fight scenes with bad cg, and a love triangle subplot), or good but shouldn't be there as it damages the flow of the movie (what gandalf is doing while he's not with bilbo)

imo the hobbit is best watched with one of the fan edits like the Bilbo Edition or the Maple Films edit which cut out most of the padding and make it far closer to the book, and a substantially more enjoyable watch.. They are ~4h:30m though (down from over 8 hours though!). Maple Films also turns the Gandalf stuff into its own separate thing.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star

This is confirmed, it's right in the Warner Brothers press release.

highdefdiscnews.com

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy comes to 4K in December

– Amazon Commissions Earned – “The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy” is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on December 1st via Warner. Specifically, the trilog…

Six-film "Middle-earth" Ultimate Collectors' Edition with new Bonus Content to be released in 4K UHD in Summer 2021

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017