• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
thedigitalbits.com

IT’S OFFICIAL: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy & The Hobbit Trilogy arrive on 4K Ultra HD on 12/1!

All right Tolkien fans, this is it! Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has just provided us with the official confirmation: Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and The Hobbit Trilogy will officially arrive on 4K Ultra HD on 12/1. The Hobbit Trilogy will include The Hobbit: An Unexpected...

Wow. Okay. Well I guess I'm going to ignore my previous pre-order and opt for that one instead. Thanks!

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Just dropped way too much on an ebay order for the steelbooks. But its my favorite franchise of all time. Ahh. Kinda have buyers remorse already- but lord of the rings.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
The LOTR trilogy still shows as available on BB for me. I wonder why it's not letting some people order it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
thedigitalbits.com

IT’S OFFICIAL: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy & The Hobbit Trilogy arrive on 4K Ultra HD on 12/1!

All right Tolkien fans, this is it! Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has just provided us with the official confirmation: Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and The Hobbit Trilogy will officially arrive on 4K Ultra HD on 12/1. The Hobbit Trilogy will include The Hobbit: An Unexpected...
All six films have been fully remastered by Weta Digital in New Zealand in a process overseen by director Peter Jackson. For The Lord of the Rings, this includes new 4K scans of original camera negative and new 4K scans of the original VFX film outs.
Excellent, this means entirely new masters! The overly green color tint in FOTR should be gone. Will probably still look different from the original release on video since that one is overly pink. But I'm excited for new color grading.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Everyone's in here talking about green tints and 48fps while I'm just goddamn excited that they're re-scanning the original camera negatives which is way beyond what I was anticipating given how extensive the CG work in these films are and what a monumental task it must be to be going back to scratch. But what an absolute delight that's going to be. Instead of relying on crummy 2k DIs from the early 2000s, this could now be an absolute top-tier reference-grade release.

That they're releasing both the Theatricals and the EEs together is just fantastic - they'll probably be receiving the same treatment and remaster unlike the Blu-Ray versions, so thankfully it sounds like the Theatricals won't get left in the mud this time. And with the added bonus that they're being sold separate from The Hobbit: they're hitting all the marks so far. Can't wait to own these films remastered in a way that they deserve.

Fingers fucking crossed everything goes smoothly from here on out, but it's sounding glorious.

EDIT: Like, I can't overstate how happy I am that in 2020, when the world has all but moved on from physical media, a studio has seemingly put real fuckin money behind a 4k release, and now a sizeable chunk of people may be sitting in their living rooms on Christmas with a PS5 and UHD copies of LOTR and get legitimately blown away by the potential of the medium. Can't believe it.

Last edited:

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent, this means entirely new masters! The overly green color tint in FOTR should be gone. Will probably still look different from the original release on video since that one is overly pink. But I'm excited for new color grading.
Awesome. So the only thing missing from the December versions is the special features from the Blu Ray??

Confusing ass release.

Boppa

Apr 4, 2020
I don't buy much physical media these days (unless it's limited edition steel books because I'm a moron lol) I really REALLY want this and I can't seem to find this set in Australia (hopefully it'll show up somewhere in the next few weeks)

Nariwari

Banned
Mar 12, 2020
Can't seem to find the correct set either for delivery in Belgium. A LOTR-filled Christmas holiday sounds pretty good to close this year off.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
4k remasters of the original film and original VFX? Honestly, I'm impressed they went through the trouble and didn't just upscale them like most films with so many effects. This is going to be a beauty!

TriniTrin

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
how many new features could they even add I wonder. Preordered the one in December because I have the blurays with the features. Probably will just watch the new shit on YouTube when someone uploads it.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
how many new features could they even add I wonder. Preordered the one in December because I have the blurays with the features. Probably will just watch the new shit on YouTube when someone uploads it.
Maybe Christopher Lee explaining what it sounds like to stab someone with a knife was caught on camera, and they've decided to include that, amongst other things.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't buy much physical media these days (unless it's limited edition steel books because I'm a moron lol) I really REALLY want this and I can't seem to find this set in Australia (hopefully it'll show up somewhere in the next few weeks)

Yeah we usually don't get pre-orders for UHDs until much closer to release. Kinda frustrating but it'll definitely show up eventually. Whether we'll get a steelbook release is another question.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, kinda wondering that also. The current set (and I assume this set in December) already has an absurd amount of bonus features.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
4k scans of the film outs... if I'm not mistaken, they're not redoing the effects in 4k, they are scanning the film that the sfx were outputted to 20 odd years ago. So 4k scans of a 2k filmout.

Boppa

Apr 4, 2020
Yeah we usually don't get pre-orders for UHDs until much closer to release. Kinda frustrating but it'll definitely show up eventually. Whether we'll get a steelbook release is another question.
Steelbook edition would be an instant preorder/buy for me.

I assume if they do announce a limited edition it will sell out pretty quickly just before Christmas, I wonder if they managed to put in any more extras this time around.

I know what I'm doing Boxing Day!

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
4k scans of the film outs... if I'm not mistaken, they're not redoing the effects in 4k, they are scanning the film that the sfx were outputted to 20 odd years ago. So 4k scans of a 2k filmout.
I could be mistaken but that's what it sounds like to me too. I'd be very surprised if they're actually re-rendering the CGI.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Steelbook edition would be an instant preorder/buy for me.

I assume if they do announce a limited edition it will sell out pretty quickly just before Christmas, I wonder if they managed to put in any more extras this time around.

I know what I'm doing Boxing Day!

It's looking like all of the editions they're putting out this year have next to no extras - it's a barebones release with just the films, theatrical and EE, no Blu-Rays either. There's already an announcement that there's gonna be a super release middle of next year with added bonus content. If you're willing to wait longer, shell out more money, and begrudgingly accept The Hobbit trilogy into your set, that might be the way to go.

Nah, word is they've rescanned the original negatives. So I think at minimum we'll get a situation similar to many current UHDs where SFX shots will be in 2k and everything else will be in 4k. But according Bill Hunt's twitter and the link above, they're rescanning the original negatives and the special effects shots into 4k. Not sure what source he's pulling from and I wouldn't get my hopes super high, but a man can dream.

Last edited:

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is one of the effects shots that gets looked at because the compositing is terrible and it always stands out to me:

fellowship010823a.jpg

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, word is they've rescanned the original negatives. So I think at minimum we'll get a situation similar to many current UHDs where SFX shots will be in 2k and everything else will be in 4k. But according Bill Hunt's twitter and the link above, they're rescanning the original negatives and the special effects shots into 4k. Not sure what source he's pulling from and I wouldn't get my hopes super high, but a man can dream.

Any shot that doesn't have CGI can, and definitely will be, scanned in 4K. No problem there. The issue is the CG.

Unless they have all the original computer files, assets and equipment to even open those files... Their only source is the film negative that they exported their CGI shots to in the early 2000s. These would have been exported in 2K. While film is definitely CAPABLE of high resolutions, those effects shots are not taking advantage of it. It's like taking an MP3 and converting it to WAV: it doesn't magically make that MP3 sound better.

So yeah, those shots are going to be softer than the shots that have no CG.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Any shot that doesn't have CGI can, and definitely will be, scanned in 4K. No problem there. The issue is the CG.

Unless they have all the original computer files, assets and equipment to even open those files... Their only source is the film negative that they exported their CGI shots to in the early 2000s. These would have been exported in 2K. While film is definitely CAPABLE of high resolutions, those effects shots are not taking advantage of it. It's like taking an MP3 and converting it to WAV: it doesn't magically make that MP3 sound better.

So yeah, those shots are going to be softer than the shots that have no CG.

Oh okay, I thought you were thinking the whole film would be 2k upscaled.

But yeah, I agree, it wouldn't make sense that they'd be able to re-render the CG shots at 4k, but that's what's being talked about right now. I imagine it's a big game of telephone and that's not happening given how monumental a task it would be, but like I said, a man can dream. Regardless, it'll just be astounding seeing these films escape from the clutches of their early 2K DI issues. Could be a substantial step up from any presentation of the films we've seen before.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The majority of 4K releases still come from 2K masters, that's not the part that interests me nearly as much as proper HDR.

And fixing FotR EE. I won't go near this collection until after release when it's confirmed fixed. Don't just take their word for it or lean too heavily on the "new master" verbiage. They still have plenty of opportunity to fuck this up.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Torn between either getting the steel case edition on Best Buy, the $149 edition on Amazon, or waiting for next year.to get the bonus material.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
anyone have the amazon preorder link for the hobbit? ive got LOTR but i can't seem to find the hobbit
It was 89 last night but here it is for 94

The majority of 4K releases still come from 2K masters, that's not the part that interests me nearly as much as proper HDR.

And fixing FotR EE. I won't go near this collection until after release when it's confirmed fixed. Don't just take their word for it or lean too heavily on the "new master" verbiage. They still have plenty of opportunity to fuck this up.
Don't care/believe when they said Jackson personally oversaw the transfer like James Cameron & Alien?

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

I never really understand the "I don't care about 4k in a UHD release." Like, yeah it's only one component, but it's one component of like three that can make a noticeable difference. In this instance especially, if the source was the 2K DI from 2001-2003, it would have been a flat, murky mess and indeed, the HDR would have been drastically limited (which is why I suspect they've gone back to the negative).

And when it comes to HDR, the colour grade needs to be done from scratch, so unless the colourists are committed to recreating the green tint of the EE BDs, I can't see a reason why that problem would crop up again.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Oh thank God, 4K rescans of LOTR is great news. Would have been a complete waste of time if they just did an upscale, the films should look amazing

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If it's true that Peter Jackson and his team really are working on remastered the VFX to 4k (something that doesn't normally happen) these films should look outstanding in 4k.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Will they feature HDR?
I was thinking about getting these movies again in HD anyway but I might just wait for the 4K Extended LotR set if it features HDR.
I don't really like it when effects and rest of the image don't match in terms of resolution, so maybe I'm just getting the BluRay if HDR is not in play.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Regardless, it'll just be astounding seeing these films escape from the clutches of their early 2K DI issues. Could be a substantial step up from any presentation of the films we've seen before.

Oh definitely! Scanner technology has improved leaps and bounds since the early aughts. So we should be getting a nice upgrade.

As a side note: if they're reassembling the film from the original camera negative, that means they're going to have to do the framing and color timing all over again. That might prove to be controversial. Can't wait to find out more!

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Will they feature HDR?
I was thinking about getting these movies again in HD anyway but I might just wait for the 4K Extended LotR set if it features HDR.
I don't really like it when effects and rest of the image don't match in terms of resolution, so maybe I'm just getting the BluRay if HDR is not in play.
they will have HDR yes, how much the film will actually benefit is always determined by the type of film the movie was shot on, how scenes were shot and lit, then how it was scanned for the transfer etc.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Will they feature HDR?
they 100% will

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Will they feature HDR?

Reports are saying they will feature HDR + Dolby Vision and a new Dolby Atmos Audio mix too.