• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
The Best Buy Steelbook must have been listed by accident and then removed, my pre-order for it was switched to a pre-order for the gift set posted earlier. Weird.

I'm really, really hoping we finally get those.
Indeed. I think the Summer 2021 release willl be the closest we get to a 'Red Book of Westmarch' edition.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
They must've been accidental postings. I ordered 1 of each steelbook of LotR last night, since we didn't have other details yet. Links don't work, both image thumbnails showed up for a sec, but then went away. Didn't even see Hobbit go up, but wanting those steelbooks to complement the others :/ Down too.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they'll give people who buy the December release digital rights to the bonus content. I know the Hobbit EE's offered most if not all of their appendices on digital.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I have zero desire to own the Hobbit movies, but I do want more special features. Argh. Might wait until the mega-set.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
FYI they're all back up on Amazon and BBuy.

Question: Is there anything missing from the gold Extended Edition blu ray sets for both trilogies? Should sell mine off, if the 4ks have the same content...

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
FYI they're all back up on Amazon and BBuy.

Question: Is there anything missing from the gold Extended Edition blu ray sets for both trilogies? Should sell mine off, if the 4ks have the same content...
These new individual 4K sets seemingly don't carry over any of those special features. You need to wait till the Ultimate Collector's set next summer for those to be ported over.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
WB has been great when it comes to their 4K output and release quality, so I'm really looking forward to this. Might need to wait for a price drop though.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017

This thread has a nice bunch of comparison images. The image quality is good, the issue is the color being completely off. This only affects the first movie. Considering how much of a slam dunk the rest of the set was when they released years ago, this was hugely disappointing

TIL there's a color restored version made by a fan

photos.google.com

All

151 new items · Album by 44rh1n

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
O crap I just finished the trilogy with my wife a few months ago. This will be awesome though. Timeless movies, hold up SO WELL.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it, ordered the steelbooks. My wallet is weeping in advance of November/December.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
At least they let us know that a super duper box set is coming out next year so you could hold off if you want. I'm gonna hold out.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I was really hoping they'd go with something other than the Ring replica for the Collector's Edition. That's the most boring vanilla shit I'd expect if the movies had come out less than five years ago.

Unless there's something else in the CE we're not aware of yet like special bonuses, I'll just get the steelbooks.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
So this has been confirmed now?

thedigitalbits.com

IT’S OFFICIAL: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy & The Hobbit Trilogy arrive on 4K Ultra HD on 12/1!

All right Tolkien fans, this is it! Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has just provided us with the official confirmation: Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and The Hobbit Trilogy will officially arrive on 4K Ultra HD on 12/1. The Hobbit Trilogy will include The Hobbit: An Unexpected...

"In addition, it was also announced that a 4K UHD Middle-earth Ultimate Collectors' Edition featuring the theatrical and extended versions of all six films, along with new bonus content, previously released Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy, and remastered Blu-ray discs of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will be released in the summer of 2021"

Ziocyte

Oct 27, 2017
I sort of lucked out. I saw this thread last night, put it in my Best Buy shopping cart and then waffled a bit. I was thinking "Hmmm, I wonder what the quality will be like? ... Oh, I can wait and get it later..." and went to bed without buying. Just now saw some updates in the thread that the steel case was selling out and had instant regrets. Checked out Best Buys website, sure enough it's listed as sold out. But alas! The item from last night was still in my cart. I gave it 50/50 that the sale would go through but sure enough it did and mine is locked in. : )