• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I have the DVD versions bought the Blu Ray versions not too long ago... but will I dip in again?? (probably, yes)

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I am very confused by the $120 vs $150 postings on Best Buy

Its $120. The $150 link was probably just a placeholder before they were available for preorder and announced officially.
I double checked without my log in just to be sure. Also you always go with the cheaper price lol.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ordered for 70 euros, great price. Seems to be selling quite well. Release date 3rd of Dec, but I won't receive it until the 8th

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
I wish The Hobbit trilogy got ported to HFR (high frame rate).

I only saw the first two movies, and only saw Smaug in theaters, but seeing it at 48fps was glorious candy to my eyes. Had to see Gemini Man last year in theaters at 120fps and that looked even better!

One of the best demo disks for 4K UHD is the Gemini Man UHD, running at 60fps 4K. It is absolutely gorgeous.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Is this theatrical or extended? As nice as these are, no reason to get them if they aren't extended.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I recently seen them but I might watch again if the reviews are good/ they did a good job on the transfer

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
BB's $150 version has a different SKU. We sure it is an error and not a special version?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Day fucking 1. Just built a 4k hdr home theater with 11.1.4 sound and ~180" profection cinema scope screen. I asked my wife what was the first movie she wanted to watch, and she said LOTR. unfortunately it wasn't out yet so we've watched other stuff.

This is why I stopped buying Blurays like 3 years ago. All the movies will be re-released for 4K eventually. Good thing I held off on getting this series.
this is why i started to just buy 4k titles for anything i wanted, years ago. Future proofed but could also watch the regular blu ray on existing system.
Most of everything else...nah.
define "everything else"

also explain where studios are going to make up lost revenue from disc sales? Cause it sure isn't streaming with everyone hording their own shit on their own streaming platforms.

i cant really get into old movies so i prefer the hobbit films
lol wut?

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I've heard both used a 2K DI so it's almost certain an upscale, and as close to release as they are going with the anouncement I think something would have leaked had they spent the money and time needed to go back and basically remaster them. That said there have been some truly stunning upscales.
They are rebuilding them from the neg and VFX filmouts

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if you want these digitally vs physical if it's better to buy the LOTR and Hobbit trilogies now on places that will give you a free 4K upgrade vs waiting for the 4K digital release which might have a price increase?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Loving the Ents being on the Two Towers cover.
Nothing beats the DVD covers.

latest

Yeah I'm baffled they don't just redo it this way.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Any word on the teal tint being fixed on FOTR? The stock BD is kinda awful. I've got a fan color-adjusted version that is better than the disc on my Plex server, but the disc version looks awful.

And yeah, the DVD release was the prettiest packaging. They should just re-do the boxes with the statues and all.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pre-ordered!

Also, fingers crossed that the Appendices are actually on UHDs and not just DVDs again like they were on the bluray release.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
UHD only pre-ordered...........fuck yes

only $20 more than what the bluray was at launch, not bad

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think I'll be 4k only for this. Actually glad it seems to be barebones as I already have the EE blu rays.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I need some press releases and screenshot dumps. Fellowship needs to be fixed for this release.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like 1 disc for the Theatrical version, 2 discs for the Extended version, and no extras this time around. But I have those in the Blu-Ray set and have no need to own them again.
3h - 3h20m is getting tight for a 1 disc encode. I want this to be demo-worthy and I have my doubts it's getting the attention it needs.

Would be nice if it used seamless branching on the 2 disc version to give theatrical + extended on each disc. I swear no studios know that seamless branching exists. It must be a pain to implement.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish The Hobbit trilogy got ported to HFR (high frame rate).

I only saw the first two movies, and only saw Smaug in theaters, but seeing it at 48fps was glorious candy to my eyes. Had to see Gemini Man last year in theaters at 120fps and that looked even better!

One of the best demo disks for 4K UHD is the Gemini Man UHD, running at 60fps 4K. It is absolutely gorgeous.

This is my regret with the Hobbit films. I didn't see any in the theatres and would have loved to have seen them in 48fps.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Would anyone be willing to explain the difference between UHD and Blu-Rays? Is there any reason to get both?
UHDs have higher resolution and higher dynamic range, which require a 4K television to see. Getting both might be helpful if one doesn't already own the Blu-Rays and wants to watch the films on non-4K TVs.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to pre-order the UHD only Steelbook set, as I don't like slim cover of the 90$ set, and while I like the 140$ gift set, just seems too expensive for what it is.

EDIT: Looks like BB put them up early as now the product page is gone.

Last edited: