• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
That was the first game I ever worked on! I'm always surprised when someone remembers it was a thing.
Are you kidding? An open world, create your own character honest to goodness LotR RPG? I was gutted when it was cancelled and every LotR game announced since has been a teeny bit disappointing.

Would love to hear any stories you have!

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Bit strange to exclude 150+ million install base for an adventure game, but okay. :)

EDIT: Hmm, the previous announcement says "all relevant consoles". Pretty sure current gen is going to be very relevant in 2021, so hopefully it is coming to those too!

WB allowed TechLand and Rocksteady to go all in on current gen consoles. TechLand even had a PS3/360 version of Dying Light announced that they ended up canning so that they could focus solely on the current gen versions.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
I think as a German company Daedalic may want to go with the official original Gollum German Design.

Illustrations by Horus Engels for the 1957 (first) German edition of The Hobbit.
37a19aa76512ce9914988dfe5b7d0cd8.jpg

: ]

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I have no real interest in this game but I am extremely curious about what the PC recommended specs will be.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Are you kidding? An open world, create your own character honest to goodness LotR RPG? I was gutted when it was cancelled and every LotR game announced since has been a teeny bit disappointing.

Would love to hear any stories you have!

I worked at a studio that was sourced to do lots on the design side, mostly involving AI and side quests. I did lots of writing and UI mockups. It was a very interesting first project, since I was working with, but not directly for, a major AAA studio. There were so many interesting ideas and concepts for the game, and I was sad when it got shelved. Also terrified, since I'd moved my family out to California to work on that, but that worked out, at least.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
User warned: Port begging
No Switch, no buy.

Fits into the series of various mistakes they made on this system (like pricing Deponia 1 at a whopping 40€).

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who is absolutely fucking sick of the Peter Jackson aesthetic I am 100% all for new (hopefully colorful) interpretations of the characters and world

40b8259a7eaf338181b54ac4a516d5ff.jpg

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I worked at a studio that was sourced to do lots on the design side, mostly involving AI and side quests. I did lots of writing and UI mockups. It was a very interesting first project, since I was working with, but not directly for, a major AAA studio. There were so many interesting ideas and concepts for the game, and I was sad when it got shelved. Also terrified, since I'd moved my family out to California to work on that, but that worked out, at least.
Wow, thanks, that's really interesting. Glad it all worked out for you guys. Hope we get a similar kind of game one day, feel like no game has been released yet that really takes advantage of the IP.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Really need to see some trailers/screens of this thing. I mean what they are talking about seems pretty neat, but it could go any which way.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
As someone who is absolutely fucking sick of the Peter Jackson aesthetic I am 100% all for new (hopefully colorful) interpretations of the characters and world

40b8259a7eaf338181b54ac4a516d5ff.jpg

Always loved the Rankin/Bass film designs as a kid.
That Gollum legitimately freaked me out. I don't know if it was the eyes or the pooch belly, but yeah... great stuff.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I can't wait for the announcement of the "One Ring Edition" that comes with a real metal forged replica of the one ring, that when place in its stand, has the writing on it glow. Only for people to dicover on launch day that the ring is either hobbit sized or way too big and thus can't be worn at all. Also the metal it is made out of is aluminium brushed with cheap gold paint that flakes off. And the writing is mispelled.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can't wait for the announcement of the "One Ring Edition" that comes with a real metal forged replica of the one ring, that when place in its stand, has the writing on it glow. Only for people to dicover on launch day that the ring is either hobbit sized or way too big and thus can't be worn at all. Also the metal it is made out of is aluminium brushed with cheap gold paint that flakes off. And the writing is mispelled.
If this was Bethesda, they'd all be recalled for mold and health threats.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
The only Gollum that counts (bottom left corner).

477fb475d218131d1e7b4b40efa49a24.jpg

Although to be fair, Tolkien was rather critical of Pauline's art, but it is the only official art that got his approval before his death.

A close-up:

map-middle-earth-pauline-haynes_1_295e9aef8f0706a84ea0dfb5b6c61be4.jpg

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
At first I rolled my eyes, but seeing this is based on the book I am quite curious to see their take on this beloved character.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get your hopes up for anything looking huge or super weird. You still have to be able to control him in a fun way and they will try to make him somewhat relateable.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Intrigued about what they'll bring to the table with Gollum in terms of gameplay,besides sneaking around.
But i don't find exciting the idea of playing as him at the same time.
I wonder what Monolith is doing then,i read it was a game with the nemesis system.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Finally, CEO Carsten Fichtelmann said that Daedalic has a long-running contract which means the studio is aiming to do two or three games set in Middle-earth, "which means maybe the next game is - obviously not Gollum 2. That doesn't make sense. It could be some other character. But it will be comparable to what we're now trying with Gollum."
Can one game just be about a hobbit who doesn't go an a grand adventure and just stays at home and drinks and eats and goes to parties and shoots fireworks?