• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one is your preferred ending?

• Book Ending

• Movie Ending

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mar 3, 2018
Ive seen this discussion pop up in a few LotR threads whether it's about the movies, book, Amazon show and so on. Read a few comments here and was googling it and people seem really divided.

On one hand, there seems to be folk who say the movie did it better as it showed how much the journey had changed them when they are back at the shire and you can feel their discomfort and trauma, and even though their surrounding is the old shire they loved, they aren't sure whether they can go back to normal life.

Then you have people say the book does is better as the scouring of the shire is more realistic and shows that the world has changed and it will never be the same again. I've even seen some comments from this side say that the movie ending would have only worked better if for example Sam didn't get married, and instead lived life dealing with the trauma of the trip and losing Frodo. But I dunno if this criticism even makes sense, like; doesn't he still get married in the books even after that extra trauma of the shire being wrecked? Someone can correct me on this.

Anyway, those are just some general comments I've seen around the web about this topic.Wanted to seewhat y'all think on the matter, as I love learning about LotR and reading other perspectives.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I don't think that the movie ending and book ending are thematically all that different. I prefer the book because the scouring shows the hobbits as newly capable. It also makes clear what each of the hobbits gets up to in their post War of the Ring life, and pretty clearly makes the connection between taking the ship away from middle earth and having connection to the rings of power and the failed 3rd age.

Also, IIRC, Sam at like 150 and after having an assload of florally named children with Rosie and being mayor for about one hundred years takes a ship to reunite with Frodo- the last of the ring bearers. Stud.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I dislike what they did to Saruman in the ROTK movie, the Scouring of the Shire would never have worked on film. Think about all those jokes about how the film never ended, and now imagine adding another act where they wage a guerrilla war against a villain who was defeated in the last movie, after such a magnificent natural climax.

I get the argument that it completes the arc of the hobbits and was an allegory for post-war Britain, etc, but I simply don't care for it.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
I prefer the book ending, but there's no way the Scouring would work on film. The main climax has been resolved; the Ring and Sauron are gone, and Aragorn has been crowned king of Gondor and Arnor. People already feel ROTK has too many endings as is.

I do love that the book really drives home that this isn't just most of the Ringbearers leaving, it's the end of the Third Age.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Well im sorry but im gonna slightly ruin the poll, although i suspect many will do the same and ruin it a lot. Just voting randomly because im interested in the result

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
I prefer the movie except for

1) They never explain that Gandalf and Galadriel/Elrond (I forget which one is actually in the movie, its been a while) have the other 2 elven rings, so they are all leaving on that ship
2) The part about a boat waiting for Sam when he is ready

Scouring would have never worked on film.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love the scouring but yeah, I'm going to echo others in that it just doesn't work for a movie. Same thing with Tom Bombadil, who is a fun literal diversion that would kill the pacing of a movie. For the most part Jackson et all did as faithful of an adaptation as could be hoped for.

samwyse

Oct 28, 2017
The Shire being immune to war is weak, but you'd need a full epilogue movie to depict it so it was cut.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I far prefer the book ending, but I think it would've been a little too dark for the movie audience after watching the three movies throughout the years.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Movie ending. The plot is over when the ring is destroyed and in the movies it already feels like the ending is stretched out because the story only ends with Frodo deciding to leave. Preferably you want plot and story end as close to each other as possible.

The scouring always felt tacked on for me.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
The Scouring of the Shire is too great to miss.
Worth it just for Lobelia Sackville-Baggins' redemption arc.

John_Howe_-_Mistress_Lobelia.jpg

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the Scouring would have had worked because the majority of the audience didn't have that knowledge of why he wrote it in the first place. They would not have understood why it was such an important part of the books to not only Tolkien, but to the audience both at the time it was published and future generations who knew Tolkien's own history of seeing war and industrial expansion pervert and irrevocably even the most quiet and bucolic regions of the English countryside. Sure the audience might have said "That's so sad what happened to the Shire and the Hobbits." For Tolkien I always felt like it was the most personal part of the story he wrote. I do like the little flash of it we got and I think that spoke enough to it in the film.

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
Book ending. The scouring really shows how much the Fellowship Hobbits have grown and gives them a nice badass moment, while also showing that nothing is safe from war and corruption. And it ties in with Sam's vision at Galadriel's Mirror.
Saruman's death, with his spirit turning towards Valinor, but being blown away by a western wind is also lovely.

Oct 28, 2017
The Scouring of the Shire could actually be an interesting standalone movie.

(Well, with some creative liberty. Turn it into a Hobbit Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven!)

but yeah, now way it could have fit into the RotK film

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
The Scouring of the Shire could actually be an interesting standalone movie.

(Well, with some creative liberty. Turn it into a Hobbit Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven!)

but yeah, now way it could have fit into the RotK film
Considering Amazon have reportedly scooped up the rights to the Lord of the Rings book, I can see them doing a set of mini-series, something akin to a 'Chronicles of Middle-earth' featuring stories not dealt with in the film trilogy. The Scouring of the Shire could be one of those.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The scouring was completely pointless and added nothing to the story but prolonging it. Tolkien was a good ideas man but the LOTR aren't well written from a plot standpoint. Peter Jackson much improved the books.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
The scouring is the worst part of the book. A total slog and and over-stating an already familiar point.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Sam got done dirty by the movies ending. A snippet about him being allowed to go to the Undying Lands as the last ring bearer would have given the next scene (him returning home to his family) so much more depth.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
The movie made the right call in removing the scouring, but thematically they end at the same place. The book is more powerful but the movie did well considering it couldn't foreshadow as much.

Although it should have done without the last 30 seconds of same returning to his family, should have ended with the emotional high of the Gray Havens.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like how the Scouring showed how much the Hobbits have grown from the adventure, especially Merry and Pippin, but I also recognize a lot of people would have soured on another complication extending the movie.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
The scouring of the shire would never work in a movie format. I think it works for the book, but it never would have worked in the movie.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I sure liked the Scouring but the movie didn't need even more scenes. Both are great in their respectives mediums.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By the time we got to the Scouring of the Shire I was just ready for it to be done tbh. It seemed like a weird anticlimax - a minor threat that needs dispatching after all the massive battles.

And I like the symmetry, where it starts with the telling of fantastic tales in this quiet and idyllic place, and ends with these 4 friends quietly knowing those tales are real.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I would have loved to see the scouring

but I think each fits their respective mediums perfectly fine

Oct 26, 2017
It should be noted that there was an addtional 'epilogue' written for The Lord of the Rings that Tolkien contemplated using but decided not to because of feedback he received.

Here's the epilogue in full:

That was sweet. I saw that in my head as played by Sean Astin. But good thing Tolkien ultimately removed it, having a literal FAQ at the end of the book is just ridiculous.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I prefer the simpler story of the movie. The Shire didn't need a denouement because they weren't really in most of the story. It felt like a tacked on other story. Of course I get the analogy now, but still, from a storytelling perspective, I think the denouement works better for Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
That was sweet. I saw that in my head as played by Sean Astin. But good thing Tolkien ultimately removed it, having a literal FAQ at the end of the book is just ridiculous.
Yeah, sometimes Tolkien needed outside opinion to rectify issues with his work. This is one of those cases where those in his social circle made a postive difference to his Legendarium.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
The Scouring wouldn't work as part of the third movie, but it's a fantastic chapter in the book.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Book ending. The movie is already bloated and "but wait there's more" endings. So may as well have gone for it and gave hobbits their due

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
It should be noted that there was an addtional 'epilogue' written for The Lord of the Rings that Tolkien contemplated using but decided not to because of feedback he received.

Here's the epilogue in full:basic

never knew about this! Thanks for sharing :)

Thankfully he removed it from the book. It would've felt tacked on, and the final words (as they are, not as they would've been) are perfect. And basically most of the info there we got from the Appendices, that are clearly 'separate' from the narrative itself, so I think we ended up winning in the end.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
The Scouring feels like a DLC epilogue, haha. Like where you already finished the main story and your characters are over-leveled and it's some final little challenge.

The hobbits already all proved their strength and showed how much they changed over the books by the time the ring is destroyed, so The Scouring just felt a bit much after everything. Not saying I don't like it, but I think the overall flow and pacing is better without it (similar to the whole Tom Bombadil section).