• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon, Sony, and/or Apple seem like the bigger contenders here, considering they've all made significant investments into film and TV. The game rights are one thing, but the film and TV rights to LOTR and The Hobbit would be pretty damn gargantuan for whomever ended up making the highest bid.

MS has barely dipped their toe into film and TV outside of the Halo franchise, so I doubt it'll be them.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
The best thing would be Amazon to buy the right and then farm it to Larian. But Amazon is too greedy for that.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Amazon will probably get it but it could be a good fit for Sony as well considering they have a film division which would allow them to take advantage of both film and game rights.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I hope whoever ends up with it does something cool and new like a Turin RPG. But of course they'll likely just keep focusing on the familiar Third Age ground.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Phill Spencer

65eb6c1ac6be6d71dcc96de17b3e5550.gif

JonaB1986

Sep 15, 2020
Oh yes, this, very much this. If they get BG3 out in the next decade that is.

MS would be good too. Based solely on the fact they own all the other WRPG studios... No BGS though. It'd just be Elder Scrolls with an even more blatant Tolkien paintjob. I'd much rather Obsidian or InXile.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
This will be between Sony, Disney and Amazon most likely with the latter having a bigger interest in it with them already producing a show in that franchise.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Just to emphasize, Warner Bros, uh, disagrees lol

But it's understood that in the Zaentz Co.'s view, substantial live-action film rights reverted back to them last year in part because Warner Bros. had not been actively developing new "LOTR" and related content. That development, plus the anticipation for the new Amazon series, was enough to convince Zaentz Co. that the time was ripe for a sale. Warner Bros. declined to comment but it is believed that the studio and Zaentz Co. are already odds over who controls what when it comes to "LOTR" and "Hobbit" rights, which have been the subject of extensive litigation over the years.

Considering the Amazon series is only happening because of a loophole, I'm not sure how many suitors will jump on this until the litigation is complete. No one is gonna jump at that high asking price when there is a high risk that Warner will retain the film & video game rights.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Film rights will be the key here. I could see Amazon and Sony both making a play since the latter probably wants more movie IPs other than Spider-Man and Jumanji but I think Amazon gets it since they have deeper pockets and with the MGM purchase have shown they are investing heavily on movie content

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
My bet is between Amazon and Apple. Of course, others could chime in like Netflix, Sony, or Disney.

What do you think, it's possible that two or more companies join to swipe it from another? For example, let's say that Microsoft joins Apple to outbid Amazon, and later they split LotR rights (gaming right for Microsoft and Film right for Apple).

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LOTR getting a RE-HYPE moment in history is the best these days. Amazon LOTR please be good!

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
According to Wikipedia Amazon already had the rights for LoTR awhile ago and tried to make an MMO from it.

Can't see them doing it again unless they know what they want to do with it.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Just to emphasize, Warner Bros, uh, disagrees lol

Considering the Amazon series is only happening because of a loophole, I'm not sure how many suitors will jump on this until the litigation is complete. No one is gonna jump at that high asking price when there is a high risk that Warner will retain the film & video game rights.
Yeah, nobody is going to spend billions $ unless that gets resolved. Maybe Warner will negotiate getting a cut or something.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
I'm 30, before my 40's I want to play something LotR other than Battle for Middle-earth I & II. I don't want to die before I see a proper open-world Middle-earth RPG. Please?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I want EA to have it because I want HD remakes of the Two Towers and Return of the King games.

I am ok if nothing else comes from the sale whatsoever if I get that.

Oct 31, 2017
I would be surprised if someone outbids Amazon for this.

Yeah, you are right. In 2021Q3 specifically Pictures is a segment with highest operating income. Pictures performed really well in Q3 apparently.

Edit: I guess they have Marvel to thank for it.

Yes. Last Q was SPE's 15 minutes of fame. Even with those numbers they still have the lowest ROIC for the company though.

123.png

This will be between Sony, Disney and Amazon most likely with the latter having a bigger interest in it with them already producing a show in that franchise.

I don't see why Disney would be a player here. I highly doubt it.

Last edited:

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I would be surprised if someone outbids Amazon for this.

Yes. Last Q was SPE's 15 minutes of fame. Even with those numbers they still have the lowest ROIC for the company though.

123.png

I don't see why Disney would be a player here. I highly doubt it.
Disney won't. The Tolkien estate won't sell to Disney, it was literally ruled out in some dying wish it something iirc.

Edit
insidethemagic.net

Why 'The Lord of the Rings' Will Never Belong to Disney

'Lord of the Rings' author J.R.R. Tolkien had a very strong opinion about Walt Disney's movies and refused to let him touch his work.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would buy them if I had 2 billion (expendable) dollars.

I would rather Microsoft buy this before Amazon or any of the other purchasers.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
My guess is Amazon, but I kinda wouldn't mind Microsoft getting it so one of their WRPG/CRPG devs could take a crack at it. I doubt it though, what with their big ActiBlizz acquisition recently.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
If anyone on ERA is planning on bidding on these Middle Earth film rights you'd better start pumping the brakes now.....per Variety today.

The Zaentz Co. and Warner Bros. are in the middle of a private mediation process to help settle their differences about whether the studio has met its obligations to hold on to the license, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

Warner Bros. has had a long-term license on "LOTR" and "The Hobbit" since the late 1990s. The studio is said to be adamant that it has continuously met requirements to hold on to its rights by maintaining active development on the property, exercising options in a timely manner and making periodic payments to Zaentz Co.

variety.com

Warner Bros. Flexes ‘Lord of the Rings’ Muscle Amid Conflict Over Film Rights

The studio behind the successful 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy is disputing suggestions that its license on the Tolkien property has lapsed.

I knew that the timing of WB announcing their new LOTR inspired anime was a shot across the bow of The Zaentz Co. I find it very hard to believe that a studio like WB with a massive IP like Lord Of The Rings would suddenly forget to maintain their hold on the IP which would trigger a sale like this. The article has some more information.

In true Hollywood style I'm assuming that this whole matter gets quietly settled in arbitration with the rights staying at Warners (who will continue to produce theatrical films) and we never hear of it again.