• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Full credit to Reddit for sharing this news.

jjxqg9cyvtb91.jpg

A few days ago on "Board Room" the devs from Full Circle said that no paid loot boxes would be in the new game.

View: https://streamable.com/yzcjb2

Someone found out with a cracked version of the game, that that there will still be a loot box mechanic, called Swag Bags where players can buy random clothing.

The currency used is called Taps and its still not clear how Taps can be acquired if either in game or purchased with real money.

Full video with Full Circle, the devs on Skate

View: https://youtu.be/FAMgtFyrQLk

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I mean sure it can be a on a older build. Doesnt mean its in the full game and " that there will still be a loot box mechanic"
Thats a assumption. Better wait until full game releases to judge it.
Also paid lootboxes they said. Again lets wait and see.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
"NO PAID LOOT BOXES" =/= NO LOOTBOXES.

Also the game is not out yet and this was extracted from an 2021 build.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
that doesn't seem like paid lootboxes?

you get them with the in-game currency of Taps that you earn from doing stuff

unless you can buy Taps?

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Is it possible it was something they were testing, but no longer have plans to implement?
That or they are obtained with in-game currency only. I haven't watched the videos, but the thumbnail specifically states "No PAID loot boxes", so could be they are only obtainable with some sort of currency you earn by playing that's not available to buy with real money.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Even from that image they seem to just be tied to the in-game currency and reward system, as opposed to real money. Unlikely to be something that changes for the worse when they explicitly said they wouldn't do it.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't think we have enough information to make accusations already on an old leaked build

Raigor

May 14, 2020
"Earn taps by exploring Fun City and completing FCCC Challenges"

This is going to be a free currency available by doing tasks in the open world.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
That doesn't look like a smoking gun to me but if it really ends up being free to play I'm expecting loot boxes at the very least. If not at launch then down the line. Big publishers and EA in particular haven't done much to earn my trust in these matters.

Also I thought y'all would like to know I almost typed "loot boxers" again. It keeps happening and I hate it.

abby autopsy

Nov 24, 2020
I dong understand why people are giving EA the benefit of the doubt. Whatever is the most exploitive system they think they can get away with they will implement

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Might be the way Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey handled loot boxes. You can either buy cosmetics directly on the store for real currency, or you can buy loot boxes with in-game currency that contain a random store purchasable item.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People just want controversy. In the screenshot it says very clearly that you earn taps by playing the game. No one knows if you will be able to buy these. And this isn't official, it was extracted from an older build.
That being said, it going free to pay means they'll have to make money somehow

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Let's wait and see once this shit is out.
Also, I am of belief that if game is truly F2P they can do what the fuck they want with the monetization. I only have problem if you pay $60 for the game and then you have MTX up the ass.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
It isn't even out... And from the pictures it says it's earned in-game. Jumping the gun here. Also the game is F2P so I expect some monetization, we'll just see if it's done well or not.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
LOL at the wait until it is released takes. This is EA we're talking about so we should already know it will be a disaster.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
No way would I give EA any leeway here especially when publishers love adding in gross monetization in post launch to avoid it showing up in reviews. Literally don't trust big corps when it comes to finding ways to monetize you, and putting pressure on them to not add that shit in is good.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know it isn't out yet but it's also really hard to imagine EA not fucking this up at this point. Even if the game is good it's going to be monetised out the ass and I'm just preparing myself to not give a shit for what should have been one of my most anticipated games.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Not only it doesn't say they will be paid for with real money, but also this is apparently an old build, and we don't even know if the items in these possible lootboxes are obtainable directly.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
A few days ago on "Board Room" the devs from Full Circle said that no paid loot boxes would be in the new game.

The currency used is called Taps and its still not clear how Taps can be acquired if either in game or purchased with real money.

Can you, or anyone on Reddit, read?

Devs say "No Paid Lootboxes".

A pre-release, pretty much Alpha, datamined screenshot from a year old leaked build shows Lootboxes acquirable via Taps... which appear to be an earnable in game currency:

04809b89f63c8cb9e6f7a00f828cccc8.png

That's if this even ever sees the light of day and isn't just some UI mockup that never gets used.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Oh noes, cosmetic loot boxes.

It's a free to play game, why would anyone seriously care. As long as it's not pay to win, it doesn't impact you in any way.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh noes, cosmetic loot boxes.

It's a free to play game, why would anyone seriously care. As long as it's not pay to win, it doesn't impact you in any way.
Once upon a time you used to be able to give your character the look you wanted without grinding for a random chance of getting said look.
The game is far from being out.

What's with the hot takes? Fatalism all around.
Imagine giving EA the benefit of the doubt on not being scummy.

Status
Not open for further replies.