• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had a 20GB PS3. I would still be using it if it didn't die on me in 2009. :(

Banana Ocelot

Dec 12, 2019
I still miss my fat PS3. And that original orchestral startup! It sounds so good.

I hope the PS5 brings us another great startup jingle.

OP
OP
Pororoka

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
The main thing you need to do to prevent YLOD is replace some capacitors: https://www.psx-place.com/threads/tutorial-nec-tokin-capacitors-replacement-ylod-fix.25260/

Bad capacitors are the real reason why most old PS4s failed, rather than cracked solder joints.

New thermal paste will probably help with the fan noise also. I imagine the original application has dried up after so many years.

Thank you for this. I never thought that the capacitors were also a mayor culprit of the YLOD. I know something about soldering but I'm not comfortable with something that small. I'll try to contact someone that have more expertise on that to help me with

OP please respond.

Please do not update firmware.
My original plan was to give it some cleaning and maintenance and use it as a YouTube machine for my wife but after hearing the jingle and seeing the Spiderman logo I changed my mind.
It's a nostalgia trip way back when I was still in high school playing MGS4 at the near video game rental, so I'll just leave it that way.

How do you like it with the component cables? Notice a big difference if you use HDMI?

I see that the image is a little fuzzy and all the white text get some ghosting I can't quite describe. I'll post a picture shortly but putting the consoles side to side, the image is more blurry on components.

I will compare them later this day.

Man, you even got the giant enemy crab game.
Is that one?! I always thought that the Giant Enemy Crab was on a Dynasty Warriors game since the little I played on the living room PS3 just looked like a Onimusha clone.

I still miss my fat PS3. And that original orchestral startup! It sounds so good.

I hope the PS5 brings us another great startup jingle.
That's what I was saying! The original orchestra sounds better IMHO than the updated one, it's like the tunning of the instruments have more impact on the original one. And also took me back to when I first heard a live orchestra playing Ode To Joy at the theater when I was a kid.

Vita and PS4 having no startup jingle was a heartbreaker. I hope they reconsider putting one in the PS5.

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
man that boot up screen with the classic spiderman font takes me back. I remember my uncle bringing it over to my grandparents house during Christmas and I got to play Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think I'll ever have nostalgia for this generation of consoles with all the hardware issues, slow UIs and tedious install times. Only for the games of that era.

Nov 9, 2017
Got a million PS2 and PS3 games and 60 GB PS3 collecting dust. Anyone know if it would be worth it to get it reballed/repaired and the best way to go about it if I should?

draculabyte

Video Game and Metal Mashup Shirt Design
Verified
Jun 20, 2019
Congratulations, I have the Metal Gear Solid 4 Fat Bundle.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
With regards to your disk turn the power off using the switch on the back then hold the power and eject on the front and turn on at the back. This will force eject the disc and run a fan test (it's loud) then turn off again.

Also a good way to get any crap out of the vents

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I love owning old hardware but honestly I have such bad memories of the PS3. The game installs, the updates, the slow OS.

I remember keeping mine for a few years after the PS4 released and I would shudder at the thought of booting it up. There's a tonne of fantastic games on there but the system level user experience is quite awful.

I still have bad memories of when they "upgraded" the PSN store to that HTML5 thing and it ran like absolute garbage on PS3. It's barely passable on PS4, and they did the same thing on the much weaker PS3. Was unreal, I had a theory they did it to reduce the number of people easily downloading the PS+ games haha.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People mocked Ken Kutaragi 14 years for implying that you should get a second job to get a ps3.

Who is laughing now?