• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is scary. How long does it normally take to get a general damage report?
It's nighttime there so likely not till morning for a full accounting. But major things should be in a few hours. emergency services are going to be concerned with preventing fires, getting power back and saving lives if needed right now.

Oct 27, 2017
I have this huge, two-tiered Ikea desk that I've been meaning to move a few inches to the right but I couldn't possibly manage it on my own with the computer and everything on top of it. After things settled down here, I noticed that the earthquake did it for me--a good two inches. Unfortunate about the scrapes it put into the hardwood floor in the process, though...

Still getting aftershocks here, btw.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Am I going crazy, or has there been quite a few quakes recently?
Like in the last week I'm pretty sure I heard about ones near India and New Zealand I think?

amoy

Oct 28, 2017

気象庁|統合地図ページ

地図コンテンツページです。気象警報、大雨危険度、台風情報、気象情報、天気予報、季節予報、ひまわり、アメダス、ウィンドプロファイラ、海上警報、潮位観測情報、波浪観測情報、津波、地震情報、推計気象分布、震央分布、噴火警報、降灰予報を表示します。

Yikes, it still going off

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I going crazy, or has there been quite a few quakes recently?
Like in the last week I'm pretty sure I heard about ones near India and New Zealand I think?
No more than normal (I follow the USGAs quake site regularly)

気象庁|統合地図ページ

地図コンテンツページです。気象警報、大雨危険度、台風情報、気象情報、天気予報、季節予報、ひまわり、アメダス、ウィンドプロファイラ、海上警報、潮位観測情報、波浪観測情報、津波、地震情報、推計気象分布、震央分布、噴火警報、降灰予報を表示します。

Yikes, it still going off
That looks like a pretty normal aftershock profile. Does anyone know what type of quake this was? Slip strike, blind thrust, mega thrust (unlikely considering it relatively low magnitude) etc?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I had the displeasure of experiencing a 6.1 earthquake and it was terrifying, I can't imagine something even stronger. I hope everyone is safe.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only ever felt tremors and that was enough for me. Can't imagine how scary/unreal a 7.1 magnitude earthquake is.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in LA, I know how it is... it doesn't seem like there will be too many casualties beyond property damage.

To me the scariest part is not knowing how long its gonna last and how long the building you are in can sustain that amount of impact for that amount of time

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh ok.
Dont know much about earthquakes, so was starting to get worried if things were a bit out of place or just par the course.
I tend to overthink things...

Earthquake prediction is notoriously impossible from what we know. Forecasting (which isn't the same as predicting) is a bit better as we can look at the geological record and use GPS to see accumulated stress.

Earthquakes really are some of if not the most powerful energy releases on earth (I think the 2004 and 2011 earthquakes release hundreds of times more energy than every nuke exploaded). They don't give a shit about anything we do on the surface even global events like climate change or asteroid strikes don't change or affect the tectonic plates

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also if you live near a quake zone and are seeing all the stuff fall off shelves get some of this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002VA9NA?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

cheap and will hold things very well. also strap furniture to walls (especially near where you sleep and top heavy stuff). Most injuries and deaths in quakes aren't due to building collapse (this is very rare) but things flying or falling on people and fires post quake.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Daily reminder that Japan sits directly on the edge of a tectonic plate and is one of most prone places on earth where an earthquake can occur.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Earthquake prediction is notoriously impossible from what we know. Forecasting (which isn't the same as predicting) is a bit better as we can look at the geological record and use GPS to see accumulated stress.

Earthquakes really are some of if not the most powerful energy releases on earth (I think the 2004 and 2011 earthquakes release hundreds of times more energy than every nuke exploaded). They don't give a shit about anything we do on the surface even global events like climate change or asteroid strikes don't change or affect the tectonic plates

2021 upping the ante -_-

You are right about the aftershock, still, seeing the intensity rise just a little gives me anxiety.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My sister in law in Chiba Prefecture said her building was shaking pretty hard. But thankfully they're ok.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
we were doing Japanese online lessons and after the 10 minute break our tutor told us about the earthquake. He had to move to Japan because of family circumstances for a while, so now he has to do online classes till 4 in the morning!

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I hope everyone here is okay. I feel like if I lived in Japan, I wouldn't put anything valuable or heavy on shelves...

I say this as someone living in Vancouver, Canada, where there eventually will be an earthquake of consequence. But they are infrequent.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Daily reminder that Japan sits directly on the edge of a tectonic plate and is one of most prone places on earth where an earthquake can occur.
Yep, it's part of the ring of fire, the most seismically active zone in the world. It's got the most reported earthquakes in the world (though this is probably in part due to how robust its earthquake detection system is, some other countries on the ring of fire are thought to have more but be reported less I believe)

That said they also have the absolute best earthquake-proofed infrastructure in the world as another result of this, so if any country is prepared to deal with this stuff it's Japan

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
Out of curiosity, do the railroads and highways shut down to inspect the tracks/road or are they designed for withstanding earthquakes?
I know here in the USA, a bad earthquake would destroy our highways and railroads.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Some stuff felt from my library. For a 4.0 in Tokyo, it was scary

wB6Iz00.png

looking at the room, that cup noodle is probably a model kit.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Tepco has no ETA on fix for the power outage, guess I'll hit the bed.

Stay safe Era.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Out of curiosity, do the railroads and highways shut down to inspect the tracks/road or are they designed for withstanding earthquakes?
I know here in the USA, a bad earthquake would destroy our highways and railroads.

Watching the news right now and looks like several train lines are suspended at the moment, not sure about highways.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you aren't going to want to be on them while the earthquake is on going, but out of necessity Japan has incredibly good infrastructure and protocol for dealing with earthquakes. An earthquake this big has happened a number of times in the past decade, it's not a particularly rare event in Japan

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
roads are designed for seismic risk. depending on where their located. Obviously there will still be damage because it's impossible to know how and where earthquakes will strike.

They send out crews typically based on reports. though power, water, gas are usually first to get fixed since they can cause flooding and fires. if they have the resources typically local police or government agencies can block highway entrances (typically for fear of collapse of overpasses due to aftershocks)

And specifically on railroads Japan and California both have warning systems which can stop trains before an earthquake strikes that area.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I hope everyone is okay, i also hope it doesn't cause the other disaster earthquakes can cause

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
My twitter went crazy with people talking about it. I'm in England and every day it makes me realise how lucky I am I never have to deal with anything like this.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
We checked on our parents in Sendai and they're fine. No disruption of power or other utilities like last time; just a bunch of items that fell and broke along with a piano that moved across the room.